If You Won The Lottery...

My wife and I have discussed this a few times and have always come to the same conclusion:

• My sons would each have at least $50,000 added to their college funds.
  • A pile would be set aside for any CF complications my youngest son might run into, like, God forbid, needing a lung transplant.
  • All siblings (10 total) would receive $10,000 each and parents $20,000 each. We would be inclined to do more, but the youngest of all of our parents kids is 23. At that point, you should be able to care for yourself. Compounded with the complete lack of financial sense some of the have, they are doing good to receive that much.
  • The house and specials would be paid off (at present around $180,000). We might entertain purchasing a new house/having a new one built, but our house is only 3 years old, we picked everything out (carpet, trim, cabinets, doors, hardware, etc.) and, after adding 2 kids, it is still big enough for us.
  • The Pilot would be paid off (around $15,000). There might also be talk about a new car. Nothing fancy (at this point, with the kids an all), just a cheap work runner. We are already looking for one, but after winning the lottery, the work runner would be a bit nicer than we are currently planning. :D
  • I would be forced to buying a killer camera so I could get some good pictures while we are on a
  • Killer vacation. This would have to wait until the kids are both old enough to enjoy/remember it. Either that or it would be followed with another trip after they reach those requirements.
  • Invest, invest, invest.

You know what guys, I just had an epiphany. I was reading a letter in the Backfires section of my new Car and Driver--January 2007--concerning the changes the Speed channel has gorn through in the past few years, after it was bought out by Fox. The Americans in the room will know what I'm talking about. They remember what Speedvision was, and know what Speed has become. It's more than frustrating.

So, my idea. I want to win a large lottery. I have no idea how much a TV station costs, so let's have a nice financial cushion and say the lottery is 10 billion dollars. Sounds about right, eh?

So, I have 10 billion dollars. I have a pashionate dislike for what Speed has become. You see any possiblities?

I want to buy Speed from Fox. I want to shut it down for good. No more Speed channel. Then I want to round up the original creator, Roger Werner, and tell him that I want a channel just like what Speedvision was in its glory days. And I want it to be called Speedvision. Then I want to make sure that he never sells it and that it always stays the same. I want to watch WRC, F1, DTM, BTC, all that stuff that we just don't have in the States. That's what I'd do if I won the lottery. Anyone with me?

Okay, I like the way you think keef, but-

1) 10 Billion is a huge amount. Do you really win that much on a lottery?
2) Running a channel/tv show is exceptionally hard work, even with help.

Oh, another one to add to mine.
I'd buy a used Morgan Aero 8 Race Car (I remember seeing one for sale last year) and try to set a time for every major European circuit.

$10,000,000,000.00 is an extremely high amount of money for a lottery. You'd be one of the top ten richest people in the world.

I'd buy a four-storey mansion and a 1970's Ferrari 308 GTB. I'd also start my own automobile company. The rest can be put into the bank. $500.00 would be sent for charity, of course.

First thing I do is take the lump sum and invest it in some hedge funds and all that business. Then I quit my job, buy an Audi A6 (or something practical yet awesome), get a couple friends and take a road trip across the continent for about 3 months.

Then buy a house I guess and maybe start up a business and live happily ever after.

What's all that money worth if you're sick and feel awfull every-single-day?? Nothing, absolutely nothing. It can give me a good feeling temporay but that's all. I would still be sick.

id spend it on women and booze, the rest id just sqaunder - george best
heres my list...
private space flight
huge house on a huge property (multiple garage)
pub inside huge house
dirt track on property to race **** heaps lol
warehouse to store cars
cars to fill the warehouse (damn you jay leno!)
blow huge amounts of money on engines for cars in warehouse :)
copious amounts of tullamore dew
what more could you need except women 👍

i forgot a golf buggy

...i forgot a golf buggy
Golf carts! Oh my god, I'd buy a ton a golf carts to help ease my TV-station-running troubles. I'd have a dirt race track for them and we'd go golf cart off roading! Rock crawling (little rocks, meh) and everything!

You know what guys, I just had an epiphany. I was reading a letter in the Backfires section of my new Car and Driver--January 2007--concerning the changes the Speed channel has gorn through in the past few years, after it was bought out by Fox. The Americans in the room will know what I'm talking about. They remember what Speedvision was, and know what Speed has become. It's more than frustrating.

So, my idea. I want to win a large lottery. I have no idea how much a TV station costs, so let's have a nice financial cushion and say the lottery is 10 billion dollars. Sounds about right, eh?

So, I have 10 billion dollars. I have a pashionate dislike for what Speed has become. You see any possiblities?

I want to buy Speed from Fox. I want to shut it down for good. No more Speed channel. Then I want to round up the original creator, Roger Werner, and tell him that I want a channel just like what Speedvision was in its glory days. And I want it to be called Speedvision. Then I want to make sure that he never sells it and that it always stays the same. I want to watch WRC, F1, DTM, BTC, all that stuff that we just don't have in the States. That's what I'd do if I won the lottery. Anyone with me?

Sensible idea. I remember reading that article as well.

Golf carts! Oh my god, I'd buy a ton a golf carts to help ease my TV-station-running troubles. I'd have a dirt race track for them and we'd go golf cart off roading! Rock crawling (little rocks, meh) and everything!

I sense a missing [sarcasm] tag.

What would you get?

I would get Every iBanez Guitar I like.
Mesa/Boogie Amps
Buy my family anything they wanted
Recording Studio
A business in music and foodservice
Land
and an Accountant.

Ibanez?? are you kidding me?
Gibson, Breedlove, and Larrivee acoustics.
Fender, Gibson, and Heritage Electrics.
Mesa/Boogies 👍 Don't forget the Dumbles and vintage Fender tweeds.
Several Porsche motorcars, a big homestead, college funds for my guys,
etc.
Then the "money mill" to generate enough interest to live off of, and maintain my toys.

I'd make a pie chart, but it would look a lot like a BMW logo, and I don't want my winnings taken away from me.
:lol:

Anyways, I've always thought of such things.
First, I would buy every variation of the Sega Genesis (currently up to: 5 out of at least 15) and its add-ons.
Second, I would buy all of the Simpsons DVD's, and some anime DVD's.
Thrid, I would buy hatchback, probably a CRX, and make it seem like a Ford RS200.
Then, I would buy at least one copy of every car ever styled by Guigaro, concepts included.
Next I would buy arcade cabinents, such as Outrun, Sega Super GT and Chase H.Q. Tempest would probably be in there somewhere as well.
Finally, I would put the money in the bank and probably run for political office a few times, living off the rest of my life in the wretched excess only an American can excel at.

I would fulfill my lifelong dream of starting up a driving range slash bar and grill called 'Drinkin' and Drivin.'

I'd also buy some nice cars and crap.

-Mark

Well, if the jackpot was set @ $5,000,000 AU, I'd -
  • Buy one yellow Gallardo, and one red F430. (Perfect combination)
  • Buy a $2,000,000+ house. (Needs to be contemporary/modern and near a beach. Or I'd just build my own.)
  • $250,000 would go towards nice furniture and equipment.
  • And with the last $2,000,000, I'd invest it, watch it grow (At today's interest rates; very slowly), and live off that for the time being.
And if it was set @ $10,000,000 AU, I'd do the same, but larger -

• Buy one orange Murcielago, and one red 599 GTB Fiorano. (Perfect combination)
  • Buy a $5,000,000+ house. (Needs to be contemporary/modern and near a beach. Or I'd just build my own.)
  • $500,000 would go towards nice furniture and equipment.
  • And with the last $3,500,000, I'd invest it, watch it grow (At today's interest rates; very slowly), and live off that for the time being.

Well, my list could go on for quite a while, but in short.....

An expensive house for future investment, Nissan Skyline Silhouette GTS1 and GTS2, R34 GT-R V spec, a huge import tuning shop, a crapload of land, a dynamometer, heaps of super fast computers and laptops, start up a drift team in the Drift Australia series, a killer recording studio with expensive equipment, an awesome drum kit or two, an RM250, order a Playstation 3 premium, GTHD, a huge home entertainment system, give heaps to my family and extended family, and get GTP premium :sly:

Well, it won't cost as much as buying every Gibson! :D
True, but if I'm a multi-millionaire, I'm gonna spend like it!
Also, I don't like the "popular" Gibson electrics. So for me there will be ES-135's, ES-335's, ES-355's. But no "floating" bridge guitars, and no SG's and only one or two Pauls.
As for the Fenders, every electric would be a "hard-tail" including Strats.
I would only buy 3-4 Heritage guitars, as they are only "copies" of high-end Gibsons, made in the old Gibson factory, by former Gibson employees that didn't want to leave Nashville, when the factory moved.
I also would have to add a few Hamers, and a Gretch or three.

An expensive house for future investment, Nissan Skyline Silhouette GTS1 and GTS2, R34 GT-R V spec, a huge import tuning shop, a crapload of land, a dynamometer, heaps of super fast computers and laptops, start up a drift team in the Drift Australia series, a killer recording studio with expensive equipment, an awesome drum kit or two, an RM250, order a Playstation 3 premium, GTHD, a huge home entertainment system, give heaps to my family and extended family, and get GTP premium :sly:

How much millions are we talking about here?

Hundereds from the sound of things. And even then he'd be lucky to have any left to actually live off.

It would seem the highest Lottery Jackpots ever have all been recorded this past decade...

The #1 was in 2016, 10 years after this thread was made...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ns-850-m-powerball-730-m-jackpots/4205531001/

Mega Millions, Powerball jackpots have swelled to nearly $1.6B combined. Here's how they stack up in US lottery history.
  • Powerball: $1.586 billion (Jan. 13, 2016; winning tickets sold in California, Florida and Tennessee)
  • Mega Millions: $1.537 billion (Oct. 23, 2018; South Carolina)
  • Mega Millions: $850 million (current)

Here's how the current Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots, worth nearly a combined $1.6 billion, stack up to the top 10 in U.S. history:

Powerball: $1.586 billion (Jan. 13, 2016; winning tickets sold in California, Florida and Tennessee)
Mega Millions: $1.537 billion (Oct. 23, 2018; South Carolina)
Mega Millions: $850 million (current)
Powerball: $768.4 million (March 27, 2019; Wisconsin)
Powerball: $758.7 million (Aug. 23, 2017; Massachusetts)
Powerball: $730 million (current)
Powerball: $687.8 million (Oct. 27, 2018; Iowa and New York)
Mega Millions: $656 million (March 30, 2012; Illinois, Kansas and Maryland)
Mega Millions: $648 million (Dec. 17, 2012; California and Georgia)
Powerball: $590.5 million (May 18, 2013; Florida)

Today the numbers are getting quite high too... so it's a good time to ask ourselves the same question... what would you do?

It would seem the highest Lottery Jackpots ever have all been recorded this past decade...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ns-850-m-powerball-730-m-jackpots/4205531001/

Mega Millions, Powerball jackpots have swelled to nearly $1.6B combined. Here's how they stack up in US lottery history.
  • Powerball: $1.586 billion (Jan. 13, 2016; winning tickets sold in California, Florida and Tennessee)

Here's how the current Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots, worth nearly a combined $1.6 billion, stack up to the top 10 in U.S. history:

Powerball: $1.586 billion (Jan. 13, 2016; winning tickets sold in California, Florida and Tennessee)

Today the numbers are getting quite high too... so it's a good time to ask ourselves the same question... what would you do?

That's what inflation does.

Buy everyone a GTP lifetime membership.

I'd buy a little house in Iceland, with a greenhouse and big cellar full of all the weight lifting equipment I ever wanted, a nice 4x4 - and use the rest of the money to live a peaceful, quiet life. I'm not big on material possessions, all I really want is a cozy peaceful little place I can call my own in a beautiful country.

Ok, I have to admit, I'd get me a Viper ACR as well. :sly:

Last edited:
Move to a big house in Toronto, with a dedicated room for all my gaming stuff. Buy an RV to follow Indycar across America.

Also will have an Audi R8 V10 and a Porsche Taycan Turbo S in the garage.

Back