Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Would it be allowable on here (some forums do get a bit funny about this for advertising problems & spam ..) if you guys out there posted up some respectable alternatives & suggestions for me - In the interest of superior quality fine scale modelling of course :D:rolleyes:
Thanking you modestly in advance :odd: :cheers:
Or alternatively , pop up a link to previous posts on here ??

Poor quality resin? You mean stuff we can just paint over and make it look like a million bucks?

No, I mean poor quality resin stuff as in parts with air bubbles on them, incomplete due to air bubbles or badly poured resin, and things like that. Its not worth it to pay for such stuff.

Well it's been a while since I have posted here. May go back and look through more pages since I last replied.
Today I had a workshop with my son. He wanted to paint a car. It was very funny. Here is the outcome.

Before:
View attachment 731591

After:
View attachment 731592

After we have painted the car we decided the do a decal on the bonnet before we clear coat it.
In the fruit bowl we found the right decal at a lime.

View attachment 731593

Car is almost detailed. Now he can play with the car.
Looks great! I really like the decal, it looks like something I would have seen on a promotional casting from the 90's.

I have painted my costum Ford P100 as well.
This is how it looks like. I'm not realy happy with the result.
But it is not finished yet. I will detail the car and maybe I can recover this.

View attachment 731855 View attachment 731856
I really like that blue color and the interior looks great in contrast to it! It needs some detailing pretty badly though.

I happen to be a big fan of the Sierra myself, namely the Corgi variant. Here's mine I did years ago.
505748-28556968e1c275fca0f8691eae8613fb.jpg

505749-7633e099e4af4d650c22ac0afe4550e9.jpg

505744-5ed37123db5b38b5b70aea54fbd6d2cb.jpg

Hot Wheels1936 Cord

View attachment 734188

I painted the interior & windows black.
Looks more mafia-like now.
Oh that thing is sleek! :drool: Those tires really stand out well!

Last edited:
Question, but I how can I remove model car paint from a plastic base WITHOUT damaging it? (I attempted the paint the base of a Sierra a while back and it didn't turn out well)

I use oven cleaner from our version of a ' thrift store ' ( £ Poundland £ ... guess how much it is ?? :dopey: )
I use it on my 1:24/5 plastic stuff & its fine . 👍 Test an old bit out first just incase ......
And use the gloves .... seeing as it does clean ovens!! :D

I use oven cleaner from our version of a ' thrift store ' ( £ Poundland £ ... guess how much it is ?? :dopey: )
I use it on my 1:24/5 plastic stuff & its fine . 👍 Test an old bit out first just incase ......
And use the gloves .... seeing as it does clean ovens!! :D
Yea I have been told to use oven cleaner for this, I am leaning on it. I even had someone tell me to soak it in brake fluid, but I wanted to see what other options I have. Anyways, thanks! :)

A little Rat Porsche 356 . Chopped off the roof to start with , then looked in the spares box & saw the blown VW motor & was compelled to do it justice ! Steel wheels from a Pixar Cars model . I will repaint the interior as its awful :yuck:
35dee872846da9ac4a28b59ffb679c9a.jpg
8a5581de2b68aef430ff03fb3d4a5863.jpg

I've only just noticed the motor has shifted forward by a couple of mm . :dunce: Prior preparation prevents p**s poor performance Spence , :banghead:

Today was a good day to fulfill a quick wheel swap on a Cadillac Emiraj. Love this casting.

I bought some rubber tires from Malaysia.

Now I got my first real rider car available.

20180701_180752.jpg

Last edited:
To those that have done body mods, preferably filling in holes (I know we discussed earlier), what epoxy putty do ya'll use?

Hey sonygamer455
you can use milliput for your body mods.

Last weekend I have finished my restauration on an old matchbox casting Mercedes Benz 500 sec that I find in the toybox from my son.
Here is the result.

Before resauration
IMG_3274.JPG

Between
20171118_211647.jpg

Finished
20180708_214118.jpg
20180708_214102.jpg
20180708_214149.jpg

Is not perfect but I like it.

Last edited:
Nice work on the tail lights.

What I like to do to make the lamps look like there's a plastic housing over it is to put on a layer of clear nail polish; "top coat" is what it's called. The creates a level of depth that makes the lamps look less flat.

example:

[OO]+Chevy+Corvette+Grand+Sport_2.jpg

Edit: I lied, I didn't use top coat on this. I had actually used a translucent black paint by Tamiya over black marker covering silver paint to give it a smoked lamp cover look. I think the black paint dissolved the marker and silver paint underneath revealing parts of the body's blue paint.

I need to go get all of my Hot Wheel and Matchbox cars out of the storage shed and do something with them. I would rather they go to folks that appreciate them. It would be better than them just sitting out there in that storage unit year after year doing nothing. I've got a lot of those old open body full metal cars too.

So, remember that ex Corgi Ferrari 308 GTS I bought years ago? Well as of a few months ago, I finally got the wheels I wanted for it after all these years, then I found out the axles were too short and it wasn't until yesterday I got more tubing. I hate I had to do the tubing method because I highly prefer just dropping the axles in and not having to modify the base, especially on a casting like this, but oh well.
IMG_2816[1].JPG
IMG_2817[1].JPG

Probably the most predictable set of wheels I could have ever put on it, but I have never seen it done to this particular ex Corgi casting, just the Hot Wheels variant and it's what I have wanted to put on it for the past 5 years now. Quite happy with the result! :D

Theoretically, I could put a set of wheels one size bigger than these, but I don't have any of this type because these wheels are difficult to come by around here. You can't really tell in these photos, but their appears to be enough room for a bigger set of wheels. I'm also debating on detailing the body of this thing, but I am not sure if I want to keep it simple or go all out.

Last edited:
So, remember that ex Corgi Ferrari 308 GTS I bought years ago? Well as of a few months ago, I finally got the wheels I wanted for it after all these years, then I found out the axles were too short and it wasn't until yesterday I got more tubing. I hate I had to do the tubing method because I highly prefer just dropping the axles in and not having to modify the base, especially on a casting like this, but oh well.
Probably the most predictable set of wheels I could have ever put on it, but I have never seen it done to this particular ex Corgi casting, just the Hot Wheels variant and it's what I have wanted to put on it for the past 5 years now. Quite happy with the result! :D
Theoretically, I could put a set of wheels one size bigger than these, but I don't have any of this type because these wheels are difficult to come by around here. You can't really tell in these photos, but their appears to be enough room for a bigger set of wheels. I'm also debating on detailing the body of this thing, but I am not sure if I want to keep it simple or go all out.

Dude :/ you went trough all the hassle of basically redoing the base so you could piut the tubing in there, and didn't fix the ride height while you were at it? The thing looks like a truck. Sorry.

Well I'm now having an issue with the tubing, so I am in the process of cutting some more. Not too bothered by the ride height, but I suppose it would look a little better lowered. I'll try to lower it some. I should point out the base is bent slightly near the back from when I disassembled the casting.

Last edited:
Okay sorry for the double post, but I dropped the ride height right much and it looks better now. It's a bit lower than what I wanted, but I guess it will do for now, and yes it still rolls just fine and doesn't rub against the body. It actually looks better in person than it does in this photo.
IMG_2820[1].JPG

Now, the next thing I am debating on is whether I should go all out and detail the body (things like the vents on the hood, license plate, trim, etc.) or keep it simple and leave it as it is like I originally planned. This casting isn't exactly one I could easily find again, in fact it's only the second one I have ever seen. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Just a couple of things I have done in the past. The little red indy type racer and the green pick-up are both Tootsie Toys, painted and wheels upgraded. The Orange 32 Ford is a Maisto from Dollar tree that is basically stock with paint detail and has been re-wheeled.

Attachments

• IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 20
C980BDF2-3D22-4ECD-9381-65EABEEA4168.jpeg
Hello everyone i am a new member in this forum. This is my latest creation, probably the first real custom i do, others are just detailings and wheels swaps. What do you think of it? What should i do to it to make it better?

Attachments

• B219F0F3-F845-4627-9A3D-0ABCF60E918F.jpeg
    B219F0F3-F845-4627-9A3D-0ABCF60E918F.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 22
  • 1663E942-1849-45F6-8B3F-91FD0E2D3660.jpeg
    1663E942-1849-45F6-8B3F-91FD0E2D3660.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 23
Okay sorry for the double post, but I dropped the ride height right much and it looks better now. It's a bit lower than what I wanted, but I guess it will do for now, and yes it still rolls just fine and doesn't rub against the body. It actually looks better in person than it does in this photo.
View attachment 757489
Now, the next thing I am debating on is whether I should go all out and detail the body (things like the vents on the hood, license plate, trim, etc.) or keep it simple and leave it as it is like I originally planned. This casting isn't exactly one I could easily find again, in fact it's only the second one I have ever seen. What do you guys think?

Impossibly better 👍 detail it up with care! Why leave it half Unfinished? Go all out, it's already halfway there.

IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG

This was a military WWII jeep that Matchbox put out. I re-wheeled it (took some effort to get the wheels to roll) and did some detail painting. Think it came out pretty cool! I got a lot of compliments on it already.

Back