Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by R1600Turbo, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Spencer426

Spencer426

Would it be allowable on here (some forums do get a bit funny about this for advertising problems & spam ..) if you guys out there posted up some respectable alternatives & suggestions for me - In the interest of superior quality fine scale modelling of course :D:rolleyes:
    Thanking you modestly in advance :odd: :cheers:
    Or alternatively , pop up a link to previous posts on here ??

2. Olibob

Olibob

How much would postage be to the UK?

Spencer426 likes this.
  3. Cano

Cano Premium

No, I mean poor quality resin stuff as in parts with air bubbles on them, incomplete due to air bubbles or badly poured resin, and things like that. Its not worth it to pay for such stuff.

4. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Well it's been a while since I have posted here. May go back and look through more pages since I last replied.
    Looks great! I really like the decal, it looks like something I would have seen on a promotional casting from the 90's.

I really like that blue color and the interior looks great in contrast to it! It needs some detailing pretty badly though.

I happen to be a big fan of the Sierra myself, namely the Corgi variant. Here's mine I did years ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oh that thing is sleek! :drool: Those tires really stand out well!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Restaurat likes this.
  5. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Question, but I how can I remove model car paint from a plastic base WITHOUT damaging it? (I attempted the paint the base of a Sierra a while back and it didn't turn out well)

6. Spencer426

Spencer426

I use oven cleaner from our version of a ' thrift store ' ( £ Poundland £ ... guess how much it is ?? :dopey: )
    I use it on my 1:24/5 plastic stuff & its fine . :tup: Test an old bit out first just incase ......
    And use the gloves .... seeing as it does clean ovens!! :D

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  7. Olibob

Olibob

You can't say that anymore as Poundland are starting to sell things for a few quid too!

Spencer426 likes this.
  8. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Yea I have been told to use oven cleaner for this, I am leaning on it. I even had someone tell me to soak it in brake fluid, but I wanted to see what other options I have. Anyways, thanks! :)

9. Spencer426

Spencer426

A little Rat Porsche 356 . Chopped off the roof to start with , then looked in the spares box & saw the blown VW motor & was compelled to do it justice ! Steel wheels from a Pixar Cars model . I will repaint the interior as its awful :yuck:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've only just noticed the motor has shifted forward by a couple of mm . :dunce: Prior preparation prevents p**s poor performance Spence , :banghead:

10. GTboyz

GTboyz

Did a simple replica on the Spoon Integra.

I think i did alright :dopey:
    IMG_20180614_133152.jpg _20180615_111831.jpg
    _20180615_113219.jpg
    IMG_20180614_151514.jpg IMG_20180614_151525.jpg

11. AOS-

AOS- Premium

You said Spoon and I was expecting blue paint.

12. GTboyz

GTboyz

My skill level hasn't reach repainting yet :lol:

13. AOS-

AOS- Premium

But you coloured part of the body in black.

You discriminating against blue paint now?!

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  14. GTboyz

GTboyz

I used Sharpie Stained on that part. Using it on the whole body would be disastrous and ugly :lol:

15. Restaurat

Restaurat

Today was a good day to fulfill a quick wheel swap on a Cadillac Emiraj. Love this casting.

I bought some rubber tires from Malaysia.

Now I got my first real rider car available.

20180701_180752.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  16. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

To those that have done body mods, preferably filling in holes (I know we discussed earlier), what epoxy putty do ya'll use?

Restaurat likes this.
  17. Restaurat

Restaurat

Hey sonygamer455
    you can use milliput for your body mods.

Last weekend I have finished my restauration on an old matchbox casting Mercedes Benz 500 sec that I find in the toybox from my son.
    Here is the result.

Before resauration
    IMG_3274.JPG

Between
    20171118_211647.jpg

Finished
    20180708_214118.jpg 20180708_214102.jpg 20180708_214149.jpg

Is not perfect but I like it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    yabiggoose, DUBer, SVX and 2 others like this.
  18. AOS-

AOS- Premium

Nice work on the tail lights.

What I like to do to make the lamps look like there's a plastic housing over it is to put on a layer of clear nail polish; "top coat" is what it's called. The creates a level of depth that makes the lamps look less flat.

example:

[​IMG]

Edit: I lied, I didn't use top coat on this. I had actually used a translucent black paint by Tamiya over black marker covering silver paint to give it a smoked lamp cover look. I think the black paint dissolved the marker and silver paint underneath revealing parts of the body's blue paint.

Sonygamer455, Restaurat and SVX like this.
  19. Jezza819

Jezza819

I need to go get all of my Hot Wheel and Matchbox cars out of the storage shed and do something with them. I would rather they go to folks that appreciate them. It would be better than them just sitting out there in that storage unit year after year doing nothing. I've got a lot of those old open body full metal cars too.

20. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

So, remember that ex Corgi Ferrari 308 GTS I bought years ago? Well as of a few months ago, I finally got the wheels I wanted for it after all these years, then I found out the axles were too short and it wasn't until yesterday I got more tubing. I hate I had to do the tubing method because I highly prefer just dropping the axles in and not having to modify the base, especially on a casting like this, but oh well. IMG_2816[1].JPG IMG_2817[1].JPG
    Probably the most predictable set of wheels I could have ever put on it, but I have never seen it done to this particular ex Corgi casting, just the Hot Wheels variant and it's what I have wanted to put on it for the past 5 years now. Quite happy with the result! :D

Theoretically, I could put a set of wheels one size bigger than these, but I don't have any of this type because these wheels are difficult to come by around here. You can't really tell in these photos, but their appears to be enough room for a bigger set of wheels. I'm also debating on detailing the body of this thing, but I am not sure if I want to keep it simple or go all out.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    yabiggoose likes this.
  21. Cano

Cano Premium

Dude :/ you went trough all the hassle of basically redoing the base so you could piut the tubing in there, and didn't fix the ride height while you were at it? The thing looks like a truck. Sorry.

Restaurat likes this.
  22. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Well I'm now having an issue with the tubing, so I am in the process of cutting some more. Not too bothered by the ride height, but I suppose it would look a little better lowered. I'll try to lower it some. I should point out the base is bent slightly near the back from when I disassembled the casting.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Restaurat likes this.
  23. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Okay sorry for the double post, but I dropped the ride height right much and it looks better now. It's a bit lower than what I wanted, but I guess it will do for now, and yes it still rolls just fine and doesn't rub against the body. It actually looks better in person than it does in this photo.
    IMG_2820[1].JPG
    Now, the next thing I am debating on is whether I should go all out and detail the body (things like the vents on the hood, license plate, trim, etc.) or keep it simple and leave it as it is like I originally planned. This casting isn't exactly one I could easily find again, in fact it's only the second one I have ever seen. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Cano likes this.
  24. CoffeeJoe

CoffeeJoe

Just a couple of things I have done in the past. The little red indy type racer and the green pick-up are both Tootsie Toys, painted and wheels upgraded. The Orange 32 Ford is a Maisto from Dollar tree that is basically stock with paint detail and has been re-wheeled.

Attached Files:

Sonygamer455 and Olibob like this.
  25. Sub72

Sub72

C980BDF2-3D22-4ECD-9381-65EABEEA4168.jpeg Hello everyone i am a new member in this forum. This is my latest creation, probably the first real custom i do, others are just detailings and wheels swaps. What do you think of it? What should i do to it to make it better?

Attached Files:

Olibob and Sonygamer455 like this.
  26. CoffeeJoe

CoffeeJoe

I hated the look of the 50th anniversary Gran Sport Corvette. The wheels are ugly and that orange under-carraige is horrid.

So....I changed them up a bit. Hope you like it...I do. IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1506.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG

Zychotic1 and Sonygamer455 like this.
  27. Zychotic1

Zychotic1

definitely needed that wheelswap
    orange base I can live with given the HW livery

28. Cano

Cano Premium

Impossibly better :tup: detail it up with care! Why leave it half Unfinished? Go all out, it's already halfway there.

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  29. CoffeeJoe

CoffeeJoe

IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1528.JPG

This was a military WWII jeep that Matchbox put out. I re-wheeled it (took some effort to get the wheels to roll) and did some detail painting. Think it came out pretty cool! I got a lot of compliments on it already.

Cano likes this.
  30. CoffeeJoe

CoffeeJoe

Naah. That bottom orange was hideous. I am a collector but there are very VERY few of my cars still in packages. I can't help it....it is a car and I like to roll them around!!

Zychotic1 likes this.