Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
IMG_1700.JPG

A friends race car and its 1/64th clone! found the Chevelle at a second hand store and had to build it for him!

Well, now it's too cold to spray and with no spray booth will have to wait for spring to give the aerosol can a shake. In the meantime looking like a zamac version (with 'shopped lights)

355 800.JPG

355b 800.JPG
e

low cost Maisto wheels fit nicely with no axle mods needed and suit the Ferrari "5 point star" trope.

Hey guys, its quit silent here since one month ago. I decided to post one of my newest project. I like US cars from the 60's. I took the 65 Impala Coupe and cuted off the roof because I would like to have an impala wagon but I couldt found them at stores.
Please take a look at my pictures.
2018-06-19 19.52.44.jpg

The roof comes from the chevelle SS.

'65 Chevy Impalla.jpg

Imala '65

20190227_171415.jpg

20190301_215304.jpg

Now I an put the airbrushgun out.

Enjoy.
To be continous...

Attachments

• 20190228_231849.jpg
    20190228_231849.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I tried out D-I-Y Waterslide decals and quite pleased with the result, even for 1/64. Disappointed the Matchbox Safari Porsche was missing a key hood element, so I made my own.
Clear decal paper, inkjet printer with image set for 600 px at 1200 dpi, so ~1/2" or 13mm wide.
Let dry overnite, spray with acrylic non-yellow gloss clearcoat, a nice uniform wetted coat.
Let dry a couple of days.
Then cut/trim, soak 20 secs and side them on.
Testor's decal set doesn't seem to be absorbed through the clearcoat but let dry then use coat with Pledge Gloss floor shine. Decals are thin enough to drape over casting impressions and bend around curves. Less than 1/4" or 6mm size a little too small to handle. This one came out well and showed fine details.

porschesafari 800.JPG

decal test 800.JPG

safari 911 800.JPG

Will try more "Hood Wraps" with iconic livery.

So, as I usually do when sent off to the grocery store on my own accord, I picked up a few new cars.
20190331_165920.jpg
I got the Audi Quattro
20190331_165933.jpg
An FD Rx7
20190331_165938.jpg
And a Skyline RS-Turbo
20190331_165943.jpg

We are moving in the next month or so. Selling our house and moving into an apartment for a while. Since I won't be able to partake in any of my other hobbies while living there, I am finally going to give modding HWs a go.
The first car I plan on doing is this FB Rx7
20190331_170233.jpg
I have several of these, so I won't be to bummed if something goes wrong. For now I think I will just do wheels and paint, however I do have a few aspirations to include trophy truck build and swapping some bodies over to micro RC chassis'.

Like the bottom set personally. I don't much care for chrome, the middle set is good, but would look better on something a little older.
It's not chrome though. Yeah I personally like the bottom too, but the wheels wouldn't roll for the bottom one. Only the middle one rolls.

D3AB3333-5789-45BE-B0B2-C483DE1A7A59.jpeg
Found at a 2nd Hand Store, some considerate soul put three Porsche’s together with a F1, plus a tractor and some oddity that were tossed$3.50 for four. The Majorette F1 looks a little like a Benetton 1987, the white “Hong Kong” has a “DRS” hinged rear wing, nice details on the front. The Black Majorette 1/57 scale Turbo needs new wheels. The day-glo Corgi needs a lot of resto-modding. Anyway, four more more for the drill and paint remover.

Well, I finally got my second wind and got back to customizing Hot Wheels again.

Took my Greyhound MC-8 Bus apart a while back and it's just as I suspected, it really does have a metal interior. Metal body, metal interior, and a metal base. You could say this thing is Metal/Metal/Metal, literally. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason they only had 3 of these. What I'd give to know the metal cost.
7624939F-FAB5-4EF8-B90B-66C17436F051.jpeg

Been watching baremetalhw a lot lately and one of his videos mentioned using Lime-Away to remove oxidation from Hot Wheels.

So I did that with the body, interior and base and then went over it with steel wool and while it's not "perfect", it's looking MUCH better than it did before and it's much shinier too! :D Unfortunately I neglected to get some "before" pics, but here is the result:
0E42F133-10A0-49FC-BF73-77480C2396FA.jpeg

45F8CB4E-5155-4ADF-89F8-2E6F8E07E9B6.jpeg
93159ED5-500C-4AE1-8EA7-8C847477B215.jpeg

Going to paint this one and give it some new wheels later.

Well, pardon the bad photo, but here a wheel swap of that Tipping Lorry I bought years ago and a little proof of concept as well! I swapped out those cheap Corgi wheels it came with the rear wheels from the Batman vs. Superman Batmobile currently on the pegs. The wheels are a whole size bigger than the ones it typically comes with and they fit just fine! I didn't even have to modify the body to make them fit, but I did have to do the brass tubing method since the axles were too short, which obviously includes modifying the chassis. However, I can reasonably certain if you found these wheels with the right size axle, it should be a simple drag and drop.
IMG_0481.JPG

Overall, I am thoroughly satisfied with the wheels on this thing and I could not ask for a better set for it! The color seems to fit it pretty well in my opinion.
IMG_0482.JPG

I also detailed the headlights with my white painter's pen some and it turned out pretty well! However, I'd like ya'lls input on the grill, should I paint it black or chrome? Not sure what color I want honestly.

So I need some opinions. I stripped that blue Tipping Lorry I got recently:
IMG_0496.JPG

I have two colors in mind, both of which I used on the Honda Civics as an example, but I am not sure what I want to go with.
IMG_0495.JPG

Which color do ya'll think I should go with for the Tipping Lorry?

Back