How Important is Weather and Time of Day to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vaioleto
  • 136 comments
  • 9,420 views

How important is Weather change and Time of Day change to you?

  • Very Important

    Votes: 153 49.4%
  • Important

    Votes: 97 31.3%
  • Either way

    Votes: 37 11.9%
  • Not Important

    Votes: 17 5.5%
  • Completely inconsequential

    Votes: 6 1.9%

  • Total voters
    310
Basically, it will bring the game to the next level.

Agreed. 👍

If Gran Turismo 5 has rain and day/night racing, it will put it back on top of the racing game genre in everyone's eyes - even the Forza fans. :sly:
 
Fair enough. So you've played a couple of Gran Turismo games before.

My question is WHY...



Can you say with a straight face...that GT3 & GT4 are perfect?
Are you asking me why I have a different opinion and why I won't change it so you'll be happy? I don't know, I just do I guess.
 
Are you asking me why I have a different opinion and why I won't change it so you'll be happy? I don't know, I just do I guess.

No, I just want to verify that I'm understanding this correctly: You demand perfection or nothing from the damage feature, but so far you've bought 2 games which don't have perfect physics simulation, and intending on buying a 3rd.

Why does damage have to be perfect, but the physics doesn't?
 
the only big thing he revealed or believe he did right now is photomode new options :O I really hope we get some good infos at Tokyo Motor Show ;)
 
No, I just want to verify that I'm understanding this correctly: You demand perfection or nothing from the damage feature, but so far you've bought 2 games which don't have perfect physics simulation, and intending on buying a 3rd.

Why does damage have to be perfect, but the physics doesn't?
The damage is an abomination, the physics isn't.
 
The damage is an abomination, the physics isn't.

And they certainly aren't an "abomination"; that's because they got 3 chances to perfect the physics model. If we had rejected the physics model back in GT1, based on the final product (read: You haven't played GT5 yet), this would be a NFS forum instead.
 
I too think they're more important than damage. I really hope they're in GT5... it'd be one thing GT5 would have over Forza 3.

I agree, but weather and day night is more then ONE thing, its a whole step foreward!!!
 
And they certainly aren't an "abomination"; that's because they got 3 chances to perfect the physics model. If we had rejected the physics model back in GT1, based on the final product (read: You haven't played GT5 yet), this would be a NFS forum instead.
Did I also mention that I don't care for damage at all in the first place?

What are you trying to evangelize to me? I don't really know.
 
its the overall immersion that you get with the daylight fading and the cars headlights starting to take effect. Also rain makes races hard pushing you concentration levels.
Play GTR2 to get a idea of what I mean.
 
Did I also mention that I don't care for damage at all in the first place?

What are you trying to evangelize to me? I don't really know.

Um, no you didn't. Could've saved some time too if, instead of trying to justify it by claiming PD can't do damage "properly", you would've just said "I just don't like damage in cars".
 
Um, no you didn't. Could've saved some time too if, instead of trying to justify it by claiming PD can't do damage "properly", you would've just said "I just don't like damage in cars".
That's the thing, the damage so far is far from the level of even GT3's physics. It's just crappy and jarring. I wouldn't complain about it if it were half decent, but it just isn't.
 
Not so important but a great add!
 
Well,you can answer this Question with another....What happens in real life?
 
I'm more keen to have weather in the game than time of day. Time of day is more of visual thing whereas rain during a race impacts on the car's performance, lap times and race strategy. Having weather in the game for me will have more of an impact than time of day.
 
I'm more keen to have weather in the game than time of day. Time of day is more of visual thing whereas rain during a race impacts on the car's performance, lap times and race strategy. Having weather in the game for me will have more of an impact than time of day.

Day/night changes will impact the cars performance due to colder air temperature, the colder tarmac will impact tire temperatures...So it's not just a visual thing.
 
Not hugely important to me, sure it would be nice to have but I can wait for GT6 for that.
 
I wasn't keen on the weather in Race Pro, but that is more that it felt quite false and didn't affect the car's how you think it would.

If PD can pull it off, it'll be great, if it's a bit half-assed, it'll be a pretty useless feature..

I'm not even convinced about day/night, there is a reason the vast majority of race series run under daylight conditions (even if they run at night, they are floodlit)..

But, I'm willing to give it a go, it could prove to be a great addition.
 
That's the thing, the damage so far is far from the level of even GT3's physics. It's just crappy and jarring. I wouldn't complain about it if it were half decent, but it just isn't.

Yes, you'd still complain because you just said you don't care for damage period.:ouch:

Nevermind that you haven't played GT5.
 
That's the thing, the damage so far is far from the level of even GT3's physics. It's just crappy and jarring. I wouldn't complain about it if it were half decent, but it just isn't.

Damage doesn't look half-bad to me. I mean, yeah it's kinda crude, but at least it's in there and can only get better. :)

Weather and time are more important to me than damage, but probably not to more casual players. Hopefully they implement them.

If there's weather, I don't care if it's dynamic or not (would be cool tho). It just needs to be so that all tracks (except maybe rally) can be driven under any available weather conditions.

If there's time, they really ought to make it dynamic. Long endurance races are just weird without it.
 
Damnit every body, PD actually does read this site as well as Playstation Blog and other forums...

"We" the fans. Must shout at KAZ for what we want.

other wise he will say "it's a small part of the game" ...so i chose very important.


i mean we went from 170 premium, to all cars get damaged but production car's get scrapes and paint, To all production car's get deformable bodys as well as scrapes and scuffs. but racing and rally cars have part's flying off.

And why is this? Because KAZ" thought of messing up his beautiful car's? no. Because we complain and whine and that get's all over the internet and spreads like a wild fire.

So what can this do for weather and time of day? Alot !!...

ok, i'm done.
 
Last edited:
I'd rather have day/night and weather than damage. I'd be awesome if you're in the middle a some race and it started to rain which forced everyone to decide if they wanted to put on rain tires or not. 24hr races need to have time change and it almost always rains in LeMans.
 
I'm not real interested in weather (racing in the rain sounds miserable to me) but day/night is something I'm really hoping makes the cut, just seems like it'd really add to the experience and be something genuinely new to the series.
 
Look at it this way.

IMO, the only reason precipitation is thrilling in a race is because of the imminent and ever present danger of losing control and....crashing your car.

You take damage away and it's not as thrilling anymore...
 
Look at it this way.

IMO, the only reason precipitation is thrilling in a race is because of the imminent and ever present danger of losing control and....crashing your car.

You take damage away and it's not as thrilling anymore...

Doesn't it add more thrill, more adrenaline when that SLS gets too close, when that Gallardo rubs too close to the tail, when you see a crash happen before your eyes and you have a split second to react without sanding yourself or becoming part of the scrap. That's exhilarating.
 
Weather and time are more important to me than damage

Me too.

Like you said, I am glad damage is in GT5 in some form or another - but I really want rain and night racing to be a part of GT5's feature list as well. I wouldn't mind if they had to lower the racing grid from 16 down to 10 if that is what is took to implement real-time rain and day/night transitions. đź’ˇ

I'd rather have day/night and weather than damage. I'd be awesome if you're in the middle a some race and it started to rain which forced everyone to decide if they wanted to put on rain tires or not. 24hr races need to have time change and it almost always rains in LeMans.

I thought about that too. :sly:

Imagine while you are racing, you see the sky slowly begin to darken and rain slowly begins to fall - that would be EPIC. Then, after a minute or two, the rain increases into a full-blown thunderstorm, complete with lightning flashes and torrential rain that is making visibility difficult and concentration coupled with driving skill is a must. That would be MEGA EPIC!
 
I could care less about weather. Why people figure this to such an essential part of racing is absurd. The way it was done in Gt4 was fine. Some tracks were wet and that is enough for me.
 
It was MEGA EPIC! I remember Test Drive Le Mans for the Dreamcast. 24 cars, sporadic rain and the shifting light of a 24 hour race. You could watch the stars crossing the sky as night went on. But then it started clouding up and then it was in the pits for the rain tires.

I miss it! I MISS IT!!
 
hey remember the air balloon from gt3 onwards(in trail mountain)? I want that to move..just like the birds..
It will make the sky at least somewhat dynamic lol
 
Just in case any of you haven't seen this yet:

It's the follow-up features list of - the "revelations interview" translated by my Fiancee. [you should Google her name, by the way].

Gameblog - Translated by Annalise Pierce
We promised you some information about Gran Turismo 5 that we obtained first hand when we met with Kazunori Yamauchi, the father of Gran Turismo. The embargo has now officially lifted, so we can finally tell you about them. And as you will see, there are many items that hitherto, have never been released...

European Release Date: near March 2010 / announcement imminent
Race day...and night
Finally being able to race in the rain
Tire wear: refinined loss of traction
A garage of 950 vehicles
20 locations around the world
70 variations of circuits
New vehicle physics
Damage by deformation of each part of the car...depending on the speed and direction of impact
Upload your replays on YouTube
GT TV Exports Enhanced + videos from the PS3 to the PSP
From the day of launch : The ability to upload hundreds of vehicles obtained in GT on PSP...to your garage in Gran Turismo 5


See you soon for our interview with Kazunori Yamauchi

Link
 
Back