How Polyphony Digital Creates GT Sport "Photo Scapes" With Sony Alpha Cameras

Meanwhile who doesn't have HDR supported TV doesn't have any sense to make photos, because they look like a grey, colorless something.

Hmm... for me, the picture was very colorless during the second beta on our LG Smart TV. I'll check out if it's better when I get the full game. Thanks for the heads up, guys! :cheers:
One thing to check is put your TV in Video Game mode if you have it. If not try something like Brilliant or what ever mode you have that brings out the colors. Regular TV mode or Movie mode is not to good for games. We watch everything in Game mode.

It's still impressive how far ahead of everyone else Polyphony is on this front. Lots of games are including photo mode in their options now but all seem to rely on simply allowing the game engine handle the technical details. Because of that, depth of field never works as it should- even if a game includes "F-stop" controls, the numbers are meaningless (looking at you, PCARS 2...). Focal length also never seems to have any correlation to the depth of field, a relationship that is critical to understanding how a lens actually functions.

Not one game I'm aware of has yet to even match what GT has been doing for over a decade. Polyphony understands that photo mode is about more than just taking screenshots or even moving the camera around.

Meanwhile who doesn't have HDR supported TV doesn't have any sense to make photos, because they look like a grey, colorless something.
The HDR they are speaking of in the article presumably refers to the need to capture and store the wide range in the scape; I don't think it has anything to do with the final, user-created image considering that is just a jpeg. If any part of the original image is under- or overexposed, it will look flat should the user make adjustments that change the exposure levels. They need to make sure that doesn't happen and in order to do that, they need to capture and store far more dynamic range than cameras are traditionally able to in a single exposure.

I wish we had some scapes from Australia. F1 2017 photomode is pretty good me thinks. But GT’s the best one it has more options available to the user its crazy cool. If you know what your doing you can make some insanely impressive awesome shots.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we could import our own scapes into the game? :) I own a α6000 + some lenses and I could have another reason to go out and shoot if I could import the shots in GTSport.

One can dream, right?
You need post processing tool too, it s not simply a grab picture and import into the game

Wouldn't it be sweet if we could import our own scapes into the game? :) I own a α6000 + some lenses and I could have another reason to go out and shoot if I could import the shots in GTSport.

One can dream, right?
Great idea actually, how to keep inappropriate material off is the challenge

They should have used Canons for sky photos, they render the best clouds in my experience. The one in Ireland at the top of a cliff and used as a demo scape with the GT86 is noisy as heck.

VXR
They should have used Canons for sky photos, they render the best clouds in my experience. The one in Ireland at the top of a cliff and used as a demo scape with the GT86 is noisy as heck.
I think you’re forgetting that PD is part of Sony.

I think you’re forgetting that PD is part of Sony.

I'm not forgetting, I can fully understand why Alpha cameras were used and fully aware that they are currently stupendously capable in their own right, but as a Canon and Nikon user I've become inclined to tailor which camera I use based on their strengths and my intended use. Just nitpicking really.

True, but afaik it doesn't perform fantastic with low light, and isn't more a studio DSLR camera? (getting OT here)

It has no optical pass filter, something I'd appreciate more in landscape work than anywhere with a risk of moire. And yes, OT now haha.

If I were Kaz, I think i would probably try to get sony DI to make me an A7 with a corner rangefinder,

VXR
It has no optical pass filter, something I'd appreciate more in landscape work than anywhere with a risk of moire. And yes, OT now haha.
As far as i know, the a7 r series does not use low pass filters as well.

Last edited:
Want to see a lot more locations and countries in 2018 especially Greece.
Not because I'm Greek but because Greece has a lot of picturesque sights to photograph. It would be great if you could add your car near the Parthenon.

VXR
Mmm. as far as dynamic range and noise are concerned Sony make the best sensors, and because a lot of Nikon cameras use Sony sensors too, most Nikon's are pretty good. Canon are lagging behind as far as sensors are concerned, and have been for a number of years.

Saying that, I don't think any of the images in the Scapes would push any modern DSLR/mirrorless camera.

As an aside, I was quite surprised by the use of Venice in the Scapes, seeing as how difficult it would be to get a car into those locations in real life. I suppose it gives 'pics' of Venice different to the millions who go there every year. ;)

I went there last April and was very surprised to see Campiello dei Miracoli as one of the photo locations. It was a scene that caught my eye during my visit, but from being there it must be one of the most inaccessible places in the game. :lol:

Last edited:
Mmm. as far as dynamic range and noise are comcerned Sony make the best sensors, and because a lot of Nikon cameras use Sony sensors too, most Nikon's are pretty good. Canon are lagging behind as far as sensors are concerned, and have been for a number of years.

Saying that, I don't think any of the images in the Scapes would push any modern DSLR/mirrorless camera.

As an aside, I was quite surprised by the use of Venice in the Scapes, seeing as how difficult it would be to get a car into those locations in real life. I suppose it gives 'pics' of Venice different to the millions who go there every year. ;)

I went there last April and was very surprised to see Campiello dei Miracoli as one of the photo locations. It was a scene that caught my eye during my visit, but from being there it must be one of the most inaccessible places in the game. :lol:

Funny you mention Dynamic Range because I think my lowly D3300 is better in that regard than my 5Dii. Canon definitely works best with ND Grads, that's for sure.

I wonder if someday this tech will be available to use in public if light data and spatial information can be automated. I'd kill to try this software out. I have a lot of Scapes ideas in mind.

Back