How much can you bench press?

• Thread starter Concept
  • 612 comments
once again good stuff mates

I'm not big on focusing on benching

I currently Rep 315lbs ( 142.88kg ) x 5-8 on flat, incline ( 3-5 ) and decline

I have not really maxed out on flat, I feel like I can get 350ish. I try when I arrive back to Japan.

shameless picture of me getting back in the bench game lifting 295lbs while in Kuwait on a lame broken bench...... Due to the Ipod gangs at the good benches lifting 95lbs and talking about women in the gym..... sigh........

gympic-1.gif

once again good stuff mates

I'm not big on focusing on benching

I currently Rep 315lbs ( 142.88kg ) x 5-8 on flat, incline ( 3-5 ) and decline

I have not really maxed out on flat, I feel like I can get 350ish. I try when I arrive back to Japan.

shameless picture of me getting back in the bench game lifting 295lbs while in Kuwait on a lame broken bench...... Due to the Ipod gangs at the good benches lifting 95lbs and talking about women in the gym..... sigh........

gympic-1.gif

I thought that was just at my gym. :lol:

I weigh 65kg, and although I haven't been to the gym for a long time, could probably still only muster 55kg at 1-2 reps or 45kg at 7 reps. Wish I could bench my own weight.

Eh, I used to bench semi-regularly but I've never had the commitment to actually follow a diet or anything like that.

Weight- 141lbs
Max bench - 203lbs

I think I had a post a couple years back here where my max was 180, so at least its' gone up some.

Yeah, but this was about 3 months ago. Since then, I've been working on cardio - I worked myself up to 8 miles 2 weeks ago, and I'm testing for my 3rd degree black belt in two weeks.

It's been a while since I've done an update in this thread.

Because I was nearing the overtraining point, I took this week off. Relaxed the diet a bit and avoided the weights. I did 30 minutes of light cardio and then a few sets of Bench press to test my limits.

I set a new personal record last night. 205lbs. Which isn't spectacular, but it is the break even point. I can officially bench my own weight.

I hit 185 before thanksgiving. Then later that workout did a different kind of lateral lift where you lay down on a flat bench, lock your arms out with the bar over your head like your about to bench it, then while keeping them locked, lower the bar to what for me is right under my groin, then bring it back to the first position. I tweaked something in my left shoulder, about rotator cuff/cup area, and now 135 hurts :(

Question for you guys: Is this one of those things I should push through, or let heal up? I'm thinking it's one I should let heal, but if it doesn't damage it to keep using it, I don't wanna fall behind.

And with that, I can now bench 25 more than I weigh :D

I hit 185 before thanksgiving. Then later that workout did a different kind of lateral lift where you lay down on a flat bench, lock your arms out with the bar over your head like your about to bench it, then while keeping them locked, lower the bar to what for me is right under my groin, then bring it back to the first position. I tweaked something in my left shoulder, about rotator cuff/cup area, and now 135 hurts :(

Question for you guys: Is this one of those things I should push through, or let heal up? I'm thinking it's one I should let heal, but if it doesn't damage it to keep using it, I don't wanna fall behind.

And with that, I can now bench 25 more than I weigh :D
Yes, let that heal. It sounds exactly like a Rotator Cuff injury. I managed to do that 16 years ago, and didn't let it heal properly. I still have minor nagging issues with it. Nothing to hinder, but it causes pain when I on certain exercises.

And now, what were you doing that particular exercise for? Front Deltoid?

Sounds like RC injury so definetley rest it up. Make sure you do a thorough warm up on it aswell before you get back to working it.

Did the BB Bench for the first time in ages today. I'm down to doing 80Kg (176lb) for 4 reps which is still 3Kg over my body weight. Sadly a fair way off my glory days of 90Kg (198lbs) for 3 last Easter.

Yes, let that heal. It sounds exactly like a Rotator Cuff injury. I managed to do that 16 years ago, and didn't let it heal properly. I still have minor nagging issues with it. Nothing to hinder, but it causes pain when I on certain exercises.

And now, what were you doing that particular exercise for? Front Deltoid?

I believe it works the muscle right above my bicep, is that the front deltoid? I'm sorry, I don't know haha.

Tried benching 95 today, still hurts, so I'm gonna lay off that for a while. I'll just have to stick to curls, pulldowns, etc. Squatted for the first time in quite a while today. 185 is still doable, 225 is probably max. I did get up 160 on a power clean today though. Best I've ever done :)

That is the Front Deltoid. Deltoid = Shoulder Muscle. Might I suggest that if you try this later on, use dumbells. Reasoning being, if you feel the pain again, you can easily drop it with no worries.

With Squats, The form you use far outweighs how much weight you can use. Squat correctly and depe enough and your legs will grow fast. I believe that Squats are one of the most essential lifts and inversely one of the most difficult.

I think I'll take that advice 👍

I used to put up 275-285 for 2 reps, but I don't think I get as deep as I do now. I've been caught up the numbers on those. I already have trouble finding pants that fit. My thighs and butt are too big to fit into pants with my waist size :lol:

That is the Front Deltoid. Deltoid = Shoulder Muscle. Might I suggest that if you try this later on, use dumbells. Reasoning being, if you feel the pain again, you can easily drop it with no worries.

With Squats, The form you use far outweighs how much weight you can use. Squat correctly and depe enough and your legs will grow fast. I believe that Squats are one of the most essential lifts and inversely one of the most difficult.

Squats also really helped my upper body growth and strength. When ever I start to plateau with bench, for example, I start hitting squats more intensely and can almost guarantee a boost to my bench, every time....

This is a good video on how to bench for this who haven't seen it.

Youtube code is Dh3t6T-nqP0

Strong strong language warning though. F-words galore.

The problem I find with alot of those power-lifting based videos is that they're aimed at teaching how to cheat the system.

Now I know my bench press technique isn't good at-all, but I don't see how anyone can claim that arching the back to that degree is for any other reason that reducing the range of motion and beating the "down to chest" rule.

My back only arches after I touch the bar to my chest... I've found that for some reason arching it while pushing back up helps me lift more.

The problem I find with alot of those power-lifting based videos is that they're aimed at teaching how to cheat the system.

Now I know my bench press technique isn't good at-all, but I don't see how anyone can claim that arching the back to that degree is for any other reason that reducing the range of motion and beating the "down to chest" rule.

I don't see how doing it right is considered cheating.

I don't see how doing it right is considered cheating.
You don't see how moving your chest up in an unnatural way in order to reduce the ROM is an attempt at cheating the system? He's not cheating per se because it's within the rules and everyone does it, but it's definetly an attempt to take advantage of a floor in the rules.

Now to say that is the "correct" way to bench-press when bodybuilding is in my opinion absolute rubbish. He cuts out half the ROM.

This is a good video on how to bench for this who haven't seen it.

Youtube code is Dh3t6T-nqP0

Strong strong language warning though. F-words galore.

I must say that he is using a very strange position of the back and feet in his bench technique. In all the videos I've seen I've been taught to plant my feet straight on the floor so I can push them down to keep my body stable. I just find the way he puts his toes on the floor along with a very large arch of his back really strange.

I didn't watch it, slow comp and all, but that sounds like a really weird to bench. My legs would cramp up! When I'm benching a lot of weight, my whole body goes rigid, and my quad has actually cramped because it once. That wasn't fun :lol:

I wish the thread was...'when you were in shape back in college, how much could you benchpress' hehe. I'm afraid I'd be lucky to up 175lbs now.

Jerome

Well, hit 315 for 2 reps on my own with a couple more spotted reps on flat bench.

Well, hit 315 for 2 reps on my own with a couple more spotted reps on flat bench.
And now my accomplishment feels dwarved :P

Congrats man! That's a metric **** ton of weight!
I wish the thread was...'when you were in shape back in college, how much could you benchpress' hehe. I'm afraid I'd be lucky to up 175lbs now.

Jerome

That's still pretty good 👍

Thanks man.... It's been slow going getting back into after the bicep repair. Hope to be back where I was in a few months...., well, my goal is 6 months to recover.

:cheers:

Wait. You REPPED more than twice my own weight, and you recently had your arm become potentially permanently damaged?

I'll say it yet again. Your daughter's first (And likely only) boyfriend is doomed.

Weight: 187
Height: 6
Bench Press: 155

Started weight lifting a few months ago, currently bench around 155
Obviously I'm hoping to increase that quite a bit over the next few months.
I read article how to increase your bench press part of the information is pretty useful.

Last edited:
Back