Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Not really sure where else to ask about this but I think it is close enough here.

So, has anyone take apart a Tarmac Works 1/64 model before and is it easy to fix?

I got their LP750 recently and noticed a defect on one wheel having higher ride height than the other 3 and I'm wondering is it possible to fix it myself.

Normal:
MhrQa39.jpg

Defect:
2pLGXqm.jpg

Not really sure where else to ask about this but I think it is close enough here.

So, has anyone take apart a Tarmac Works 1/64 model before and is it easy to fix?

I got their LP750 recently and noticed a defect on one wheel having higher ride height than the other 3 and I'm wondering is it possible to fix it myself.

Normal:
MhrQa39.jpg

Defect:
2pLGXqm.jpg

They're screwed together instead of riveted, right? Open it up and take a look, might be easy.
Also, try not to touch the emblems on the wheels too much, they like to come off.

Normal:
MhrQa39.jpg

Defect:
2pLGXqm.jpg
My Audi R8 is also like that.

They're screwed together instead of riveted, right? Open it up and take a look, might be easy.
Also, try not to touch the emblems on the wheels too much, they like to come off.

Yea they are screws, I was holding off from dismantling it because I was trying to ask for a replacement from the seller but no luck with that.

I did take a look at it last night, it looks to be poor tolerance on the small bump that the wheels are sitting. One side is way lower than it should, I tried tape to make it higher and balance but it doesnt work well either. End up just removing the wheels shaft support and let the wheels hit the body of the car, it no longer rolls but at least it looks decent in display.

Will try some other ways to get it leveled when I have time.

My Audi R8 is also like that.

That sucks, I was planning on getting one but has been hold off from getting it after that LP750. I'll probably skip it and stick to other brands for now.

I found an unimog w406 in my soons box. It was in very bad condition. I can remember my father has been painted this car an gave it new wheels in the early '80 as well.
I repainted the Unimog and did a wheel swap as well and a new shiny lock.

IMG_3271.JPG

Repainted
20190707_234040.jpg

20190707_234049.jpg

20190707_234128.jpg

20190707_234138.jpg

The wheels are not real riders but it is ok.

Here is an outlook what I'am dealing with.

Nissan 370z. I got the idea to repaint the Nissan may be with FlicFlac paint. I'm going to do camber wheels.

20190711_074702[1].jpg

The second project I got is the Chevy Chevelle SS. I used the roof for my Impala modification maybe you remeber.
I grab the roof of the impala and attached it to the Chevelle by using putty.
Next step was to grind the putty down to take shape.

20190711_104919[1].jpg

20190606_192347[1].jpg

20190612_233146[1].jpg

20190612_233206[1].jpg

20190612_233136[1].jpg

I will keep you informed about the progress.

Update:

Now I have almost finished the chevy chevelle.
I'm currently looking for a windshield.

20200417_204609.jpg

20200417_204108.jpg

20200417_203955.jpg

20200418_140725.jpg

20200418_140449.jpg

20200418_140259.jpg

20200418_140109.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you hand made that body kit? That's really good!

Thanks. Im really diggin the hobby and Milliput is awesome. I wasnt sure what or how to create widebody cars. So i carved what i thought might look cool. I made mistakes but learned some tricks too. Next one should go easier. Already looking forward to the next one. Cant wait to try some new ideas.

canepa 2 800.JPG
View attachment 818758 Found at a 2nd Hand Store, some considerate soul put three Porsche’s together with a F1, plus a tractor and some oddity that were tossed$3.50 for four. The Majorette F1 looks a little like a Benetton 1987, the white “Hong Kong” has a “DRS” hinged rear wing, nice details on the front. The Black Majorette 1/57 scale Turbo needs new wheels. The day-glo Corgi needs a lot of resto-modding. Anyway, four more more for the drill and paint remover.

So the White 935 diecast, which with some investigation appears to be a Welly, got a restoration mod into a Bruce Canepa 935. Messed up the hood banner so that will come later, otherwise a nice "hot wheel"

canepa 4 800.JPG

canepa 1 800.JPG

This may not be the correct forum, but I googled and this is what came up. My friends are looking to have custom police cruisers made, the same size as hotwheels/matchbox/etc. for their wedding in January. They will be used as seating cards, as both of them are police officers. They want the cars painted to look like our department cars. I have searched high and low and after speaking to one gentleman and receiving a quote of about $5k for 5 inch cars, I thought there has to be someone somewhere who can help. Does anyone have any thoughts? If this is impossible to have done, we understand and will start looking at other ideas!
I have included a photo of what she is trying to do. Our cruisers are silver/grey with a black stripe on the side and red lettering.

Attachments

• Herrington-on-the-Bay-Wedding-Lauras-Focus-Photography-18-701x467.jpg
    Herrington-on-the-Bay-Wedding-Lauras-Focus-Photography-18-701x467.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 38
You're looking to commission someone to make a bulk load of custom toy cars.

Given how little time is left, I think it will be impossible to have it done on time unless you deal with someone who does this for a living. This thread is all hobbyists unfortunately.

In the mission of ridding myself from a load of lesser-valued cars, I found myself re-evaluating why I picked up certain castings and releases, and whether I still have any desire to continue keeping them. Other times, I went through my bin of disassembled spares I had saved for future projects, and decided to restore them to their original state as I sold off the mint condition ones.

Of course there is always room for improving mainline Hot Wheels, so let's look at some I've completed recently:

24%2BOurs%2B%2528window%2Bswap%2529.jpg

24%2BOurs_1.jpg

24%2BOurs_2.jpg

Keeping it mild here. I like the decal design and colour palette of this one. Although not a major drawback, the yellow windows was something that I sought the opportunity to swap out with all the other 24 Ours I was exiting out of the collection. While I was at it, I coloured in some holes and lamp sockets. I've got another 24 Ours to fix up, but that's still in the bin of never-ending projects.

Aston%2BMartin%2BDBS%2BVolante%2B%2528detailed%2529.jpg

Aston%2BMartin%2BDBS%2BVolante%2Bdetailed_2.JPG

Aston%2BMartin%2BDBS%2BVolante%2Bdetailed_3.JPG

Sold my original silver, but had this saved for the Dream Cruisers series. For the newer folks around here, the series focused on convertibles and roadsters being repainted in nail polish enamel. The result was flamboyant colours and scenic diorama photos. That was years ago. Life happens, and modding HWs is no longer as high priority as it was. So I've cut out all the ideas that are weak in foundation and not creative. This was one of them. I've touched up all the minor grills that Matchbox didn't colour in, as well as giving some detail to the center console.

Aston%2BMartin%2BOne-77%2B%2528wheelswap%2529.jpg

Aston%2BMartin%2BOne-77_1.jpg

Aston%2BMartin%2BOne-77_2.jpg

Aston%2BMartin%2BOne-77_3.jpg

This was previously lowered and wheelswapped, but decided to do a bit more this time, and removed the black center stripe.

Mercedes%2BSL55%2BAMG%2B%2528detailed%2529.jpg

Mercedes%2BSL55_1.JPG

Mercedes%2BSL55_2.JPG

Also sold off the original, and pulled this out of the Dream Cruisers queue. Painted the grey plastic to get a black interior, and coloured in the bumper's lower grills.

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BHT%2B2000GTX%2B%2528detailed%2529.jpg

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BHakosuka_1.JPG

Nissan%2BSkyline%2BHakosuka_3.JPG

Where can I find a range of replacement wheels like real riders please? Struggling to find a stockist.
Search Ebay for 1/64 Hot Wheels wheel rims - in the UK theres a stockist called 'toysofdurham' who do many aftermarket wheels

On instagram theres a few, for example Tarmac Works

Greenlight do a few wheel sets

Theres a few more facebook and instagram sites who sell wheels too

I almost didn't want to pull this out of the package, but the totally clear windows & small wheels were bugging me.
View attachment 896006 my remake of a Hot wheels Mercedes 2.6.
It's unfortunate this casting is missing the side mirrors. In my opinion, it is a huge takeaway from any 1/64 scale model to not include the mirrors in the cast.

So I have been watching Matchbox Garage on Youtube lately and I have noticed he uses caustic soda combined with boiling water to remove the paint. Has anyone tried this by the way? Is it more effective than paint stripper and how safe (or unsafe) is it?

Back