How "Special" are PRO race Drivers?

• Thread starter Rich S
  • 426 comments
Kamuifanboy
Unfortunately, yes. Well, no. He has started a new one.

Whats his new one? I have been looking through this thread since it was made but havent checked in a while.

Kamuifanboy, there's the engineers, the pit crew, (in Nascar the crew chief, the spotters), the sponsors, teammates, engine suppliers, track volunteers, the fans the officials & stewards.....the list goes on and on. Not to mention your family. Not to mention the team has (as has been pointed out) thousands of drivers to choose from. Your replaceable (if your a driver, I dont know who you are).

But a driver builds working relationships with his engineers. Often replacing a driver has problems off the track just as replacing any employee would, regardless of the driver's performance on-track. The driver is a part of the team and often the performance of the car is reliant on the feedback given by the driver. You can't say the driver isn't important within a team, even at the highest level where the car does make the biggest difference.

Whats his new one? I have been looking through this thread since it was made but havent checked in a while.

Here you go.

OK...I'm willing to accept there's some good talent in motor racing. The top 25 out of a few thousand is pretty solid.....

It really is all about the TEAM though. The driver is one of many. Some of these drivers seem to think their really something (most of them.) :sly::sly:

Completely different argument now, out of nowhere...

It's probably because his Ego thinks that he won the last argument. And that he is going to take us on again...

OK...I'm willing to accept there's some good talent in motor racing. The top 25 out of a few thousand is pretty solid.....

It really is all about the TEAM though. The driver is one of many. Some of these drivers seem to think their really something (most of them.) :sly::sly:

How much racing do you ACTUALLY watch? Most smaller race series are comprised of the SAME cars. Which are the SAME. Yeah so maybe one engine has 1 HP more or something. But that's not going to make anyone win over the other.

I don't know about you guys, but if I didn't thank the team each and every time I come off the track, I wouldn't have a seat. And that is the same with any other driver. I mean, I don't know about you, but how many drivers do you see that get interviewed after a race that;
1. Don't thank the team
2. Say that they were the only reason that I did well was all because of me.
In a sport comprised of needing connections to get much of anywhere these days, do you really expect to be a tool and get anywhere?

But of course, in your opinion, you'll refuse to understand anything that i've said and continue to make ignorant posts.

Its metaphor time!!!
A driver is the large piece of the puzzle rather than the box it comes in.
POW!!!

Rich S, when will you learn you wont win an argument against all of GTPlanet?

Kamuifanboy
He says that he is not. But I have the strange suspicion that he's just jealous that because he's good at GT5, why can't he become Lucas Ordonez.

Well, I think this argument is over. (Unless Rich is out googling the next 5 paragraph essay he will post)

But a driver builds working relationships with his engineers. Often replacing a driver has problems off the track just as replacing any employee would, regardless of the driver's performance on-track. The driver is a part of the team and often the performance of the car is reliant on the feedback given by the driver. You can't say the driver isn't important within a team, even at the highest level where the car does make the biggest difference.
The driver is a link in the chain. There's no doubt. I'm done with this crappy thread. :sly:

"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." -Michael Shumacher

“My overriding memory of childhood is having the freedom to decide which way to go in life and having my parents' support.” -Michael Shumacher

The driver is a link in the chain. There's no doubt. I'm done with this crappy thread. :sly:

“My overriding memory of childhood is having the freedom to decide which way to go in life and having my parents' support.” -Michael Shumacher

Again, your done because
1. you know you lost
2. because you refuse to respond to the post below, you are surrendering. So long.

Completely different argument now, out of nowhere...

It's probably because his Ego thinks that he won the last argument. And that he is going to take us on again...

How much racing do you ACTUALLY watch? Most smaller race series are comprised of the SAME cars. Which are the SAME. Yeah so maybe one engine has 1 HP more or something. But that's not going to make anyone win over the other.

I don't know about you guys, but if I didn't thank the team each and every time I come off the track, I wouldn't have a seat. And that is the same with any other driver. I mean, I don't know about you, but how many drivers do you see that get interviewed after a race that;
1. Don't thank the team
2. Say that they were the only reason that I did well was all because of me.
In a sport comprised of needing connections to get much of anywhere these days, do you really expect to be a tool and get anywhere?

But of course, in your opinion, you'll refuse to understand anything that i've said and continue to make ignorant posts.

*edit*

Not to mention you spelled Schumacher incorrectly twice. You don't watch racing at all,

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, he tried his best, now give him a break. Its about five against one here. Just let Rich have his opinion.

I'm done with this crappy thread. :sly:

Edit: I have nothing against the guy, he's just very stubborn. He's also been wrong for most of the thread. Good times on the interwebs. :lol:

Last edited:
Trust me, there are some people out there who are just special drivers.

I race go karts and there are just some people who just have an amazing skill at driving that doesn't just come through practise. Everyone can become good through practise, but some people are beyond good. Like Lewis Hamilton when he won his first race against many, much more experienced drivers.

I bet you that even in my kart after 30 laps you wouldn't be within 0.5 secs of my time, that amount of time alone isn't even enough to learn a track let alone beat someone who has spent their life practising, and has been picked out of hundreds of thousands of hopefuls to fill that dream space in f1.

Dream on if you think you are as good as f1 drivers, if you really think you are get out there on a racetrack and prove me wrong.

Amen! Haha well said lbs

Don't think this is even a reasonable discussion at this point.

It isn't.

In my opinion, one doesnt need to spend 12 hours a week training for formula racing outside the car...... but not many will believe that.....because they lack an open mind & are ignorant themselves (in my opinion.)

Interesting. In this one paragraph, you have given us your expert opinon (i.e. completely unfounded and ignoring testimony from one of only 102 drivers to win a world championship grand prix) then called everyone else narrow minded and ignorant for not believing you.

Rich S
IMO (in my opinion) MMA is 10 times the sport driving a race car is. Is driving a race car more rewarding & more fun? (I think so. :))

Take from the following what you will, but I recently spent 6 months in Toronto. While there, I made friends with a Belgian guy who was formerly a tennis protege. He failed to become a professional tennis player, but now at the age of 22 he was training at a gym run by a former Pride FC legend. Now I don't follow mma, but the gym was in the GTA.

The same guy also had a huge interest in Motorsports. Particularly rallying. He told me about a go kart track in Belgium, where he hired a 125cc go kart. After spending a while building up to his max pace, he had around 30 minutes with the go kart.

After this, his heart was racing, his arms ached and he felt exhausted. Granted, this guy isn't a world class athlete, but I think it's fair to say he is in better shape than most.

If your faster than me I believe your far faster than an F1 driver in GT5. (imo).

I really hope you were being sarcastic.

Rich S
GT5 TTs are a bad way of determining potential though because you can simply rinse and repeat while crashing many times. In a real car you cant crash, ever!! Unless you very rich.

Exactly. Another thing to have on your mind during your attempt to beat Webber in 30 laps.

This entire thread is filled with excellent reasoning and fact. Unfortunately none of that came from Rich S.

Fryz, I'll race you using the F1 cars. I'll add you. Although were in slightly diff time zones. :sly:

This still on?

Cause we want this to be about pure driving, how about the Toms Supra from the arcade list or something?

I drove a Skip Barber Formula 2000 car at Laguna Seca...

Sure, I was 4th of those assembled (About 15 or 20) But it was HARD. Like, very hard. I can't imagine doing it everyday. But I love it. And I wish I could. But I know I'm not brilliant, so there isn't really a future for it. Hammond failing driving the Formula Renault is a real thing. Formula cars are really hard to drive. You'd have to be some sort of specially talented person to do it consistently well..

I drove a Skip Barber Formula 2000 car at Laguna Seca...

Sure, I was 4th of those assembled (About 15 or 20) But it was HARD. Like, very hard. I can't imagine doing it everyday. But I love it. And I wish I could. But I know I'm not brilliant, so there isn't really a future for it. Hammond failing driving the Formula Renault is a real thing. Formula cars are really hard to drive. You'd have to be some sort of specially talented person to do it consistently well..

Do you know what sort of times you were running? I ran a 1:41.8 at the shootout on the regional series setup

Latest Posts

Back