Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
I accidently got acetone on the plastic windows of a car i was detailing on and the windows became cloudy. Anyone knows how to make it normal again? Lol

I accidently got acetone on the plastic windows of a car i was detailing on and the windows became cloudy. Anyone knows how to make it normal again? Lol

I had a similar question some posts ago. Cano answered my question "Try headlamp polishing compound".
After I have tried I was very happy to see the result.

Before
20171118_211712.jpg

After
20180108_012710.jpg

Sadly, you'll never recover those. At least I've never been able to recover acetone stained windows. Say so if you do but I doubt it.

Acetone dissolves the molecular structure of certain plastics.

In other words, you've physically changed its shape so it has likely lost its smooth surface.

You can get a smooth surface by either leveling everything out via removing layers, or you can remelt the plastic into a mold... both options IMO are not worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Anybody had any experience wheel swapping newer Majorette cars?

_20180328_201036.jpg

Can't find wheels that fit, most of them are too small and would make it look like some lowrider type crap :lol:

Can't find wheels that fit, most of them are too small and would make it look like some lowrider type crap :lol:

Your best bet would be to get a Disney Cars car with decent wheels and using that. Needless to say, it won't be cheap lol.

View attachment 725438

Matchbox's size-1 wheels are just a tad smaller than those, but you can get away with it if you lower the car to have that "fitment" treatment. Thankfully Matchbox size-1s are bigger than Hot Wheels size-1s.

Example of mine:

Mini+Cooper+WRC+(2013+Racing+Cars).jpg

%5BWS%5D+Mini+Cooper+WRC_1.jpg

For bigger SUVs like the Dacia, Size-2 Hot Wheels are pretty close if not spot-on. I refuse to share pics because of the embarrassing job I did on it.

s-l500.jpg

I'm tempted to buy this Best death race replica i'v ever seen .
The ebay listing has it up for 15$ starting bid.

That looks do-able.... to make on your own I mean. Weathering is a great way to capture visually-engaging detail, but it is also easy to do and hard to "get wrong".

Matchbox's size-1 wheels are just a tad smaller than those, but you can get away with it if you lower the car to have that "fitment" treatment. Thankfully Matchbox size-1s are bigger than Hot Wheels size-1s.

Example of mine:

For bigger SUVs like the Dacia, Size-2 Hot Wheels are pretty close if not spot-on. I refuse to share pics because of the embarrassing job I did on it.

That looks do-able.... to make on your own I mean. Weathering is a great way to capture visually-engaging detail, but it is also easy to do and hard to "get wrong".

The seller custom made the front / hood. Polystyrine sheets are like 5$ . Paint is another 5$ . The fact the bumper is hand made using aluminum and not plastic makes it even better . I bought a mad max style buggy off a guy in person who bought it from this seller . Great workmanship .

Example of mine:

What's size-1 and size-2? I usually call them 10mm or 11mm lol. Damn that looks good with those wheels though.

And does the Matchbox wheels fit perfectly or did you need to some adjustment like cutting part of the wheels?

The size notation is something I made up. I've taken apart many HW/MBX wheels and I denote the sizes simply using "1" as the base size of the regular wheel size of each respective brand.

No adjustments. The MBX standard wheels are smaller than Majorette's standard size. I'd say their'e a tad smaller than ideal, but I think it works out as it helped lower the car.

The size notation is something I made up. I've taken apart many HW/MBX wheels and I denote the sizes simply using "1" as the base size of the regular wheel size of each respective brand.

No adjustments. The MBX standard wheels are smaller than Majorette's standard size. I'd say their'e a tad smaller than ideal, but I think it works out as it helped lower the car.
Neat, gonna try this as soon as i get a donor car. Also need to figure out the length of the axle.

Today I had a workshop with my son. He wanted to paint a car. It was very funny. Here is the outcome.

Before:
20160212_111615.jpg

After:
20180422_210859.jpg

After we have painted the car we decided the do a decal on the bonnet before we clear coat it.
In the fruit bowl we found the right decal at a lime.

20180422_214755.jpg

Car is almost detailed. Now he can play with the car.

Yes it is what you mentioned.
Have you used them as well?
If so please show some pics.

Don't think I've ever used revell for die cast, but I used to build a lot of their plastic kits and 55 is a shade I remember well since it's used so often for the underside of WW2 era planes.

I've been playing a fair amount of Gaslands recently, but I haven't had a chance to customise any vehicles of my own yet. From what I've seen there's not a lot of talk about making these Mad Max/Death Race sort of custom jobs, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

upload_2018-4-29_18-31-56.png

I've been playing a fair amount of Gaslands recently, but I haven't had a chance to customise any vehicles of my own yet. From what I've seen there's not a lot of talk about making these Mad Max/Death Race sort of custom jobs, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

View attachment 733032
A trip to Halfords needed !! LOL look for " aluminium mesh " (approx. just under the A4 size ) Not that expensive either ) Also a rattle can of matt black paint !
For the diamond plate parts "M2 1:64's" display bases cut up is in scale !!
Also invest in some scale railway weathering paint ! -- I just brought some ;- AK interactive "Crusted Rust Deposits" paint @12.99 for light ,medium & dark brown 35ml pots ( great for rat rods etc) ;-)
It goes REALLY dry when... er ... dry . LOL -
See my next post of my dioramas for colours !!

Last edited:
Well its been a while !! LOL I've been too busy in my own little world . Literally !!
Hope you like my diorama W.I.P.s
The near side street lights will work - from a shed find dolls house & coffee stirrer straws ( @9volts ) & I have some other detailing to do , like a couple of drilled hole oil drums - sheet plastic- two lines scribed from inside then rolled up & glued - with battery powered "flickering" tea-lights & winter coat cat fur for smoke !!! LMAO

Attachments

• DSCF8350.JPG
    DSCF8350.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF8349.JPG
    DSCF8349.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF8348.JPG
    DSCF8348.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF8347.JPG
    DSCF8347.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF8345.JPG
    DSCF8345.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
So , there was I browsing the respectable internet for a change :eek: , and look what I find .:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: !!
http://www.diecastparts.co.za/product_sub_parts.html
Anyone brought anything from here yet :confused:
Please feel free to put up a list of wants & gots !!
I will , when the cheque from Satan goes through :odd: Who needs a soul anyway ?
( I am not affiliated with this place / persons in any way , I just thought it relevant ! )

I'll be getting all the " Gasser & Kustom " stuff ASAP ! & might end up with JDM bits too . :guilty:

So , there was I browsing the respectable internet for a change :eek: , and look what I find .:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: !!
http://www.diecastparts.co.za/product_sub_parts.html
Anyone brought anything from here yet :confused:
Please feel free to put up a list of wants & gots !!
I will , when the cheque from Satan goes through :odd: Who needs a soul anyway ?
( I am not affiliated with this place / persons in any way , I just thought it relevant ! )

I'll be getting all the " Gasser & Kustom " stuff ASAP ! & might end up with JDM bits too . :guilty:

I wouldn't jump straight into these without researching a bit beforehand. A lot of times these parts end up being poor quality resin stuff. I've known of several horror stories if these aftermarket parts. Ask around or poke in their Facebook page or something before pulling the trigger.

Back