I'm a dumb noob and I have dumb noob questions

United States
United States
New to this game, new to the series in general. I played Prologue and I think GT6 on the PS3 a little bit years ago and they never grabbed me. I am really enjoying this game, and I wasn't sure that I would, but it's so much more exciting that I remember the other GT games being.

I'm not new to racing sims, I've played a lot of Forza, Dirt and the old Project Gotham series. So I'm not coming into the game like a total waste of oxygen. Still I have questions that I can't find good answers to so far.

Question 1: Where are all the wheels? I know they must exist because I see them in other peoples' liveries, but I can only see like 12 or 14 types in the Mileage Exchange and most of the time, most of those aren't even allowed for the car I'm trying to put them on. Am I missing a bunch of content? Should I have downloaded the Spec 2 game instead of the regular one?

2: Really struggling with the mission (I think it's in the missions, or maybe the driving school) where you have to use your fuel management. I've finished twice like umpteen times, can never manage to finish first. My general strategy has been to save fuel for the bulk of the race and then go full power close to the end but I've never been able to find the point that gives me enough time to pass the last car and enough gas to finish the race under power.

3: Online etiquette: I haven't played online yet, and being a noob I don't want to go in pissing off people when I accidentally bump them or have a stupid crash. I know I'll probably get smoked at the beginning too. Is there a way to ease into online play.

ETA: Whoops, one more thing. Is there a way in the livery editor to group layers together, then flip the whole group and put it on the other side of the car? I can't for the life of me figure it out, although I'm sure the option has to be there.

Last edited:
New to this game, new to the series in general. I played Prologue and I think GT6 on the PS3 a little bit years ago and they never grabbed me. I am really enjoying this game, and I wasn't sure that I would, but it's so much more exciting that I remember the other GT games being.

I'm not new to racing sims, I've played a lot of Forza, Dirt and the old Project Gotham series. So I'm not coming into the game like a total waste of oxygen. Still I have questions that I can't find good answers to so far.

Question 1: Where are all the wheels? I know they must exist because I see them in other peoples' liveries, but I can only see like 12 or 14 types in the Mileage Exchange and most of the time, most of those aren't even allowed for the car I'm trying to put them on. Am I missing a bunch of content? Should I have downloaded the Spec 2 game instead of the regular one?

2: Really struggling with the mission (I think it's in the missions, or maybe the driving school) where you have to use your fuel management. I've finished twice like umpteen times, can never manage to finish first. My general strategy has been to save fuel for the bulk of the race and then go full power close to the end but I've never been able to find the point that gives me enough time to pass the last car and enough gas to finish the race under power.

3: Online etiquette: I haven't played online yet, and being a noob I don't want to go in pissing off people when I accidentally bump them or have a stupid crash. I know I'll probably get smoked at the beginning too. Is there a way to ease into online play.

ETA: Whoops, one more thing. Is there a way in the livery editor to group layers together, then flip the whole group and put it on the other side of the car? I can't for the life of me figure it out, although I'm sure the option has to be there.
Q1: The wheels, paint chips etc in the mileage exchange change every week or so. It takes time to build up a good collection. I'm not sure of the exact time frame as I only really go in there when my points are maxed out to spend some on **** I'll never use/

Q2: You mean the one on Tokyo Expressway? If I remember correctly I leaned the mix off a bit on the slow sections & short shifted all race. I had it full fuel on the straights. It took 5 or 6 goes to get it right.

Q3: Just dive in. It will be a bit of a demolition derby to start with anyway regardless of how you drive yourself. It gets cleaner as you move up the rankings.

Q4: No idea. The extent of my livery experience is doing enough colour changes to tick off the achievement bonus & taking other peoples creations from the discover section.

Last edited:
No, you cannot group decals. You have to copy them over individually to the other side of the car.

In answer to the questions:

1. Wheels are in Mileage Exchange and rotate on a weekly basis, it will take approximately 3 months or so to go through the full cycle and for the cars you have about an 8 week rotation period and for paint chips it will take approx 12 months to collect all paint.

2. Fuel saving comes with experience, you are best doing some practice in custom race arcade mode or doing Daily Race C's online where fuel management is on to get better used to this as it changes between cars some are better than others but keeping it higher is always better.

3. Online is chaos so it don't matter how you start out, the main thing is just enjoy races and if you feel happy with your style continue, make sure not to deliberately hit other players and you should be fine in an online race.

4. As for the livery editor if you are doing a livery with layers you cannot flip them all at the same time they have to be done individually so create on one side of the car and then flip each piece as you do it and this should then show the complete layer effect on the opposite side.

3. Don't touch other cars, the penalty system will teach you that one very quickly. Also don't go off course, that's also a penalty and those can kill your chances of gaining position if you keep being sloppy.

Basically, learn the track. Don't enter a race unless you know the track well...that means LOTS of qualifying laps. Learn braking points and gear shifts, experiment with car settings, play like you're actually racing irl.

Last edited:

For the fuel-saving challenge, I've generally found that short-shifting is easier and often just as effective as fuel-mapping in this game. Maybe turn down the fuel map when you get in someone's slipstream but other than that just shift before the rev meter fills up.

I completely understand your sentiment about online etiquette and such, I had the same worries before I started playing online. I was worried about ruining somebody else's race because of my crappy driving. The reality is that you just have to dive in head first. The AI isn't really going to prepare you for online play and a significant minority of online drivers don't care too much about hitting other people anyways.

I would take the time to study some of the top 10 replays - they're available to watch off the leaderboards for both the daily and FIA races - and watch some YouTubers. There's several that give excellent advice in addition to getting to watch their replays, there's also several lap guides for each track. In particular, @Mistah_MCA does a guide for every race that's worth it's weight in gold. I highly recommend it.

Back