ilikewaffles11's Toyotas

Understandable, I'm a mechanic myself and I don't even know where to begin. :P Don't really deal with performance tires though.

Fair enough. If you get flustered, there's no reason for me to be shy about being flustered about it too, haha. :lol:

Well the guy who bought it was a huge Toyota guy as well and he definitely appreciates it for what it is so that's good to know its going to somebody who will take care of it. He supposedly owned one for about a week before somebody ran into it and totaled it, so he wanted another. I believe he said he owns an SW20 MR2 as well. Glad I can say I've been able to drive one at least.

He crashed his first Celica? Even if he wasn't the one who caused the crash, that's somewhat worrying... But I guess if he knows his Toyotas, there isn't the need to be that worried over such a thing. If anything, he found the right guy to buy an Alltrac from, given your father's track record with Toyotas... That practically sold the car all by itself.

Try to keep us updated on the Celica's new life if you can, it'd be interesting to know how that would go.

To be honest, a 1980s Porsche is more likely to have issues than a new Toyota. We rarely have any Japanese cars in at work with any sort of wiring or electrical issues. I'm not sure about 944 electrical systems, but I know the general consensus on old Porsches are that the electrical systems are problematic, as my old mans 928 can attest too. Plus I've never owned a car where every single bolt and nut will actually come apart without breaking or stripping, so that's a plus of the FRS!

Though one of the things I'd enjoy about a 944 is that it's different from what I'm used to working on, and I enjoy tinkering with stuff on my own time. I'm sure I'd get frustrated working on it, but I like working on something that's a bit of a challenge when it's at my own pace. Main reason I volunteered to work on his 928.

Well that's a given with age in cars. Even with the electronical gizmos, modern cars are still built with different standards and procedures that old cars didn't quite have and/or weren't perfected. Given that the 944 is a German car from the late '80s, you are obviously bound to find some :banghead: moments with the electronics, including trying to figure out the wiring (good lord) setup. Buying a FRS would get rid of those issues, but it could also bring about new ones, like ECU, ESP and other modern electronical issues...

But then again, you're already working on a Porsche that comes from the same era as the 944, that's even more complex in its structure. And given that a 944 is no 911, you'd learn quite a lot from working with one. Not saying you wouldn't learn anything from working with a FRS mind you, but the 944 certainly teaches a lot about the world of oddball Porsche coupes...

Fair enough. If you get flustered, there's no reason for me to be shy about being flustered about it too, haha. :lol:

He crashed his first Celica? Even if he wasn't the one who caused the crash, that's somewhat worrying... But I guess if he knows his Toyotas, there isn't the need to be that worried over such a thing. If anything, he found the right guy to buy an Alltrac from, given your father's track record with Toyotas... That practically sold the car all by itself.

Try to keep us updated on the Celica's new life if you can, it'd be interesting to know how that would go.

Well that's a given with age in cars. Even with the electronical gizmos, modern cars are still built with different standards and procedures that old cars didn't quite have and/or weren't perfected. Given that the 944 is a German car from the late '80s, you are obviously bound to find some :banghead: moments with the electronics, including trying to figure out the wiring (good lord) setup. Buying a FRS would get rid of those issues, but it could also bring about new ones, like ECU, ESP and other modern electronical issues...

But then again, you're already working on a Porsche that comes from the same era as the 944, that's even more complex in its structure. And given that a 944 is no 911, you'd learn quite a lot from working with one. Not saying you wouldn't learn anything from working with a FRS mind you, but the 944 certainly teaches a lot about the world of oddball Porsche coupes...

Yea somebody ran into him so wasn't his fault. The car did basically sell itself, even made its way onto Bring a Trailer! If I do hear anything I'll let you know but not sure we will.

It had an issue with the charging system which persisted after I put a new alternator on it, so the one guy who's really good with electrical stuff worked on it.. I saw the wiring diagrams.. Dear god no thank you. The 944 seems simple enough, a lot more than a 928 at least, but it's time consuming to work on.

And I'm really not worried about the FRS electronics at all honestly, besides the fact that it's a new car Japanese cars rarely have issues with their electrical systems from what I've seen. Though I'd love if I didn't have to have that stupid infotainment screen on the dash..

Yea somebody ran into him so wasn't his fault. The car did basically sell itself, even made its way onto Bring a Trailer! If I do hear anything I'll let you know but not sure we will.

It had an issue with the charging system which persisted after I put a new alternator on it, so the one guy who's really good with electrical stuff worked on it.. I saw the wiring diagrams.. Dear god no thank you. The 944 seems simple enough, a lot more than a 928 at least, but it's time consuming to work on.

And I'm really not worried about the FRS electronics at all honestly, besides the fact that it's a new car Japanese cars rarely have issues with their electrical systems from what I've seen. Though I'd love if I didn't have to have that stupid infotainment screen on the dash..

Well here's hoping it doesn't happen again, really. Also, did the Celica really make it into BAT? Guess that's another thing for the car's already extensive resume, haha. And since your father didn't tune it to oblivion, I bet that only brought more interested folk towards the car...

Welcome to 928 motoring. :sly: :lol:
But joke aside, given the amount of technology put into it, I'm not surprised to hear that working on a 928 can be a nightmare when it comes to electronics. That's why it pays to either find a car without issues in that department or know someone who can fix said issues without much hassle... The 944, being a younger brother of the 924, works on a more simple basis, but because of the Porsche-developed engine, it's a bit more complex than the 924. Still, it's a far cry from having to work with the 928's V8...

Ah yes, the infotainment screen, one of your biggest pet peeves... You may hate it, but you have to stick with it if you want a FRS. Not really much you can do to remove it, because it works as the center spine for everything that's comfort equipment and the like. Besides, that's a small price to pay for an easier-to-understand JDM coupe with more power than a 944S...

Well here's hoping it doesn't happen again, really. Also, did the Celica really make it into BAT? Guess that's another thing for the car's already extensive resume, haha. And since your father didn't tune it to oblivion, I bet that only brought more interested folk towards the car...

Welcome to 928 motoring. :sly: :lol:
But joke aside, given the amount of technology put into it, I'm not surprised to hear that working on a 928 can be a nightmare when it comes to electronics. That's why it pays to either find a car without issues in that department or know someone who can fix said issues without much hassle... The 944, being a younger brother of the 924, works on a more simple basis, but because of the Porsche-developed engine, it's a bit more complex than the 924. Still, it's a far cry from having to work with the 928's V8...

Ah yes, the infotainment screen, one of your biggest pet peeves... You may hate it, but you have to stick with it if you want a FRS. Not really much you can do to remove it, because it works as the center spine for everything that's comfort equipment and the like. Besides, that's a small price to pay for an easier-to-understand JDM coupe with more power than a 944S...

Yea lets hope not. But yup, somebody must've sent it in. Got some attention on there but I believe the guy who bought it saw it on eBay.

Yea it's no 928 that's for sure. Still complex cars and I'm not familiar with them, so it'd be interesting to say the least..

Yea, unfortunately. I can live with it but.. For gods sake I don't want it haha. Though I believe it has Sirius XM built into it, which might be nice.. Built in USB ports are kinda nice too.

Yea lets hope not. But yup, somebody must've sent it in. Got some attention on there but I believe the guy who bought it saw it on eBay.

Yea it's no 928 that's for sure. Still complex cars and I'm not familiar with them, so it'd be interesting to say the least..

Yea, unfortunately. I can live with it but.. For gods sake I don't want it haha. Though I believe it has Sirius XM built into it, which might be nice.. Built in USB ports are kinda nice too.

Oh, you also put it on eBay? Guess that was the easier way to get quick attention, really. And it worked, if anything. If it didn't, BAT would've quickly put the car on the map of every Toyota enthusiast.
By the by, could you share the BAT link, if it's still up that is?

Well it would be a big learning experience, yes, but a good one if you're into that sort of thing. And being a mechanic, I bet that's your case...

But you just gave yourself two reasons to endure living with the screen! You shot down your very own argument... :lol:
Joke aside, if you take the screen off you might as well call it the Sirius NopeM, because it just cancels that out. And of course, since everything these days has an USB port, having two in your car helps...

Oh, you also put it on eBay? Guess that was the easier way to get quick attention, really. And it worked, if anything. If it didn't, BAT would've quickly put the car on the map of every Toyota enthusiast.
By the by, could you share the BAT link, if it's still up that is?

Well it would be a big learning experience, yes, but a good one if you're into that sort of thing. And being a mechanic, I bet that's your case...

But you just gave yourself two reasons to endure living with the screen! You shot down your very own argument... :lol:
Joke aside, if you take the screen off you might as well call it the Sirius NopeM, because it just cancels that out. And of course, since everything these days has an USB port, having two in your car helps...

Yup it got a lot of attention on eBay, and the buyer was bidding on it constantly before just calling and agreeing to buy it. I'll include the link below.

Yea I'd definitely like to do it for the experience.

This is true haha. Still would prefer living without it but I suppose it has its uses..

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/12/02/turbo-awd-rally-hatch-1992-toyota-celica-all-trac/

Posting because excited as I have more to post about later, but I just ordered a set of Watanabe RSs for the MR2! Arriving in May.. Long wait :(
image.jpg

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, has a +40 offset but close enough. My dad thinks I'm insane for spending this much on wheels, but quite honestly none of the knock off Watanabes look right to me and.. I mean JDM and stuff I guess.
image.jpg

Decided on Falken Azenis RT615Ks which I'll order in May. New windshield in the spring time and then I need to stop spending money for a while.. :lol:
image.jpg

Don't feel like posting about it because I'm very slowly doing it (motivation is now where to be found), but Celica is finally getting the seals it needs. The timing belt/tensioner and water pump are all brand new but the previous owner cheaped out on seals while doing it and I have to redo it all.. :banghead:
image.jpg

Oh well. I've been chipping away at this and would like to finish it within a week.. Not much left so it should be drive able again, really wanna take it out for a drive. Will post about later.

Nothing beats the originals. Wheels are one of the most important parts of the entire car, there's no use cheaping out and putting yourself in danger.

Wheels look great. Good on you for getting real Watanabe wheels rather than a similar design. Go for the wheels you really want. That makes me sound like a brand snob, which I sort of am but I like to pay for quality.

What are the wheel specs? 14x6?
I reckon silver would look nicer but that's just me. Black wheels don't do it for me.

Well the MR2 budget is getting some high numbers... But it's been put to good use so far, if anything. Like SVX said, buying good-condition wheels is key to ensure driving is safe and sound, and besides, you had your mind set on buying proper legit Watanabes. With no other choice, why be shy about it?

Plus, anyone who might buy the car later (if you ever get that crazy, that is :lol:) will notice that you spent some dough to make the car look good, without going for cheap knock-offs... That'll make the car more valuable, certainly.

SVX
Nothing beats the originals. Wheels are one of the most important parts of the entire car, there's no use cheaping out and putting yourself in danger.

Agreed, although to be fair I know I could've gone with knockoffs with how I use it. As you know I'm usually just backroad bombing, I'd like to try a track but even so I don't push the car hard enough to worry about it. The biggest thing for me was the look, which the knockoffs just can't match for some reason. To me anyway.

Plus most of the knockoffs you can find have questionable quality so meh.

Wheels look great. Good on you for getting real Watanabe wheels rather than a similar design. Go for the wheels you really want. That makes me sound like a brand snob, which I sort of am but I like to pay for quality.

What are the wheel specs? 14x6?
I reckon silver would look nicer but that's just me. Black wheels don't do it for me.

I'm usually the same way, I'd rather spend a little more and get a higher quality product. It's my favorite wheel ever I think and it looks just right on an MR2, so why not.

I went a size bigger actually, 15x6.5 with a +40 offset. I'd prefer the 14s but you can't get any performance tires for 14 inch wheels, and there's a lot of options for 15s. The wheels are actually dark grey, just looks darker in the photos. I'm not a huge fan of the black myself, and I actually had an option of silver 15x7s but personally I think the dark grey looks the best.

Well the MR2 budget is getting some high numbers... But it's been put to good use so far, if anything. Like SVX said, buying good-condition wheels is key to ensure driving is safe and sound, and besides, you had your mind set on buying proper legit Watanabes. With no other choice, why be shy about it?

Plus, anyone who might buy the car later (if you ever get that crazy, that is :lol:) will notice that you spent some dough to make the car look good, without going for cheap knock-offs... That'll make the car more valuable, certainly.

To be honest overall it's been pretty cheap for what I got, so I'm not complaining. Mechanically I haven't had to do much at all, and the list is pretty short. I've spent too much this year already, so I'll wait until next year to have the body work done.

I plan on keeping the wheels IF I ever sold it (big if), since with some adapters for 4x114.3 they can be used on pretty much any old Japanese car. Still, nice investment to have laying around just in case. :P

I would like to get some adapters and see how they look on the Supra. I'd also like to buy an SW20 some day and they would look gorgeous on that.. The possibilities.. :drool:

To be honest overall it's been pretty cheap for what I got, so I'm not complaining. Mechanically I haven't had to do much at all, and the list is pretty short. I've spent too much this year already, so I'll wait until next year to have the body work done.

I plan on keeping the wheels IF I ever sold it (big if), since with some adapters for 4x114.3 they can be used on pretty much any old Japanese car. Still, nice investment to have laying around just in case. :P

I would like to get some adapters and see how they look on the Supra. I'd also like to buy an SW20 some day and they would look gorgeous on that.. The possibilities.. :drool:

Well yes, fair enough. Shame all this purchasing has postponed the body work portion of your budget, considering how important that portion is... Here's hoping that doesn't backrust on you. (see what I did there?) :sly: :lol:

Sneaky son of a gun, I should've known about that, haha. So I guess that, no matter what, those rims are staying if you ever sell the MR2? Again, fair enough. That Supra idea sounds interesting, especially since they're period-correct rims. Not exactly original, but certainly interesting...
Also, never knew you had interest in a SW20. Looking forward to expand the MR2 family tree knowledge? :P

Good luck finding 5x114.3 to 4x100 wheel adapters. Fitting 15x6.5+40 on the SW20 isn't the best fit, you saw my SW20 with 15x6.5+45. Also good luck finding decent tyres to fit 15s to suit an SW20. They are pretty much non existent now, especially in the US. That's why I have gone with 17s. The only tyre I can find to fit 15s is Toyo T1R and you guys can't get them.

But great for the AW11. :dopey:

Agreed, although to be fair I know I could've gone with knockoffs with how I use it. As you know I'm usually just backroad bombing, I'd like to try a track but even so I don't push the car hard enough to worry about it. The biggest thing for me was the look, which the knockoffs just can't match for some reason. To me anyway.

Plus most of the knockoffs you can find have questionable quality so meh.

That depends, if you are to hit a pothole or curb by chance on the street, you'll still be putting on stress that could destroy the wheel entirely.

SVX
That depends, if you are to hit a pothole or curb by chance on the street, you'll still be putting on stress that could destroy the wheel entirely.
Potholes and kerbs on the street and rumble strips on track are pretty violent. These can crack even the genuine wheels. Sometimes these light weight aftermarket 'race' wheels compromise strength for weight. But then if you hit a pothole that is big enough at the wrong angle and speed you'll break most cast wheels. Tyre size comes into play too.

Potholes and kerbs on the street and rumble strips on track are pretty violent. These can crack even the genuine wheels. Sometimes these light weight aftermarket 'race' wheels compromise strength for weight. But then if you hit a pothole that is big enough at the wrong angle and speed you'll break most cast wheels. Tyre size comes into play too.

True, but I'd rather not have to go through it in a cheap knock off :P

Well yes, fair enough. Shame all this purchasing has postponed the body work portion of your budget, considering how important that portion is... Here's hoping that doesn't backrust on you. (see what I did there?) :sly: :lol:

Sneaky son of a gun, I should've known about that, haha. So I guess that, no matter what, those rims are staying if you ever sell the MR2? Again, fair enough. That Supra idea sounds interesting, especially since they're period-correct rims. Not exactly original, but certainly interesting...
Also, never knew you had interest in a SW20. Looking forward to expand the MR2 family tree knowledge? :P

Yea I'd really like to have done that sooner, but really it doesn't matter too much when I decide to do it, it's not gonna get worse and it's not too bad to begin with.

But yup, always loved SW20s and I'd love to own one. My dad owns a 1991 T top NA and it's a really fun car to drive, although for me the AW11 is more enjoyable. One day I'll own one myself, and I'd love to find a t top car. We have 3 that come into work now so I've worked on them plenty of times and mostly know what to expect, plus my Celica has the same engine so I'm pretty familiar with them to begin with.

Good luck finding 5x114.3 to 4x100 wheel adapters. Fitting 15x6.5+40 on the SW20 isn't the best fit, you saw my SW20 with 15x6.5+45. Also good luck finding decent tyres to fit 15s to suit an SW20. They are pretty much non existent now, especially in the US. That's why I have gone with 17s. The only tyre I can find to fit 15s is Toyo T1R and you guys can't get them.

But great for the AW11. :dopey:

Are the adapters that hard to find? I've not researched them. Nor the SW20 setup, but that's a shame. What are you currently running on yours? I think I'd prefer that look albeit with 16 inch wheels.

But hey as long as they work on the AW11. :P

SVX

True, and PA has pretty terrible roads.

You can get adapters but the 5x114.3 to 4x100 don't exist because they are physically impossible to build.

16s have limited tyres too. I run 17x8+37 with 215/40R17 and 17x9+29 with 245/40R17 Bridgestone RE003. Seems like they aren't available in the US but the RE11 is. Other tyres can be had in these sizes, I counted about 7 when doing research.

Yea I'd really like to have done that sooner, but really it doesn't matter too much when I decide to do it, it's not gonna get worse and it's not too bad to begin with.

But yup, always loved SW20s and I'd love to own one. My dad owns a 1991 T top NA and it's a really fun car to drive, although for me the AW11 is more enjoyable. One day I'll own one myself, and I'd love to find a t top car. We have 3 that come into work now so I've worked on them plenty of times and mostly know what to expect, plus my Celica has the same engine so I'm pretty familiar with them to begin with.

Well you never know, American Winter weather can be pretty harsh... I mean it does snow like crazy in some places, moreso than where I live. But if you say it's not going to get worse... Here's hoping, then.

And your dad keeps on delivering with the sporty Toyotas, should've know about ther as well, haha. :lol:
Joke aside, nice to hear you like them, I'm sure GD will have some sweet repair strats for you if you ever go down that route. Obviously you'd deal with a more luxurious and slightly less sporty car than the AW11 (such is the price of luxury in a sports car), but it would have less to worry about too. And as you said, knowing the Celica is a good way to know how the SW20 works... Not to mention your dad owns one, which pretty much serves as all the training you'd ever need, haha!

You can get adapters but the 5x114.3 to 4x100 don't exist because they are physically impossible to build.

16s have limited tyres too. I run 17x8+37 with 215/40R17 and 17x9+29 with 245/40R17 Bridgestone RE003. Seems like they aren't available in the US but the RE11 is. Other tyres can be had in these sizes, I counted about 7 when doing research.

Oh I thought SW20s had 4 lugs for some reason, I meant 4x100 to 4x114.3.

Really? Find that odd that 16s wouldn't have too much available. Even 15s seem to have a number of options when I was looking at tires. Unless the car came with 17s or bigger factory, I don't think I'd go above a 16 inch wheel personally, I prefer smaller wheels.

Well you never know, American Winter weather can be pretty harsh... I mean it does snow like crazy in some places, moreso than where I live. But if you say it's not going to get worse... Here's hoping, then.

And your dad keeps on delivering with the sporty Toyotas, should've know about ther as well, haha. :lol:
Joke aside, nice to hear you like them, I'm sure GD will have some sweet repair strats for you if you ever go down that route. Obviously you'd deal with a more luxurious and slightly less sporty car than the AW11 (such is the price of luxury in a sports car), but it would have less to worry about too. And as you said, knowing the Celica is a good way to know how the SW20 works... Not to mention your dad owns one, which pretty much serves as all the training you'd ever need, haha!

I have it parked under a car port, so I don't think the weather should affect it. Definitely not taking it out until the salt is all washed away sometime in the spring.

Yup as always haha, I'm glad I've gotten to drive one before opting to buy one. The only requirements for one of those for me would be t tops and no power steering, his has power steering unfortunately and the steering feels way too numb, and like my '86, it's not a car that needs it. The one customers at works car feels much better without it from the little bit I drove it. The interior is a bit more comfy which is nice, but the AW11 isn't a bad place to be by a long shot. As far as working on it, it's just as simple as a Celica albeit everything is in a slightly more annoying area to access and there's not as much room, plus the cooling system is a bit complex to bleed due to being MR.. But I've always said if I lived in California I'd daily drive an SW20 and there's a good reason for it!

I have it parked under a car port, so I don't think the weather should affect it. Definitely not taking it out until the salt is all washed away sometime in the spring.

Yup as always haha, I'm glad I've gotten to drive one before opting to buy one. The only requirements for one of those for me would be t tops and no power steering, his has power steering unfortunately and the steering feels way too numb, and like my '86, it's not a car that needs it. The one customers at works car feels much better without it from the little bit I drove it. The interior is a bit more comfy which is nice, but the AW11 isn't a bad place to be by a long shot. As far as working on it, it's just as simple as a Celica albeit everything is in a slightly more annoying area to access and there's not as much room, plus the cooling system is a bit complex to bleed due to being MR.. But I've always said if I lived in California I'd daily drive an SW20 and there's a good reason for it!

Oh, I stand corrected, then. With that sort of storage, it's unlikely the body will get any worse for the time being, unless something terrible happens next to the port...

No power steering? Bold decision, but I guess you favor steering feel at higher speeds than comfort at lower ones. As I mentioned, the SW20 was designed as a more luxurious MR2 than the AW11, which probably explains the focus on driving comfort. Why the T-tops, though? You didn't quite explain that requirement, so I ask that question out of curiosity.

You may not live in Cali, but such dedication for Toyotas isn't really gonna stop you from owning a SW20 in good ol'PA, now will it? :sly: :lol:

Oh I thought SW20s had 4 lugs for some reason, I meant 4x100 to 4x114.3.

Really? Find that odd that 16s wouldn't have too much available. Even 15s seem to have a number of options when I was looking at tires. Unless the car came with 17s or bigger factory, I don't think I'd go above a 16 inch wheel personally, I prefer smaller wheels.

Small wheels are fine but you'd preferably need to stagger the widths like the factory wheels are. 6" front and 7" rear. They don't run a square setup like the AW11.
Sure you can still get tires in the sizes you need but an SW20 needs proper tyres or they just don't drive right and can fall off the road backwards. Especially the early cars. The factory tires on the 14" wheels were Bridgestone RE71 and the 15" wheels were Bridgestone RE010 so very good for back then.

16s are just an odd size for lots of cars with performance tyres now so tire manufactures don't make them as much.

17x7+35 front and 17x8+35 rear are a good size for the SW20 and these run 215/40R17 and 235/40R17 fine.

You can run anything you want but to keep you and other drivers around you safe stay with good tyres as these are the only thing connecting the car to the road.

Oh, I stand corrected, then. With that sort of storage, it's unlikely the body will get any worse for the time being, unless something terrible happens next to the port...

No power steering? Bold decision, but I guess you favor steering feel at higher speeds than comfort at lower ones. As I mentioned, the SW20 was designed as a more luxurious MR2 than the AW11, which probably explains the focus on driving comfort. Why the T-tops, though? You didn't quite explain that requirement, so I ask that question out of curiosity.

You may not live in Cali, but such dedication for Toyotas isn't really gonna stop you from owning a SW20 in good ol'PA, now will it? :sly: :lol:

Let's hope not!

Honestly without power steering, you only notice it when completely stopped, even moving extremely slowly the steering isn't unreasonably heavy, and at a complete stop it's easy to turn compared to anything I've ever driven without it. But I just love the t tops, gives a nice airy open feel to the car but doesn't ruin the look like a convertible does imo. I always remember cruising his SW20 around some backroads on a really nice summer evening with the tops out and enjoying the hell out of it.

Hasn't stopped me from owning an AW11! Just wish you didn't have to store them away for half of the year.

Small wheels are fine but you'd preferably need to stagger the widths like the factory wheels are. 6" front and 7" rear. They don't run a square setup like the AW11.
Sure you can still get tires in the sizes you need but an SW20 needs proper tyres or they just don't drive right and can fall off the road backwards. Especially the early cars. The factory tires on the 14" wheels were Bridgestone RE71 and the 15" wheels were Bridgestone RE010 so very good for back then.

16s are just an odd size for lots of cars with performance tyres now so tire manufactures don't make them as much.

17x7+35 front and 17x8+35 rear are a good size for the SW20 and these run 215/40R17 and 235/40R17 fine.

You can run anything you want but to keep you and other drivers around you safe stay with good tyres as these are the only thing connecting the car to the road.

Ah didn't know they ran a staggered setup.. Seems I need to research SW20s a bit more before the time comes to own one. Have experienced this though, my dads SW20 has some junk tires on it and he has had to backend come around more than once.. Some proper tires would benefit that car a lot.

But that makes sense, now that you say that I do notice a lot more 15s or 17s on cars than 16s.

But yea that's understandable, on a car like that tires are even more important. I have learned just how much of a difference performance tires make from my Celica, that car really livens up with some nice tires on it. Can't wait to see what my AW11 is like this spring when I get the Falkens!

Let's hope not!

Honestly without power steering, you only notice it when completely stopped, even moving extremely slowly the steering isn't unreasonably heavy, and at a complete stop it's easy to turn compared to anything I've ever driven without it. But I just love the t tops, gives a nice airy open feel to the car but doesn't ruin the look like a convertible does imo. I always remember cruising his SW20 around some backroads on a really nice summer evening with the tops out and enjoying the hell out of it.

Hasn't stopped me from owning an AW11! Just wish you didn't have to store them away for half of the year.

I have my fingers crossed, just in case...

So it's more of a safety thing for power steering to be in the SW20...? If it isn't uncomfortable moving at slow speeds without it, then that's the only reason why one would want to keep it... And I guess getting a T-top means the car is a little better prepared to deal with other kinds of weather than a full-on convertible. If anything, it's easier to set up in case the weather gets bad... And the folding roof won't look like a half-arsed Camry convertible conversion. :lol:

Well, at least you know how to keep it away from bad weather, really. As long as it has a heated "house" to live in...

I have my fingers crossed, just in case...

So it's more of a safety thing for power steering to be in the SW20...? If it isn't uncomfortable moving at slow speeds without it, then that's the only reason why one would want to keep it... And I guess getting a T-top means the car is a little better prepared to deal with other kinds of weather than a full-on convertible. If anything, it's easier to set up in case the weather gets bad... And the folding roof won't look like a half-arsed Camry convertible conversion. :lol:

Well, at least you know how to keep it away from bad weather, really. As long as it has a heated "house" to live in...

Appreciate it :P

Eh, probably more just American preferences. It kills the steering feel a lot when driving which is a real shame, though even my Celica has overly assisted power steering. But yea, I just like the t top driving experience, I was honestly hoping to find an AW11 with them, but I'd also rather have an early AW11 which didn't have the option so.. I guess I'm more glad I found an earlier version than one with t tops I guess. Would like a beater with t tops one day.

Unfortunately one of my 80s cars has to sit outside in the winter, but at least it has a car port.

T-Tops are awesome in the summer but leak in the rain. Easy fix though so not really an issue.
The T-Top chassis is heavier and not as stiff but still makes for great fun.

T-Tops are awesome in the summer but leak in the rain. Easy fix though so not really an issue.
The T-Top chassis is heavier and not as stiff but still makes for great fun.

In my current situation I have two garage spots plus a car port so shouldn't be too big an issue, I have heard even with brand new seals the t tops still have a tendency to leak.

As far as it being heavier, as previously mentioned I'm mostly just driving around backroads so that little extra weight isn't too big an issue, not like I'm tracking it or anything seriously. I'll gladly take the more enjoyable driving experience over a slight difference in weight and stiffness. I've never pushed my dads too hard, but from when I have driven it a bit hard it felt great.

As far as it being heavier, as previously mentioned I'm mostly just driving around backroads so that little extra weight isn't too big an issue, not like I'm tracking it or anything seriously. I'll gladly take the more enjoyable driving experience over a slight difference in weight and stiffness. I've never pushed my dads too hard, but from when I have driven it a bit hard it felt great.

And besides, you already have a sharper, sportier MR2 to drive, so it's not that big of a loss, right? A future SW20 could just work as a not-quite-weekends-but-still-worth-driving-in-a-mountain-road-car (whew! :dopey: :lol:), while the AW11 is that car that makes you fall in love with mid-engined sports cars every thing you turn on the key.

Appreciate it :P

Eh, probably more just American preferences. It kills the steering feel a lot when driving which is a real shame, though even my Celica has overly assisted power steering. But yea, I just like the t top driving experience, I was honestly hoping to find an AW11 with them, but I'd also rather have an early AW11 which didn't have the option so.. I guess I'm more glad I found an earlier version than one with t tops I guess. Would like a beater with t tops one day.

Unfortunately one of my 80s cars has to sit outside in the winter, but at least it has a car port.

You'd better... :sly:

But there are other markets where the SW20 has power steering, so it can't just be an 'Murican thing. Maybe the power steering settings are, but not the power steering itself. Toyota knew their market, what can I say...?
So I guess you just prefer the T-top for being a T-top I guess, haha. But hey, there are a few of those knocking around, if you know where to look. Of course, GD's words about them being leaky are useful (what did I tell you? He knows... :sly:).

Well, at least it's not the Allante... Some sacrifices must be made to protect the mighty Caddy. :P :lol:

And besides, you already have a sharper, sportier MR2 to drive, so it's not that big of a loss, right? A future SW20 could just work as a not-quite-weekends-but-still-worth-driving-in-a-mountain-road-car (whew! :dopey: :lol:), while the AW11 is that car that makes you fall in love with mid-engined sports cars every thing you turn on the key.

You'd better... :sly:

But there are other markets where the SW20 has power steering, so it can't just be an 'Murican thing. Maybe the power steering settings are, but not the power steering itself. Toyota knew their market, what can I say...?
So I guess you just prefer the T-top for being a T-top I guess, haha. But hey, there are a few of those knocking around, if you know where to look. Of course, GD's words about them being leaky are useful (what did I tell you? He knows... :sly:).

Well, at least it's not the Allante... Some sacrifices must be made to protect the mighty Caddy. :P :lol:

I mean I'm not saying that about SW20s, I think they're incredibly nice cars to drive, but for me the AW11 is a bit more fun and basic. Not to mention the engine is better by a mile.

Haha for sure. Yea, I'm just a t top fan and I've never owned anything that had them, so definitely on my list.

Yup that'll always be inside!

Back