I love GT5...But it has awful Force Feedback!

• Thread starter Maximino
  • 70 comments
I love the game.
I really do.
I can forgive PD a lot of things.

BUT there's ONE thing I'm really disappointed about (as I know it will NEVER be fixed): the force feedback.
So poor. A lot worse than the DS3 rumble (why????).
I tried both G25 and Fanatec wheel, but FF really sucks with both, no matter the settings.

Is there a reason for such a poor implementation?

Last edited:
what exactly is the problem? if it's the lightness and lack of feel with the steering around the centre I can echo that. when the tire has load, I think the FF is decent, you can feel the load on the tires, some tire texture and rumble strip effect. It's not the best, I think it needs some centre spring to get rid of the lightness when the car isn't turning, however far from the worse.

@Gaiajohan: there's really nothing to setup except switching steering mode to simulation.

@Gaiajohan: there's really nothing to setup except switching steering mode to simulation.

Which doesn`t have any effect on DFGT/G25/27

I`m playing Race 07 on PC (be sure to check the demo:) and FFB is responsible for 30% of the fun from the game. It`s so much better, alive then GT5`s. Oh well, maybe someday Kaz PD will work on that...

I love the game.
I really do.

BUT there's ONE thing I'm really disappointed about (as I know it will NEVER be fixed): the force feedback.
I tried both G25 and Fanatec wheel, but FF really sucks with both, no matter the settings.

There is one thing that really helped the FF with the turbo s wheel.
You have to turn the in game FF down to under 5, and then use the FF on the wheel to determine how strong you want it.
If you turn it up over 4 in the game it seems to just wash out some of the more subtle effects.

It's still not the greatest FF ever, but it does make it alot better. Probably one of the better console games with FF after you get your adjustments setup right.

I think the FFB is really bad compared to Prologue on my G25, it's one of the reasons I found it so hard to like GT5's physics model initially. There is just not enough info coming through the wheel as regards oversteer/understeer ect as in previous games & it has taken me ages to adapt to it & be able to drive as well as I used to. Happily I have got used to it after months of racing online but still wish it was better, PD seem to be going backwards in so many areas with GT5 & forward in so few.

:grumpy:

I love the game.
I really do.

Why do people talk ****?!

its notttt good
every time i try rally i cry a little bit i know my g27 is suffering..
its too bad i cant even win rally on dirt with wheel i have to use controller

I already have FF strenght at 3, and tried all the ingame and wheel settings (so much time...).
I also had for 2 weeks both the G25 and the Fanatec wheel, so I did a proper comparison (so, no, it's not good on G25 and rubbish on PWTS).
FF is very basic and emotionless.
BUT I heard from my imaginary friend it will be fixed in next patch. :dopey:

I dont know how anyone can say the FF is good in this game. Its terrrible. So much more could have been done.

THe feeling of the wheel almost has NOTHING to do with the road surface. Its like they just send random data down the USB cable

Even in the logitech PC DFGT drivers there was this setting called centering spring strength or something. If the enabled something similar in GT5 it would help immenlsly

It would also stop those stupid wobbles driving in a straight line. Contrary to popular beleif about there not being opposing forces in a FF sim steering wheel compared to the wheels of a real car IT CAN BE DONE so that things dont wobble.

After I tried my DFGT and played around with the settings on my PC I was blown away by how much flexibility it has. They just didnt make ue of it in GT5.

Can someone answe me, is it really that hard to make the steering wheel follow what the wheels are doing? I mean they have this great physics and tyre model, so why dont I feel the elevations and tracks in the road pulling my wheel like in a real car. Every road surface is driving driving on ice with random jitter effects thrown in.

Even in the Rally stages, you have this random tough steering feel, and when you break the traction you just get this stupid and crude feeling of lightness. Thats it. There is no in between....wow advanced stuff there...

I already have FF strenght at 3, and tried all the ingame and wheel settings (so much time...).
I also had for 2 weeks both the G25 and the Fanatec wheel, so I did a proper comparison (so, no, it's not good on G25 and rubbish on PWTS).
FF is very basic and emotionless.
BUT I heard from my imaginary friend it will be fixed in next patch. :dopey:

Dont bother trying to fix it with settings I've tried them all Its just universally ****. Whether it its on a DFGT or G27 as well..

DFGT user here, well, I should say 'former user'.
FF on GT5p was perfectly fine from what I remember, but using it on GT5, theres nothing to let the driver know what is really happening with the car. One still has to use visual cues as to figure out what the car is doing.
I drive with no assists bar ABS - 1, simulation steering, etc. FF strength set to 10.
Even though I can drive faster with the wheel, I find the game much more fun using a SixAxis of all controllers. And the only feedback from that is the centering spring on the sticks!
There are many games out there that do a much better job of FF than GT5 does.

Last edited:
I like FFB of the game when playing with Turbo S wheel. Of course i had to adjust settings both on the wheel and ingame to suit road racing, rally and drifting. (settings can switched on fly with turbo S wheel)
But there is still a lot of room for improvement.

ps: and you can adjust center spring with fanatec wheels but i do not use it

theres nothing to let the driver know what is really happening with the car. One still has to use visual cues as to figure out what the car is doing.
Maybe that's why I feel so connected to the car, racing from roof cam. :sly:

There are many games out there that do a much better job of FF than GT5 does.
I own the GTRs, rFactor and Live For Speed, and frankly am not amazed at the FFB in those games. Forza isn't any better, it's just different. I don't know why you guys are having so much trouble, unless you're drifting or something, which I don't care about.

I've got no experience playing any other games with a FF wheel so I can't really say if it's good or bad, but I agree with xSNAKEx when he talks about the poor FF in the rally stages. It does feel when you slide the wheel just goes completely limp, there's no feedback at all and surely that's not representative of what it would be like?

The good thing is that there is no reason why PD cannot implement better FF code in the game, there's nothing limiting them from improving it if it really is that far off what it should be, so there's hope. I'm not playing at all at the minute, kinda frustrated at the grinding but also it's just not practical playing with my wheel atm, getting it set-up in a new room where I won't be pestering my gf when I want to play, hopefully by then there'll be lots of tasty updates!

FFB in itself is unrealistic, for it to have FFB like other games is actually less realistic than a real car, the game is focused mainly around road cars, that have power steering, the wheel is almost completely dead in a real car.

But sure i prefer FFB in other games, realistic has nothing to do with it though.

Edit : It goes limp when you slide as it is trying to give you the sensation of losing grip, that is what its meant to do, sillies.

FFB in itself is unrealistic, for it to have FFB like other games is actually less realistic than a real car, the game is focused mainly around road cars, that have power steering, the wheel is almost completely dead in a real car.

But sure i prefer FFB in other games, realistic has nothing to do with it though.

Edit : It goes limp when you slide as it is trying to give you the sensation of losing grip, that is what its meant to do, sillies.

I completely understand what you mean for "realistic" (I was suggested to change the thread title, but I reverted it back as I agree with you).
But the force feedback should give us some USEFUL feeback of what's happening in the game.
IMHO GT5 simply doesn't do that.

I can't tell from the wheel if i'm loosing grip. I can't feel road change of height. I can't generally feel the road or the car. That's not good at all for such a nice simulation.
The bad thing is: I can tell all these things using the pad (in a different way, of course).

The good thing is that there is no reason why PD cannot implement better FF code in the game, there's nothing limiting them from improving it if it really is that far off what it should be, so there's hope.
Always.
But has anyone ever adressed the problem to them?

I like FFB of the game when playing with Turbo S wheel. Of course i had to adjust settings both on the wheel and ingame to suit road racing, rally and drifting. (settings can switched on fly with turbo S wheel)
But there is still a lot of room for improvement.
What settings are you using?
After endless tests I choosed to keep drift at 3 (at least the wheel does some job)

And what is that all its meant to do? Just go limp when you slide? Wow did we travel in time to the year 3000?

Explain to me why the force feedback doesn't follow the grooves of the road, like in a real car, when the wheels are forced to move by the road surface?

It happens to me many times in real life, especially on sportier cars with stiffer tyre sidewalls. Minor road changes and elevations grooves et can literally thrown your car around. In Gt5 it just doesn't happen, at all.

Why doesn't the wheel straighten out properly and lock with the road when supposed to and be free when its not?

In gt5 nothing feels properly connected to the road. It feels like your driving on king kongs snot, sprinkled with flour.
Sure there are limitations in the hardware, but the hardware isn't being utilized to its full potential.

Turning the force feedback up just makes things worse and harder to turn.... The steering wheel on cars with power steering is meant to be light normally, and they should make it have resitance toward a particular direction and ONLY in that particular direction when the wheels are forced by the environment to move. In Gt5 it seems when it turns the FFB up it does it just for everything.

And Dammit, why do the options even give you a setting called power assisted steering?
Just make it so cars that have power steering in the game, have it, and cars that don't, don't. If people want power steering on their 60s ferraris they can make it a steering upgrade part. 1000cr power steering motor. BAM. Is it really that hard?

I don't know why PD do so many things to unnecessarily distance themselves from realism when it can so easily be implemented properly. They done the same with ABS TCS active steer etc.

And they still refuse to give us Brake deadzones even though the brakes are hideously sensitive

This is my current views on FFB in GT5
:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Maybe that's why I feel so connected to the car, racing from roof cam...

I own the GTRs, rFactor and Live For Speed, and frankly am not amazed at the FFB in those games. Forza isn't any better, it's just different. I don't know why you guys are having so much trouble, unless you're drifting or something, which I don't care about.

I've driven in "bumper" cam since GT1, so I get most of my information about the cars movements from how the road ahead is projected, and the rest from the tyre squeal noises and engine rev changes. This in itself is basically enough to keep the car composed within limits (not a drift fan either) and makes driving with a rumble-less controller possible.

I have not driven the other games you have listed, but I have played along with Ferrari Challenge, and the original TDU, among others. Ferrari Challenge feels different than most other driving games, but once one is used to it, the feedback effects feel logical. TDU (in Hardcore mode at least) aside from the funny physics, driving the cars feels quite natural.
In real life, if the back end steps out (forced or otherwise), the front wheels, and by extension, power steering or not, the steering wheel, turn themselves into the slide thanks to things like caster and the tyres remaining stuck to the road within their grip limits. Games like Ferrari Challenge and TDU both manage to get this simple fact of real driving translated into a game format.

Also, in real life again, if you have ever driven your daily driver (which would typically be on standard road tyres) on soft compound semi-slick tyres, you would know that the steering instantly feels much more solid and resistant to movement, almost like the power steering had been removed. Then theres the extra "tramlining" effect, which almost makes it feel like the power steering is working against where you want it to go.
Games like FC and TDU dont have the option to change tyre types or compounds, therefore no definitive comparison can be made between tyre types, but Gran Turismo has thought about taking this challenge on board. Despite the seemingly simplified tyre modelling, they also seem to have forgotten or ignored the facts of those points I just made.

Currently, the only thing keeping the GT5 disc in my PS3 is the fact that there are still a bunch of cars I'd like to have in my collection.

I love the game.
I really do.

The FFB implementation in GT5 while not perfect is very good. It's not going to please those who want a more arcade and immersive feel to their games. For that you need to look into games like SHIFT, Forza or GTR2 on the PC. What PD has done is a natural progression or an evolution from previous GT games.

I use a G25

Force feeback is OK in my opinion; just muted for some cars; a handful in rally or with the X2010 or the Ferrari F1 car; even the painted lines on Tokyo R256 shake the F1 steering!

I use a DFGT and I think the force feedback is good. To drive on dirt in low speeds or to drive the X2010 at high speeds can be really annoying, but apart from that I have no problems with it. The physics has changed a bit scince GT5P, maybe that's why you think the FF is wrong?

The FFB implementation in GT5 while not perfect is very good. It's not going to please those who want a more arcade and immersive feel to their games. For that you need to look into games like SHIFT, Forza or GTR2 on the PC. What PD has done is a natural progression or an evolution from previous GT games.
That sir is just a fanboish opinion.
Forza serie is GT serie on the the Xbox, and not arcadey at all.
On PC you can find MANY games with correct FF implementation (do you really think GTR2 is an arcade???????????????????????????????)

FF in GT5 is just lacking, not wrong.
Nobody will die admitting it.

Last edited:
Back