How much can you bench press?

• Thread starter Concept
  • 612 comments
My spotter said it was good, but I know I had him working on the last couple sets towards the end of the reps. I really don't want my spotter breathing hard when we're done so I always push my guts out for 'em. :D

Some days I need more warmup than others before I feel ready to hit the heavier weights. Seems when ever I jump in and go heavy when I'm cold, I get injured so lots of sets of getting good and warm yields better results generally.

Oh and, got back on my suppliments last Monday and have gained 14lbs from 232 to 246lbs today. Some of it's water retension I know (creatine and NO) but I also have my folks in town cooking for the family to help out with the new born so I'm sure that's part of it to. :) My weight should be up around 250 by the end of the week at this rate. :eek:

Last edited:
Wait, what?! This thread caught my interest since I've recently starting to go to the gym, and I'm still an underweight weakling rookie. Here are my "specs" :nervous:

Weight - 114lbs. :lol: Weakling!

Height - 5'7.4 feet

Age - 16

Bench Press - 13lbs. :lol: :(

Now that I have wrote it down, what's that about supplements? It just happens to be that as you may see, I'm way too skinny. And I have trouble increasing my weight. I just have started going to the gym two weeks ago, though I have been there just 10 days or so.

I wouldn't recomend supplements yet, you just need to eat more for now.

Otherwise, make it bulking powder rather than a straight protein supplement.

Wait, what?! This thread caught my interest since I've recently starting to go to the gym, and I'm still an underweight weakling rookie. Here are my "specs" :nervous:

Weight - 114lbs. :lol: Weakling!

Height - 5'7.4 feet

Age - 16

Bench Press - 13lbs. :lol: :(

Now that I have wrote it down, what's that about supplements? It just happens to be that as you may see, I'm way too skinny. And I have trouble increasing my weight. I just have started going to the gym two weeks ago, though I have been there just 10 days or so.

At your current 'specs' of age and training experience, I wouldn't go wasting a bunch of cash on suppliments expecting great things to happen right away. If anything, a good Whey protein would be good. Nutrition, sleep, and good consistant workouts would be your best formula for success in my opinion. I would define your personal goals of what you want to get out of working out then find some good experienced users to guide you there. I have come across some great teen lifting articles that are geared more for the new user that can recover quickly.

Last edited:
I do not want to end all bulked up. I would like to weight around 165-170lbs. As long as I'm not this skinny anymore. Of course, I would like to be defined. Not as much as Bruce Lee, for example, but as long as I'm a bit defined, I would be okay :)

I do not want to end all bulked up. I would like to weight around 165-170lbs. As long as I'm not this skinny anymore. Of course, I would like to be defined. Not as much as Bruce Lee, for example, but as long as I'm a bit defined, I would be okay :)

Well, given your body type and age, it would be really hard to get "all bulked up" especially in a short amount of time. I would guess you have a fast metabolism and burn most of your caloric intake which makes it really hard to bulk. The nice thing about your body type, you should notice muscle changes pretty fast, within the first 6 weeks easy if you stay steady in your routine and lift regularly. I would suggest finding a good Monday, Wednesday, Friday workout routine taking Tuesday/Thursday/Weekend off. (The days don't matter but you get the idea).

Thanks! One thing I found very odd was that the guy who works in the gym actually told me and my friends to go there Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. He told us that if we had to take a break, to be on Wednesday. Which I found very odd, since another friend of mine just told me what you said too. The first week really was a pain in my 🤬. I only went two days. But right now, I'm doing good. The other day I exercised shoulders, which hurt pretty bad, since that was my first day, while I've done the rest of the exercises at least for three days each by now. I really don't care to be all well bulked in less than two months. Not just because it is impossible, but rather because I know how extensive workout is supposed to be. My goal would be to get there in two years. Or something like that. What do you think?

Thanks! One thing I found very odd was that the guy who works in the gym actually told me and my friends to go there Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. He told us that if we had to take a break, to be on Wednesday. Which I found very odd, since another friend of mine just told me what you said too. The first week really was a pain in my 🤬. I only went two days. But right now, I'm doing good. The other day I exercised shoulders, which hurt pretty bad, since that was my first day, while I've done the rest of the exercises at least for three days each by now. I really don't care to be all well bulked in less than two months. Not just because it is impossible, but rather because I know how extensive workout is supposed to be. My goal would be to get there in two years. Or something like that. What do you think?

A two year goal is very realistic. I would change up your routine every 6 weeks or so to keep muscle confusion going in your favor. A full body workout three days a week might be enough right now for you, especially just starting out, but may want to get into a more isolated routine 5 or even 6 days a week. Get in, work as hard as you can and get out. Remember that the muscle growth comes from resting, not lifting. Lifting just tears the muscle down, resting is what rebuilds the muscle tissue.

I see a lot of people get into lifting and go balls out for a month or so then I never see them again because they get burnt out. I would rather see someone ease into it to gain an appreciation for the sport, then work up to more advanced routines as your interest level and muscle growth increases.

I see a lot of people get into lifting and go balls out for a month or so then I never see them again because they get burnt out.

That sounds like my older brother :lol: He went to the gym for two weeks or so. Then he left. :lol: He is still paying his subscription. Anyways, thanks for the enlightment! It's nice to know my goal is realistic. After all, I'm pretty sure once I get hooked, I won't be leaving soon, hehe.

That sounds like my older brother :lol: He went to the gym for two weeks or so. Then he left. :lol: He is still paying his subscription. Anyways, thanks for the enlightment! It's nice to know my goal is realistic. After all, I'm pretty sure once I get hooked, I won't be leaving soon, hehe.

Good luck man and don't get discouraged. It's worth it! 👍

What helps me a ton is having lifting partners that I respect and hold me accountable. They give me crap if I miss a day or am slacking in the gym. They expect nothing less from me. We encourage each other and help each other grow and pull each other through tough workouts. It's almost a must to help keep you dedicated and consistant.

:cheers:

I'll be more careful when I see you out on track.

"If I hit TimeAttack, .......his driver will kill my driver after the race. And maybe key my car!"

That's right :sly: You better be careful, because if you beat me I may turn into the Hulk and pick your car up and throw it half way across the track :lol:

Nice push. How did the 2x90 compare to the 4x87.5? Did it feel about the same?

Flat
8 x 70Kg ("Warm up")
6 x 80Kg
5 x 85Kg
4 x 87.5KG
2 X 90KG

Awesome!

I did a 3X5 5/5/5 at 40 kg yesterday. Benchpress really is my weakest point as I squatted AND deadlifted 70 kg yesterday (which was a PR btw). I started out at a little under 30 kg, and seeing as I was having a hard time with 3X12 at 20 kg last summer, I'm feeling great 👍 Espeically when you see a guy middle 20's not able to lift 40 kg once :lol:

My goal is to bench my own bodyweight 3X5, it'll be a tough road, but if I'm able to do this, then I'll be statisfied with myself for a long while 👍

Nice push. How did the 2x90 compare to the 4x87.5? Did it feel about the same?
Yeah, about the same but fatigue began to take its toll. It's interesting as I tend to fade near the last set while my gym buddy tends to improve!

Awesome!

I did a 3X5 5/5/5 at 40 kg yesterday. Benchpress really is my weakest point as I squatted AND deadlifted 70 kg yesterday (which was a PR btw). I started out at a little under 30 kg, and seeing as I was having a hard time with 3X12 at 20 kg last summer, I'm feeling great 👍 Espeically when you see a guy middle 20's not able to lift 40 kg once :lol:

My goal is to bench my own bodyweight 3X5, it'll be a tough road, but if I'm able to do this, then I'll be statisfied with myself for a long while 👍
Well in contrast my squat and deadlift aren't particularly good, as I've only started them recently. This is mostly because my gym buddy isn't much more experienced than myself and both exercises require good technique to be done safely and properly.

Most my leg work is done on machines and most my back work has focused on upper, a weakness in my workout definetly.

You're right, technique is so important with those lifts. For squats a few things that help my form are to:

1.) Always look up! Focus on the top of the squat rack.
2.) Push from your heels, not your toes.
3.) Stick that butt out and get a reverse arch on your back to keep it flat and act like you are going to sit down on the edge of a bench as you go down.
4.) Don't jerk and keep your motion smooth and deliberate going up and down.
5.) Never, never, never lock out your knees and never, never, never bounce at the top or bottom.

Just some things I've picked up over the years.

Actually, some bounce at the bottom can help you getting up since there is a spring kind of effect in your hamstrings when your in the bottom position of the squat. As for looking, I always look down, a couple of feet in front of my shoes. Sumo squats are badass, but I never do them :P

As for the 3X5, yes, that was what I meant Pako 👍

Actually, some bounce at the bottom can help you getting up since there is a spring kind of effect in your hamstrings when your in the bottom position of the squat. As for looking, I always look down, a couple of feet in front of my shoes. Sumo squats are badass, but I never do them :P

As for the 3X5, yes, that was what I meant Pako 👍

Bounce is helpful until you get heavy and explode your knees out. :D

It is definately harder to lift without the bounce, but to each his own. Where I'm going for healthy muscle growth, others may be going for sheer numbers. If I rep my guts out, I can squat 405lbs for 10 reps easy (don't watch me though), but if I want to get some good muscle growth and slow it down, I'm lucky to get 315lbs for 5-7 reps on a good, slow, deep and controlled squat.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

I have a close friend, that has back problems from doing squats. Having seen him workout, and the partner who was guiding him, I know why. He'll never admit it, but his form was horrible, and he was going for maximum weight. His partner believed that big weight = more muscle. While that is true for the most part, it also significantly increases your risk for injury.

I've found that if you control the weight, and concentrate on form, it makes a huge difference in adding muscle.

I'd disagree on the bounce at the bottom. That spring effect you are talking about, is the muscle involuntarily responding to weight that is excessive. If you are in control of the weight, and keeping your form, you'll not risk injury.

Then again, to each his own. What works for me, might not work for someone else. I aim to keep every movement in control, and hit the muscle group I am working on.

I must correct myself about the "bounce". The word I was looking for was "flex" in the hamstrings, not bouncing of course :dunce:

I do not bounce either, I go controlled down, butt out and down before anything else moves, and I really focus to start pushing up form the hips instead of the whole body. What I mean by flex is the tightness in the hamstrings that aid you getting back up, because I find sitting in the down position in the squat for several seconds weakens the muscles extremely fast and does no good to me at all :)

That slowing down and stopping on the bottom before heading back up is really tough, but will build mass and strength like you wouldn't believe. I tell a lot of guys in the gym to "Reduce the weight and isolate". Again, I'm not stength training, but muscle building. Stength comes secondary. For example, leg press allowed me to do a 1115 lb. set for 15 reps today and that was on the top of the set. So yes it's harder to lift that way, but it will give you a muscle shock like no other and should promote muscle growth like crazy.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but also notice that I'm focussing on strength. My goals are to bench my own bodyweight, and to squat and deadlift 100-120 KG before I start focussing on mass 👍

Yeah, I noticed that too, but also notice that I'm focussing on strength. My goals are to bench my own bodyweight, and to squat and deadlift 100-120 KG before I start focussing on mass 👍

Ahhh.... that makes sense. I have seen some guys in the gym that are strictly strength training with the craziest form, but they're putting up the weight so I give them props for that. Leg wraps, chaulk, and sweat flying all over the place. :D:tup:

Leg wraps, chaulk, and sweat flying all over the place. :D:tup:

Ah, gotta love it!

As for my form, I think it's pretty much in check, though I'm not too certain about power cleans. I've been filming my form, and then viewing it afterwards making me to adjust my form (one of the things that I corrected was to go deeper in the squat) 👍

I went from 13,2 lbs to 17,6lbs in one week :D Only counting the weights, of course. I don't know how much does the bar weight, but I think you are not supposed to count that one :lol:

Yes, you do infact. Is it a standard bar or an Olympic bar? I think the olympic bar weighs around 45 lbs 👍

It's not Olympic then. But I'm not sure how much does a standar bar supposed to weight. I believe the bar I'm using in the gym is around 150cm in lenght.

Latest Posts

Back