How much can you bench press?

• Thread starter Concept
  • 612 comments
Some guy in my Weight Training class named "coolie" (<- :odd: ) can bench 400lbs! :eek:

Also, Pako, the program your talking about, is it where you start of with say...50lbs, do that 20 reps or so then add 5lbs to each side, then do that about 15 times, then add like 10lbs or something like that?

Or is it a "burnout?"

Or am I wrong either way? :lol:

Originally posted by ViperConcept

I am one of only a handful of people in my weight training class who do not use a wide grip while benching heavy weight. Coach and other students say it is much easier but I have tried I can barely bench 120 with wide grip. I usually bench with my hands 15-20 inches away from each other. (I can not measure worth a **** excuse me if that sounds weird.)

Your best bet is to use a grip, on flat bench, that is just over shoulder width wide. Usually you just have to find what works best for you. However, doing bench with different width grip will work different things, ie. using more of your triceps, and blah, blah, you get the idea.
Anyhoo,
Me?

Ht. 6'00"
Wt. 190'ish (192-194)
max 255lbs. or about 116 kilos [that was after we had already done 2 sets of flat bench.]

Been working out about 18 months now, and my goal was to do my weight in 1 year. Well, I weighed 220 when I started and could barely do 135 lbs. more than a few times, now feel pretty good.

Originally posted by Dudebusta
anyway, benchpressing is nothing without repetition. ask yourselves, can you benchpress 80kilos 20 times? haha no way.
Yes, I can. I can guarantee Pako could too! :) 80 kilos works out to roughly 176 lbs. I have done 185 lbs. 20 times.

AND YES, I am a hero (to my 5 year and my 2 year old boys)!! ;)

And yes Pako, post it. I have what they call "plateaued" on my flat bench. I am still gaining in decline and incline, but not my flat.
Help if you can.

Yeah, still looking for the official sheet on it. I can tell you though that it was a variation of the University Of Nebraska's Bench program.

Basically you have a three day workout, with a rest in between each day.

The first day is light with lots of reps.
(If your max was 255, your rep weight might only be 90lbs..)

The second day is mid-weight with moderate reps.
(If your max was 255, your rep weight might only be 150lbs.)

The last day is heavy weight, light reps.
(If your max was 255, your rep weight might be 230lbs.)

Here's how the Rep grid works for each day, while I try to find the weight grid.

(Mon.)Day 1 - 10 reps, 5 reps, 4 reps.
(Wed.)Day 2 - 8 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps.
(Fri.)Day 3 - 6 reps, 3 reps, 2reps.

-----I'm still looking for the weight grid and will post it as soon as I find it, and I garantee that you'll bust out of your Plateau...:)

Originally posted by barryf1fan

........ I have what they call "plateaued" on my flat bench. I am still gaining in decline and incline, but not my flat.
Help if you can.

Something to take note, your muscles will reach a point where you will naturally plateau which is very common. What worked out best for me and my spotter was to brake up the routine that we were in. Change up schedules, lifting styles, specific exercises, and even diet.

Say your standard bench routine was to do 3 sets of 10 of a specific weight. Change that up, do some negitive presses with a spotter, only doing your standard reps as a warmup.

Negitives are presses where you put close to your max weight on the bar. Your spotter then helps you off the rack with it, you then (as slow as you can) lower it down to your chest. Your spotter then helps you back up with it again. That's rep #1, try sets of 5-10 reps. Do that for a month or two, then go back to your regular routine (whatever that might be).

Also changing up other routines for other body parts also helps in this area.

(Still looking for the weight grid)

Originally posted by Pako

Something to take note, your muscles will reach a point where you will naturally plateau which is very common. What worked out best for me and my spotter was to brake up the routine that we were in. Change up schedules, lifting styles, specific exercises, and even diet.

Say your standard bench routine was to do 3 sets of 10 of a specific weight. Change that up, do some negitive presses with a spotter, only doing your standard reps as a warmup.

Negitives are presses where you put close to your max weight on the bar. Your spotter then helps you off the rack with it, you then (as slow as you can) lower it down to your chest. Your spotter then helps you back up with it again. That's rep #1, try sets of 5-10 reps. Do that for a month or two, then go back to your regular routine (whatever that might be).

Also changing up other routines for other body parts also helps in this area.

(Still looking for the weight grid)
oh, hell yeah. I remember reading that in a Joe Weider book I use to have. Thanks for the *refresh*! :)

Dang dude, your awesome [and you make kick a$$ avatars]:thumbsup:

You at the RUSH concert: [singing]
Lakeside park, willows in the breeze
Lakeside park, so many memories.
(I'm jealous) :P

Weight: 137
Height: '5 "5 3/4
Bench: 4 * 12 reps 100 lbs.
Max: 130
(That benching is about 2 months ago. Gonna get back into it when school starts)

Bench press

Weight : 185 Lbs. ( 84 kg.)

Height : 5' 10" (185 cm.)

Bench (max) : 225 lbs. , 2 times

Curls (max) : 85 lbs. 10 times, work with 50 for my reps.

Got to keep that high school...university... oh who am I trying to kid, I work like a fiend to keep my weight down, it helps in my line of work. Most of the people that I have to pick up at work are very overweight and usually can't lift their butts off the ground. That isn't going to happen to me. Still do the C.N. Tower climb, best time is about 1 hour. Cycling, soccer and a good weight training program.

I have a question for you older people, :P when you guys were in your sophmore years like 15,16,17 years old, could you bench 240 with 1 rep? Just wondering because I thought it was amazing that someone in my weight training class could.

Height- 6'1
Weight-187 lbs
Age-17
Bench-195 8 reps, maxed out at 225
Squat-850
Curl-155
40 yard dash- 4.6 seconds

i don't know if i can still do all this, it's from last season (football)

I bench press my body weight - or at least I could last time I tried.

20020716.gif

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by StevieMo
what kinda angle do you extend your arms at?
that makes a big difference too

is not really that important, depends on what the person is trying to work out, if you want to work out your chest use a wide grip and if you want to work your arms(triceps, traps etc.) use a close grip.
I use a wide grip b/c i'm trying t get my chest bigger, my arms are aleady big enough :P

When I was 18:

Ht. 6'4"
Wt. 195lbs
Bench: 305lbs x1

Now I'm 26 and could probably still bench 225 without getting hurt too bad...
Damn, that's one heluva squat Puffy! :eek: I ran a 4.7 40 in high school but I could not squat anywhere near 800 lbs!

my friend, he's 19 now, he does 900 and something, when he was 18 he was up 1000+, now that's a squater
his legs r HUGE

Originally posted by Puffy
is not regular squat though, is box squat so it's a little easier

Box squats? :yuck: I do not like to do box squats at all. Our coach tells us to pick up our feet a little after we sit. When I do I nearly fall over. I prefer the reg squats. Box squats just scare the living hell outta me! :eek: :(

Originally posted by LoudMusic
I bench press my body weight - or at least I could last time I tried.

20020716.gif

~LoudMusic

:lol: Thanks for the comic releaf! :) And true, so true....

:cheers:

I have a question for you older people, :P when you guys were in your sophmore years like 15,16,17 years old, could you bench 240 with 1 rep? Just wondering because I thought it was amazing that someone in my weight training class could.
Well, I may not be an older person,:odd: but I'll answer.:P I'm 15, and my friend is also 15. He's been working out for a couple of years, and has played sports all his life. He can bench 250 5 times. I've seen him do it. It's pretty incredible.:eek:

I think ViperConcept was talking about lbs. not metric. :) Just kidding, but seriously, there's some big boys out there for sure.

I was assuming that in Canada, the metric unit of measure was used, therefore, 240 (metric weight) is considerably different than 240 lbs. I was just making a little joke, :), but if memory serves me correctly, plates (45lbs) is just about 22kg plates.

It's cool man, my communication skills tend to degrade around quiting time...

Speaking of....

It's just about that time, in another couple of hours... :)

I'm playing football right now i'm 17 and I can BP 275lb and my lifting partner ca BP 305 or some thing like that that foo is buf I only squad 600lb thats do for an LB(Me) and OL (I think?) I don't know how much he squads but he puts alot of wights on tha squad

Originally posted by Pako
I was assuming that in Canada, the metric unit of measure was used, therefore, 240 (metric weight) is considerably different than 240 lbs. I was just making a little joke, :), but if memory serves me correctly, plates (45lbs) is just about 22kg plates.

It's cool man, my communication skills tend to degrade around quiting time...

Speaking of....

It's just about that time, in another couple of hours... :)
Oh well, my interpretation skills were never good.:odd: Did that sound right?:reallyodd Ahh.:crazy:

Damn I feel so weak. 15 and only benching 160, while other 15 year old are doing 250 with 5 reps. *Sighs* I will be up there one day. Weight lifing is a passion of mine.

Damn I feel so weak. 15 and only benching 160, while other 15 year old are doing 250 with 5 reps. *Sighs* I will be up there one day. Weight lifing is a passion of mine.
Ok, I'll help you out. You're no good.:odd::P

Originally posted by Saleen Man

Good, I was hoping you wouldn't take that seriously or personally. Phew.;)

I took it like that for a sec. Then left the thread a little upset. Came back for some reason and realized you were talking about my sig when I read it the second time. :P

Latest Posts

Back