Instead of penalties, damage!

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 102 comments
Greece
Salonica
Penalties are unrealistic and especially since the game is affiliated with FIA, they should be substituted with mechanical damage. So, drivers will know that the car will be slower or undrivable for the rest of the race once they hit someone and they will have to play more safely. What do you think?

Penalties are unrealistic and especially since the game is affiliated with FIA, they should be substituted with mechanical damage. So, drivers will know that the car will be slower or undrivable for the rest of the race once they hit someone and they will have to play more safely. What do you think?

That's a bad idea. I don't want limp my car around because others don't know how to drive.

Sure that's how it is in real life, but people are also much better drivers in real life so it happens less often

I've been totally for this since the start. I mean the chances of having some idiot punting you every race is pretty slim, especially if you're careful and aware of your surroundings. Secondly if you're someone who takes unrealistic risks you'll pretty much tone it down a bit during a race after a few instances in prior races.

Someone also suggested you having to pay to repair the car. Maybe mileage points or credits. Whichever is harder to refill faster

I am beginning to agree with this. I used to not mind the penalties so much because they were scrubbable, but now I get more irritated with a 3sec penalty (deserved or not) that follows me the entire race rather than in the FIA races where the damage disappears after about 20 sec.

With damage you dont get roadblocks from people scrubbing, you get to maintain your driving line and as a peanlty your pace slows (not drastically). I think it would do a lot to clean up some of the more aggressive mid corner overtakes, wall riding, and tailgating into brake zones. I also like how the damage scales with the impact severity. seems fair to me

Damage is on in the FIA races. it does nothing.

If the majority of people were capable of critical thinking, like "I might get a penalty" or "I might take damage", people wouldn't be voting for populist politicians.

As I have maintained from the start, penalties should NOT be run off in any way shape or form. You carry them to the end and race accordingly with them. It's more like reality than we have now. For egregious penalties, a DQ.

Last edited:
What I meant by "it does nothing" is that it doesn't change anyone's behaviour.
fair enough. I usually forget damage is on in FIA races until i get damaged but i wonder if they adopted this into sport mode if people would be more aware of it and act accordingly

Doesn't the damage in FIA races wear off after a while? I'm not sure as I don't really try the FIA anymore.

I'd rather the damage stays until you pit to repair or till the end of race if it's one of the shorter races.

Doesn't the damage in FIA races wear off after a while? I'm not sure as I don't really try the FIA anymore.

I'd rather the damage stays until you pit to repair or till the end of race if it's one of the shorter races.
Thats defiently an option that you can use in the lobbies, so ill bet that at some point they will have a FIA race set up like that

Penalties are unrealistic and especially since the game is affiliated with FIA, they should be substituted with mechanical damage

I don't recall ever seeing the FIA mandate that competitors cars should be damaged instead of serving time-penalties.

I’d love to see this, if people punt you it’s their engine that would suffer more than the damage on your rear bumper

Are you suggesting that they artificially rig it so that punters get more artificial engine damage? In real life you take little damage punting someone off of the road. The police do it all of the time with little damage to their squad cars.

If you mean that it should artificially damage engines more, then I think that would just add another complicated layer of game balance to a game that has still yet to be balanced correctly.

I was trying to think of a good way to do penalties... I find the idea of slowing down or stopping in the middle of a race track to scrub penalty times really weird (although it's probably the only way to do it as far as the videogame-y way of doing it).. I was thinking if we had something like 4 yellow dots on the HUD, for each bump or whatever it would fill up one dot and if you had all 4 filled and had another bump you'd have to serve a drive through pit lane penalty? If it was a super hard hit then all 4 would light up? Then say if you raced a clean lap one yellow dot would clear? I know, not perfect.. I get why they do the penalties the way they do but I really don't enjoy it because with GT being so realistic in everything it's doing it feels so silly to scrub penalties by slamming my brakes in the middle of a racetrack during a race.

I don't know, like I said I get why PD does it the way they do but I really don't enjoy the penalty system as it is.

Are you suggesting that they artificially rig it so that punters get more artificial engine damage? In real life you take little damage punting someone off of the road. The police do it all of the time with little damage to their squad cars.

If you mean that it should artificially damage engines more, then I think that would just add another complicated layer of game balance to a game that has still yet to be balanced correctly.
Police cars that don't have fender guards do. But in the game engine damage occurs when a front end collision occurs so a dive bomber will incur engine damage while the receiving car receives fender damafe

As I have maintained from the start, penalties should NOT be run off in any way shape or form. You carry them to the end and race accordingly with them. It's more like reality than we have now. For egregious penalties, a DQ.
I'd be OK with this but perhaps add that pens can only be run off in the pit before your stop. Seen it somewhere (Indy or F1) where a driver was given a penalty and had to sit for the 5 or 10 seconds before the crew could touch the car. This seems like the most sensible solution to me. I don't think I've ever seen a penalty burned while on track; always a stop and go, drive through or applied at the finish.

Damage would have to be improved. I'd like to see radiator leaks and flat tires. Nerfed handling has always bothered me as the only effect of damage.

There should be damage in all FIA events especially for the S/S drivers. If they’re as good as their rankings indicate then they shouldn’t be making mistakes and damage should be a non-issue. FIA races should be about clean/fast racing, not bump passing and using competitors for artificial grip in corners. Last I checked the FIA and NASCAR short track racing are two different things.

If I were spectating a GTS FIA championship I don’t want to watch sloppy racing and desperate moves to gain positions.

The FIA races should have increased emphasis on qualifying and only standing starts at all top driver tiers. Sound tough? It should be.

So do penalties plenty of time. So not really the end of story :D

End of story regarding damage surely.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't choose who you race with. The system is what it is and I for one do not like any of the millions of user ideas suggested that PD try. They have a hard enough time implementing there own.

:lol:

End of story regarding damage surely.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't choose who you race with. The system is what it is and I for one do not like any of the millions of user ideas suggested that PD try. They have a hard enough time implementing there own.

:lol:
Ah I see what you're saying :lol:

its fundamentally fine as it is .. the only change i would make is to put a red dot or something on the name plates of people who have penalties they need to serve so other players can watch out for them scrubbing it

Timed penalties should only be incurred if you gain an unfair advantage and then it should be added at the end, and if you cut you get warned and so forth, quite daft whoever thought this one up. Cant say I've seen this sort of pulling over behaviour in the real world. Damage on a timer may work or a lap of damage and only if it applied to the culprit.

The damage system is poor like the physics of that game. They should turn it off to save some gpu power for more stable gameplay :D

better damage ->

Last edited:
I said this before but the original Forza handle it really well. You hit somebody and your steering would be really screwed up for a good little while, not letting you drive straight! The victim would also get damaged but it was far less consequential because the rear of a car has fewer vital components.

It’s such a simple solution, PD please

Latest Posts

Back