How fast can you lap Trial Mountain?

• Thread starter Lexijag
  • 121 comments
I've noticed same thing with all these Hondas, only use 3rd and 4th gear... you might just hit limiter with the NSX but pointless to shift up.
E: of course you use 5th at the longesst straight.. :banghead:

E: By looking at the thread name, it makes me only think one thing; How fast it could be done in the fastest car.

Last edited:
E: By looking at the thread name, it makes me only think one thing; How fast it could be done in the fastest car.
It also makes me think of one thing, what is the fastest car in the game?

My fastest time in Escudo for Trial Mountain is 1:02.258 from 2009. But overall fastest time known to me is 1:00.722. I dont know how he did it though.

It also makes me think of one thing, what is the fastest car in the game?
What? I thought there is no competition. The Suzuki Escudo pikes peak car.
Of course there are the Speed 12 and GT-One road car but i don't think they have any chance in Trial Mountain. 180 SX Drag car is the fastest in top speed.

My fastest time in Escudo for Trial Mountain is 1:02.258 from 2009. But overall fastest time known to me is 1:00.722. I dont know how he did it though.
1:02.2 sounds legit, don't know if i can beat that 1:00.7. Where have you seen this or are you just trying to make me nervous?
Seems like only way to get to Trial Mountain is the 500 GT in special events, and it's the 4th race...

Last edited:
What? I thought there is no competition. The Suzuki Escudo pikes peak car.
Of course there are the Speed 12 and GT-One road car but i don't think they have any chance in Trial Mountain. 180 SX Drag car is the fastest in top speed.

1:02.2 sounds legit, don't know if i can beat that 1:00.7. Where have you seen this or are you just trying to make me nervous?
Seems like only way to get to Trial Mountain is the 500 GT in special events, and it's the 4th race...

I just dont get how you guys make the Escudo go so quick. I use it stock, only made the gears better and maxed out downforce and it sucks. I just dont get this car to lap faster than the Cerbera LM and that is considerably slower than 1:00 at Trial Mountain. Also on Red Rock my record is 56 seconds in the Cerbera but I cant do that with the suzuki.

TVR Speed 12 wins Suzuki Escudo at Red Rock Valley, because of the top speed, altough it's not the car with the fastest top speed. That would be HKS Drag 180 sx, it can do way over 400 km/h in test course with perfect drag from the opponent. I remember doing 430-450 km/h

Nah, the Escudo wins everywhere. With the right driver and setup this thing becomes ridiculous. Look around on youtube, there are 40's seconds lap with the escudo n red rock. With the speed 12 you can not even beat the 55-56 seconds laps of the cerbera lm.

He may be right for top speed, but yeah, the Escudo is given cheater tires that are always better than they should be no matter what set you have on, so yeah, it'll corner faster than anything and so lap faster than anything. GT40 has the same cheater tires.

That's why I used to call it the Excuseo. :) Those who cheated with it always came up with some excuse why they drove it in races which it was clearly overqualified for.

Usually their excuse was "GT2 sukx", or "GT2 is boring". And it's like, well yeah, of course it's boring if you're not challenging yourself, and driving a car which will simply blow away everyone else, every time.

Last edited:
That is true but if you are talking about defeating the ai nearly every car is overqualified. There are some slightly challenging races in this game with power restrictions if you have no race car yet but the way the ai uses race cars is pathetic. Watch an ai car during a replay, they take no advantage of the higher grip whatsoever. If the power/weight ratio of your car is any near the opponents and you use soft slicks you can outperform your enemies.

I wonder why they did that as gt1 was much harder but in gt2 you can win the gt world cup with a supra from the used car dealer.

When i did the world cup with the r30 silhouette that you can easily win on your first race with a k's silvia I overlapped an enemy at laguna seca!

@Meesbaker - Yes, we all are aware of how easy it is to break the game, to trivialize every event. Some may say that this makes GT2 a bad game. Not me. You just have to work at drawing out the best that the game has to offer.

See this thread for two photo-journalistic race reports that demonstrate what I mean. Also if you look carefully you'll notice a link to Parnelli Bones' excellent website where you can find tons of hints on how to make your races more exciting.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/close-competition.210554/

And yeah, my favorite quick-start in GT2 is get the Silvia, win the Silhouette, then go to Red Rock and win the Speed 12 a few times. Rolling in cash within the first half dozen races. Then you can focus on playing with tuning and finding exciting races without having to worry about credits.

That is true but if you are talking about defeating the ai nearly every car is overqualified. There are some slightly challenging races in this game with power restrictions if you have no race car yet but the way the ai uses race cars is pathetic. Watch an ai car during a replay, they take no advantage of the higher grip whatsoever. If the power/weight ratio of your car is any near the opponents and you use soft slicks you can outperform your enemies.

The behaviour of AI in GT2 is heavily dependent on the particular event and the car it's driving. Indeed, there are quite a few occasions of AI not using the car to full potential, but there are also numerous cases of AI being quite amazing at driving, if you take into the account tuning of suspension and their tires.
GT2 provides plenty of opportunities for close racing on many performance levels.

However, I'm kind of sad that there is no real competition among high-powered road-legal cars:
racing my Speed 12 against Elise GT1 and Mine's Evo (which is competitive with the former, yes) is still a bit unfair with any tires on any track.

Edit: Also, usage of Soft or Supersoft slicks is viable only for time attacking or racing obvious underdogs (like GT300 vehicles vs GT500), IMO.

Interesting that the GT2 forum is busier than the GT5! :lol:

@Meesbaker - Yes, we all are aware of how easy it is to break the game, to trivialize every event. Some may say that this makes GT2 a bad game. Not me. You just have to work at drawing out the best that the game has to offer.

Correct. GT2 includes some horsepower restrictions for gamers who aren't very experienced yet (my opinion), but ultimately, those of us who get good at this game will have to make our own restrictions.

Meesbaker: if you think GT2 is bad, you should see GT5's A-spec. I have yet to use over 100 to 140 horserpower (seriously) in that game's Clubman Cup.

There is a page here on this forum somewhere started by Sucahyo (think I spelled his name wrong, it's been awhile) which outlines all the tires the AI uses in each race. Suc managed to get into the game's coding or whatever to figure this out. I believe there are some races in which the Ai uses super soft tires, but there are plenty of others in which they are driving on normals or sports. I'll have to dig up Sucahyo's page later.

Last edited:
You guys get me wrong, i love gt2 it is one of my fav games ever. I just miss the gt1 ai. Speedrunning gt1 is work, a nismo can winthe gt cup but isnt just superduper easy as in gt2. A gt2 speedrun would be boring to watch because a gold license does not help at all as you start out with the r30 anyway and there is no time to win the s license for the gt one as you do not need that license to unlock anything. On all following races you have an op car, 500kcr is enough to buy all cars and parts you need for the national cups. It would be two and a half hours of easy races.

Still i love driving this. the cars are awesome, the music is, the “physics“ play great, it is really a good game. And of course that issue is worse on gt5/6. With my dfgt i can win every race in any car except a demio aspec maybe. actually the best gt interms of challenge is the third installment but it is also tedious and has the most boring physics.

You guys get me wrong, i love gt2 it is one of my fav games ever.....

Still i love driving this. the cars are awesome, the music is, the “physics“ play great, it is really a good game. And of course that issue is worse on gt5/6. With my dfgt i can win every race in any car except a demio aspec maybe. actually the best gt interms of challenge is the third installment but it is also tedious and has the most boring physics.

Ah okay I see what you're saying now. One of my favorite things about GT1 was its qualifying rounds. They were intense. I missed this in GT2. The first GT had several features I missed in 2, actually.

GT3 has the best REPLAYS. :) That's my favorite thing about 3; we had the ability to choose between the leading car, random camera angles, the usual fixed camera setting (we move the camera from car to car, not the computer), and a sort of psychadelic mode. No other GT has all these options with replays.

I would agree GT3's physics were boring. I also hated the chase camera in that game, it made the car way too big, forcing me to use the 'bumper' camera. I was used to chase cam from other games. I grew up in arcades, you know? But in GT3 it forced me to learn bumper camera. Actually, it was an interesting learning experience for me.

So what does everybody do in GT2 nowadays? :) Y'all still playing this game? It's my favorite PS1/PS2 era GT for sure. I have fond memories of GT2.

Well, I still occasionaly mess around building various tuner projects and real-life race cars, including hybrids.
This also helps to learn some peculiar features about cars (for example, apparently '98 Mustang is very good at putting the power down, even from a 830 hp supercharged V8)
I also recreate some real cars that are not in the game, like BMW M cars, AC Cobra 289, Porsche GT2/GT3, Callaway Corvettes, 3-rotor RX7s (which are amazing in both NA and turbo forms)

I have 3 memory cards filled up, and I'm really far from being done with the game. Some things to do:
- race the hell out of the stuff I've built and have yet to drive
- see how far different stock cars can go in racing
- Drag racing (in particular, find grip codes which would simulate real drag slicks)
- Rallying - after all these years, I have yet to dig into this field to build rally cars as good as my circuit ones
- Drifting (not a big fan of this discipline in general, but I still feel that I wil explore it as well when I feel like it)

P. S. : I also miss sone features from the first game. Although I wasn't as good of a driver back then, some series were utterly crazy - the matte black FD RX7 from Tuner Cup was in my nightmares for some time, and ultimately brought me to love rotaries. I also miss boost controller - that thing was useful

Last edited:
That Escudo time got me curious so I went on ahead and bought a escudo and ran trial mountain.

Here's the times: Escudo 1.08.591
My Hybrid Cusco w/ Escudo engine 981 hp (didn't fully push it) 1.05.970

With the proper set up I might have gotten in the 1.06.00ish or 1.07.00ish range, but i'm a bit skeptical about the 1.02.00ish time with a normal escudo, as with the proper set up i'm sure my cusco hybrid can probably run at or close to that time (Key Word 'Hybrid'). Not trying to step on any toes here.

Sorry to crush your ego buddy, but if you're finding it hard to believe, that just means you're not that good. I've raced @karelpipa enough to know that he's the real deal.

Believe me. I don't think of myself as big time or a pro, just an enthusiast. I'll put it down as a possibility only, but I'll still remain skeptical.

That Escudo time got me curious so I went on ahead and bought a escudo and ran trial mountain.

Here's the times: Escudo 1.08.591
My Hybrid Cusco w/ Escudo engine 981 hp (didn't fully push it) 1.05.970

With the proper set up I might have gotten in the 1.06.00ish or 1.07.00ish range, but i'm a bit skeptical about the 1.02.00ish time with a normal escudo, as with the proper set up i'm sure my cusco hybrid can probably run at or close to that time (Key Word 'Hybrid'). Not trying to step on any toes here.

Escudo with (gameshark downforce) 1.02.573. Not trying to step on any toes, and it's still put down as a possibility.

I am so glad this thread is still up to date, because I just created a new lap time with a Challenger. This Challenger only has a port & polish.

I am so glad this thread is still up to date, because I just created a new lap time with a Challenger. This Challenger only has a port & polish.

Challenger's not that nimble (nothing personal), so here's how I ran it based on what I think u did.

Stock challenger with (escudo chassis): 1.39.763
I suspect the fully tuned CR-X as well and used my 194 hp (hybrid AE85): 1.28.599

Not really a part of this contest, I just replied based on possible gameshark use, since only play this game these days to make hybrids. Anyways, no more responses from me on this thread and good luck running this track people.

Last edited:

Suzuki [R]Cultus Pikes Peak Version
1:07.804

Parts Setting (front, rear)
Spring Rate 10.0 lb/in, 8.4 lb/in
Ride Height 110 in, 110 in
Damper Bound 4, 5
Damper Rebound 4, 5
Camber 1.5, 0.8
Toe -0.20, -0.20
Stabilizer 3, 3
Downfroce 0.78, 0.87
LSD Initial 5, 15
LSD Accel. 10, 25
LSD Decel. 5, 10

This is a very stable setting. Drives very well. Coasting in a corner will result in car going straight.

The Excuseo! Ha! That dirty car is banned from my garage (Excludeo!). If you need that to beat your friends something is wrong with you. I put down a 1:19 in the FTO LM on my first attempt but I think I can do alot better with some work put in. Love these lap time threads, GT2 needs friendly competition to stay interesting.
Edit: no its actually super interesting and still my favourite GT.

The Excuseo! Ha! That dirty car is banned from my garage (Excludeo!). If you need that to beat your friends something is wrong with you. I put down a 1:19 in the FTO LM on my first attempt but I think I can do alot better with some work put in. Love these lap time threads, GT2 needs friendly competition to stay interesting.
Edit: no its actually super interesting and still my favourite GT.

Mine, too. If you're up to it, though the actual competition is long over, check out my lap time challenge thread, see where you would have ended up among the pretty solid competition we had over a fairly long stretch. Or just give it a read, good times!

Cool, I will get stuck into this and end up sharing my times with you eventually. We could get identical car battles going on (Im playing this pretty much daily, just cant leave it alone, and love time trial). However you may have to wait a while as I have a very sore accelerator hand after a recent time trial binge!

The Excuseo! Ha! That dirty car is banned from my garage (Excludeo!). If you need that to beat your friends something is wrong with you.
Who was i racing with? It's just demonstration of what that car can do. It's very exciting to drive like every car in the game.

E: I also ran a lap under 1:02 with Escudo.

Last edited:
Back