I want GT5 AI back

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoshDevil
  • 70 comments
  • 6,201 views
GT6 AI is way way better.
In GT5 as soon as you overtook any car, the overtaken car would drop back as if its driver had just fallen unconscious. In GT6, if you've got the difficulty at the right level (by appropriately underpowering your car), you can have little battles, overtake, be overtaken, re-overtake etc.
And you can even see the ai overtake each other.
 
GT6 AI is way way better.
In GT5 as soon as you overtook any car, the overtaken car would drop back as if its driver had just fallen unconscious. In GT6, if you've got the difficulty at the right level (by appropriately underpowering your car), you can have little battles, overtake, be overtaken, re-overtake etc.
And you can even see the ai overtake each other.

This, and I like also the fact that the AI in GT6 adapts to your speed. I had very nice fights at the 15 minutes race at Apricot yesterday, the McLaren was aggressive as crazy for the last two laps when I catched it, it overtook me several times, this never happened in GT5. There is still some problems, but it is definitely MUCH better (at least, much more entertaining)
 
I just finished the Red Bull Kart Championship, and I noticed that while racing on Eiger the lead Kart kept moving left or right so that I couldn't draft him at all. I had to late brake a couple of turns just to win the race. They are aware of you.
 
@ Fred_La_Poignee,
totally agree: "still some problems, but much more entertaining"
 
There is nothing wrong with AI except they brake too early and this stupid rubber band. If they knock your off it's probably your own fault. In that video the driver makes unrealistic moves all the time. Nobody drives like that in real life. There would be bodies everywhere.

At first AI banged my ass pretty often but then I learned to keep my own line and avoided riskful situations.

Someone else is driving like a 12-year old...

I could be in first driving down a straight away, and get spun cause the hit the back of my car, that is not my fault, this has happened a lot and I wasnt slowing down when it happened
 
Last edited:
I don't want them back.

Yes, they will rap on your back door if you slow down too much for turns, they also did in GT5.

I do like the added spice of the Pit Maneuvers the AI pull, seem to have more character now. :sly:
 
Last edited:
I like most on here use low grip tyres as much as possible but this AI makes it almost impossible.
They have an annoying habit of just turning into you as you go around corners when running along side them. Result spin off most times as you are already at the limit of your grip.

GT4 AI was for me the best I can remember however that was with just 5 other cars on the track. With an extra 11 to 15 maybe it pushes the PS3 too much.
 
The new AI is okay until you are rammed off the road in the chicane at Bathurst when leading on the last lap. To be fair they should also end up off the road in the sand trap instead of winning......makes you become frustrated.....:banghead:🤬
 
Please give us GT5's AI Please. They drove slow but at least they slowed down in a corner if you were in front of them. I can't count how many times Ive been spun out or nudged off the track during a straight away cause of the AI in GT6. X2014 third race, did it 3 times spun out of the first turn twice on the final lap, third attempt I was spun out during a straight cause he decided to slightly turn right and knock me off the track and because of unmoveable object physics he kept going like nothing had just happen where in reality we would have both crashed. I love driving by myself in time trials and online and I'll continue to support GT but god damn the AI is stupid. / This thread was meant to ask to have GT5's AI back. but it turn into more of a rant, sorry.
Noooooooooo!

GT6 AI maybe a bit annoying but they are far better than the slow procession of OAP Sunday drivers from GT5!
 
GT6 AI is way way better.
In GT5 as soon as you overtook any car, the overtaken car would drop back as if its driver had just fallen unconscious. In GT6, if you've got the difficulty at the right level (by appropriately underpowering your car), you can have little battles, overtake, be overtaken, re-overtake etc.
And you can even see the ai overtake each other.

Exactly this. I think the AI is actually not bad in GT6, just the comedy single-file spaced-out rolling starts make it seem worse. When you get cars bunching up together, they do seem to have little battles and overtake each other. Plus, with the way the cars are spaced out, this probably contributes to the rubber-band effect (i.e. the first cars start so far ahead they need to ease off to let you catch up).
 
Exactly this. I think the AI is actually not bad in GT6, just the comedy single-file spaced-out rolling starts make it seem worse. When you get cars bunching up together, they do seem to have little battles and overtake each other. Plus, with the way the cars are spaced out, this probably contributes to the rubber-band effect (i.e. the first cars start so far ahead they need to ease off to let you catch up).
Which is stupid and unrealistic.
 
GT5 had rubberbanding too. Have found that AI is poor in both GT5 and 6.
 
Which is stupid and unrealistic.

Exactly. That's the thing that is so annoying - if they implemented these silly starts, and then had to fix them with ridiculous rubber banding, does that not indicate to the developers that the single-file start system is flawed? It's like putting a plaster on bullet wound - it doesn't get to the root of the problem.
 
Exactly. That's the thing that is so annoying - if they implemented these silly starts, and then had to fix them with ridiculous rubber banding, does that not indicate to the developers that the single-file start system is flawed? It's like putting a plaster on bullet wound - it doesn't get to the root of the problem.
Expecially when races last no longer than 5 laps. I feel your pain guys.
 
I think the problem is that GT6 AI has very little spacial awareness. If you are literally side by side coming into a corner with GT6 AI then they probably won't turn into you. But if you have the advantage but you aren't completely ahead then they will turn into you and spin you out. The same thing happens when you are approaching AI quickly, and they still cut you off.
 
I want the AI to compete with me without the PIT maneuvers. You can race somebody without taking them out. I'm not so sure intentional side pressure to the rear of a car can be considered "racing". More like combat fighting. Racing is when you try to drive faster than the other guy.

It's pretty obvious when a car hits you from the back because you got in their way and they didn't brake soon enough. Your car goes forward. Whey you get pushed in the rear of the car by a sideways motion is also pretty obvious. Your car spins if you don't steer in the same direction as you are being pushed.

So yes to fast AI. No to combat. No to GT5 AI.
 
Last edited:
Are you kidding? I went and did this weeks seasonals from GT5 last night, I didn't realize how bad it was until now. Sure, there is plenty to complain about 6's AI, but I will take it any day over 5's.
 
I have a much simpler explanation for AI behavior. Their collision detection is off by a small amount. So, at close range, they simply are not aware of you and just drive through their line, causing the PIT maneuver.

At a certain range, they are aware of you and they put on breaks to slow down. This usually happens on the most inopportune times like trying to take inside or outside line in a corner and you end up ramming straight on to them and losing your speed or hitting them at an angle and spinning out.

Their control algorithm is too quick and makes instantaneous corrections to external disturbances. So, they seem like they rarely spin out. Since AI doesn't drive at the limit of grip, they also have a good safety margin to recover.

I don't really believe (read: has not seen evidence) that they aggressively punt you whether you are aggressive or not. Such behaviors are insanely hard to program and you get much better results with simpler techniques.

Rubber banding is the cool-down behavior that was seen in GT5 B-spec. They are fast at the beginning and when they get ahead, they cool down and slows considerably. If you blow by them and get away, they don't have time to get excited and continue at their slow pace. However, if you hang around them for too long, they get heated up and start driving fast.

PS: I do research in AI (as my PSN nic says :) ).
 
Have you finished career? The PIT maneuvers get worse as you go.

I've gotten to S-class. But backtracked to complete the previous classes. Now doing Ib. Hardest so far was the GTR one make where the AI was constantly at my heel. Still I felt that it was just racing its line with a faster car. It would try to avoid me only a little and ends up doing a PIT. When I pass it with letting it run on its line, it tends to slow down. If I'm too close, it tries to keep its line and drive through me.
 
Lat night while I was making my way through IB, I noticed that in some races the AI was rather "tame" but if I used a car that more than 50PP from the limit. The AI was a little more aggressive when I was closer to the PP limit of the race.
 
I'm only up to International B so far.

Question: Do races get harder later in the career? Is it necessary to go to the max allowed pp?
 
OMG, GT5's AI? GOD No, no, no....
 
Back