Interviews of Kazunori Yamauchi: See post 1. Translations, revelations & discussion.

• Thread starter aurelio_911
  • 749 comments
Hmm...I do have a strong PC. They can emulate GT4 now?

Not flawlessly, but yes. Multi-core CPU and a decent graphics card are needed if you want to run the game at reasonable frame rates.

Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icoOauHaCfY
Emulator: http://pcsx2.net/ GT4 configuration tips: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4873.html

If you are on a Mac, as I am, then you'll need to use this emulator instead: http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1053

...It's technically the same emulator, just in a wrapper so that it works on Mac.

Of course, you'll need to download a PS2 bios file (technically illegal without owning a PS2), and you'll either need to download an iso of GT4 (definitely illegal and wrong unless you also own a legit copy) or buy a copy of it (fairly cheap).

Not flawlessly, but yes. Multi-core CPU and a decent graphics card are needed if you want to run the game at reasonable frame rates.

Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icoOauHaCfY
Emulator: http://pcsx2.net/ GT4 configuration tips: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4873.html

If you are on a Mac, as I am, then you'll need to use this emulator instead: http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1053

...It's technically the same emulator, just in a wrapper so that it works on Mac.

Of course, you'll need to download a PS2 bios file (technically illegal without owning a PS2), and you'll either need to download an iso of GT4 (definitely illegal and wrong unless you also own a legit copy) or buy a copy of it (fairly cheap).

Thank you Yay. I too have a Mac, so I will go that route. I have just emailed this stuff to myself. Sweet jesus thank you. +1 rep to you my friend.

I posted this in the TGS thread but in did not get much traction. I think this may be a new interview. If so a translation is needed.
We already have a translation http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-407937.aspx?CT=1&Page=1&Page2=1#C2891100
I speak fluent french and checked it, no mistakes.

The important parts are
GB: Gran Turismo 5 will not be released in Japan before March 2010. What about Europe? KZ: Trust me, it should be very close from this date because our schedules didn't changed. What I can assure you is both versions will be finished at the same time.
GB: Gran Turismo 5 will offer a new kind of damage... KY: Right now we are adding a brand new real-time deformation engine that will process according to the speed and angle of impact. But doing this in real-time remains truly complex. We could make it an easier way with pre-damaged models but definitely we don't want to make it that way.

Wow, I'm loving the new interview. The real-time damage just proves that much more that PD is not the type to go the easy way. They really want to take as much out of the ps3 as much as possible. With the ps3 nearly halfway into its development cycle, I assume his team are learning much more than they did in the beginning of GT5's production. And as they learn, they grasp and change their way of things, for the better.

This is exactly one of the reasons why I love Gran Turismo. They don't follow other developer's trends of releasing games quickly for the money's sakes. Not that it's a bad thing or anything (infact it's neccessary at times).

I'll tell you guys this, if other developers were like PD, Uncharted 2, Resistance 2, and R&C 2 would all be Uncharted 1, Resistance 1, and R&C 1...and even FM3 would be Forza 2, if you know what I mean.

The difference in this generation is that that many other developers take two titles to reach close to the console's potential. If PD were to follow this, GT5 would be release as early as Forza 2 and the GT5 we see right now would be GT6. Now many would probably rather see GT like this, but I don't mind too much about PD going the other route.

Am I making sense?

Wow, I'm loving the new interview. The real-time damage just proves that much more that PD is not the type to go the easy way. They really want to take as much out of the ps3 as much as possible. With the ps3 nearly halfway into its development cycle, I assume his team are learning much more than they did in the beginning of GT5's production. And as they learn, they grasp and change their way of things, for the better.

This is exactly one of the reasons why I love Gran Turismo. They don't follow other developer's trends of releasing games quickly for the money's sakes. Not that it's a bad thing or anything (infact it's neccessary at times).

I'll tell you guys this, if other developers were like PD, Uncharted 2, Resistance 2, and R&C 2 would all be Uncharted 1, Resistance 1, and R&C 1...and even FM3 would be Forza 2, if you know what I mean.

The difference in this generation is that that many other developers take two titles to reach close to the console's potential. If PD were to follow this, GT5 would be release as early as Forza 2 and the GT5 we see right now would be GT6. Now many would probably rather see GT like this, but I don't mind too much about PD going the other route.

Am I making sense?

Yes, you do to me.

They take their time and the game is going to be better and better everyday. I mean look at NFS Undercover. That game had so many bugs and was so sick to play, I lost motivation within 2 hours.

That won't happen with GT5. I think there will be pratically no bugs and it's gonna be a great game because they had time to put in everything they wanted. Can't wait for it. =D

Am I making sense?
You are, but in a sense, Prologue was "the first GT on PS3."

Like with other developers, it was "released quickly to earn some money," but they made no bones about it not being "the real deal." (Which is not to say that games like Drake's Fortune and Tools of Destruction aren't "the real deal.") Basically, Prologue is a way to say, "Okay, we know it's been a while, so here's what we have so far to tide you over until we finish the actual game." This gives the die-hard fans something to chew on while they wait, and also helps keeps the lights on at PD while they complete the game.

So in effect, PD have taken a middle ground between normal developers and, well, "PD." No, they're not cranking out games as fast as possible to maximize profits, but at the same time, they don't go for years and years without producing anything tangible at all.

Hmm, i wonder if they update prologue with damage, it would make a sence, test it before gt5, but i think prologue till gt5 premiere won't gain anything.

first i thought that prologue will be like 30-50 h experience but after all this time i play it with same fun as first time, 200-250 h still adding hours ..

Currently still learning how to drift well with 900 wheel (g25), this is like new galaxy in comparition to 270-300 wheels ... just another space, love it

prologue done its job well , only 6 months.

i wish today is march...

According to the new GameBlog.fr interview, I don’t like the idea of GT5 to be like GTPSP. In GTPSP there is no GT MODE and you win money really fast. That’s good for the PSP version, but I don’t think it will be good for GT5. I prefer start with an used car, tune it, and say: “yes, that’s my car”. And then, when you have more money, buy a better car. And buy, progressively, more cars. But in GTPSP, you can start the game buying a RUF, or a GT-R.
And I also hope that there will be used cars in GT5.

I hope gt5 will have gt mode like all previous gt. Gtpsp really sucks, if they copied that progression system in Gt5 they'll totally ruin the game.

Last edited:
GT5 is now for causal gamers... Don`t Like the idea of fast money. Were is the challenge?
No it's not. Where have people got this idea from. All Kaz said was that elements of GT PSP will be incorporated into GT5. We already know that GT5 will have a GT mode. If the idea of craeting custom races is implemented in GT5 as well then that's fantastic. And no where was the idea that you'll earn Cr as fast in GT5 as GT PSP mentioned. In fact Kaz quite clearly said that GT5 will be about 10 times slower than GT PSP.

No it's not. Where have people got this idea from. All Kaz said was that elements of GT PSP will be incorporated into GT5. We already know that GT5 will have a GT mode. If the idea of craeting custom races is implemented in GT5 as well then that's fantastic. And no where was the idea that you'll earn Cr as fast in GT5 as GT PSP mentioned. In fact Kaz quite clearly said that GT5 will be about 10 times slower than GT PSP.

Indeed! 10:1 ratio

From Kaz, the man himself. Read the fourth question and answer: https://www.gtplanet.net/brand-new-real-time-damage-coming-to-gran-turismo-5/

I don't think GT5's progression is going to be like GTPSP. And GT5 is not going to be more casual if Kaz said the damage is going to be "real-time" or something of the sort.

Yet he's also said that the rate of collection in GT PSP is roughly 10 times faster than in GT5. That comment may have been more directed to the license tests part of his comment. GT PSP didn't have any license tests.

So that would mean a 25k credit PSP race would be a 2.5k credit race in GT5? One thing i hope they leave at the PSP door is the "Unlocking stuff as you go", that belongs nowhere near GT5.

So that would mean a 25k credit PSP race would be a 2.5k credit race in GT5? One thing i hope they leave at the PSP door is the "Unlocking stuff as you go", that belongs nowhere near GT5.

Precisely.

Why would PD compare an epic game [containing the potential and proportions of GT5] to a handheld meandering of the franchise - that has largely unimpressed the major gaming critics?

GT5 should be the end-all, beat-all of the racing game genre.

It should remain where it has been - only with more encompassing features [rain, day & night racing, online and tons of new things to try]. GT mode in GT5 should be what we expect, based on past iterations of the franchise - but with new and exciting things to do and see.

Giving players the "easy way" to gain accolades is silly and redundant. It would only make things less difficult to achieve greatness.

Yep, I like to think of GT PSP is the McDonalds drive through meal whereas GT5 will be a full 5 course meal in the Burj Al Arab.

Yep, I like to think of GT PSP is the McDonalds drive through meal whereas GT5 will be a full 5 course meal in the Burj Al Arab.

To be honest, though, if you consider the number of cars GT PSP actually has, it's probably more than a McDonalds Drive Thru meal.

The recent interview with Kaz has me worried.. the game will be amazing but the fact they are changing to suit new customers is bad.... He mentioned it would be more towards GTPSP's style of quick game play which is exactly the opposite of what I and I am sure many others want.

He mentioned it was a possibility, not fact. Yes it is the opposite to what I want too.

In another interview he said GT PSP you earnt cash 10 times faster than in GT5.

The recent interview with Kaz has me worried.. the game will be amazing but the fact they are changing to suit new customers is bad.... He mentioned it would be more towards GTPSP's style of quick game play which is exactly the opposite of what I and I am sure many others want.

He said that the fact that there is a different demographic of players is something they're "keeping in mind." That doesn't say to me that it's going to be like GTPSP...

To be honest, though, if you consider the number of cars GT PSP actually has, it's probably more than a McDonalds Drive Thru meal.
GT-PSP is the Burj Al Arab… with a Drive-Thru. ^^

He said that the fact that there is a different demographic of players is something they're "keeping in mind." That doesn't say to me that it's going to be like GTPSP...
What if they totally separated the Sim and Arcade modes? Instead of In addition to grinding for cash to buy cars in Sim, and then making them available in Arcade, you could give players tons of cash in Arcade for unlocking cars directly in there, but those cars/cash wouldn't be available to you in Sim mode. On a similar note, what if importing cars from GT-PSP only made them available in Arcade, and you still had to earn them properly before you could use them in Sim mode?

Making Arcade the place for "quick and dirty progression" seems like it would keep both types of fans fairly happy—casuals can hurry up and race an Enzo, while the hardcore still get the satisfaction of earning one—and I imagine the number of people butt-hurt over the fact that the Enzo they spent 10 minutes unlocking in GT-PSP/GT5-Arcade couldn't be used in the GT All Stars would be relatively small.

For a "style of quick gameplay", there's already arcade mode! nuff said.
Right, but currently, the only way to make cars available in Arcade is by grinding for them in Sim mode, a fact which has irritated some of my "less patient" friends since GT1.

I'm saying that by allowing Arcade drivers to earn cars directly (and also import them from GT-PSP), but preventing those cars from being accessed in Simulation, you keep both camps happy; allowing quick progression in Arcade for the casual, while still keeping Simulation pure for the purists. Currently, there's no way to progress in the "casual mode" without grinding in the "hardcore mode." I'm arguing to allow quick progression in the casual mode, but don't allow that easy money to pollute the hardcore mode. Everybody wins. :)

Back