How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off The Rain Effects....

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by anthonyfa18, Aug 29, 2019.

?

Has Polyphony Digital Maxed out the PS4??

1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. NO

69 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. Not Sure

74 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

Amazing attention to detail.

2. icenl

icenl

I really like how they did the rain effects in cockpit view, but when using rear or bumper cam the rain effect is minimized to only a wet track. Maybe they could add a raindrop effect to the "tv" screen when using those views to add some immersion?

When watching a replay the rain effects are some of the best i have seen, especially with the headlights illuminating the track surface.

JEverettL, Knukel, GTracer125 and 5 others like this.
  3. Donnced

Donnced

Well visually I think GT could be stronger,it's fixed time and climate.

Pcars 2 has to process more being totally dynamic time of day and climate,also track surface is dynamic with puddles filling up,influating in car behaviour,drying line..also influating on car behaviour..

So in my opinion pcars 2 is quite a different beast and a step further as what GT sport offers today.
    I prefer a bit less visual effects and dynamic climate, track surface and influence changing on car behaviour.

4. Bloodytears

Bloodytears

In means of looks, it's really ahead of Project Cars 2, but in the way of performance wise, I'm still think, no matter how I hate it, Project Cars rain is more real. If run into a puddle in PC2 you can feel the force or water, you can hear how car splash into a water, and in heavy storms you can witness how track turns into a river, minute by minute.

But to sum up, I personally take GT's rain all the way. It doesn't ruin the dynamics and satisfy eyes. Guess that PD could do much better, but current state is more than enough.

5. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

I can’t get over how the replay look so real, Thank you again Polyphony digital I hope we get more wet tracks, I would love to see tracks like spa (when it’s comes) Blue moon infield, of corse nurburgring and Suzuka

6. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

7. Vspectra

Vspectra

8. ice_Blazer66

ice_Blazer66

It was to be expected that the rain in GTS will not get on a Driveclub Level.

For a 60 FPS Game did PD a fantastic job anyway

9. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens Premium

They pulled it off by pre-baking all the lighting and road reflections. The windscreen droplets are pretty tame, they hardly respond to the car movement or wind speed like they do in Driveclub.

That's on a base ps4 (hence the 720p video quality) before the pro even existed.

The dynamic lighting is on a different level. The sky is fully dynamic and different every race

And then there's night, snow, lightning, exciting!

GTS does a good job at making it look clean and pretty. The spray effects are better, yet also look a bit exaggerated like you're driving behind 10 wheelers. Those videos are from December 2014, real time gameplay, no replay effects...

ferhound, Cytoria, JoueurGT and 5 others like this.
  10. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

.....and 30 FPS + limited to 12 cars tops.

GT6mebe likes this.
  11. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens Premium

True, DC could not pull off rain nor dynamic day/night in VR 60 fps. Neither can GTS so far with only one other car on track :/

I had high hopes for full dynamic day/night/weather this gen after GT6. So to finally get one static wet track in 2019 (after the one wet license test challenge) is a bit underwhelming. Still looks pretty and does affect the handling more than it did in DriveClub. Baby steps.

12. ARTAsean

ARTAsean (Banned)

The effect of leading car spray on the windshield is completely nonexistent.

I’m not complaining, just pointing out one pretty glaring omission. Other than that, rain is perfectly executed, IMO.

Pedinhuh, GTR365, BaareCZ and 2 others like this.
  13. rhalgr

rhalgr

Agree. Every developer has to make sacrifices and real or realistic weather is still nowhere to be seen imo. We'll probably need PS5 to get realistic rain all around.

Don't get me wrong GTS look great, but some effects are still nonexistent.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  14. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

JoueurGT and rhalgr like this.
  15. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

Kudos to PD for actually putting effort into the rain. This gives me hope that one day hopefully we will see Lemans with night time. I hope night time with rain is on the cards. But I can live with just lemans night time really.

anthonyfa18 likes this.
  16. KepleroGT

KepleroGT

Can someone tell me how to turn down the rain splash sound? I almost can't hear my car over it.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it's part of the race sounds? If not, then hopefully there's an opinion to adjust the rain volume separately. It can be grating at times.

18. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

19. KepleroGT

KepleroGT

I tried to adjust the race sounds to 0 but I just don't hear anything, so rain sound can't be turned down separately.

20. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

rhalgr and KepleroGT like this.
  21. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

JoueurGT likes this.
  22. Satomiblood

Satomiblood

Nice comparison. I kind of don't see the point to rainfall at dusk since it looks pretty underwhelming compared to the others, plus the sky looks like a storm has just ended. It should've just been a wet surface condition (no precipitation).

anthonyfa18 and RUI like this.
  23. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

How did the new GR Supra fare during the rain?

24. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

The the dusk,Reflection of the sun on the track look so good in hdr and 4K

25. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

For some quotes I found to keep on topic

With the event coming this week can we be getting more wet tracks, is the 1.40 update that show use a look at the new rain and then at 1.43 we good first full wet track with 3 type of wet Conditions at the redbull ring.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  26. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

JEverettL and Scaff like this.
  27. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

I made these comparisons for you GTP folks. 45 + 27 minutes of torture comparison made up with 10 different road cars, 5 GT3 cars, and 2 Group C cars, so doubled up as sound comparisons. Good luck.

28. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

Look like the next track to get wet racing is Tokyo expressway

29. silverman_GT

silverman_GT

I can already hear my SR screaming

of course it all comes down with the fact i'm no professional in the rain :lol:

nickf1gr, Letadlo and JEverettL like this.
  30. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18