If you've ever wondered if you're using the "correct" camera view...

• Thread starter Dr_Watson
  • 71 comments
i love the Hood Cam, but i can't use it until they give me a rear-view mirror (like Bumper-cam has). So simple, just do it!

Bumper car is the best for precision,
Exterior view is best for an all round peripheral vision,
Cockpit view is the realistic view.

Bumper car is the best for precision,
Exterior view is best for an all round peripheral vision,
Cockpit view is the realistic view.

I only use cockpit cam these days, took awhile to get up to speed but its certainly the 'best' view IMO

What makes you say Bumper cam is best for precision? Why can't you get that precision from the follow cam (Exterior view)?

I only use cockpit cam these days, took awhile to get up to speed but its certainly the 'best' view IMO

What makes you say Bumper cam is best for precision? Why can't you get that precision from the follow cam (Exterior view)?

I feel that, closer to the ground, you're able to pin-point apexes and clearly see when you can use the throttle when seeing the amount of run off available. Having said that, I have been using 3rd person view all my life, with the exception of F1, but now I use cockpit cam. When I used the bumper cam to try out in F1, I found it a lot more precise than from the cockpit or 3rd person. I switched back to driver eye, though, as it was most realistic and you get a minor peripheral view with it.

I think bumper cam or "normal view" as per the game standards is somehow realistic only if the point I'm about to make is understood.
If you read any book based on race craft you will find that whoever wrote the book will start by pointing out the importance of your seat position at first, insuring that it's essential to enhance your field of view if you continue reading you will find him stating about a point where the driver becomes one with the car an extreme concentration status called "in the zone".
Well when a driver is in the zone his eyes will look so far ahead that the interior of the car will become invisible to his eyes.
That being said i think the "normal view" cam is in the zone state but the game gives it to you right from the word go.
I had a job once where i had to drive each day for hours , i remember once i was going into a left hand corner when all of a sudden i realized that the corner mid point matching perfectly with the car windshield walls if that what they should be called, the second that i thought how did i manage to look through it and judge the corner midpoint is when i almost had an accident , the main reason is that deliberately i have taken myself at that very second out of the zone.

all in all "in the zone cam" would be a perfect suggestion to call this view option

I have 1 screen and the view I use relies almost entirely on my mood and car. Roofless cars for example I am much more likely to use the interior, because not much of my vision is blocked. If I'm using a car with a tiny windshield I'm much more likely to use the "Normal" view, as I can actually see something. Besides, a screen cannot replicate the field-of-vision that eyes actually have, so cockpit-views on a screen limit your vision much more than real life, so that interior better be damn beautiful if I'm expected it race in it (Cruising is fine with any view though)

Guess I haven't been playing right either.

I prefer cockpit view, gives me a better sense of weight transfer and adds more character to each car. Some are harder to pilot just because it's more of a challenge to see.

Whoever can consistently hit right handed apexes in the R18 at speed is better than I'll ever be.

I reread this and it made me think that with a helmet and other safety equipment required in racing cars it's all around difficult to see the apexes than without.

Which brings me to my next point, we all may seem to be forgetting how limited peripheral vision is any time you drive with a helmet strapped into a single position. I've never had the pleasure of such an arrangement, but I can only imagine.

As far as my preferred views, I'm torn betweeen the normal view and the cockpit (where applicable). When it comes to real race situatuons in GT, I feel I'm definitely at a disadvantage using cockpit view versus normal view. Still, for cruising nothing beats the actual interior of the car.

If I'm without my wheel and need to use the DS, it's gotta be the follow cam. Roof cam doesn't do much for me.

I reread this and it made me think that with a helmet and other safety equipment required in racing cars it's all around difficult to see the apexes than without.

Which brings me to my next point, we all may seem to be forgetting how limited peripheral vision is any time you drive with a helmet strapped into a single position. I've never had the pleasure of such an arrangement, but I can only imagine.

As far as my preferred views, I'm torn betweeen the normal view and the cockpit (where applicable). When it comes to real race situatuons in GT, I feel I'm definitely at a disadvantage using cockpit view versus normal view. Still, for cruising nothing beats the actual interior of the car.

If I'm without my wheel and need to use the DS, it's gotta be the follow cam. Roof cam doesn't do much for me.

Just look at the changes in the LMP regulations for this year. I still can't get over the R18, if GT6 is anywhere close to real life. There's maybe 60 degrees of visability. Right handers? Forget about it. I couldn't hit an apex unless it jumped out in front of me.

You'd be surprised, helmets just disappear once you're in the car (until 100+ mph air in an open wheeler starts to lift it off your head :lol: ). The visor is wider than it looks and so close to your eyes that forward vision isn't compromised at all, it just narrows your FOV a bit so you have to turn your head to see out side windows (I can see a pillar to a pillar no problem with my bell m4 full face). The narrow FOV is even less of a worry at speed though, since adrenaline narrows your focus anyway the helmet is largely cutting off what your brain stops paying attention to anyway.

I like the hood view, but you don't get the speedometer or the rev counter.

If hood view isn't available, I use the bumper view.

Well, I sit 2.3 metres away from a 32" screen, and I like using every view for different purposes: chase view for tightly packed racing so I know exactly where my car is, bumper view for Goodwood, Interior view when I feel like it and Hood View for admiring scenery (especially the stars at bathurst, try it out, free run, 1AM, HUD off, and raise the exposure a little bit if you think it isn't beautiful enough)

It is not about the correct Camera view it is about the correct field of view (FOV) The closer you are to the screen, the wider the field of view.

Back