Instead of penalties, damage!

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 102 comments
Or like: Nando thinks everything is impossible.
Not impossible, just not so easy as a lot of people state. It’s like... if I go to a restaurant and I don’t like the food, I say “wow! I really didn’t like the food!”. That’s ok. But I won’t say “wow!!! I really don’t know how this chef did so horribly! It was just <insert oversimplified instruction with actual no relation to the real world>!”. But that’s ok... let’s get back to the topic.

Penalties are unrealistic and especially since the game is affiliated with FIA, they should be substituted with mechanical damage. So, drivers will know that the car will be slower or undrivable for the rest of the race once they hit someone and they will have to play more safely. What do you think?

Worst idea ever. As others have said I don’t want my race ruined by someone else’s 🤬 up no matter how realistic that may be, it’s bad enough getting penalties for it.

The penalty system is easy to game. If you collide with others and damage your car it will slow you down significantly.

The innocent driver is also affected under a damage system

Let's say we're racing for position and I ran you off. Under the current system I get a large penalty, and you crash but you can recover and possibly finish well.

Under a damage system, we are BOTH out. You worked so hard to get where you did, and now you're done. Yes, I agree it happens in real life, but in real life, people are cleaner! GTS can be dirty even in Sr S.

Yes, I agree it happens in real life, but in real life, people are cleaner! GTS can be dirty even in Sr S.

That and in the real life we can't control the laws of physics to make things more enjoyable so have to put up with cars being damaged by contact, thankfully though in a game we can.

When you have S/S dirty drivers then its obvious that the current system doesnt work and it needs change/experimentation.
If someone entered a race a day after damage was implemented in GTS it would be the worst mayhem ever of course.
But who knows how it would play in a few weeks?
Maybe it would make people really careful and drop the dirty players from high rank..
Don't selfishly only think about yourself "oh no i'm innocent I will get smashed"and think what will happen to the quality of the races over time.
Let them experiment.

This would have ruined my race in T2 with damage. Instead now I could climb back up to finish 9th.

Why should my race end for the behavior of others?

The innocent driver is also affected under a damage system

Let's say we're racing for position and I ran you off. Under the current system I get a large penalty, and you crash but you can recover and possibly finish well.

Under a damage system, we are BOTH out. You worked so hard to get where you did, and now you're done. Yes, I agree it happens in real life, but in real life, people are cleaner! GTS can be dirty even in Sr S.
If you were only to race one race ever I would agree with you. If you are a clean racer and avoid contact it stands to reason that over multiple races you will sustain less damage and therefore finish better than a dirty driver. I race daily and my experience is that by far, the majority want to race cleanly. I believe that the few that don't could be easily relegated away from clean drivers if PD implemented the right combination of damage/penalties.

If getting a hugely frustrating 2 second penalty for every little contact didn't change people's driving that much I doubt damage would, people will still divebomb and complain about the other guy turning into 'their' line.

The only way damage would ever work is to only apply it at SR S races, and then somehow severely cap the number of players at S SR to about 1-2% of the active playerbase (currently it's over 10%), but that would make matchmaking a nightmare for anything other than the FIA races.

If getting a hugely frustrating 2 second penalty for every little contact didn't change people's driving that much I doubt damage would, people will still divebomb and complain about the other guy turning into 'their' line.

The only way damage would ever work is to only apply it at SR S races, and then somehow severely cap the number of players at S SR to about 1-2% of the active playerbase (currently it's over 10%), but that would make matchmaking a nightmare for anything other than the FIA races.
The more severe penalties most definitely did change the way people drive. I'm surprised you didn't notice.

The more severe penalties most definitely did change the way people drive. I'm surprised you didn't notice.

Frankly I couldn't care less if people's driving has improved, it was already pretty good at S rank and I rarely had any issues. The only significant difference with the new penalty system I've seen is that you now lose more time to other peoples mistakes than you did before due to loads of penalties being given out for completely meaningless contact that neither driver cares about.

Frankly I couldn't care less if people's driving has improved, it was already pretty good at S rank and I rarely had any issues. The only significant difference with the new penalty system I've seen is that you now lose more time to other peoples mistakes than you did before due to loads of penalties being given out for completely meaningless contact that neither driver cares about.
I fully agree with you. The gentle rub/nudge is not be an issue with damage on.

Latest Posts

Back