How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off The Rain Effects....

Has Polyphony Digital Maxed out the PS4??

• Yes

Votes: 93 37.8%
  • NO

Votes: 77 31.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 76 30.9%

• Total voters
Canada
montreal,quebec,canada
Like i and some other members in this forum love the new visuals effects of the new rain update, i really thank Polyphony Digital for all the hard work they have put in Gt sport and keep adding free stuff every month, Let try to talk about it post photo and video, a look at how stander ps4 runs compared the the extra power of the Ps4 Pro??

here are some quote i found to keep on topic.

Anyone else wondering how on earth PD pulls of those visuals on a PS4? I mean rain, particle effects, details and 20 cars on track. Most of the time running buthersmooth. The visual standard for this game really impresses me. I mean a lot.

This has to do with the nature of GTS, which is an easily updatable game, but above all the ease of development that this console has.
In the ps3 era (with everything working on a powerful console) they worked on too complicated hardware, which had to take too long and with many compromises to develop certain things. In that generation the PD has suffered a lot in terms of development.
With ps4 they have had a powerful machine that is simple to work with and starting from this solid base, they have created a new graphics engine (I think they trashed the one used on ps3 or otherwise heavily modified it) making it easily updatable and easy to modify.
For this I expect that on ps5 will have much less work to do for a possible GT7, because they will only need to update, where needed, what they already have (texure, polygons on the track, more cars, new particle effects, dynamic skybox like on driverclub that project dynamic shadows, best AI, etc.).
On ps5 I expect something crazy visually.

Honestly for me, the PS4’s (weak) cpu is trying really hard to keep all of the game’s engines running smoothly. PD is achieving something special with the GT sport. I am extremely happy with the results in every update. The amount of work from PD’s people is remarkable in my opinion.

and here is some video i found that show some good visuals

and so shots from photo mode
8502892864389251592_0.jpg
8359340615932052992_0.jpg

8080118538612770312_0.jpg
8224233728769000968_0.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I can understand though that these visuals and particle effect are pretty subpar when you compare it to the old 2014 game driveclub, I understand this has to do with the advantage of 30 FPS vs 60 FPS.

But I dont think they have maxed out their capability because otherwise you would see some pretty massive dips in Framerate.

I would say though they did an incredible job mantaining the FPS consistent while having both droplets and particle effects spray in the track.
Not to mention the reflections from the wet track.

I believe that you never can tell for sure whether the PS4 is maxed out or not. So I’ll vote “no” to this.

The thing is that the implementation of a new feature on a full scale (rain ) in order to maintain the 60 FPS and keep everything else intact ( believe me there are a LOT) using the limited cpu that the PS4 has, is tricky and PD have to sacrifice some other details. Driveclub’s creators sacrificed the framerate and the simulation engines in order to deliver outstanding weather conditions. My opinion is that you cannot compare these two games at all. As for me, I love them both.

PD will tweek and refine the Gt sport’s engine until the next title launches. I am very happy and I congratulate their efforts! So yeah I will not be surprised if in a future update the rain particles are increased and the physics is improved!

Unfortunately, Evolution studios cannot do that for the driveclub because they stopped supporting the game by the time Sony shut them down.

Last edited:
One thing I can understand though that these visuals and particle effect are pretty subpar when you compare it to the old 2014 game driveclub, I understand this has to do with the advantage of 30 FPS vs 60 FPS.

But I dont think they have maxed out their capability because otherwise you would see some pretty massive dips in Framerate.

I would say though they did an incredible job mantaining the FPS consistent while having both droplets and particle effects spray in the track.
Not to mention the reflections from the wet track.

I’d just call that a different kind of “maxing out.” Sort of like how the original PS2 release of Shadow of the Colossus was visually amazing, and was a zenith for the PS2’s rendering abilities, but oh man, those framerate drops would sometimes make the game feel like a slideshow.

I am just amazed by how good and real it looks in the rain. Other games do a pretty good job with rain. PCARS2 and the excellent DRIVECLUB. Now DRIVECLUB has in my opinion better reflections but it is 30 FPS and has only 12 cars on track. GT Sport however with 20 cars, the spray, the realistic look, it simply blows me away everytime I fire it up. In terms of eye candy I can't complain except for some background objects but hey that isn't really a problem is it.

A fantastic looking title 👍 Did PD maxed out PS4? I don't know!

Last edited:
I'll bit the bullet here and I say you are right.

Its great but could've been better. I expected GT5 like rain spray but with higher quality texture + spray at car body.

I definately agree the particle effects back in GT5 was some of the most satisfying thing I could ever see rivaling even Driveclubs physics based water droplets, but it is definately clear in the quality of the game (considering one was a ps3 50-60 FPS and the other ps4 at a locked 30 fps).

In todays racing games: Gran Turismo (Sport), Asseto Corsa Competizione, Project Cars (2), Dirt Rally (2) and Forza Motorsports I can say neither matches Driveclubs amazing weather conditions display in quality (given that they all aim for 60 FPS).

Mainly refering in cockpit view:

ACC: does an amazing job but there is something that doesnt make it look like its water dropping instead a very thick gue the faster you go.

Project Cars (2): I cant help but feel that its a simplified pattern on and off that doesnt get affected too much by speed.

Dirt Rally (2): water droplets looks to big and unrealistic at times.

GT Sport: It defintaley looks much more fluid like and better then GT6 but there seems to be no water lines on the windshield (ala GT5) just a halo like effect.

Forza motosports: Water drops are looking too small and doesnt seem to much affected by speed.

These are just my subjective view btw and sorry for going slightly off topic..

Last edited:
I wasn't going to bother downloading 1.43, but you guys have got me curious to see the rain effects for myself...

I checked the rain effects out, & found them to be underwhelming. Only thing I really liked was the correct headlight reflections.

I think that the rain has no effect on anything other than the cars not driven by AI .Try pushing other cars around on RBR they are on the same rail they have always been on,the only way to move them is to nail them straight from the rear, but if they touch your car your car goes like it's on ice. No I don't drive like that but did test it out in campaign mode. So I don't think they did a good job. Online might be a different story. Drive up beside any AI car and watch if they go off track they never lose grip at all they will touch your car and away you will go.

I’d lower the trackside people count in any game for better tree textures.
I’d even take a 720p mode hit to run a full Nascar grid.

Gran Turismo Sport vs Project Cars 2, Redbull, weather rain, dusk.

Gran Turismo Sport vs Project Cars 2, Redbull, weather rain, daytime.

This really reminds me of how much I hate that weird smoke/cloud effect that rain has in PC2. I don’t know why it comes down like that and makes it look like there’s smoking coming down from the clouds but it’s very odd.

Also a bit of a nitpick but I really wish people would do a custom race with a proper 20th position grid start instead of just doing a quick race. Makes the field look much less spread out in the replay comparisons.

I am just amazed by how good and real it looks in the rain. Other games do a pretty good job with rain. PCARS2 and the excellent DRIVECLUB. Now DRIVECLUB has in my opinion better reflections but it is 30 FPS and has only 12 cars on track. GT Sport however with 20 cars, the spray, the realistic look, it simply blows me away everytime I fire it up. In terms of eye candy I can't complain except for some background objects but hey that isn't really a problem is it.

A fantastic looking title 👍 Did PD maxed out PS4? I don't know!
Pcars 2 looks absolutely terrible when compared to GTS. Especially in replays.

A post I did on launch day of 1.43 update, too keep with the topic....

Looking at how rain looks in this game now makes me regret having played Driveclub on heavy weather more than other settings, because IMO the rain effects on this game are really subpar.

Meh, free content is free content so whatever, I'll take what I can get.

you cant say that, drive club runs at 30 fps and gt sport runs at 60fps, and also if you look at the detail that pd has put into the fans and track stwarts that all have rain suits and jackets it impressive, i have yet to play beause i am at work but so far from videos i saw i tip my hat to pd and pulling out all the power of the ps4 and ps4 pro. cant wait to see it in 4k and hdr

also look at this photo i found
8512445412821467648_0.jpg

8503442609936532992_0.jpg

8511882462800938504_0.jpg

Back