I'm thinking about standard cars in GT7

• Thread starter Illogical
  • 521 comments
See, what you're doing there Zelalem is comparing Forzavista with GT's photomode. I said on track from the start. You can't compare a FM5 menu car to a normal car model from GT6. It's like comparing Crysis 3 to CoD 3 in that aspect. Being on track is the most important part of the game (as it's where you play it) and is where the models are shown for how they really are. It is what I am trying to point out.

I can make games look bad too by selective photo choice... Here's my rendition.

nq73wo.jpg

167wb9l.jpg

As you see, GT looks far better. But it's from selective photo choice. Not the actual game itself. My photos of examples have been simply taken from the game as they stand. Nothing more, no editing, no selective choice.

Here is a comparison between GT6, FM5 and pCARS as they look in game. Current-gen vs Next-gen vs High-end PC

2r23zbt.jpg

As you see, Gran Turismo is not that far off the other games and with just tiniest bit of work, without remodelling, it can be as good. Plus, Forza 5 doesn't look that much better graphically. Project CARS only looks as good as it does at the minute because of the gaming PC specs it's been made for.

My original point remains. The current car models are sufficient canvases to make a Next-Gen game from.

I know this has gone wildly off-topic now so forgive me OP creator.

[Edit] Nicely done mate in changing your argument to "Nevermind". ;)

They can upgrade the standards all they want in GT6, but I do not want to see any of them in GT7.

Put those pictures in motion and GT6 falls even further behind.

Yes, because of the environments they are in. Not the cars themselves. You need to forget about the tracks, the lighting, all of that stuff and only focus on the car models. That is my point, which seems to be forgotten each time. So here, I've done it for you. Simple models of the cars and nothing more...

o5ox7q.jpg

a3ihs7.jpg

Again, with some slight work they can keep up because there isn't that much difference between the two at this current stage.

Those flaws exist at all angles and all resolutions. Wheel well flaws aren't hidden in the least.

I race them and I love them, and I see them just fine thank you. If I didn't, I wouldn't have taken pics of them, and I sure wouldn't lie about wanting them in GT7. Why would I ask PD to waste time on something I had no desire for, when they could spend effort on something I DO?

Human beings, I swear...

See, what you're doing there Zelalem is comparing Forzavista with GT's photomode. I said on track from the start. You can't compare a FM5 menu car to a normal car model from GT6.
The GT picture was in photo travel mode.
Edit] Nicely done mate in changing your argument to "Nevermind". ;)
I decided to edit my post, because this is not a FM vs GT thread.
Again, with some slight work they can keep up because there isn't that much difference between the two at this current stage.
Do you know this, because you modeled cars in the past or is this an assumption?

Great comparison @emula. 👍 GT6 and FM5 really aren't all that far off from each other, but there are some parts I like better in GT. Such as the Ferrari F40's tail lights, you can see the detail better on it in GT6 whereas in FM5 you hardly can see it. Also the Viper and 300sl ones. Is it me, or does FM5's models still look inaccurate, although I don't care much about that but it is noticeable.

One thing I like in FM5 over GT6, is that it has the Yas Marina Circuit! :D

All in all, this isn't the thread to compare both games, but again, the comparison was good. :)

Those flaws exist at all angles and all resolutions. Wheel well flaws aren't hidden in the least.

I race them and I love them, and I see them just fine thank you. If I didn't, I wouldn't have taken pics of them, and I sure wouldn't lie about wanting them in GT7. Why would I ask PD to waste time on something I had no desire for, when they could spend effort on something I DO?

Human beings, I swear...

No, the flaws are much easier to see if you upload photos in full resolution, that's rather obvious. It's also obvious if you take it from the most favourable angles and distance it will look better. Suffice to say you don't play the game at that low resolution nor from those distances. Even so, those pictures you can see plenty of nastiness and frankly if you think those will look fine next to cars of this detail in environments this detailed you're only kidding yourself.

Forza5_GamesReview_Gameplay_01.jpg

And that is running on the weaker Xbox One hardware. On PS4 it should look even better. And you want to place assets like this in the middle of that?

2396518-0841398323-GT6_s.jpg

Yeah, sure. By the way those are actual full 1920x1080 screenshots. Click 'em.

This really is fascinating, how well GT6 stands up to a next gen competitor. Has anyone compared Battlefield 2 running on a dual core Intel with a GeForce 7800 to BF4 on a quad core i5 and a GeForce GT600?

PS3 is ancient history in computing terms, but it's hard to tell from the way GT6 looks. I can hardly wait to see what PD can accomplish on PS4.

And you want to place assets like this in the middle of that?
Yes. Yes I do. If that bothers you, oh well.

Now whatever PD does I'll have to accept. But if they continue giving us sub-Premium cars in GT7, one of us will be happy, and the other is going to need some Pepto.

Those are premium cars. This thread is about standard cars, which I showed. Yes the screenshot was slightly fuzzy but it still shows the car model in it's low quality.

If you're trying to compare the visual aspects of the standard cars to the cars shown in Forza, you could at least put them in similar conditions. The standard car will always look worse, but fairness is needed.

Well, like I said in the past. I think Polyphony is going to simply dump all of the standards with the exception of the ones they significantly improved such as the Rufs & Ford RS200s. Those improved standards will be possibly given interiors and be cleaned up a bit more to become premiums. Also, standards aren't really a necessity for them I think as GT7 will possibly have 500-600 cars including the premiums that are in GT5/6 now & whatever models they're working on at the moment.

In the end though, I'm more worried about whether or not Polyphony will actually remember how to create a huge career mode like in GT3/4 and try to make the AI more challenging.

EDIT: One more thing to say; I agree with everyone else about if PD actually does keep the standards for the GT7, they definitely have lost their marbles if that occurs.

This really is fascinating, how well GT6 stands up to a next gen competitor. Has anyone compared Battlefield 2 running on a dual core Intel with a GeForce 7800 to BF4 on a quad core i5 and a GeForce GT600?

PS3 is ancient history in computing terms, but it's hard to tell from the way GT6 looks. I can hardly wait to see what PD can accomplish on PS4.

To you, maybe. To other people, there is a huge visible difference.

Yes. Yes I do. If that bothers you, oh well.

Now whatever PD does I'll have to accept. But if they continue giving us sub-Premium cars in GT7, one of us will be happy, and the other is going to need some Pepto.

You've not explained why. Why is that acceptable to you? You can't deny there is a huge gulf in quality between those car models, why doesn't that bother you? Yet right above you're clamoring for better graphics on the PS4? Why, if the PS3 and PS2 models are fine for you?

If you're trying to compare the visual aspects of the standard cars to the cars shown in Forza, you could at least put them in similar conditions. The standard car will always look worse, but fairness is needed.

I don't have time to trawl google for comparative lighting, which is irrelevent to how the car model looks. You could place that Impreza in a sunset, it would still look bloody awful compared to the F5 models.

Maybe emula is a better pic-clicker.

You've not explained why. Why is that acceptable to you? You can't deny there is a huge gulf in quality between those car models, why doesn't that bother you? Yet right above you're clamoring for better graphics on the PS4? Why, if the PS3 and PS2 models are fine for you?
I've explained why plenty of times. I love GT5's and 6's variety. I dislike GT3's lack of it.

What they're going to give us in GT7, who knows? If it's 5-600-plus Premium only cars, I'll buy it. If it's 13-1400-plus mixed breeds, I'll buy it. If you don't, it's no skin off my nose.

I don't have time to trawl google for comparative lighting, which is irrelevent to how the car model looks. You could place that Impreza in a sunset, it would still look bloody awful compared to the F5 models.

I'm just saying, I understand that and in no way am I trying to defend Polyphony's standard cars or whatever, but an unbaised sample is necessary.

GT6 and FM5 may be close at some points but mostly because XBOne is not so good. Ps4 is more powerfull so graphics will look better. But what is really important is light and shadows to be as accurate so it looks real.
And im sure PD wants to put alot better resolution for cars. Sorry to bring this up but they need to handle 4k in photomode.
Still, standards can survive i think but with restrictions how you can use them.

Maybe emula is a better pic-clicker.

What? Emula has only posted premium cars, irrelevant to the point I was making, that is standard cars alongside PS4 quality car models.

I'm just saying, I understand that and in no way am I trying to defend Polyphony's standard cars or whatever, but an unbaised sample is necessary.

Why? The environment doesn't affect the 3D vehicle model. But by all means, if someone can show me a comparative GT6 standard car that would look acceptable alongside cars in the same quality or better than F5 I'd be happy to see it.

What? Emula has only posted premium cars, irrelevant to the point I was making, that is standard cars alongside PS4 quality car models.

I would like to see that too. Would be an interesting to see the differences and gaps. But what about the RUF Yellowbird? Is that still classified as a standard?

Why? The environment doesn't affect the 3D vehicle model. But by all means, if someone can show me a comparative GT6 standard car that would look acceptable alongside cars in the same quality or better than F5 I'd be happy to see it.

Shadows and lighting can deceive the eye. As well as the point of view. A GT6 standard car would never look acceptable compared to Forza 5 car though! I mention again the RUF, looked pretty acceptable. If it counts.

If the Oscar Meyer wiener truck that people posted as a GT5 meme was in GT7 you'd race the hell out of it proclaim how great a job PD did capturing its essence and laud them as geniuses yet again because of it.
You have spoken utter and complete truth. ;)

Back