If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
People finding custom liveries appalling I can understand.
Seeing stock colour cars on a race track is unatural IMHO.

People finding custom liveries appalling I can understand.
Seeing stock colour cars on a race track is unatural IMHO.

👍

As for strange liveries that have "no place on a racing track"... I've brought those up before...

wiilo.jpg
340x_tradinpaint.jpg
500x_10kentb0045.jpg

Its always a matter of opinion; but there is one consequent truth: Its always better to leave the option to the client. Have a server setting that says "i don't want to download other people's liveries". So there, leave the people who WANT liveries to enjoy them. For anyone who doesn't like them, fine, just don't download them locally and be all happy with your stock car looks.

Is that too much to ask?
Edit: What Analog said above, hadn't read his post before. Cheers mate!

Last edited:
Japanese tuning cars (such as the Nissan 350Z). I would like to personalise them, NFS style. If would be great if you caould do that in GT5

Having played Forza 3 online a few times, I have to agree that there are some awful liveries out there, but would I ever let anybody elses design affect me or my racing? Absolutely not, seems ridiculous that you would let such a thing get to you.

Livery editor=freedom editor.

Will add hours upon hours to a game which will already reach months and months of gameplay. Scratch that; years and years.

Livery editor=freedom editor.

Will add hours upon hours to a game which will already reach months and months of gameplay. Scratch that; years and years.

👍

Remember the moaning when Photo Mode was first mentioned for GT4? Heck, I might've even been one of them. Then the game came out and we all realized how easy it made sharing with our friends. And now it's basically a standard mode in driving games.

Not to mention, years later, people are still fiddling with it, and some definitely introduce an artistic slant to it you wouldn't have originally expected. I myself probably didn't really race in GT4 for the last year or two I played it; I'd only ever be playing against other cars if I thought it'd make an interesting photo op.

GT, the series, needs to take a hint from LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers, and follow this "Play, Create, Share" mantra. It opens up endless opportunities for keeping the game alive. The biggest criticism leveled at it, that it isn't good for business since players won't feel a need to buy the next installment, isn't very sound either; look at the huge amount of hype for LBP2. Give people a game they love, that never gets old, and they'll still want the next one. But you're creating a lot of goodwill (not to mention, technically getting extra employees for free).

The Track Creator is heading in the right direction, even though it's little more than a random generator that we don't actually have any serious control over. A livery editor (and additionally, a FM3-style storefront to sell these liveries) can really crack open GT and expand the community. I see far more good that could come out of it than bad, and it even can help Polyphony; the super-talented people would definitely stand out.

Customisation will do the same as going into a dream within a dream in the Inception universe - multiply the time you spend in the game by a huge amount.

Real life racing liveries are usually about recognizable color patterns/groups(team colors) and sponsor decal visibility.
To me, your "paint jobs" aren't even that bad, but the wheels and what you do to them, that is just sacrilege.
Plus, why fill an entire page with your designs and not be ready for the feedback? It comes with the territory.

Really? Look at these from the above posted comment...
wiilo.jpg
340x_tradinpaint.jpg
500x_10kentb0045.jpg

And not so many people are fans of the GT40's blue & orang, or the 787b's green and orange color schemes. Although I love the cars, it would be cool to paint them black & silver, or black & blue, with silver accents.

The rims may be sacrilege to you, but they're cool and complete the look of my cars to me. Again, we don't all have to like the same things, but having options for everyone's likings should be included. I mean, what if Kaz only did Super cars and left out all the classics? Some people could care less about any car released before the 90's or any car under 500bhp. All they want are the super cars i.e. Zonda's, Lamborghini's, & Ferrari's. What if he left out NASCAR? You may not care, but alot of people would... The same goes for WRC, GT class, and newly included Karts. So the same should be said of vinyls/liveries!!! Many people will make use of it, some will not.

Even if you hated the technical & complexed liveries, you could still make a quick and simple one, or vice versa. Maybe you have a black car and you want chrome door door handles. You can do that. Maybe you just want red around the grill of your skyline like the GTI, you could do that too... Maybe on your real life car you have a blue ribbon sticker on your bumper, you could recreate it on your car. Maybe you like flames, or what ever, if you wanted the choice would be yours... It's the same freedom you have in bringing a Kart or NASCAR car on the Nurburgring, A WRC to a NASCAR race, Bringing an XJ220 to a rally, and racing a kart against a Vitz on a drag strip. Sure it may be silly to do, but why not have fun & live a little?

Me, I'm a trickster, in real life I bike hard & drive hard. I like drifting and I have my own style in clothing and way of doing thing. I follow my own standard. Thus, my reasons for wanting to "be myself" in GT5. Some of you will think "If you want to be all artistic or w/e on your cars, there are are other games for that" but I say "B-S" because if there is one thing we all agree on, it's that GT5 is "the truth" (Go ahead and make yourself look like a prude and say "no, real life is the truth!" friggin' turds... you know what I mean by this...) and no other racing game compares. Therefore making it the best platform for such a feature in a game. If there is any game that would make vinyl editing amazing, it has to be Gran Turismo. Anything else would be uncivilized.

And to your last question, I was and am ready for all feedback. My response is my way of dealing with it. Am I supposed to clam up and be a bitch because you all don't like my ****? Yeh, right... I'd love to discuss this in person with any of you critics to see how far this got. Anyone against vinyls is most likely fashion illiterate, against looking good, mundane, devoid of individualism, and most likely "not" the life of the party. "Oh no! artistic nature in a GT game? how will I fit in?!?". I respect more the people who have no use for liveries, but respect the desires of those who do. But to flat out hate it because it will lead to things "not of your standard"? Like really? Who made you God? Unless your name is Kazunori Yamauchi shut the #$&^ up and find another board to bitch & moan about while you work on your goal in life of being a dictator, oppression, and simply making the lives of those around you miserable. You probably think you're above others in society, and a better race of human.

Last edited:
All I can say after reading your post is I'm glad that my personal theory about enlightened absolutism being best way to govern the society is still valid.

:)

It's about the preservation of creativity.

Sure, you don't like Spongebob, but it may have a significance to someone else.

Sure, you may despise the Red Sox, but it may have a special meaning to a person in Boston.

I am for that. I am for letting people express themselves no matter what I like/dislike.

And that makes me happy at the end of the day. I love seeing unique designs and knowing that YOU, sir, reading this post, have the ability to create what means most to you. I love it.

As far as body parts, curses, hate symbols, etc. I am not in favor and that should be monitored.

Paragraphs man.

Edit sorry I was talking about some guys wall of text.

On topic. Anyone who is seriously offended by created liveries will probably have to skip online in GT6.

All I can say after reading your post is I'm glad that my personal theory about enlightened absolutism being best way to govern the society is still valid.

Agreed.

SZRT Ice, what in Pete's sake are you on about?

Was it really that difficult for you to understand? :scared: :dunce: :confused:

It's about the preservation of creativity.

Sure, you don't like Spongebob, but it may have a significance to someone else.

Sure, you may despise the Red Sox, but it may have a special meaning to a person in Boston.

I am for that. I am for letting people express themselves no matter what I like/dislike.

And that makes me happy at the end of the day. I love seeing unique designs and knowing that YOU, sir, reading this post, have the ability to create what means most to you. I love it.

As far as body parts, curses, hate symbols, etc. I am not in favor and that should be monitored.

I agree completely!

Paragraphs man.

Sorry about that... I'm new to forum posting here. ::fixed::

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to discuss this in person with any of you critics to see how far this got.

I see the cars and how exactly do they disprove what I said? Did I not say sponsor logo visibility? The cars are pretty much billboards with wheels, tasteful wheels.
It's obvious you're not fully "there" otherwise this whole macho-behind-the-monitor routine would've hit your inner censor and it would've warned you how dumb you're about to sound.
If you read my post you'd have noticed I never said I'm against a livery editor, in fact it's the 2nd most thing I was looking forward to. All I did was say that I didn't like you're choice of wheel paint at which point you seemed to have lost all ability to act civilized. As for dealing with negative feedback, calling people whiny ******* and mouthing off with empty personal threats, sure isn't a healthy way to do it.

...what designs are you looking forward to making? :sly:

Just thought this'd be a cool idea for a thread, while we're dawdling around waiting for GT5 👍

BMW M5: Nordschleife Ring Taxi:

bmw_ring_taxi.jpg

British Racing Green and a yellow stripe... classic Lotus racing colours, probably on an Elise or Exige 👍

jim-clark-lotus49.jpg

Gulf DBR9:

dbr9frt.jpg

Colin's Focus (RIP, you legend)

colin-focuswrc-jump.jpg

And also his yellow "No Fear" X Games Impreza, Travis Pastrana's #199 Impreza, and Ken Block's "Monster Energy" Impreza 👍

What liveries are you making, if indeed GT5 does have a livery editor? :dopey:

uhhhhhhh... How about a CuteSpeed Racing VW Bug?
Maybe a GTPlanet NASCAR racer?

I'd try not to waste my time modding my cars' styling though. I'd rather spend time modding the performance.

To quote multiple people, press the quote button, copy it. Go back to your original post (hit edit) and paste it there! :).

I agree completely!

Sorry about that... I'm new to forum posting here.

You got to learn sometime. :)

Glad you agreed.

Last edited:
To quote multiple people. Press the quote button, copy it. Go back to your original post and paste it there :).

You got to learn sometime.

You just click the "multi quote" under the messages you want, then you click "quote" under the last message.

Was it really that difficult for you to understand? :scared: :dunce: :confused:

It would be easier and much more clear if you didn't include your whole philosophy of life ( or whatever point you try to get across ) into a post in a thread about a possible livery editor in a game.

And your whole reasoning seems rather contradictory at best when you ask people to be openminded, tolerant and appreciate variety whilst when someone is critical and expresses their opinion on your work you are completely intolerant and use completely intolerable language to describe them and saying you respect them but then defend your opinion by attacking them personally.

If someone has a different opinion and you say you respect them for it, shouldn't it be more logical to either try to convince them with proper and clearly constructed arguments or agree to disagree?

But I guess this could perhaps make no sense to you at all, anyway I would love to see a livery editor for reasons I made clear many times before in this thread and I tried to adress the issues some seem to have always in a civilized and hopefully clear and logical manner, no need to bring a lot of things into this debate which are totally unrelated.

I see the cars and how exactly do they disprove what I said? Did I not say sponsor logo visibility? The cars are pretty much billboards with wheels, tasteful wheels.
It's obvious you're not fully "there" otherwise this whole macho-behind-the-monitor routine would've hit your inner censor and it would've warned you how dumb you're about to sound.
If you read my post you'd have noticed I never said I'm against a livery editor, in fact it's the 2nd most thing I was looking forward to. All I did was say that I didn't like you're choice of wheel paint at which point you seemed to have lost all ability to act civilized. As for dealing with negative feedback, calling people whiny ******* and mouthing off with empty personal threats, sure isn't a healthy way to do it.

Ok you must have an insecurity or something because I was not posting all that just for you. You are not that special to me, honestly...

My comments are to all the negative feedback of having liveries included in general. Don't make yourself so important, this is not about you. If you think rusted black wheels on a NASCAR vehicle are tasteful then good for you, but taking jabs at my taste in rims is weak and a sad way to make yourself think that you are better than someone because they have different taste then you.

Man up, grow some balls, and go talk to that girl you've been eying for the last five years. You are wasting my time if you are bickering with me on something you say you agree with. Get with the program.

It would be easier and much more clear if you didn't include your whole philosophy of life ( or whatever point you try to get across ) into a post in a thread about a possible livery editor in a game.

And your whole reasoning seems rather contradictory at best when you ask people to be openminded, tolerant and appreciate variety whilst when someone is critical and expresses their opinion on your work you are completely intolerant and use completely intolerable language to describe them and saying you respect them but then defend your opinion by attacking them personally.

If someone has a different opinion and you say you respect them for it, shouldn't it be more logical to either try to convince them with proper and clearly constructed arguments or agree to disagree?

But I guess this could perhaps make no sense to you at all, anyway I would love to see a livery editor for reasons I made clear many times before in this thread and I tried to adress the issues some seem to have always in a civilized and hopefully clear and logical manner, no need to bring a lot of things into this debate which are totally unrelated.

My whole "philosophy on life" has alot to do with what people should stop being so prejudiced against. Just because it's not what the want, they're against it. It's not like GT is adding hover crafts or some ****.

Open minded = I don't like that, it's not for me, but if you like it, good for you.

Non-open minded = That's stupid, that's not the way it should be, it's not meant to be like that, it should not be that way, that should not be allowed.

Sacrilege is straight up disrespectful.

And who did I attack so disrespectfully? And in what way? All I argued was to allow people to be them. Gothick, Rock & Roll, realistic, imaginary whatever.

(To clarify, this part is not about you...) We would never do half of these things in real life so why not allow it in a game? Isn't that the point? If you care so much for the real thing, put the controller down and go out & do the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of your messages is 10 times longer than one of mine so you're wasting your own time, and enjoying it.
Arguing like a 12 year old is fun, but I think I'll leave it to someone else.
Next time you're in the area, hit me up.
angry_tough_guy-21.gif

One of your messages is 10 times longer than one of mine so you're wasting your own time, and enjoying it.
Arguing like a 12 year old is fun, but I think I'll leave it to someone else.
Next time you're in the area, hit me up.
angry_tough_guy-21.gif

Lol, sure, maybe we can go for some drinks or somethin'.👎

Lol, sure, maybe we can go for some drinks or somethin'.👎

Somehow I doubt you're old enough to even drink O'Doul's. You wanted to see how this discussion would go in person to "see how far it got".

And to your last question, I was and am ready for all feedback. My response is my way of dealing with it. Am I supposed to clam up and be a bitch because you all don't like my ****? Yeh, right... I'd love to discuss this in person with any of you critics to see how far this got. Anyone against vinyls is most likely fashion illiterate, against looking good, mundane, devoid of individualism, and most likely "not" the life of the party. "Oh no! artistic nature in a GT game? how will I fit in?!?". I respect more the people who have no use for liveries, but respect the desires of those who do. But to flat out hate it because it will lead to things "not of your standard"? Like really? Who made you God? Unless your name is Kazunori Yamauchi shut the #$&^ up and find another board to bitch & moan about while you work on your goal in life of being a dictator, oppression, and simply making the lives of those around you miserable. You probably think you're above others in society, and a better race of human.

Wait... so someone like Amar, who's mentioned he's not really pro-livery editor (at least in the case of vinyls)... is somehow also fashion illiterate, against looking good, mundane, devoid of individualism, and most likely "not" the life of the party? All because of his choice on creativity in a video game?!

The mind boggles!

(Also, it's probably one of the last places for me to mention it, but knowing a fair amount about the clothing industry in general, I'm almost too curious to hear what your theory on "fashion illiterate", and it's conceivable opposite, could be).

:lol: 👍

This. The internet tough guy thing never, ever works out good, SZRT.

+1. Calling people haters because they don't like your particular style is the exact opposite of this "open mind" mantra you're preaching.

Wait... so someone like Amar, who's mentioned he's not really pro-livery editor (at least in the case of vinyls)... is somehow also fashion illiterate, against looking good, mundane, devoid of individualism, and most likely "not" the life of the party? All because of his choice on creativity in a video game?!

The mind boggles!

(Also, it's probably one of the last places for me to mention it, but knowing a fair amount about the clothing industry in general, I'm almost too curious to hear what your theory on "fashion illiterate", and it's conceivable opposite, could be).

:lol: 👍

This. The internet tough guy thing never, ever works out good, SZRT.

+1. Calling people haters because they don't like your particular style is the exact opposite of this "open mind" mantra you're preaching.

Misunderstood everything I said, but thanks for picking apart everything I said for every single negative aspect you can find.

I see it as, the Livery Editor is optional. If you want to keep the beauty of your car, then don't put anything on it. Let people who want to use the livery, use it.

Back