inertia drift

i jsut did an inertia drift on seattle circuit, you know that wide corner?...after the second checkpoint, it was a proper inertia drift and it was perfect, i just wonder how many of you can inertia drift? i knwo the timing is difficult but everyone seems to just talk about exhibition...which kinda sucks.

an inertia drift is part of exibition, its just another way to enter a turn. of course people here can do it...and it's really no biggy.

using inertia to drift is using the cars natural tendencies to want to over-correct from a spin...when you harness this overcorrection you can use it to initiate another drift. and whats wrong with exhibition drift? thats what they do on initial D and D1, and those are the reasons people even like drifting.

so basically an Inertia drift is just linking two corners together? Like drifting an S-Turn as you're finished drifting the first corner...you turn a little bit in the other direction and the inertia causes the car to oversteer the opposite direction and you drift the second corner? I don't think I explained it right, but I know what you're talking about. I never really thought it had a name..it's just a basic part of drifting.

And Exhibition drifting is really the only drifting worth doing, since grip is faster 90% of the time, I don't see the point of any other type of drifting. (though drifting has it's place in racing...drifting through every corner wouldn't be the fastest way around the track)

i dont think you guys no what im talking about, but never mind. so what do you call the drift where you dont stop for the corner and heasd for it aas fast as possible? ive a got a book on drifting.

so what do you call the drift where you dont stop for the corner and heasd for it aas fast as possible? ive a got a book on drifting.

What is the technical explanation?

LanEvo is correct, what do you mean we don't know what you're talking about?

lol, ya i can see his civic upside down at teh bottom of a ravine, after falling off a mountain pass that looks like akina. And if u look inside the car u can see the e brake is still pulled all the way up. I hope that drifting book isn't a comic episode from initial d

It sounds like you're asking what the fastest way to enter a drift is, in which case there have already been numerous discussions. I don't think we need to beat that dead horse any longer.

oh i think what he's talking about is the 'suicide entry' from initial d where the 86 entered a corner at a fast speed and the tail gave out so he started to experience oversteer but he reversed it for the next turn... inertia drift. If so, that has been done b4 my friend, by most of the ppl on this forum too.

Didn't Takumi just steer right and then left with full throttle to lose traction and drift around the corner?

I read somewhere that Inertia Drift is an incorrect term too, something to do with the Japenese just call it drift, but the translation came from Initial D somehow.

Originally posted by Andrew Mackrodt
I read somewhere that Inertia Drift is an incorrect term too, something to do with the Japenese just call it drift, but the translation came from Initial D somehow.

I think you're right. The inertia I think referred to the linking of the corners. Using the inertia of the car to compress the rear suspension before you enter the following corner so that you can spring it around the other way and continue drifting. In the Initial D case, it was a very difficult corner to link, and Keisuke hesitated when Takumi just went. Takumi's line was slightly slower but blocked Keisuke and had a better entry for the following corner. Keisuke spun out trying to follow at the same speed. I think they just made up the term hoping people would figure it out, because honestly I can't think of a better term for what they wanted to describe.

As far as use, it's commonplace. It's not faster if the corners are really far apart, but if they're close together it's the only way to slide =)

Some people think that inertia drift is something that's so hard to do, but it's just linking the drifts together, that's all. It's sort of like feint drifting through a turn to prepare the car for the other turn. Of course, Initial D presented this pretty good :)

I have a short clip up. Here it is with me and my Supra RZ on Rome:
http://pergatory.net/gtp/Supra.3.WMV

After reading the subs on 19xx's post and reading Ethix101's post about linking (as well as Thio and maybe others) all Inertia drift is, is linking two corners together.

Originally posted by Andrew Mackrodt
After reading the subs on 19xx's post and reading Ethix101's post about linking (as well as Thio and maybe others) all Inertia drift is, is linking two corners together.

but that's basicly it.. linking..

initial D makes people think drift is faster than grip, so i guess them blowing up feint isn't really surprising lol

I don't think Initial D was blowing it up at all, they didn't really make a big deal about it. Keisuke just seemed surprised that Takumi would attempt it on that corner, that's all. Everyone always takes this stuff so out of context. If you don't assume that every single line in Initial D should be blown way out of proportion, then you will realize that everything they discuss is actually true.

wait, i aint finished with this, yet, do you wanty my to quote out of this book i have?! its about driving techniques, does anyone want me to quote what it says about drifT? i dont think you guys get it...anyone can drift a slow speeds, its about drifintg at fast speeds, which is harder, all you guys eva talk about is exhibition, but drifting aint just about making it look good, you can drift fast aswell.

i'll give you the fact that initialD makes drift look faster which it isn't but that dont mea drifting is slow

Why don't you just quote from your book to support your arguement. Also if you've watched Initial D they drift at low speeds, the game just exaggerates everything, also grip is faster than drift, whilst you can drift at high speeds grip is still faster, hence why the worlds best drivers (i.e. those in Formula 1, Nascar, TOCA etc) all use grip. It's true that rally drivers drift, but due to the conditions of what they race on its hard to maintain grip at those kinda speeds. Drifting isn't slow, it's just slower than grip in most cases. I guess most people say exhibition drifting because they know drift isn't as competitive as grip, so they try to show style in races which people like to see anyway, and most people still win racing exhibition anyway, so don't say it sucks, a lot of people who think they're drifting fast are just losing traction when they slam the gas around the corner because they haven't developed their style yet.

Anyway what's any of this got to to with the topic "inertia drift" ?

in order to chieve inertia drift you should drive towards the corner as fast as possible, faster than you would normally. if you find you are understeering you should begin to turn the car alittle early, then accelerate beyong the tyre drip limit and increase speed at the corner. be careful not to oversteer by accelerating too hard, and feed the car round the corner using the steering wheel and the accelerator.keep accelerating and countersteering, pushing the car forwards at breakneck speed, and slide the car beutifully around the corner. inertia drift can only be made at very high speeds so you need to be well prepared. you need to be looking ahead as far as you ca, soemhwere around the exit of the corner, and you need to have the skill and the confidence to control the car whateevr happens. in order to aquire this skill and confidence you will need to practise regularly on a daily basis, building up your skill as you go.

i have not finished, but this is a summary....i never said drift was faster than grip.

You have to enter corners at a higher speed to drift than you would if you were going to stay gripped to the road anyways. And drifting at a higher speed is actually easier than drifting slow because when you're going faster through the corner there's less chance for either too much or too little throttle and steering input, that's why people like to drift with sports cars more than slower 100 horsepower cars(yeah I know the 86 only has 130 but most people in GT3 mod it so it's got more power). And you do not have to go faster than a regular drift speed for that certain corner to link it to the next corner.

Back