How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off The Rain Effects....

Has Polyphony Digital Maxed out the PS4??

• Yes

Votes: 93 37.8%
  • NO

Votes: 77 31.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 76 30.9%

• Total voters
So it’s now Official the next track to get wet is Tokyo express and it’s looks even better then the redbull ring, even jimmy say it While commentating the Race that the wet track Reflection look amzing, thank you aging Polyphony digital for your hard work and Continued support of Gt Sport on the PS4 platform

So it’s now Official the next track to get wet is Tokyo express and it’s looks even better then the redbull ring, even jimmy say it While commentating the Race that the wet track Reflection look amzing, thank you aging Polyphony digital for your hard work and Continued support of Gt Sport on the PS4 platform

Uhm, yes and no.
Let me eloborate: While the reflections do look more beautifull and seems to be more present, the drops however does not come close to what we get in the current Red bull ring build (or more specifically the 1.40 patch) it kinda looks like the drops from when we had that rain event in the mission stage (before 1.40 patch).
Obviously this is an indication of an unfinished build.

Screenshot_20190915-012846_YouTube.jpg

Uhm, yes and no.
Let me eloborate: While the reflections do look more beautifull and seems to be more present, the drops however does not come close to what we get in the current Red bull ring build (or more specifically the 1.40 patch) it kinda looks like the drops from when we had that rain event in the mission stage (before 1.40 patch).
Obviously this is an indication of an unfinished build.

View attachment 851033

that is because the zonda r, together with another group of cars, is not updated with the new rain effects.

That looks amazing, really didn't expect them to bring rain in this scale 👍.

...I find it really interesting that they've did the tunnel without wet surface, however I didn't notice if there are rain tracks from tires when entering tunnel, or if there is a bit more dry parts when exiting. Also I wonder how the physics is working on a track with two different surface types. Hope we get Tokyo in next update...

However I still think grass is not made realistic physics wise when it is raining. Not sure if you guys did notice when real races are held on wet conditions, but basically if a car goes off track, that's it... it slides like on ice... So PD needs to address this in my opinion.

Too bad it won't have dynamic time if that's the case.

Gran Turismo Sport Sacrificing Dynamic Weather to Maintain 60 FPS

https://www.eteknix.com/gran-turismo-sport-sacrificing-dynamic-weather-maintain-60-fps/

Yep. You can actually get your rear end out after the apex of the left knowing your tyres will bite when you hit the dry stuff. It was actually quite interesting.

Thanks for the update and u had a amzing run in world tour, did u get any info how manny more track will get rain update and will Polyphony digital Continue to update gt sport all the way Through 2020???

Thanks for the update and u had a amzing run in world tour, did u get any info how manny more track will get rain update and will Polyphony digital Continue to update gt sport all the way Through 2020???

Thanks! No we didn't, sorry. :) there will at least be a couple more updates but I think that's common knowledge anyway.

that is because the zonda r, together with another group of cars, is not updated with the new rain effects.
Oh for real? I dont have the Zonda R but is it true that some cars are not updated with the rain particle effects?

If so I would like to try this out myself.

Thanks! No we didn't, sorry. :) there will at least be a couple more updates but I think that's common knowledge anyway.

i just really hope we get continued support for 2020, and more new tracks, wet whether and of course more cars

Maybe not dynamic weather but no time progression, is it not just a continuous texture swap of light to dark??? they already have 4 in place, so why can’t they bridge the gap with textures in between?
Or do they want the engine to do a full 24hour degree of sunlight moving around the track? I doubt the PS5 can even do that with RTX.

Last edited:
So even with the ray tracing of the PS5, it seems to be impossible huh...

It tanks performance so I’d say yes, I can’t really see it being used over than to create more realistic shadows and reflections on single set pieces and the cars themselves, Ride3 currently has best track graphics imo, but you can tell GT’s are properly laser scanned and to proportion.

I assume when PD brings rain to a track. It will be on all variations. That would add, what, half a dozen additional variations?
Actually, wet weather conditions are added under the already existing variations/layouts of tracks, but as conditions like time of day.

Maybe not dynamic weather but no time progression, is it not just a continuous texture swap of light to dark??? they already have 4 in place, so why can’t they bridge the gap with textures in between?
Or do they want the engine to do a full 24hour degree of sunlight moving around the track? I doubt the PS5 can even do that with RTX.

That’s not how it works. The current method of high quality lighting in Gtsport involves pre-baking the global illumination lighting into light maps (storing lighting data via UV textures). It takes 30 minutes to pre-bake the lighting for each time setting for a track on a rendering server that is considerably more powerful than the PS4, and storing each high quality light map takes up a bunch of space. Since the lighting is static and baked via texture, it means you can get higher quality looking lighting that can come close to ray-traced lighting with minimal performance hit, the downside is the lighting cannot change in real time. Look at how long it takes to load each time setting in GTSport, it is impossible to create enough baked light maps for a smooth transition let alone have them load in instantly in real-time while racing.

With real-time lighting and global illumination there is no need for texture swaps, the lighting/GI is real-time. You don’t need ray-tracing to do a full 24h time change, see GT5/6. But full ray-tracing (path-tracing) will give you the most accurate and highest quality looking lighting and shadows, which is inherently real time as light particles simulate the real world and bounce around multiple objects before hitting the camera. Lighting can be changed in real time, and the shadows, global illumination, ambient occlusion will automatically change with it.
Don’t expect full on path-tracing on PS5, but again it’s not needed to do a full time change, they can just fake it with traditional rasterization methods.

That’s not how it works. The current method of high quality lighting in Gtsport involves pre-baking the global illumination lighting into light maps (storing lighting data via UV textures). It takes 30 minutes to pre-bake the lighting for each time setting for a track on a rendering server that is considerably more powerful than the PS4, and storing each high quality light map takes up a bunch of space. Since the lighting is static and baked via texture, it means you can get higher quality looking lighting that can come close to ray-traced lighting with minimal performance hit, the downside is the lighting cannot change in real time. Look at how long it takes to load each time setting in GTSport, it is impossible to create enough baked light maps for a smooth transition let alone have them load in instantly in real-time while racing.

With real-time lighting and global illumination there is no need for texture swaps, the lighting/GI is real-time. You don’t need ray-tracing to do a full 24h time change, see GT5/6. But full ray-tracing (path-tracing) will give you the most accurate and highest quality looking lighting and shadows, which is inherently real time as light particles simulate the real world and bounce around multiple objects before hitting the camera. Lighting can be changed in real time, and the shadows, global illumination, ambient occlusion will automatically change with it.
Don’t expect full on path-tracing on PS5, but again it’s not needed to do a full time change, they can just fake it with traditional rasterization methods.

GT tracks are lifeless and haven’t really progressed since GT3 over than being in HD, I go as far to say they look bland at times.
Prepare to be disappointed, it’s cool as a tech demo on the PS5 but there’s no way it’ll do a full race like that, the hardware just isn’t powerful enough, maybe PS6.

Last edited:
GT tracks are lifeless and haven’t really progressed since GT3 over than being in HD, I go as far to say they look bland at times.
Prepare to be disappointed, it’s cool as a tech demo on the PS5 but there’s no way it’ll do a full race like that, the hardware just isn’t powerful enough, maybe PS6.
"lifeless"?
You mean IRL tracks are living beings or something?

"lifeless"?
You mean IRL tracks are living beings or something?

No just PDs representation of them,
and yes to an extent they should have dynamic grip levels that happens over the race and qualifying not just fake tyre wear, a track is a living and breathing being as they say.

Seems you've gone off tangent and didn't really understand that post I made on why your suggestion of simple "texture swapping" isn't how dynamic time progression works.

Well visually I think GT could be stronger,it's fixed time and climate.

Pcars 2 has to process more being totally dynamic time of day and climate,also track surface is dynamic with puddles filling up,influating in car behaviour,drying line..also influating on car behaviour..

So in my opinion pcars 2 is quite a different beast and a step further as what GT sport offers today.
I prefer a bit less visual effects and dynamic climate, track surface and influence changing on car behaviour.

Bear in mind GTS uses baked ray tracing to achieve its realistic look, which is far more realistic than PC. To make said system dynamic would be impossible on the PS4.

No just PDs representation of them,
and yes to an extent they should have dynamic grip levels that happens over the race and qualifying not just fake tyre wear, a track is a living and breathing being as they say.
Well, GT Sport doesnt have dynamic time and weather implemented so...
I bet PS5 will have it implemented and if it doesnt, power wont be the issue

Well, GT Sport doesnt have dynamic time and weather implemented so...
I bet PS5 will have it implemented and if it doesnt, power wont be the issue

PD held the mantle with GT1&2 but it’s slipped ever further behind after the PS2 just resting on it’s name for sales instead of raising the bar, GT5 onwards are highly overrated, GT claims to be the real simulator but it couldn’t be anymore arcade if it tried.

PD held the mantle with GT1&2 but it’s slipped ever further behind after the PS2 just resting on it’s name for sales instead of raising the bar, GT5 onwards are highly overrated, GT claims to be the real simulator but it couldn’t be anymore arcade if it tried.
What is the even the point of your argument here??
You have missed the point so many times that I do not even understand what you are trying to say.
This thread specifically speaks of "How PD were able to accomplish wet weather conditions with the PS4" despite knowing that Kazunori himself mentioning that their would be no dynamic time or weather in.

If you believe that GT is not a "simulator" because of your view and reasons I could care less about that.

Back