inertia drift

damn right i was! i mean noone cares what im saying, they are just thinking....inertia drift....initial D.....that must be fake. but im talking about real inertia drift

Originally posted by KT_Mazda_Fd3s
if you have mastered drifitng using braking of feint motion, you should be at the stage where your drift technique is fairly advanced. a couple of things you can use to show off to impress the gallery are to counterstrift or maintain drift for a prolonged period. however, if you can master inertia drift you can really begin to excite the crowd. in inertia drift your car travells too fast for the tyres to grip on corners, and you have to control it as it slides sideways. you need to maintain your speed on the corners, controlling the drift by countersteering and accelerating hard to move forward. if you can manade to acheive it, you will find that inertia drift is the ideal cornering method, in other words, inertia drift is the ultimate in driving, te fastest, and the most beautiful to watch. it is an exciting combination of ostentation and speed.

Sounds a little like my FD Laguna Seca video I made on my site, I only corner like that if I'm feeling to lazy to grip though, usually I can just release the accelerator before going into the corner, and then slam the wheel all the way left or right and also the gas, making sure to hit the apex with no counter-steer (LanEvo has seen this video I think), it's quicker than exhibition drift but grip is still faster.

Also here is what other members have said about Inertia Drift:

using inertia to drift is using the cars natural tendencies to want to over-correct from a spin...when you harness this overcorrection you can use it to initiate another drift. and whats wrong with exhibition drift? thats what they do on initial D and D1, and those are the reasons people even like drifting.

Using the inertia of the car to compress the rear suspension before you enter the following corner so that you can spring it around the other way and continue drifting.

I'm sure that people aren't saying what you did wasn't good, but none of us really know what you mean; because we all assume Inertia Drift is one of those things quoted above.

yeh i have seen a video of this, i got a VCD of drifting, and it shows different ways of doing drift, inertia drift looks the fastest, he approaches the corner, does a feint and the back slides and it happens really quick,

i swear inertia drift exists

Ok after looking through some forums of actual drivers and some drifters(it was a European one so they talked a lot about feint motion or the scandinavian flick as rally folk like to call it), I have come to the conclusion that inertia drift is simply making the rear end of your car lose grip of the road and start drifting without using anything other than inertia, meaning no braking, dumping the clutch, or letting off the accelerator. As you can see feint motion is a technique for starting a drift that fits the description of inertia drift.

Originally posted by KT_Mazda_Fd3s

inertia drift
the ultimate in excitement

if you have mastered drifitng using braking of feint motion, you should be at the stage where your drift technique is fairly advanced. a couple of things you can use to show off to impress the gallery are to counterstrift or maintain drift for a prolonged period. however, if you can master inertia drift you can really begin to excite the crowd. in inertia drift your car travells too fast for the tyres to grip on corners, and you have to control it as it slides sideways. you need to maintain your speed on the corners, controlling the drift by countersteering and accelerating hard to move forward. if you can manade to acheive it, you will find that inertia drift is the ideal cornering method, in other words, inertia drift is the ultimate in driving, te fastest, and the most beautiful to watch. it is an exciting combination of ostentation and speed.

How fast are we talking when you say "Full Speed"? the only corner you could do it on would be a corner like Super speed way or the big 180degree corner at Tokyo (there may be a couple more, but I can't think of any), otherwise you'd have to brake and it wouldn't really be an "inertia drift". I'm not saying it's not possible, in fact I'm pretty sure I've done them around the big Tokyo 180deg corner a few times. The only problem is that you really wouldn't break traction till like half way through the turn unless you let off the gas to cause oversteer or something. Anyway..I think I know what you're trying to say, but it would definitely help to see a video.

Dude, KT, I don't see how u can get pissed off at us when you are new to this board and u claim to be able to drift faster than any of us with your 'inertia drift'. So we heard this newbie crap b4 and we assumed u saw initial d and thought u were takumi (I mean look at ur sig!!!). You haven't provided any facts we can use to understand what you are doing, and the info u gave us sounds exactly like what we have been doing for a LONG time.

IMHO, based on the info you gave us, and what we know about you, my theory on 'inertia drift' is this: When almost any newbie drifter first tries to drift, he (or she :)) takes a corner at full speed, thinking the drift will allow him to follow the corner like a roller coaster. After a while the newbie will realize different corners require different speeds. You have a book that tells you to take a corner at the fastest speed and to use some kind of motion to start a drift (feint motion?) and that is the fastest possible way to take a corner. So you believe this book is the bible and instead of trying to take a corner at the best speed for a drift, you now try to find corners that let you drift at full speed. Thats why you only said u drifted a couple of corners on one track.
Anyone agree?

Btw, can u give us the info on that book you have? The title and author so we can check it out.

Excuse me... VCD? KT, you're such a pirated HK-ese bastard :D

Based on what you quoted from the book, inertia drift is definitely the use of the ACCEL, WHILE COUNTERSTEERING, on a straight or an easy turn... then, as the countersteering makes the car to change direction to meet up with the sharp corner, you let off the Accel, and start countersteering as you tackle that corner. This is the faster version of feint drift. Am I correct?

And don't be so ****ing full of yourself man, if we were wrong, POINT OUT WHERE WE WERE WRONG.

yerh your right, although i joined this forum thing a few months ago,doesn't mean im a newbie to drifitng, im sure there are many other people better than me, but if thats how you like to judge people by how long they've been assigned to a ent forum...then thats fine by me. how was i full of myself? it was half of you guys (not all) who were full of themselves.

im sure most of you are very experienced, who actually can drift in a real car? the vcd i have is called "extreme drift technique"
and i got it in hong kong...lol and it aint pirate!! you knwo how hard it is to get pirate in hk nowadays?....not very hard but still...

the book i have is a small little book called "driving strategy guide" and you wont belvie this, but i cant actually find the authors name anywhere, but i wil go back to the bookshop and ask.

but come on guys, lets be honest, when in first mentioned inertia drift half you guys said different things, so you cant say your right either. the only reason why i got pissed off is because you didn't let me finish, or were not reasonable. in this book im gonna quote another few paragraphs on what it says about normals drift:

DRIFT

The basical rules of drift are the same as those for driving fast. it is a drynamic, ostentatios technique where your tyres slip on the road surface, and is both exciting to watch and thrilling to experience.

if your rear tyres are slipping you are oversteering, and if you oversteer too much you wil go into a spin, drift relies on sensitive control of both the acceleerator and the steering wheel to keep the wheels slipping on the road surface and to balance the car between oversteering and spinning. under the section about tyre grip we explained that if the maximum limit of vertical and horizontal grip are exceeded, there is a sudden drop in grip. it is true however, that if the grip limit is exceeded only slightly, there is an area in which the driver can retain control of the vehicle without goin into a spin, this cannot be given as a precise figure, but we can say that if you exceed the grip limit by only 1% or 2% you will be fine, exceed it by 5% or more it will be far more difficult to control the vehicle. in this area of control, the criver can adjust the vertical and horizontal grip levels by skilful use of th accelerator. in other words, a car that is being oversteered can be further oversteered or accelerated out of oversteering. the trick in to play the accelerator to keep the car tyres around the 100% grip limit, but sometimes a little under (98%-99%) and sometimes a little over (101%-102%). you will find that you can control your cars degree of oversteer if you have good control over weight shifting and the steering wheel. uif you can master these things you will be a drift expert.

then it goes on to say how to do a drift, but its a few pages, and i'll only quote if you want me to

Why are you guys picking on KT, he is just trying to give you some actual information on drifting. It sounds like it is pretty legitament to me. Just because you yourself cannot perform the type of drift he is talking about does not mean that it does not exist, and I'm pretty sure that the author of his book has a lot more knowledge on the topic of drifting, or any race driving for that matter than anyone else in this forum, unless some of you devote your life for months at a time to do research on race driving. Why can't people around here, just be humble, and try to understand what someone is saying instead of having huge egos, and thinking, if I can't do it that way, then it is impossible. If you always think like that your techinque will always be limited, because you won't attempt new technique, or even thing about trying them, just because you will assume that it is impossible. Instead of saying that KT is just wrong, and giving him a hard time, why not try to listen to what he has to say, and even tryout the techinque he is talking about. You may find that it is faster than the way you drive now, and even if it isn't faster, at least you will have another way to drift, just to show that you can be versatile in exibition drifting.

i do devote years to racing research. i compete in SCCA sponsored Solo II events. I've also drifted in real like to boot! Maybe the author of that book got it from initial d :lol: you never know.

Originally posted by IceGT
Why are you guys picking on KT, he is just trying to give you some actual information on drifting. It sounds like it is pretty legitament to me. Just because you yourself cannot perform the type of drift he is talking about does not mean that it does not exist, and I'm pretty sure that the author of his book has a lot more knowledge on the topic of drifting, or any race driving for that matter than anyone else in this forum, unless some of you devote your life for months at a time to do research on race driving. Why can't people around here, just be humble, and try to understand what someone is saying instead of having huge egos, and thinking, if I can't do it that way, then it is impossible. If you always think like that your techinque will always be limited, because you won't attempt new technique, or even thing about trying them, just because you will assume that it is impossible. Instead of saying that KT is just wrong, and giving him a hard time, why not try to listen to what he has to say, and even tryout the techinque he is talking about. You may find that it is faster than the way you drive now, and even if it isn't faster, at least you will have another way to drift, just to show that you can be versatile in exibition drifting.

That's what we're trying to do, is understand what he's saying, but it took him until the 4th page before he even started to provide any information at all. We still don't understand exactly what he's talking about, we all have our guesses but that's about it...

Was that book translated from Japanese? It kinda sounds like it was. If so, the explanations probably won't be very specific (in case you didn't notice). I'm happy to admit that I'm wrong and that inertia drift does exist, if someone would explain what it is. And yes, I am inclined to believe what I've learned over the author of that book, I hope that doesn't come across as being full of myself but you'd be surprised how much false information there is out there. It sounds to me like even if it is in the book, the author probably made it up or it was a poor translation, or maybe even HE watched too many Initial D episodes. There are lots of people in Japan who follow Initial D like a bible, perhaps this author was one of them.

nah, cos this author i very much doubt is translated from japanese, the english is very good....but i still doubt it, thanx Ice, everyone is laughing at me like columbus. it took me a while to reply cos i was busy. i can quote more from the book

this from someone 2 years younger than me? ok..i'm done reading this thread. You obviously don't want help from anyone knowledgable here, maybe some Initial D fanboys can help you out.

wow!! 2 years, laods of difference there! still acting very cocky, you seem to want everyone hailing down on you, dont gime this crap about your not gonna lookat this thread, cos i know you are, even if its just looking and your not gonna post. have you seen what youve written in the past few pages? not alot of help from ou to be honest, cos your so up yourself.

KT, you're quoting that book like its the Bible. You come to this forum thinking you can do a drift that no one else can, and half the ppl here told you its been done b4. I think the only one here with an ego problem is you because you refuse to believe we can do the drift that ur 'Bible' tells you. Your book doesn't even have a freakin author!!! It describes drift in a way that has already been described numerous times and performed thousands of times by just the forum members alone. If you don't believe us, then look at the video section of this site. Hell, check out the vid in my sig.

KT you're obviously confusing debate with disrespect. You claim everyone's laughing at you, but no one was laughing at you until you start whining about how no one believed you. Instead of complaining about how others are treating you, try earning our respect by PROVING US WRONG.

Meh it's hard to get back to subject after all the junk that's been put in between the slightly useful and informative posts, so KT could you explain what happened during that drift you were talking about? That way we can all understand what you've been trying to tell us about inertia drift? Or see if what I said in my last post is what you've been trying to explain?

im sure most of you are very experienced, who actually can drift in a real car? the vcd i have is called "extreme drift technique"
and i got it in hong kong...lol and it aint pirate!! you knwo how hard it is to get pirate in hk nowadays?....not very hard but still...

the book i have is a small little book called "driving strategy guide" and you wont belvie this, but i cant actually find the authors name anywhere, but i wil go back to the bookshop and ask.

I spotted a little problem. Half the time those VCDs from HK aren't reliable, information wise. I got one too, but there were a lot of things that are sort of hush-hush, like tax prices (it's tax free there for the moment, but double the tax rate on cars).

It's perfectly normal not to have an author... look up the publisher side. Is it in Chinese? If you can't type it up, just scan it up, I'll read it.

Btw, if you don't already understand how my personality works, I'm just here to provide reality. Nothing for you and nothing against you. Understood?

I think the best way to get this solved is to find an Inertia Drift video of real life cars, no explanations, just a video.

I think the quotes from that book sound like they're translated from another language into english because it's not very specific, and also as to Initial D, I have the volume one manga which has been translated into english by hired professioanls and not just fansubs; in the manga it quotes that Takumi uses the Inertia of the car to drift around the corner - although its just a manga which is also translated so it's accuracy is questionable.

This leads us to have many different ideas what Inertia and Inertia Drift is, I think the best thing to do is:

1. Look at professional race sites for the information
2. Send the question in to a professional drifting series which airs on tv.
3. Look for videos on Kazaa (although a lot of files are misnamed)

Back