I think this will be the best GT ever

• Thread starter TRD-P0WeR
  • 66 comments
Last edited:
There is only one huge problem with GT7, you have to buy a new console to play the game!!! So shell out $400-500 for a PS5 and then another $60 for GT7?? Holy crap!! I'll play ACC that comes out tomorrow for PS4 for another year.

You do realize that's not exclusive to GT7 right? There was literally a presentation featuring multiple games, all of which only can be played if you buy the PS5.

You can't buy the games any more, only rent them until online play closes down again. I've not bought anything past GT5 for this reason. Happy to play older titles at home and buy/win as many of each car

Err, Gran Turismo 6 can still be played offline. There is a ton of games that don't need online to be played AND they come on Discs so you can still BUY games. Feel like this concern is abit blown out of proportion when it's simply an option and not the ONLY way to play.

Last edited:
I don't agree that this is the last GT. But it could be the only one we are getting for the PS5. I'm imagining they will implement seasonal model like in Destiny 2. They will be just updating the game, and selling us some of the new content.

I don't agree that this is the last GT. But it could be the only one we are getting for the PS5. I'm imagining they will implement seasonal model like in Destiny 2. They will be just updating the game, and selling us some of the new content.

If they give you a value for your money it's then it’s money well spent.

Seeing all the cool features from the original games being resurrected and as the number seven corresponds to heavenly, I think we'll see the best GT title so far. I think it will also be the last GT there will ever be. I really hope they'll make it to the launch. What are your thoughts?

The best GT ever...I remember Poly D saying that about GT5 and 6...and look how that turned out sound wise

They turned out to be what?...
Better versions than their predecessors.

That's sort of interesting if you look at the bigger picture rather than just sound. When you look at the final upgraded versions of the games, sure, they're better than what came before. But GT5 had major issues at launch and lacked a lot of the stuff that would ultimately make it amazing. GT6 at launch was missing huge amounts of content and features to the point that GT5 Spec 2 was arguably the better game at the time. And depending on what you wanted out of a GT game, GTS was a downgrade for some over GT6 just due to the lack of content and single player.

I'd say that GT4 was the last mainline game that was an unqualified upgrade over it's predecessor at release. GT7 looks like it should be absolutely the best version of Gran Turismo produced to date, but it's by no means a sure thing.

If the number of cars is right, if we got all the legendary circuit and a proper long and tricky Career A-Spec mode yes it can be the best GT

That's what I used to think about GT5 and everyone knows how that turned out...

The trailer looked pretty decent though, especially the GT4-esque main screen. It's best not to get hyped however. I learned my lesson ten years ago.

That's what I used to think about GT5 and everyone knows how that turned out...

The trailer looked pretty decent though, especially the GT4-esque main screen. It's best not to get hyped however. I learned my lesson ten years ago.
For PS3 era like GT5 the problem is already known though. Its complex architecture hinders PD greatly. https://www.gtplanet.net/the-ps3-era-was-a-nightmare-for-polyphony-digital-says-kazunori/ I wonder how will GT5 (and probably GT6) turn out if PD's work with PS3 still goes as smoothly as the PS1/PS2 era though.

I think it's more fair to assume this one as such, because there aren't known issues yet with PS5 unlike GT5's (and judging from PS4's success before, likely won't).

Last edited:
For PS3 era like GT5 the problem is already known though. Its complex architecture hinders PD greatly. https://www.gtplanet.net/the-ps3-era-was-a-nightmare-for-polyphony-digital-says-kazunori/ I wonder how will GT5 (and probably GT6) turn out if PD's work with PS3 still goes as smoothly as the PS1/PS2 era.

I think it's more fair to assume this one as such, because there aren't known issues yet with PS5 unlike GT5's (and judging from PS4 before, likely won't).

It was never a great excuse though, plenty of devs managed to create some amazing games on PS3 hardware, and long before PD finally got GT5 out.

Their problem, as usual, was poor use of limited staff. They decided they wanted to create ultra detailed cars that they thought would be future proof (and it turned out they weren't), instead of just going for a middle ground between quality and quantity. On top of that, they decided they would all be done in house, no outsourcing, the sensible decision. They decided they wanted to include everything, NASCAR, Rally, without the manpower to get it all done. They decided they wanted to push 1080p resolution where everywhere else knew 720p was the sensible target. I could go on.

Last edited:
For PS3 era like GT5 the problem is already known though. Its complex architecture hinders PD greatly.

I'm aware of the issues about the PS3's hardware architecture and PD is by far not the only developer who spoke out on it. However, we're talking about a first party Sony developer here and they should've had the resources to do a better job. Had they decided to focus on the core gameplay elements and to do a few things excellently rather than a lot of things averagely, the game package as a whole would've been a lot better. When I recently fired up GT5 again after all these years the first thing I noticed were some blocky shadows and terrible looking standard models. No excuse is good enough to make up for that and I am baffled they were even able to pass that off as a finished product.

There is only one huge problem with GT7, you have to buy a new console to play the game!!! So shell out $400-500 for a PS5 and then another $60 for GT7?? Holy crap!! I'll play ACC that comes out tomorrow for PS4 for another year.
Last time they put GT6 on the PS3 instead of PS4 and everybody complained.

This time they put it on the PS5 instead of the PS4 and everybody complains.

This fan base is darn near impossible to please lol.

I'm aware of the issues about the PS3's hardware architecture and PD is by far not the only developer who spoke out on it. However, we're talking about a first party Sony developer here and they should've had the resources to do a better job. Had they decided to focus on the core gameplay elements and to do a few things excellently rather than a lot of things averagely, the game package as a whole would've been a lot better. When I recently fired up GT5 again after all these years the first thing I noticed were some blocky shadows and terrible looking standard models. No excuse is good enough to make up for that and I am baffled they were even able to pass that off as a finished product.
They are too ambitious yeah the console isn't the only thing to blame but I think if the consoles suit them better they probably could've accomplished more things, like actually do a lot of things excellently (or closer to that than averagely), no need few things (though I never agree with "remove this remove that" as something people think will improve, if something isn't disastrous I'd choose to keep it even if focusing on other things). They kept standard cars as bonus (didn't work on them) but if the console suits it could be that they produced more actual PS3 cars (instead of only 200-ish). I mean even if the staff is not handled well at that era, handling it as well as you suggest would still produce a held back GT from their actual ambitions as it revolves around the console's issue, even if that'll probably be better than GT5/GT6.

Last edited:
Last time they put GT6 on the PS3 instead of PS4 and everybody complained.

This time they put it on the PS5 instead of the PS4 and everybody complains.

This fan base is darn near impossible to please lol.

It's almost like it's a group of individuals each with their own preferences and opinions. But that can't be right, everyone knows that Gran Turismo fans are a hive mind that are only kept from taking over the world by the tireless efforts of the CRAB PEOPLE.

I wouldn't disagree. If I was going to go back and play one of GT5 or GT6 today it would definitely be GT5.
Definitely agree with this. I’ve always loved car collecting in the GT games, and the silly stockyard in GT6 ruined that experience for me. Found the A - Spec events better in GT5 too, as well as the special events, license tests, SHUFFLE RACING & we had the Used Car Dealership. I know we got PS2 model cars in the USD but it was still fun to collect them.
To this day I still play GT5, while GT6 is left gathering dust. GT6 just seemed boring, it’s home screen was generic, career mode looks like it was just thrown together, no used car dealership, the damned stockyard... Like don’t get me wrong it had a lots of improvements like physics wise, more cars, more premium & semi premium, more tracks, faster loading times & better graphics in certain areas but GT5 was more memorable, and nostalgic for me. Also more fun. You can still even use the track creator in GT5 which is another feature which I used loads.

Just my opinion, each to our own but I definitely agree with you. :)

Last edited:
Definitely agree with this. I’ve always loved car collecting in the GT games, and the silly stockyard in GT6 ruined that experience for me. Found the A - Spec events better in GT5 too, as well as the special events, license tests, SHUFFLE RACING & we had the Used Car Dealership. I know we got PS2 model cars in the USD but it was still fun to collect them.
To this day I still play GT5, while GT6 is left gathering dust. GT6 just seemed boring, it’s home screen was generic, career mode looks like it was just thrown together, no used car dealership, the damned stockyard... Like don’t get me wrong it had a lots of improvements like physics wise, more cars, more premium & semi premium, more tracks, faster loading times & better graphics in certain areas but GT5 was more memorable, and nostalgic for me. Also more fun. You can still even use the track creator in GT5 which is another feature which I used loads.

Just my opinion, each to our own but I definitely agree with you. :)
I play GT5 & GT6 and when I play GT5, I always seem to go back and play GT6 a lot more than GT5. I think why I play GT6 more is because GT5 has not got that edge that 6 has got in the game, but both games have got there good & bad points and GT5 has got a couple of bad points and that why I play GT6 more.

Last edited:
The best GT ever...I remember Poly D saying that about GT5 and 6...and look how that turned out sound wise

Of course they would say their next game is the best, whether it is or not. It would be ridiculous to make a sequel and say 'The original game was better!' to advertise the sequel. Doesn't quite sell it, does it?

In terms of the fundamentals. Graphics, performance, physics, online, UI, QC etc. GTS is the best GT to date.

In terms of an overall, compelling, product. I’d say GT4 was the best GT. As stated, GT5/GT6 where overly ambitious, with many areas undercooked.

We can all go back two generations, a full decade in fact, and discuss the hardware & management challenges of the PS3 era. But it doesn’t tell us much about PD and PS5 today.

We have to acknowledge PD made a marked shift with the development of GTS. Not just the online focus. But a clear line in the sand to discard old assets and start again. All with a view towards both PS4 & PS5.

It’s one of the curiosities of these discussions. People call PD ‘lazy’ for pumping previous GT’s with outdated content. Then slam the team when they take a more considered, forward looking, approach, to build on the excellent basis, that is GTS.

It's almost like it's a group of individuals each with their own preferences and opinions. But that can't be right, everyone knows that Gran Turismo fans are a hive mind that are only kept from taking over the world by the tireless efforts of the CRAB PEOPLE.
People can have their own opinions and preferences, but when it’s stuff like this which clearly has pros and cons (versus blatant failures like the sounds, lack of livery editor, etc of previous games) I don’t see why people spend so much time getting so upset when it’s clear why PD is making the choice they are.

Regarding the system where is coming to, PD can make wonders now.
Will they and in how many time (spec's), we don't know.
It's hard to say the best if it has poor launch and great two years later quality...
Looking that way, GT5 is somewhere there, around GT throne.

For me it can hardly become the best just bcs my age now and when I was playing GT2... I'm just don't have that special "warm" feeling anymore while playing games.
It is subjective, but it's reality.

People can have their own opinions and preferences, but when it’s stuff like this which clearly has pros and cons (versus blatant failures like the sounds, lack of livery editor, etc of previous games) I don’t see why people spend so much time getting so upset when it’s clear why PD is making the choice they are.

You missed the point. You claimed that everyone complained about GT6 on PS3. You claimed that everyone is complaining about GT7 on PS5. That's just not true.

If you want to have a more nuanced approach, a lot of people complained about GT6 on PS3. I think the reasons for that were pretty justifiable at the time, and even more so in retrospect of what GT6 turned out to be. We can have that discussion if you want, but that opinion was by no means a consensus and even the people who thought it was a bad idea (like me) could usually see at least the potential of the choice made. We were wary given the previous clusterfridge that was the release of GT5 and the length of time that it took to turn that into something like a polished final product, and it turned out rightly so.

Some people seem to be complaining about GT7 on PS5, but it seems like a loud minority to me. Most people seem fairly keen on the idea, because most people aren't adverse to the idea of having to buy new hardware every 7 years or so. I think the reasons for having GT7 on PS5 are much the same as for having GT6 on PS4, but with the addition that Polyphony can't necessarily rely on goodwill to shift units. I suspect that GT6 sold a lot on brand name alone, and that bit them in the butt come GTS when a lot of people felt burned. GTS seems to have done all right for itself and has gone a long way to rebuilding some of that hype, but if they release on old hardware that's going to go largely to waste.

If you're going to generalise you could at least realise that it's never everyone, it's at best a majority. And while the groups that complained about GT6 and GT7 may have some overlap, they're probably not all the same people either and so treating them as if they are is just disingenuous. It's easy to beat strawmen when they don't fight back.

Latest Posts

Back