Important Changes to Sport Mode

I knew it was something more but I couldn't recall exactly what it was. Either way, people seem to have some silly idea that its somehow as simple as PD just going "Nope, you're not allowed"
It's a joint effort of PD, Sony and FIA of course and the there is some background story and history why I wrote it like that.

I not like for this change, for Asian i'd prefer server move from Japan to Singapore so Oceania side still can with us on Asia server. Or thing like bring SEA together with Oceania side, okay this sound stupid but maybe will work for connection issue.

Other thing I really want to ask: why India on EMEA side? isn't more near go to Asia rather than go to EMEA?
SCEE (or whatever it's named now) covers India.

Personally too, I would have seen East Asia and SEA split too; in addition to connection issues, I don't really see SEA players standing a chance against Japanese players. During the Nations Cup there was no SEA representative (to be fair, there was no Middle East/African rep either). Ideally, the East/SE Asia split would look like this:

East Asia: Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Korea
South East Asia: Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand

EDIT: Per @Spongeinside suggestion, it would also result in this:

Europe: UK, Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Spain, Russia, Poland, Greece, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia, Slovenia, Kuwait, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania, Malta, Cyprus, Slovakia, Iceland, Israel
Middle East, Africa, and India: UAE, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Lebanon, Oman, India

Most of us are adverse to change regardless if it's a positive or not.I initially thought the change from daily to weekly races was a bad idea,now not so.I'm sure PD would appreciate GTP as a whole being a little more supportive and working with them as well to keep improving GTS .They obviously are trying to address the issues with game.:gtpflag:

The additional races won’t make much difference in the results. You’ll still have the same aliens who live in this game and will only become more dominant. There may be a handful of people that get a slight benefit from getting the extra races, but the vast majority will still toil in obscurity.

I like the idea of being able to join multiple races. Many times you have at least one guy who seems to ruin the race for everyone else. At least now you will have a chance to at best get a better result or at worst get a cleaner race. I'm all for it.

Keith.

Damn,when i first heard about the multiple FIA races i thought it was a good idea but reading this thread it seems i was a bit wrong lol,i thought that with multiple races people who were punted or were disconnected would have a second chance and not throw their championship away,i remember Tidgney trying to qualify for Manufacturers with his Pug and lost one FIA round because he was punted on Turn 1 and lost another round because he was disconnected(Round 10 i think).

But i didn't take into account how people with little time won't have a chance competing against people who can race in all slots,maybe altering the points scale after you do the first race could be the solution for this?Example: People who were disconnected get the same amount of points in their second race,people who weren't disconnected and are doing a second FIA race get less points.

I have no idea how the Region matchmaking changes will work, but i smaller pool of players will not be a good thing imho.

The silver lining here is that there is enough time for them to see the effects of these changes so they can change it before the championship starts.

Damn,when i first heard about the multiple FIA races i thought it was a good idea but reading this thread it seems i was a bit wrong lol,i thought that with multiple races people who were punted or were disconnected would have a second chance and not throw their championship away,i remember Tidgney trying to qualify for Manufacturers with his Pug and lost one FIA round because he was punted on Turn 1 and lost another round because he was disconnected(Round 10 i think).

But i didn't take into account how people with little time won't have a chance competing against people who can race in all slots,maybe altering the points scale after you do the first race could be the solution for this?Example: People who were disconnected get the same amount of points in their second race,people who weren't disconnected and are doing a second FIA race get less points.
Yes, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

It does give those, perhaps predominantly in the lower DR rank races, to have a decent go at completing the race instead of being punted off.
It must be frustrating to have put some practice in only to have your one shot at the race ruined through no fault of your own.
Sure, "that's racing", but this isn't exactly like real life racing, and some people simply aren't that good or just don't care.

As for being unfair, I guess there could be that argument.
But the goal behind these races is to score points.
And the amount of points you score is down to your finishing position and the strength of the field in that race.
So it's already a bit of a luck of the draw as to how many points you can score, even if you win.

And even if you enter all 5, the only way to improve that score is to perform better against better drivers, in the best scoring room for the day.
So it's no given that entering all 5 races means you're going to get a huge advantage and get excessive points you don't deserve.

There's every chance that some people could/should have scored more points than they did (when it was one shot only) simply because they were unlucky and happened to be entered into a lower strength room anyway.
So maybe this might give those people another shot at it.

I'm happy to see how this goes before poo-pooing it straight away.

Here's an attempt to find some positive outcomes:
  • Maybe a test to help solve disconnection issues.
  • Less latency should create better racing.
  • Better time schedule for each region.
  • With multiple entries in the FIA events, points might be more consistent between time slots.
  • More opportunities to race in the FIA events! (Which I think is the best part of the whole game.)
  • Changes keep the game from getting boring.
  • With the breakup of regions, more people could have a chance to attend live events.
  • PD has tweaked the format so many times already, I'd be willing to bet the format will change again before the official 2019 season.

I don't get disconnected but I do get stupid glitches where I get booted to the main menu before the track finally loads. I'll be matched up with a lobby and players, and when the track is finally about to load, it kicks me to the main menu

Happened wednesday and it was infuriating because it was the last race of the night and I really needed to do it. Practiced for no reason basically.

Being able to enter more than one race per night wouldn't have saved me there, but it will in other situations. That's the only good thing about this update because the region changes I think are awful. Especially for south american players. It's really unfair and it's going to make the matchmaking worse for everyone

It had this but yeah, I could see how that would irritate...

I'm starting to warm up to the separate servers idea. One observation from driving in low SR.A for a while is, there are proportionally a lot more South Americans in the lower SR ranks. It's just anecdotal non evidence. Next week will be a good test on Monza when the separation happens mid week. It would be better if the penalty system would do the job yet apparently PD has given up on that and is blaming lag... There was nothing laggy about the guy that punted me off twice.

First i thought it was major changes to the game. But all good for the players playing online in sport mode. I don't have Much intrest in it. I don't mind having fia as part of the game. But what i have a problem with is that Fia is almost based on the hole game. Cutting many good features out like
upgrade parts and Gt auto.

Hmm, this is from a while ago, yet I doubt much has changed
raWc.jpg

vaWc.jpg

USA + Canada = 16.8%, leaves 4.1% for South America.
Australia + New Zealand 3.3%.

Matchmaking is really going to suffer now outside Europe. Is PD expecting a massive influx of players from BF?
On days with FIA races, sport mode is going to be barren in some regions.

Those are player of the GAME stats, not Sport Mode stats. Barely 100,000 play Sport Mode weekly. https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=weekly_sport_activity
There is no stat on location of ongoing regular Sport Mode participation. I'd make an educated guess that the US, being pretty wealthy (and wasteful!) probably has a higher percentage of purchasers no longer playing...

But, on the whole, I'd prefer lower pings over higher participation across regions if the game cannot detect laggers and boot them. GTS's penalty detection seems utterly incapable of detecting ping problems and hands out sometimes draconian penalties for incidents where ping and connection is the only reason they occurred.

I played tonight and there were no changes, I was still racing vs. South Americans and it I don’t think it let me race again. What’s the story?

Edit: Not that I minded playing vs South Americans, they have many clean racers:)

OK two questions:

1-With this update, will the daily races still be weekly or are they changing again back to Daily?

2-Is there a way to change your region and make the game think you're from another country?

OK two questions:

1-With this update, will the daily races still be weekly or are they changing again back to Daily?

2-Is there a way to change your region and make the game think you're from another country?

1-They haven’t announced anything about it.

2-You can’t change the region of an existing PSN account. But yeah, the game believes you are from the region of your PSN account, even if you are across the world.

So I hope I'm wrong, but I've got a bad feeling this is pretty much the end for Aus/NZ.
The player pool is going to be so pathetically small for daily races the game will just die off down here.

Or maybe it'll be like a big private lobby where everybody knows everybody else?

Aus/nz will probably have their own server with 5bars quality. what a relieve for them, and they no longer have to face the mighty Japanese

So I hope I'm wrong, but I've got a bad feeling this is pretty much the end for Aus/NZ.
The player pool is going to be so pathetically small for daily races the game will just die off down here.

Or maybe it'll be like a big private lobby where everybody knows everybody else?
The second part is what I think about the change. The good thing about it is, the scarcity of poor players. There are some nice fast players that many can try to work up to. So, people will be forced to race with them. That's pretty much how the race community works in real life.
I'm mainly in it for the replays, but there are some players in which I know how they race and we can have some good clean racing.

At least, if you get disconnected then you get another chance to enter a Manufacturers or Nations cup race. However, it also means that competitors can improve throughout the evening. Part of the fun now, for me is trying to work out the best tyre strategy. Now you can run with one, see out it works and try again. Although, it also makes it harder to compete in both Cups effectively. I wonder why the Manufacturers and Nations Cup races are still help on the same dates?

2. You can now join the same race multiple times in each round.
You can now join the same race multiple times in each round of the "FIA-certified Gran Turismo Championships."

When joining the same race more than one time per round, players will receive points only for the race where they obtained the highest results.

Never been more conflicted - I've wanted this initially, but I'm still on the fence at this point.

We all have those races where nothing comes together, you get punted or whatever else. That sucks, especially when racing on a track I'm good at and looked forward to all week.

On the other hand, I'm one of those people who tends to do many practice sessions in advance, just like you'd be expected to if you actually cared about your performance. And sometimes, that in itself pays dividends. There's also something to be said about the way it affects racing behaviour. It makes sense to risk more now in some situations since you get a redo if you snuff it - and I can see that leading to a few racing incidents.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the long run.

The current system that counts only your best results throughout the season is already effective against disconnections/bad luck/being hit on the first corner. Multiple chances for the same race will only benefit those with lots of time for the game and will mean that people like me won't be able to compete anymore. It's unfair, plain and simple, and an absurd idea. As much as I love GTS, these changes will force me to quit and if they eventually revert back to the current system, my interest will probably be gone by then.

This looks a bit misguided from PD/Sony.

The region "lock" is already farce. Look at Russia - it stretches from Japan over to Europe proper.

I'm assuming these changes are to help combat poor latency to their existing servers but this is going to come at the expense decent match ups. I have no problems with PD putting servers in more regions but I would like to see the match making decide on the server by taking into account the latency AND the strength of field as part of matching. Ditch the region lock entirely. Its stupid.

As for doing as many FIA races as you want. Hahahahahahahah. No.

Latest Posts

Back