How Important is Weather and Time of Day to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vaioleto
  • 136 comments
  • 9,420 views

How important is Weather change and Time of Day change to you?

  • Very Important

    Votes: 153 49.4%
  • Important

    Votes: 97 31.3%
  • Either way

    Votes: 37 11.9%
  • Not Important

    Votes: 17 5.5%
  • Completely inconsequential

    Votes: 6 1.9%

  • Total voters
    310
Very important for me.
I don't care about the damage, but for me the weather could add a lot of longevity to the races.
Imagine to start with the sun and end a race with the storm =D
Every track and every race could be unique :)

Please PD, it's a really important thing, it adds realism to the series and it could be a great add to the game.
 
Weather would be epic. That would make the simulation much more true to life, and that's what GT strives for. Day-night cycles? Well, I'd just like varied races. More night races, morning and/or evening races.
 
Changing weather and day/night cycles would make endurance so much more enjoyable. Especially racing is Spa. On the other hand, it would have to implemented in a tastefull way, because I don't want every single race to stop dry and finish wet.
 
Well, I think weather and time (regardless of dynamic ones) can make a big difference. How important is this to me? Not really as important as a decent driving model, competitive AI, great racing, and things like that. Time and weather are complimentary. Unlike most people who think that online multiplayer is more important than a great single-player experience, I think time and weather are of secondary concern compared to simply making a great racing experience. Do they go hand-in-hand? You bet. These kinds of changes add some challenge and realism, but don't put this over solid racing.

The only problem for me is really gauging the level of importance. So I'm going to say "Important" because while I'm not going to gauge a racing game on time and weather alone, these elements do play a great role in a realistic and challenging experience. If you want a game in which you can really feel the difference in (especially) weather, play GTR. I've done races in the very first GTR with everything from dry conditions to monsoon rains. It is absolutely hard to race in heavy rain. Trust me. You'll be mad as hell when you can't even drive straight on the road in heavy rain. I learned this the hard way racing the Lamborghini Murciélago GT-R around Spa-Francorchamps in heavy rain. So tab me for "Important."
 
I'd be perfectly okay without weather; if you ask me, PD should prioritize on getting mechanical damage done first, but the weather really does add quite a bit of variety to the game.

Perhaps in online races the host will be able to program the weather cycle. That'd be cool wouldn't it? I can imagine a cloudy, pouring Apricot Hill where the 4WD cars take the lead due to the rain, and then in the middle of the race the rain stops and the RWD cars begin to gain the advantage.

If we have a option to turn off headlights then I can see so many people pulling a Initial D and trying to recreate it.
I smirked.
 
its the most important feature after the degradation and the temperature of the tyres...:sly:
 
Part of the reason SSR are so amazing to me. It's important not very important but night races and especially with rain would add so much to the experience ;)

With cockpit view, windshield wipers a blazing :)
 
If I could choose between damage and weather and Day/night cycles, I choose the latter.
 
Weather would give so much life to the game: It could change the mood and atmosphere of tracks - imagining Trial Mountain under stormy, black clouds or Tokyo at night or the Nurburgring under a full moon :drool: -

It would also add a dimension to the racing - 4WD cars coming into their own when it suddenly starts showering, different driving styles rewarded, etc... I might choose my car depending on the weather - Ferrari in the sunshine, but maybe an Audi for a rainy night. It'll be so epic. WANT!
 
Day/night cycles, along with weather, are in affect all the time.

Damage (mechanical and cosmetic) is only good if you suck, or the people you are racing suck.
 
Well, I think weather and time (regardless of dynamic ones) can make a big difference. How important is this to me? Not really as important as a decent driving model, competitive AI, great racing, and things like that. Time and weather are complimentary. Unlike most people who think that online multiplayer is more important than a great single-player experience, I think time and weather are of secondary concern compared to simply making a great racing experience. Do they go hand-in-hand? You bet. These kinds of changes add some challenge and realism, but don't put this over solid racing.

My sentiments almost exactly.


The only problem for me is really gauging the level of importance. So I'm going to say "Important" because while I'm not going to gauge a racing game on time and weather alone, these elements do play a great role in a realistic and challenging experience. If you want a game in which you can really feel the difference in (especially) weather, play GTR. I've done races in the very first GTR with everything from dry conditions to monsoon rains. It is absolutely hard to race in heavy rain. Trust me. You'll be mad as hell when you can't even drive straight on the road in heavy rain. I learned this the hard way racing the Lamborghini Murciélago GT-R around Spa-Francorchamps in heavy rain. So tab me for "Important."

I'm afraid here is where we part company. I know particularly in Europe, races are run in the rain and so its a real part of most racing there.

However in the US, rain is considered to be too invasive and practically eliminates the whole designed purpose of the race and renders it too removed from the norm. Its the same reason Domes are built to play Pro Football and Baseball, so the weather doesn't completely override the intented performance of the sport. (not to mention the comfort of the spectators for attendance purposes) With the exception of Rally Racing and Football I have to agree with that concept.

Therefore I have to consider it "unimportant' and possibly not even "realistic" with reguard to any High Performance car racing.
 
Without day / night cycles or weather reviewers are going to claim nothing has been done to improve Gran Turismo.

Personally I think this generation needs to introduce more than a limited damage model to keep up with the competition.

A track editor would clearly make Gran Turismo the real driving simulator, day / night and weather will reignite peoples interest in the series.
 
Damage (mechanical and cosmetic) is only good if you suck, or the people you are racing suck.

This line never fails to amuse me. Do you believe that you're so good that damage will never effect you?

How often do you see a crash in a real motor-race? In Formula 1? You think F1 drivers suck? Crashing is part of motorsport.
 
This line never fails to amuse me. Do you believe that you're so good that damage will never effect you?

Effect me? No. Affect? maybe. My point is very valid. Damage will come into play much less often than weather or day/night.

In my case, it will be the guys around me causing damage to me.

edit- name a Time and a Car at Fuji 700pp and Ill show and prove. In about 3 hours Ill be online:tup:
edit 2- or the F2007 at Suzuka 👍👍
 
Last edited:
Unless you are in a race that is fairly easey to win, damage really isn't that important.

In any close competitive race, if you run off or crash to any significant degree, your done anyway as far as winning.
 
Last edited:
Very important is my answer.

Just imagine an online race against your friends and on lap 10/20 it starts raining. Do you come in and change tires or do you risk staying out hoping its a shower. This would add a whole new dimension to online racing with strategy coming into play.
 
Your post is riddled with grammatical errors too, so don't get smart with me.
 
Very important is my answer.

Just imagine an online race against your friends and on lap 10/20 it starts raining. Do you come in and change tires or do you risk staying out hoping its a shower. This would add a whole new dimension to online racing with strategy coming into play.

That exact scenario made for an AWESOME MotoGP race earlier this year, well awesome race for 2nd anyways. :lol: Dang that Lorenzo.

Grammatical error free! Using the incorrect word is hardly grammar, but whatever.

I stand corrected! I didnt capitalize the "m" in maybe. Good job:tup:

What time at Suzuka????
 
For me these 2 above mentioned features would make the game COMPLETE, just imagine 24h races with dawn, night, rain, than the track would get dry again, I mean that would really be phantastic!
 
Day to night transitions are a mediocre feature to me, I would greatly enjoy watching the sun set during a race. Although this feature would not entirely ruin the GT5 experience for me as much as the absence of a great AI and fantastic racing would. In regards to the weather, it is not particularly a feature that I necessarily feel has an importance in GT5 and is not really needed. But yet again it would be a nice addition to the game to see rain start falling during a race.

Basically my vote is for "either way"
 
If "lower forms of racing games" can have these features, there's no excuse for GT5 not to lay the foundation!
 
Without day / night cycles or weather reviewers are going to claim nothing has been done to improve Gran Turismo.

Personally I think this generation needs to introduce more than a limited damage model to keep up with the competition.

A track editor would clearly make Gran Turismo the real driving simulator, day / night and weather will reignite peoples interest in the series.

Agreed, even with improved physics, AI, and damage not to mention awesome graphics, game sites would be complaining. I think in instead of damage, mechanical damage, natural wear and tear would be more interesting to me. Things like engine blow outs, clutch wearing out, tire blow out, etc, etc...
 
Very important- if I had to choose between day/night cycle and damage- I would choose day/night cycles hands down.
 
I voted either way. Frankly, I hate racing in the rain.
 
6 months is a fair amount of time to test the weather to be in the game ..im pretty sure it can be done..( 2 months they implemented damage :p)
weather for me is (day/night and rain)
 
Lots of people will probably hate the prospect of racing in the rain, but it's going to be super technical and be a real test of your skills + it'll be really fun!

Sure you can be fast on dry land, but can you go fast on water and ice too? I can think of one particular world champion who made a name for himself by being incredible during the rain.
 
Tanner Foust attributes his driving ability to driving in the snow, and look where it has gotten him.
 
While I'd very much like to have time/weather cycles, I wouldn't go as far as prioritizing it above damage. Damage has been such an essential part of sims since the PS1 days, at this stage no simulator can call itself such without it.

Dynamic weather cycles, while they would be nice to have, appear to be a little trickier to implement, so I guess after damage, it'd be the next evolutionary step for sims.
 
Tanner Foust attributes his driving ability to driving in the snow, and look where it has gotten him.
I was actually talking about Michael Schumacher being called rain god or something because he dominates when it rains.
While I'd very much like to have time/weather cycles, I wouldn't go as far as prioritizing it above damage. Damage has been such an essential part of sims since the PS1 days, at this stage no simulator can call itself such without it.

Dynamic weather cycles, while they would be nice to have, appear to be a little trickier to implement, so I guess after damage, it'd be the next evolutionary step for sims.
No one, not even PD can even remotely simulate damage accurately to the degree that they can simulate cars and weather, so I don't see why people love damage so much when it's so far from what one would call "realistic".
 
I think both are important and will add a lot to the game. I think day/night cycle will be very important now that they're implementing damage into the game for all cars. It will really promote clean racing because no one wants to bust out their headlights in the middle of the night on the Nurburgring during a 24 hour endurance race.
 
Back