Hyundai announce "N" performance division, nabs EX Head BMW M division engineer in the process.

Hyundai could have used the i30 N Fastback as an opportunity to go all-out with the styling. For instance, that longer rear boot is ideal for placing a Civic Type-R inspired wing. Those wanting a more restrained look can opt for the regular i30 N.

Can't afford a Hyundai i30N? No problem! Like pretty much every other car manufacturer with a performance arm these days, Hyundai is set to offer "N-Line" models, which essentially dress up conventional models with sporty styling cues. The i30 N-Line has been caught testing, but this probably isn't the final design given how the rear bumper has an empty exhaust slot.
hyundai-i30-n-line-spy-photos.jpg

hyundai-i30-n-line-spy-photos.jpg

Hyundai i30 N-Line (yep, they went with that name) officially revealed.
hyundai_i30_n_line_3.jpg

hyundai_i30_n_line_8.jpg

Predictable, but looks really good in my opinion. Now here's hoping the Facelift doesn't ruin things like what happened with the Elantra. :yuck:

The slightly hunchbacked styling of the Fastback has been bothering me recently. Hyundai has obviously tried to maintain some practicality with the car, which is fair enough, but on a shorter platform and particularly a front-drive one it means the roof isn't as "fast" as it should be. The standard rear overhang is a little long too - again, fine with a more cab-backward rear-driver car, but not so great on a front-driver. So I attempted, with my very basic Photoshop skills, to enact a fix:

fastback.gif

To me the lower rear roofline and shorter back end take a lot of visual weight off the back of the car and make it look a lot more dynamic. I don't doubt it'd reduce trunk space and rear headroom slightly, but I'm tired of absolutely everything having to be a complete all-rounder - that's not what niche vehicles are supposed to be - so sod it.

Someone on Twitter suggested it looked similar to the Mazda 323F, which I'm choosing to take as a compliment...

lantis3.jpg

Hyundai i30 N-Line (yep, they went with that name) officially revealed.
Forgot to mention, but I'm in one of those at the moment:

Dn7WFqUXUAE5q8m.jpg

Was an interesting comparison with the "proper" N as I switched directly from one to the other.

About 138bhp, so not much more than half the power of the N I was driving. Very much a momentum car! Doesn't sound as good either. Despite being on smaller wheels (18" rather than 19") I'd say it doesn't quite ride as well either - probably down to this having passive dampers and the N having active ones.

However, it's a good effort and I expect if a customer came to it from a conventional car in this class rather than one of the hot ones, there'd be a lot to like. Steering is pretty good, chassis feels nicely balanced, good grip, slick gearshift, and the interior doesn't feel much different from the N - it even has the same seats.

Available in LHD for Belgium, but not North America still.

Booooo.

I like the look of the hatch's rear over this.

Didn't realise the i30N Sportsback, is being used in the Speed Comparison at the Melbourne Grand Prix. Looks cute. I do prefer the hatch though. That TCR looks awesome.

Back