How many cars should GT6 have?

• Thread starter Conza
  • 631 comments
And again, I strongly disagree with this. It does not harm to have more of the "same models", if they have relevant mechanical changes.

Which none of the duplicates do. That's why they are duplicates.

I still have to read valid arguments for having less cars.

You know what doesn't exist in real life? The Mitsubishi 3000GT SR. PD putting it in the game and presenting it as a real car objectively makes the game worse than it would be if it wasn't there.

That's off the top of my head.

To say nothing the ethical problem of saying that there are 1000 cars in the game when a sizable portion them are literally only differentiated by colors changes (Ford GT, several of the Skylines, probably a quarter of the Miatas), aesthetic packages (Mercedes SLR, Mustang, various 350z models) or the market they are sold with (Miatas and 350z and RX-7s and many, many other cars).

..but seriously, they're not that horrible to look at. Don't like it? Don't drive it.

Are you kidding me? This argument was crap the day the game came out.

Last edited:
Which none of the duplicates do. That's why they are duplicates.[...]
Most people in this forum for "duplicate" really mean "the same-looking models", however. That, I don't agree at all for multiple reasons I've already stated. It's as if people think that each individual car takes the same amount of modeling time (taking aside the "6 months per car" BS) as a completely new one made of scratch. That's not the case.

I instead agree about taking out made-up car trims (as you mentioned) or cars that already have the same identical premium counterpart. Those have absolutely no basis for being in the game, other than inflating their total number for bragging rights.

Most people in this forum for "duplicate" really mean "the same-looking models", however. That, I don't agree at all for multiple reasons I've already stated. It's as if people think that each individual car takes the same amount of modeling time (taking aside the "6 months per car" BS) as a completely new one made of scratch. That's not the case.

I instead agree about taking out made-up car trims (as you mentioned) or cars that already have the same identical premium counterpart. Those have absolutely no basis for being in the game, other than inflating their total number for bragging rights.

I thought he was talking about the multitudes of different-MY Skylines which have no or very few differences from the others except the year.

I was thinking that the original purpose of this thread was to make educated predictions as to how many cars are going to be in GT5, not just baseless guessing. ;)

I was thinking that the original purpose of this thread was to make educated predictions as to how many cars are going to be in GT5, not just baseless guessing. ;)

There's a fine line between the two, unfortunately.

If the assumption holds true that standard cars are forever gone, then we should expect no more than 500-550 cars (all premium obviously)

If PD dares to add them again (GT6 would have to be on the PS3), then we'd probably see 1,300-1,325 models.

That's my educated guess. :)

I was about to say, at first you came across differently than you do in these type of topics. Now I see clearly.

What is baseless to you? It's not baseless if you look at the history of PD a lower amount than a previous game isn't that far fetched.

300 cars is a good starting point. PD could cut all the cars that have been hardly driven in GT5. I mean, how many people are racing the prius..... -_-

I'd like 500 cars, super-premium. Like, each fully sound-modeled for each upgrade, and done perfectly. But also up the upgrades.
1: Proper four-barrel carbs! I want to feel and see the secondaries pop open! Why does this game forever treat 4-barrel throttle curves like they were computer controlled modules? And I want proper modeling for, say, different intake manifolds on the same car -- twin 4's, six-pack, small single or massive single, true super-charger sound and effect (and let it pop through the hood for once!)
and, to keep the detail like that (but fewer cars) by allowing for different from-the-dealership options, like a 440-six instead of a Hemi-single-4 barrel. And have them really model this, and get the sound right. Changing rear-differentials with a stock transmission should also be an option. Change engine timing, work with more specifics like heads, cam shafts and the like -- so it's not just "Stage 1"

2: Fully customizable tracks. Allow for all details to be created, including up to (say) 15 mile point to point courses. Allow me to remake that Sunday drive in the mountains. Collect the best recreations of famous mountain passes and share them for download each month on the PS3 network.

3: Offer new cars online every month, say 5 a month, at like a buck a piece. No packs... just a dollar and you get the car. Make a wishlist people can pre-order from, which would be kind of a vote for that car. PD could post a detailed video of how to map and store a car model's data and ask for user submissions, outsourcing a lot of the footwork to the rabid fans, creating a collective creative product.

The attempt at Nascar was good, but PD should make a separate division for PD-Nascar and have a team do just that for a separate game. I'd but it.

If we get 500 that would be fine. PD need to cut the painful repetition of Japanese cars - Instead of 10 standard Mazda MX-5s give us at most 2 premium.

GT6 cannot have standard cars as that is something you only get away with once. As many have already said we need quality over quantity. So many great omissions we could have as opposed to another version of the Skyline or MX-5.

I doubt that GT6 will have as many cars upon release. They will probably just add more cars through DLC.

seems like the consensus is to make all standards premium, or at least don't include them in GT6. I know both sound a bit harsh, but it simply wouldn't be acceptable to have PS2 cars in a PS4 game.

@shirakawa: the "same models" issue is all about the amount of cars GT5 supposedly has. Using the industry standard of having "duplicates" only if there are major differences between each model, for example an R32 with an R33, GT5 does not have more than 1000 cars but rather 400 or less, with maybe 150 premium (nascars, first dlc cars and so on).
That's why the game's ~70 skylines and GT-Rs don't truly count as 70, but only the premium models (you could even shave off some of the gazillion GT-Rs variations though) and about 10 standards to be honest.

Last edited:
I think what's more important is that the level of customisation has to be upped considerably. Forza 4 has an incredible amount of aftermarket parts for its cars, with a wide selection of real-life tuning parts. And of course, that livery editor...

Also, Gran Turismo badly needs interior customisation (seats, roll cages, auxiliary gauges, the lot), now that the cars have incredibly detailed interiors.

Same quantity (maybe a bit less than 1K) but ALL premium, if PS4 cant handle that im quitting consoles altogether i dont wanna wait till im 50 to have a PS that can run alongside a basic i5 with a GFX card and a bit of ram.

As far as Dupe models. Just include the best trims and cut the extra pedantic "2kmh\top speed difference" models.

Save TIME and EFFORT and SPACE PD. One Mazda Miata per gen is good enough, we dont need 3 different versions, if they are all 1.8, non turbo, convertible, same HP and generation, only difference being a Nardi wheel.

In certain cases, like the Supra, the RZ and SZ-R are legitimately different, One has a Turbo and the other is NA, this is a good example of acceptable "Version Differences" because they are fundamental and vast, even though the cars are 99% identical, the turbo makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
In certain cases, like the Supra, the RZ and SZ-R are legitimately different, One has a Turbo and the other is NA, this is a good example of acceptable "Version Differences" because they are fundamental and vast, even though the cars are 99% identical, the turbo makes a huge difference.

Fit a turbo to the NA, same result.

Thats the point tho, this would be an acceptable case of a Dupe because the difference in performance is enough to notice a change in the cars behavior, no turbo lag, better torque and engine response despite having less HP.

I'm not seeing how substantially different model variations shouldn't be in GT6. So long as PD doesn't do crap like they did with the Miatas, why is it a problem?

A Supra SZ-R isn't a duplicate of the Supra RZ. It's legitimately a different car in terms of performance.

I'm not seeing how substantially different model variations shouldn't be in GT6. So long as PD doesn't do crap like they did with the Miatas, why is it a problem?

A Supra SZ-R isn't a duplicate of the Supra RZ. It's legitimately a different car in terms of performance.

Bang Bang.

seems like the consensus is to make all standards premium, or at least don't include them in GT6. I know both sound a bit harsh, but it simply wouldn't be acceptable to have PS2 cars in a PS4 game.

@shirakawa: the "same models" issue is all about the amount of cars GT5 supposedly has. Using the industry standard of having "duplicates" only if there are major differences between each model, for example an R32 with an R33, GT5 does not have more than 1000 cars but rather 400 or less, with maybe 150 premium (nascars, first dlc cars and so on).
That's why the game's ~70 skylines and GT-Rs don't truly count as 70, but only the premium models (you could even shave off some of the gazillion GT-Rs variations though) and about 10 standards to be honest.
There are "only" 25 Skyline GT-R production cars out of 60 or so Skyline GT-R's and 3 are R35's.

The GT-R's that I didn't count are concepts, tuners, race cars, and the pace car. A number of the cars that I did count are special edition production cars.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/local/jp/data1/products/gt5/carlist_en.html
These take into account the same things.
I only picked the models with the most noticeable of duplicates.

Something like the Camaro would be wrong to count.
Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car
Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 RM '69

Chevrolet Camaro SS '69
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
Chevrolet Camaro SS '00

Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
Chevrolet Camaro SS RM '10

16 Silvia's
19 Impreza's
28 RX-7's
34 Miata's
19 Evo's
28 GT-R's
17 S200's
12 3000GT's
11 out 13 Civic's
13 Honda NSX's/ 3 Acura
8 GTO's
8 FTO's

216 duplicates out 1074
makes it about 800 unique cars in GT5

I really like Miata's, but that's overkill, especially since none of them are convertibles in the game :).

AAAAND keep in mind what SHIRAKAWA Akira said.

Did I miss anything?

300 cars is a good starting point. PD could cut all the cars that have been hardly driven in GT5. I mean, how many people are racing the prius..... -_-
You should think of it this way, how many people are USING the Prius? It's not always about the speed of a car or type of car.

I haven't used it much at all, but I can't speak for a few 100k people that regularly play GT5 online and the completely offline players.

Last edited:
The Standard Lexus models (minus the IS touring car) and the 350z models. Also the Standard RenaultSport models.

And I wouldn't count the Acuras, because those were the only regional variations that PD actually put effort into making accurate.

Back