How Important is Weather and Time of Day to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vaioleto
  • 136 comments
  • 9,420 views

How important is Weather change and Time of Day change to you?

  • Very Important

    Votes: 153 49.4%
  • Important

    Votes: 97 31.3%
  • Either way

    Votes: 37 11.9%
  • Not Important

    Votes: 17 5.5%
  • Completely inconsequential

    Votes: 6 1.9%

  • Total voters
    310
Having time of day & weather would prove to Dan Greenawalt (and the rest of the world) that GT is not stagnant...Plus it would be awesome.
 
Last edited:
Having time of day & weather would prove to Dan Greenawalt that GT is not stagnant...Plus it would be awesome.



I love the Forza series but I think Greenawalt is nothing but a loud mouth snook! Like this guy...


FoghornLeghorn.gif
 
That guy gets all the CHICKS :lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I definitely vote for weather and time changes, rather than damage. Not is more exciting than leading at Le Mans, when suddenly there's massive rain, and a whole change of strategy. Very realistic.
 
No one, not even PD can even remotely simulate damage accurately to the degree that they can simulate cars and weather, so I don't see why people love damage so much when it's so far from what one would call "realistic".

Vaioleto, have you bought any Gran Turismo game before?
 
I want to know what they are doing, are they trying to replicate real life weather forcasts, making the weather real time? Or are they making a Left4dead style 'director' who changes the weather dynamically, or just a generic/random pattern throughout the day?

I hope the time of day is just in the game, with race starts at specific times in the game. I would hate it if the game took to real-time, meaning if you were playing at 3am, and the race was in your location, you would be racing at night. That would be awful.

I'm thinking a GTA style weather system, it would not be that difficult to implement at all (well, maybe a little more sophisticated than GTA).

If they include spontaneous rain, i hope that if there is wet/dry tyre setups, that the AI actually pits in for them.

Theres so many things that could go wrong with all the new features. GTs competitors, which have gotten so close in terms of gameplay, that they are forcing PD to develop more and more features to keep the game unique and ahead of Forza, NFS etc.

I think they should have just stuck to basics, screw the weather system and damage, just focus time on getting the cockpit views for all ~950 cars, and focus their money on getting a licensing agreement with Porsche.
 
If they could release the game this year, with out all that stuff i would take it! Then add in weather and day niight later on.
 
If all this stuff is becoming too difficult for PD, I would also settle lighting changes during a race; for example clouds moving to cover the sun for parts of the race or fluffy clouds passing by the sun creating moving shadows across the track. Anything to create a more dynamic environment.
 
Vaioleto, have you bought any Gran Turismo game before?
Super number, have you seen the damage videos from GT5 before?

It's because I've bought every GT since 3 that I don't see how damage is even remotely important to this series, at first I found no damage a bit odd when I started playing, but then I got it and was like "Ohhh, this game is about driving and NOT crashing! COOL!"

GT has simulated the cars enough for now, it's like the poster above me said, it's time they started over hauling the environment to match those stunning cars.

My fantasy is a 15 lap leguna seca race in heavy rain with darkened skies, all 16 cars are bunched together with no one able to get away from the pack in the horrid conditions. Drivers couldn't help but allow the occasional contact, leaving scrapes and bumps on each other. On the final lap, the brave ones finally started pushing forward, resulting in many hydroplaning visits to the sand pits as two racers battle it out to the finish line with the road barely visible through the storm. As the spectators look on from the finish line toward the exit to the final corner, one set of headlights flash in the distance, the chasing car overcooks it and spins out of control into a tire wall and the champion speeds under the checkered flag, leaving a mighty rooster tail. /dreams
 
Last edited:
Look at the trend of replies - there's a shock. Hardly worth the poll. For me, if the weather and time of day is dynamiic within adjustable ranges, then I can take it or leave it. If it is always fixed throughout a race, it's a waste of time.
 
How important are weather and time of day changes to me?

VERY important.

I have been clamoring, discussing, begging and hoping for those very two things to be included in Gran Turismo 5 - specifically rain.

After over 5 years of work on this game, after the countless promises and assertions by Kazunori Yamauchi over the years that rain was being created and would be in the game and after Kazunori Yamauchi himself stated that it only took them about 2 months to implement damage - there is no excuse to not have these features in the retail build of GT5 - at the very least rain. :grumpy:
 
how important are weather and time of day changes to me?

very important.

I have been clamoring, discussing, begging and hoping for those very two things to be included in gran turismo 5 - specifically rain.

After over 5 years of work on this game, after the countless promises and assertions by kazunori yamauchi over the years that rain was being created and would be in the game and after kazunori yamauchi himself stated that it only took them about 2 months to implement damage - there is no excuse to not have these features in the retail build of gt5 - at the very least rain. :grumpy:
preach it!

We should all storm PD's offices one day and demand the implementation of weather and ToD or we'll camp out in their fancy employee hotel for as long as necessary.
 
Very Important.
Why? Because I want to see GT evolve like never before. Still has the same ol' sounds and don't get me started on the tire noises, 20 tracks[?!], bumper car-like crash physics, cookie cutter AI, and no skid marks. With production going THIS LONG I would like to truly reap the benefits of the wait.
 
preach it!

We should all storm PD's offices one day and demand the implementation of weather and ToD or we'll camp out in their fancy employee hotel for as long as necessary.

I'm so excited about the possibility of what it will feel like and look like to race in the rain and at night in GT5; that if we don't get those features - I may just storm their offices and code it in for us all myself! 💡:sly:
 
I´d take this over damage any day altho i´d like both in the end anyway, weather, night/day would just be epic in GT, nailing the corkscrew in rain at night would be awsome, and oohhh The Ring. :drool:
 
I'm so excited about the possibility of what it will feel like and look like to race in the rain and at night in GT5; that if we don't get those features - I may just storm their offices and code it in for us all myself! 💡:sly:

Heh, if it comes to that, I'll help.
 
For me it is extremely important.
I want the real deal and worked out properly.

I rather have no damage and a good time and weather cycle and effect.
 
Weather is not that important. Frame rate will get a big hit from rain or snow. Night and day effect is okay. i saw singapore F1 and it looks so great seeing cars race at night. But for me the most important thing is smokes on tires and skid marks and also damage features
 
I can not stress just how much GT needs these features. It's not like skid marks or improved engine notes, these two features can help to immerse the player in the driver environment and effect the out come of races.

In my book there is no excuse why these two features should not be in the final game. I'd happily sacrifice a few cars on the grid for these effects.
 
My main problem with the GT series has always been the realism of the 'endurance' races. In GT4 I raced every endurace race up untill the first pitstop and then let Bob take over. In some cases I would go back at some point, but in most races I didn't even bother. Seen 20 laps, seen em all.

Mechanical damage would be the first step in making these races more realistic. Up untill now abusing your car in endurance races would in the worst case only lead to faster tyre wear. I would love to see some busted gear boxes :)

Day/night is the second big issue here. If you implement 24 hour races, you should implement the experience of 24 hours.

Weather is not that important to me. While I agree with everyone that it would be great to have, it doesn't influence my feeling of realism when playing the game. I don't mind believing that the sun always happens to shine when I'm racing, I do mind the fact that the sun stays in the same position for 24 hours.
 
How important are weather and time of day changes to me?

VERY important.

I have been clamoring, discussing, begging and hoping for those very two things to be included in Gran Turismo 5 - specifically rain.

After over 5 years of work on this game, after the countless promises and assertions by Kazunori Yamauchi over the years that rain was being created and would be in the game and after Kazunori Yamauchi himself stated that it only took them about 2 months to implement damage - there is no excuse to not have these features in the retail build of GT5 - at the very least rain. :grumpy:

I'm with you man but what most people here including you seem to forget is that you need certain harware-recourses to produce such effects as day/night/weather change. 16 car grid with 200.000k polys, astounding graphics, "faked" 1080p, complex physics routine and damage is already more than enough for the ps3 I believe (we all know that even GT5p's framerate dropped occasionally), I think it is no coincidence that the damage-demos (GC/TGS) had only a 10 car grid (and don't argue with your: "but there are other tracks with only 10 cars"-argument, because Tokyo Route 249 is quite big and very broad, it's not that it is like Eiger Nordwand, where a 10-car grid does make sence indeed.
If you add than weather change, you only have...lets say 8 cars on track, than add day/night changes and you have 6 cars left on the screen, that's at least what I imagine, I'm not a programmmer, nor Kaz himself, maybe they CAN implement it, but I really highly doubt that.
Though I would like to be proven wrong.
 
These are most important features.

For "time of day", I would love 4 options for normal races (Sunrise, Day, Evening and Night) and cycling with progressive sun movement for Endurance races. For the sake of fair racing, for short racing in Sim mode, weather should probably be set to either, dry or wet, but for Enduros, Id love changing weather, rain and then drying tracks.
 
If Gran Turismo calls itself 'the real driving simulator' then i think that day/night cycles and changing weather are essential.
 
I'm not really concerned about weather. Nice to have but not a fail without it. Day/night is very important. You just can't simulate an endurance race without it.
 
I have never watched an endurance race that wasn't affected by the weather! Take the last Le Mans series race at Road Atlanta for example. If you have day/night cycles you therefore need weather cycles.
 
Day night cycles,not important but would be nice on 24 hour races (which ill very very rarely do,if ever)

Weather,important and i want it,but GT4 had one or two wet tracks didnt it (in the special conditions category)
 
Snow and Nordschleife, that's all I ask. rain is for wussies.
 
It's because I've bought every GT since 3 that I don't see how damage is even remotely important to this series[...]

Fair enough. So you've played a couple of Gran Turismo games before.

My question is WHY...

No one, not even PD can even remotely simulate damage accurately to the degree that they can simulate cars and weather

Can you say with a straight face...that GT3 & GT4 are perfect?
 
Back