Hyundai Ioniq & Kia EV Thread

I didn't say it wasn't cool. It's very cool concept of a hot hatch EV that frankly I wish VW would've done with the e-Golf. There are a lot of very cool and neat features about this N EV. It will weigh over 1000 pounds more than the Type-R, with no signs of lightweighting anywhere in a "track focused" hatchback. It will probably also cost north of 70k USD as well, which isn't really accessible to most.
My post wasn’t directed at your opinion. I was(please forgive me) weighting in on one of the negatives of EVs. As a side, I did see that Caterham Project V. So, we know someone will buck the trend.
As for the Hyundai, maybe the more sporting EVs they sell, gives rise to them building new models with lower weight.

My post wasn’t directed at your opinion. I was(please forgive me) weighting in on one of the negatives of EVs. As a side, I did see that Caterham Project V. So, we know someone will buck the trend.
As for the Hyundai, maybe the more sporting EVs they sell, gives rise to them building new models with lower weight.
Fair enough. Weight is the literal elephant in the room when EVs come up to me. It's not very efficient to be hauling 5-6k pounds of metal down the road, at least to me. The main fear with the Hyundai, in my mind, is the price will turn people away from the N version, making it a flop and discouraging other attempts at that market.

Fair enough. Weight is the literal elephant in the room when EVs come up to me. It's not very efficient to be hauling 5-6k pounds of metal down the road, at least to me. The main fear with the Hyundai, in my mind, is the price will turn people away from the N version, making it a flop and discouraging other attempts at that market.
For sure. I love light weight vehicles. Lightest I’ve owned was my ‘07 Daihatsu Charade 3-door(700kg class). The ‘08 Mazda2 I’m driving is just over 1000kg. I’d love to own an EV, with low weight, that isn’t a golf cart on the highway.

I can see that price point as a negative in the USA. Over here, buyers are willing to pay the premium for top models anyway. Won’t contribute much to the global market, but when it arrives( over $100k AUD), as much as I see current N models, I’m sure I’ll see enough Ioniq Ns on the road for Hyundai to justify shipping them.

RN22e crashes at Goodwood. Occupants okay according to tweets I saw

Saw this earlier and freaked out, honestly I thought with that much speed and weight it could've easily barrelled through a crowd of people and been an absolute disaster. Luckily Goodwood thought of this and that particular corner had like 5 rows of hay bails. It went through all of them, damn. This easily could've been the worst motorsports disaster in decades.

Seems Hyundai Kia is letting their EV design language infect the rest of the lineup. Y'all see the new Santa Fe? It's a reverse buttaface. That rear end is :ill:

Seems Hyundai Kia is letting their EV design language infect the rest of the lineup. Y'all see the new Santa Fe? It's a reverse buttaface. That rear end is :ill:
It's stunning and excellent. Hyundai's directive was for designers to get rid of a corporate face and make each car unique, and they've not only done that but also somehow made each car unique within the entire market. By far the best design department in the industry right now and it isn't close.

It's stunning and excellent. Hyundai's directive was for designers to get rid of a corporate face and make each car unique, and they've not only done that but also somehow made each car unique within the entire market. By far the best design department in the industry right now and it isn't close.
I like what they've done to the Sonata and Elantra. But the rear end of thaet Santa Fe is a big miss. Woof, it's bad.

641HP with boost, 601HP without and 545lb-ft of torque. Looking like the hot hatch we always wanted out of the Ioniq 5, but of course still crossover sized. So much more attractive than the other N products. Not sure how I feel about the simulated manual shifting with the simulated fuel cutoff.

hyundai-ioniq-5-n-front-3-4.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-n-rear-3-4.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-n-profile.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-n-seats.jpg

Edit: Finally a rear wiper too! Almost missed that part.

So beautiful!!!

But the Ioniq 5 N will go for 100k plus in Australia.

Too pricey. Im already looking into buying a new car mostly looking into Hyundai especially the I20N hatch, I30N hatch, I30 Sedan Hybrid and the I30N Sedan.

This is NOT an official render. But it should be.

Especially if it were gas powered. If I had the choice between a Mustang, 400Z, and this, the choice is obvious.

Last edited:
Design reveal of the production EV5 with powertrain info reveal later on their "EV Day" event

1692986486721.png

1692986491411.png

1692986504586.png

1692986512422.png

1692986519120.png

The all-new Kia EV5 compact electric SUV has been revealed by the South Korean manufacturer at the Chengdu Motor Show in China. And in typical Kia slash Hyundai slash Genesis fashion, we’ll have to wait for more details about the brand’s second zero-emissions SUV until October, when the brand will hold its EV Day event.

[...]

Dimensions and technical specifications are yet to be published by the company, but we already know from information published by the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) that the EV5 is 181.7 inches long, 73.8 in wide, and 67.5 tall, with a wheelbase of 108.2 in. By comparison, the Tesla Model Y is 187 in long, 75.6 in wide, and 63.9 in tall, with a wheelbase of 113.8 in.

Furthermore, according to The Korean Car Blog, the electric compact SUV will be powered by an 82-kilowatt-hour battery enabling a driving range of up to 372 miles.

The Kia EV5 will go on sale toward the end of the year in China, with other markets soon to follow.

The pictures make the car look massive despite the fact that's a compact SUV. According to the leak, it's 181.7 inches long. In comparison, the Rav4 is 190.9 inches. There's also an interesting hump where the center console should be

Design reveal of the production EV5 with powertrain info reveal later on their "EV Day" event

View attachment 1282726

View attachment 1282727

View attachment 1282728

View attachment 1282729

View attachment 1282730

The pictures make the car look massive despite the fact that's a compact SUV. According to the leak, it's 181.7 inches long. In comparison, the Rav4 is 190.9 inches. There's also an interesting hump where the center console should be
That would make it 1" shorter than the Ioniq 5....Hyundai/Kia are doing some weird stuff with proportion these days!

View attachment 1282726

View attachment 1282727

View attachment 1282728

View attachment 1282729

View attachment 1282730

Have we decided how big this thing is? It looks like a Telluride but I feel that it's more like a CX-5.

First drive impressions of the Ioniq 5 N

The "N e-Shift" mode is really cool. It simulates a DCT by cutting torque as you "shift" with the paddles and you can bounce off an artificial rev limiter if you don't shift

Every day we inch closer to Alex Roy's satirical article, which I believe is the true end game for electric sports cars

First drive impressions of the Ioniq 5 N

The "N e-Shift" mode is really cool. It simulates a DCT by cutting torque as you "shift" with the paddles and you can bounce off an artificial rev limiter if you don't shift

Every day we inch closer to Alex Roy's satirical article, which I believe is the true end game for electric sports cars

Been waiting for somebody to do this. I wonder if the powerband feels like an ICE?

Been waiting for somebody to do this. I wonder if the powerband feels like an ICE?
Didn't Mazda just patent some sort of EV transmission shifter?

Anyways, using software to emulate different ICE drivetrain characteristics is something I'd actually be interested in for EVs. It would introduce a lot more character and engagement into the cars, as well as driving technique. Those three things are most of what makes driving fun, besides the sound of course.

I figured engineers would find a way to make EVs fun to drive. Now, dealers get to make more money for shift app updates. ;)

The other thing this allows is for EVs to actually drift which isn't really possible other than Rimac's super sketch looking drift mode.

The other thing this allows is for EVs to actually drift which isn't really possible other than Rimac's super sketch looking drift mode.
I don't understand what you mean by "actually drift". An EV doesn't need any modes to drift at all, it just needs engineers to not be nerds. Single rear motor driving an LSD, simple. Dual-motor axles and lines of code are never going to properly simulate mechanical response.

As promised, here's the production version of the EV5. It will not come to the US as it will only be built in South Korea and China

It slots in below the performance-focused EV6 crossover, borrowing looks from the flagship EV9 crossover with what should be a more attainable price. During a roundtable discussion, Kia President and Co-CEO Ho-Sung Song said it’s targeted to range from about $35,000 to $50,000, but no other pricing details were immediately available.

The automaker now says it might be coming to North America, but no mention of the US directly.

"Kia is considering to export the EV5 to North America starting from 2025,” the automaker said in a statement. “There is no plan to produce the EV5 in North America."

Kia said the EV5 will come in three forms: Standard, Long Range, and Long Range AWD, with the latter packing the customary dual-motor setup. Interestingly enough, and unlike the other Kia cars on Hyundai Motor Group’s E-GMP platform, the EV5 is front-wheel-drive, a Kia America spokesperson said.

The Standard cars boast a 64-kilowatt-hour battery pack, while the Long-Range cars get an upgrade to 84 kilowatt-hours. On China’s Combined Charging and Load Cycle (CLTC) standards, the EV5 gets 530 kilometers (330 miles) of range for the Standard car; 720 kilometers (447 miles) for the Long Range front-wheel-drive car; and 650 kilometers (403 miles) for the Long Range AWD model. Kia didn’t say how that might translate to an EPA-certified electric range.

Interestingly, unlike the other cars in the E-GMP family, the EV5 will only come with a 400-volt electric architecture – not the 800-volt system those cars helped pioneer and something that’s increasingly becoming an industry standard.

1697259119982.png

Kia Concept EV4 Sedan

1697259229376.png

1697259235726.png

1697259241175.png

1697259249942.png

Unveiled at Kia’s EV Day event in Seoul this week, the EV4 Concept is one of two new vehicles seen for the very first time from the Korean automaker – the EV3 Concept was the other.

Habib said that as with Kia’s other EV offerings, space was the top priority with the EV4 Concept’s design. Going almost SUV-like in ground clearance allowed designers to maximize roominess. “It’s not a low sedan like we know them today,” he said. “We want to find a way to keep lower, sleeker vehicles in the future, not just design-wise but in terms of utility.”

Kia Concept EV3

1697259334428.png

1697259412711.png

1697259417483.png

1697259423378.png

The EV3 Concept was one of several new electric cars Kia showed off at its inaugural EV Day event in Seoul, with the others being the production version of the EV5 crossover and the new EV4 Concept sedan. But only the EV3 Concept has the ability to stow and charge what you might call an "electric micro-mobility solution."

Visually, the EV3 Concept follows the same playbook as some of its big brothers: it’s basically an EV9 or EV5 but about the size of a Kia Niro. It’s going to be a crucial part of Kia’s plans to vastly expand its EV lineup to more than 1 million global sales by 2026 and to ultimately have EVs make up almost 40 percent of its global sales by 2030. That should also make the production EV3 the smallest member of the Hyundai Motor Group’s E-GMP platform yet, though there’s no word yet on battery sizes or specs – including whether it will use the 800-volt architecture for ultra-fast charging like the EV6 and EV9 or only go with a more conventional 400-volt architecture like the EV5 will have.

By the way, if you’re curious about where this leaves the Kia Niro EV, Kia’s global product team leader Min Woo Park told me it’s not going anywhere. "We still believe there are customers who will look for more affordable EVs, like Niro. We’ll still keep our strategy [going] for that," he said.

Back