If GT5 does incorporate a livery editor...

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 1,552 comments
lets try this again shall we guys.....
I would like to make this livery to fit a car.
01.jpg

If you don't like my cars, fine. This is not about MY cars. My post are against those who oppose the idea of a livery editor altogether. I may start my posts in response to someone else's criticism, but I turn it back towards those who oppose the idea of a vinyl editor. I say the thing about fashion because If you have a style that is your own, and you know what it is to have a style, then you would understand the want of a vinyl editor. (Maybe I assumed this would be obviously understood, but I guess I assumed wrong.)

I am not trying to be a tough guy, but do feel on the defensive right now.

And I'm not calling them haters for hating on my cars, I said they were haters for hating on what's different. (A livery editor) And just because they don't like it, they think it doesn't belong.

::Prepares for the next round of nit-picking::

If you don't like my cars, fine.

That's not true though, is it? Several people have remarked that they don't like your cars and you've responded with insults and borderline threats.

This:

Man up, grow some balls, and go talk to that girl you've been eying for the last five years.

Is not acceptable on GTPlanet and you will not be told again. Other people's genders, testicle size and personal life are also not relevant to the topic of livery editors.

Feel free to be "on the defensive", but defend your points. Don't launch into verbal tirades against other people because they don't agree with you.

You like the designs you make. Guess what? Some people might not. That's the risk you take. If you want to grab people's attention you will get both positive and negative attention - if you can't handle the negative attention without behaving boorishly, I'd suggest you don't attempt to garner attention.

Stick to discussing the points. If you want to discuss the personal characteristics of the people behind the points, do so on a different site.

Thankyou for that post, Famine.

You know, even after all of this, I still would love a livery editor. We're not sure how it would impact the aesthetic of the game, but we could always have "GT classic" online clubs, where only stock coloured cars are allowed, and we can recall the good ol' pre-livery days with our pipes and slippers.

I expect I'd dislike at least 40% of other people's designs, but in return I'd get huge enjoyment appreciating the ones I liked, and creating my own. This would be a never-ending source of fun for me.

That's not true though, is it? Several people have remarked that they don't like your cars and you've responded with insults and borderline threats.

This:

Is not acceptable on GTPlanet and you will not be told again. Other people's genders, testicle size and personal life are also not relevant to the topic of livery editors.

Feel free to be "on the defensive", but defend your points. Don't launch into verbal tirades against other people because they don't agree with you.

You like the designs you make. Guess what? Some people might not. That's the risk you take. If you want to grab people's attention you will get both positive and negative attention - if you can't handle the negative attention without behaving boorishly, I'd suggest you don't attempt to garner attention.

Stick to discussing the points. If you want to discuss the personal characteristics of the people behind the points, do so on a different site.

You win boss... Everything I say seems wrong, but okay. W/e. I see where the majority goes here. And just to ask, what does blasphemy (sacrilege) have to do with cars? Anyways, you win... I shouldn't have said what I did. But I felt disrespected, so I disrespected back. Regardless, I know I was wrong, but I don't think "sacrilege" earns a respectful response.

I still would love a livery editor. We're not sure how it would impact the aesthetic of the game.

I'd get huge enjoyment appreciating the ones I liked, and creating my own. This would be a never-ending source of fun for me.

This.

Last edited by a moderator:
And just to ask, what does blasphemy (sacrilege) have to do with cars?

Some people see car shapes as sacrosanct. To them, a pink Aston Martin V12 Vantage would be sacrilege - and to say you'd want one would be blasphemy.

Weird, but weird is fine. Calling them a &*£^%ing &^%£ for being weird isn't fine.

Haven't played GT5 nor GT6 yet but in GT4 i thought the actual racing cars to be the weakest link (becouse of weak tyre model) ;)

To stay ontopic: Livery editor would be fun but with it one would need the option to disable user made liveries. Not just to avoid ugly designs but also to shorten the load times.

Thankyou for that post, Famine.

You know, even after all of this, I still would love a livery editor. We're not sure how it would impact the aesthetic of the game, but we could always have "GT classic" online clubs, where only stock coloured cars are allowed, and we can recall the good ol' pre-livery days with our pipes and slippers.

I expect I'd dislike at least 40% of other people's designs, but in return I'd get huge enjoyment appreciating the ones I liked, and creating my own. This would be a never-ending source of fun for me.

I'm of the opinion we'll get it eventually (I just hoped it would be in two months). Kaz wouldn't have posted it up on that presentation slide all that time ago if he wasn't interested, and surely he knows how much it can bring to the community (not to mention fit in with Sony's LBP/MNR ideals).

It's probably my most-wanted feature, yet I'd say I'd probably not even be interested in an even higher percentage of liveries out there; I'd go so far as to say well over half won't get more than a glance from me! It's still wholly worth it though; just because my tastes are sorta specific doesn't mean there won't be a lot of well-done liveries. It would literally be something for everyone 👍

I still feel there's a decent chance. I don't know why. Well, I do.

It's still much a mystery. No footage of it. No major mentioning of it other than at Gamescom. There's little buzz from PD about this feature.

The cockpit debacle was a mystery, but not any longer. It's clear they will not support the cockpit view. That's factual.

But for the livery editor, a sense of uncertainty remains high. I love it.

It would be much easier for them to do a livery editor rather than do all 800+ standard cockpits in a PSP style. I'm glad in a way that they are not pursuing the later because it would still end up half baked.

However with the livery editor its easy to do on a basic level but if PD want it at a 'KY level' that might not be possible given the time! I would be happy with something like a MCLA or SCC level of livery editor, just give us something ANYTHING! I bet they could put it together in under a week.

Robin.

It would be much easier for them to do a livery editor rather than do all 800+ standard cockpits in a PSP style. I'm glad in a way that they are not pursuing the later because it would still end up half baked.

However with the livery editor its easy to do on a basic level but if PD want it at a 'KY level' that might not be possible given the time! I would be happy with something like a MCLA or SCC level of livery editor, just give us something ANYTHING! I bet they could put it together in under a week.

Robin.

MC:LA sports an amazing livery editor. FM3 is probably the only game I can think of that is better and allows more layers.

I don't think we'd get an MC:LA level. Maybe better than Ferrari Challenge's level but below MC:LA's.

MC:LA sports an amazing livery editor. FM3 is probably the only game I can think of that is better and allows more layers.

I don't think we'd get an MC:LA level. Maybe better than Ferrari Challenge's level but below MC:LA's.

You're forgetting Yamauchi's obsession with perfection. He wouldn't dream of implementing a livery editor unless it was streets ahead of the competition.

Ironic how the only simultatior has no editor.

The "only simulator?" Someone needs introducing to the real world that is iRacing, GTR, Live For Speed, Race Pro... :dunce:

Do they have a livery editor?

Yes, but what's that got to do with them being brought up as alternate simulators to your "GT5 is the only siimulator on PS3 :dunce:" postings?

What "simulation scale"?

You said that GT5 was the "only" simulation. It was pointed out that there are others. You said "On a ps3 :dunce:". It was pointed out that there are others.

This has nothing to do with livery editors.

Try again.

Ironic how the only simultatior has no editor.

infamousDee
The "only simulator?" Someone needs introducing to the real world that is iRacing, GTR, Live For Speed, Race Pro... :dunce:

On a ps3. :dunce:

Incidentally, "PS3" is an abbreviation of a proper noun. It requires capitalisation. And GT5 isn't the only simulator without a livery editor either.

Although to be fair, 'Playstation' is one word, so technically he could have gotten away with 'Ps3' or even 'P3,' though I agree 'PS3' is the most common and accepted.

You're forgetting Yamauchi's obsession with perfection. He wouldn't dream of implementing a livery editor unless it was streets ahead of the competition.

Yet he's giving us a track creator that is as primitive as it gets. Yes no one else has a track creator so it's the best but that's like saying that your 3 wheeled fiat panda with 4 holes in the passenger side door is the best 3 wheeled fiat panda with 4 holes in the passenger side door simply cause it's the only one in the world. Something like that.
This perfectionist thing is really getting out of hand.

Yet he's giving us a track creator that is as primitive as it gets. Yes no one else has a track creator so it's the best but that's like saying that your 3 wheeled fiat panda with 4 holes in the passenger side door is the best 3 wheeled fiat panda with 4 holes in the passenger side door simply cause it's the only one in the world. Something like that.

Agreed, and while overall GT5 will undoubtedly be a great, even fantastic, game, one can't honestly look at it and say that every aspect is "streets ahead of the competition".

I'd rather have something incorporated sooner that at least is class-competitive, or even very slightly worse than the competition, than continue on for a few more years with not even a hint of a livery editor at all. It's not a new feature in the genre, it's been around for years.

I have to disagree; the track creation tool isn't primitive at all. It would be technically impossible to create a comprehensive, "developer grade" track editor for the regular, home consumer to work with, down to the sheer complexity of the tracks they would be creating. The fact that a next-generation title even has this feature is nothing short of incredible, and I believe I'm right in saying that none of Gran Turismo's rivals would even begin to contemplate implementing a feature such as this.

We'll agree to disagree then.
No one is talking about developer grade anything. I would just like to have the option to have control over the layout/shape of the course. It already lets you change corner frequency, corner angles and slope. I don't see why eliminating the CPU input is impossible when other things seem simple. I would agree with FAMINE where he said that having the ModNationRacers level of customization with the graphics engine of GT5 would be a pickle to pull off. All I can think is that there is a set number of "pre-recorded/pre-rendered" corners/sections that most likely all created courses will share. They couldn't figure out how to do it any other way. The track scenery will be repetitive among the 4 scenery choices so why couldn't they re use the same textures and such to let us draw each individual turn? Is it because they decided at the last moment to let us have it as is as opposed to not at all?
I think other developers have held off from having course creators cause they simply can't come up with a user friendly way to do it. PD on the other hand seem to want to be the first one's with a course maker in the game no matter how compromised it is. They'll just improve on it later which I have no problem with.

Back