Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Normal paint in a spray can works fine. Can get it from Wal-Mart.

Clear coat is not necessary, and I would actually not recommend it for someone that is just starting out.

Model paint can be purchased from a Hobby or craft store. (have any Hobby Lobby's in your area?)

Actually one just opened up! Thanks alot. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions sooner or later. :lol:

You should be able to get the spray paint there too. Even model paint in a spray can will work fine, even though it's for plastic models.

You should be able to get the spray paint there too. Even model paint in a spray can will work fine, even though it's for plastic models.

Indeed, and it will produce better results than normal spray paint.

Hey Cano, here's how that guy made those wheels:

wheels.jpg

So, I just went to Hobby Lobby to get that paint. I walk up to the cashier with 2 spray cans and one glass jar thingy of model paint and this is our conversation:

Him: Are you over 18?

Me: Uh... I'm 17...

Him: Oh well. Just don't use it for stuff other than painting.

Me:
.jpg

Hey Cano, here's how that guy made those wheels:

Oh so he posted them. I forgot to check back. Freaking cool. I was observing the pics of the Datsun yesterday (I saved them) and was thinking precisely that such a barrel was not from any HW tire I had ever seen, so I was thinking custom made or from another make. I'll indeed have to try this stuff, it looks killer. Never again looking for wheels when you can produce such stuff.

EDIT: I'm also thinking, to get such low profile rubber, they might be custom-made, too. Awesome.

What paint do you use to prime? I am where I found the other testors paint but I don't see anything labeled as primer. Do you just use a white or what?

Edit: Found it. Called Flat gray primer.

Primer color depends on what color you are painting the car. If you plan on painting it a light color, use white. Dark color, either will work.

@ Cano - I wonder where he got those tires? I think he is known for making his own parts though, so they might be completely custom.

R1600Turbo
Primer color depends on what color you are painting the car. If you plan on painting it a light color, use white. Dark color, either will work.

Does gray primer work for white paint?

Gray is the only primer I saw...

@ Cano - I wonder where he got those tires? I think he is known for making his own parts though, so they might be completely custom.

I'm thinking he may have gotten them off some of these:

Hot%20Wheels__Golden%20Submarine_5Iq4.jpg

these are pretty low profile, altough it would be an amazing coincidence that the aluminum tube he used fitted the tire perfectly fine. I already asked.

Depends on the paint. I would wait a couple hours to let the primer dry, then you can start painting slowly. 4-5 light coats are better than 1-2 heavy coats. You can wait about 20-30 minutes between coats, then let the last coat sit at least over night before touching it.

R1600Turbo
Did you make sure the top was dry before you flipped it over?

I redid the primer inside my house because it turned bad when it got cold last night in the garage. I'm also going to paint it correctly this time now that I have a better understanding of how paint works.

Done applying primer. Again. :lol:

Tomorrow I paint!

How do you suggest painting it? Since it is a formula style car I have to paint both top and bottom. The only way I can think of doing it will take a day just to get one or two coats.
Paint, let it dry completely. Flip car, paint other side, let it dry, etc etc.

Cano's diagram is how most people do it. For regular cars I have an old model paint bottle that usually fits inside a car pretty sell, so I use it. May have to go a different route with the Caterham I'm working on.

Back