iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Cheers @Kamuifanboy, that was a good read. It's always good to get feedback from someone who has experienced all these things in real life.
All I know is sim racing (other than a hand full of track days in a mates race car), so to read your comparisons and opinions on the different sims out there to real life racing is always interesting.

I must have either slowed down, or everyone else got faster. Just one year ago, I was able to be in the top 20 of the top splits in GT3. Racing against the likes of Javier Soto, Jonathan Salanhi, and Tapani Linnaluoto on occasion were some of my highlights. But now, I can't seem to get to quite the heights of what I was capable of in 2014 Season 1. I'm not sure if the GT3 cars have changed drastically, or if I'm just rusty because I've effectively had to take a half year hiatus last year to live in Italy. Currently I'm running mid 2:05's in Quali trim with the Z4 GT3, and can't seem to understand how some are reaching 2:03's at all. Is there anything that changed drastically on the GT3 cars from 1 year ago?

BUT compared to it's rivals (RFactor, R3E, AC, PCARS) it is very expensive. With all but R3E you get everything for a small price (Never more than £50) whereas R3E has you pay for cars and tracks but they are cheaper than iRacing AND the game itself is free. I get that iRacing is a better simulation but is it really so good that you would be willing to pay the price of buying every other racing sim on the market?

iRacing sees itself with one foot in the sim/gaming world and one foot in the racing world. Compared to RF2 or AC, it is expensive. Compared to 1 or 2 track days a year in your own car, it is very reasonable. Compared to a real world 2 or 3 day racing school, it is cheap. Where I live, the cost of one track day---when you look at fees, gas, wear on brakes and tires--- is probably a year subscription plus maybe 12 pieces of content in iRacing. And that depends on how hard you push your car and how expensive the tires & brake pads are. You might be able to add another 12 cars or tracks to the mix for the same price as the track day.

You have mentioned you aren't necessarily looking for multi-player online. So... just go get RF2, AC and or GSCE. All have great strengths and also have AI. RF2 has the best FFB available and pretty much every race feature you could want including the most advanced track surface dynamics available. It is hardcore and feels alive and detailed at the limit. AC has very nice handling, a great car list-- and the list will continue to get better throughout the year if you buy the DLC and download the high quality mods. Plus they have laser scanned tracks (although they do not seem as detailed as iRacing). AC is a great leaping off point if you are coming from console-- better handling feel than console titles but still a great car selection with lots of great street cars with high quality graphics. GSCE has good FFB and a pretty unique set of tracks for a great price. And pCars may end up being a real competitor offline too-- we'll have to see how the final handling model stacks up but it certainly has some promise.

Those titles will keep you plenty busy... and satisfied... if you want offline racing. They may also give you a great online experience if you find a league that lines up with your schedule and needs.

iRacing will always be there for multiplayer if you decide offline isn't giving you everything you want. There is something unique about sitting on a grid or doing a warm up lap...waiting for the race to start with 20 other real drivers all around you on a fantastic virtual version of a real world track. It is palpably different than offline racing (which I also do quite a lot of). And iRacing's multi-player, as others have stated, is pretty terrific. They are also dedicated to continually improving things... the tire model and handling feel has gotten much, much better over the years IMO. But iRacing isn't the best at everything. It doesn't have the best FFB, or car selection but if you want challenging, very well constructed multiplayer races and want the very best tracks, then it offers value for money.

iRacing will always be there for multiplayer if you decide offline isn't giving you everything you want. There is something unique about sitting on a grid or doing a warm up lap...waiting for the race to start with 20 other real drivers all around you on a fantastic virtual version of a real world track. It is palpably different than offline racing (which I also do quite a lot of). And iRacing's multi-player, as others have stated, is pretty terrific.

Yup, the racing on iRacing is awesome.

Last night I entered a normal public race on iRacing. My qualifying time put me in pole position (doesn't happen very often). When the race started I got away cleanly and I then drove the whole race in the lead and won the race. Sound boring? No way. For the first lap, I was so worried I would mess up in front of the other 16 cars and cause an accident I was literally shaking and kept missing my marks. Then the race settled down and for the next few laps second place was within a second behind me and I kept on telling myself to focus and not let the car behind get a run on me. Eventually he dropped away to about 2 seconds behind and I calmed down a bit. But then third place got past second place and started to closed in on me instead. So, it was back to pressure again but fortunately I held onto the end for the win. I was so pumped. AI could never provide that excitement.

Yup, the racing on iRacing is awesome.

Last night I entered a normal public race on iRacing. My qualifying time put me in pole position (doesn't happen very often). When the race started I got away cleanly and I then drove the whole race in the lead and won the race. Sound boring? No way. For the first lap, I was so worried I would mess up in front of the other 16 cars and cause an accident I was literally shaking and kept missing my marks. Then the race settled down and for the next few laps second place was within a second behind me and I kept on telling myself to focus and not let the car behind get a run on me. Eventually he dropped away to about 2 seconds behind and I calmed down a bit. But then third place got past second place and started to closed in on me instead. So, it was back to pressure again but fortunately I held onto the end for the win. I was so pumped. AI could never provide that excitement.

Nice!

It provokes "real world" reactions and emotions. Having to focus, worrying about turn 1--yourself and other drivers, managing tires toward the end, really having to decide do I dive in under braking or wait for him to screw up? A lot of these things are in racing with AI but they just don't seem to matter as much. There you can just "restart" the race.

What makes iRacing the ultimate in sim racing is that its the only sim that gets my heart pumping, butterflies fluttering and has me sweating. A couple of nights ago in the 2nd GT3 split at bathurst I was running in the top 10 and my hands were wet, heart pumping etc I was concentrating so hard on trying to run clean and overtake the guy infront. Nothing else has the effect iRacing has on you.

iracing makes it such a social experience. I used to practice solo then come in for the race, but after a while i just got so used to running with other people on the track i now get sad whenever i have to use a practice room that's empty.

Just renewed with a 3 months for the price of 1 promo code and for some reason the code didn't get applied. I contacted support so they rather generously gave me 24$ credits. Might just stay for the month and get me some new content now. :D

^A guy in my club is having trouble getting paints to load in sim but we can see his.

We did a 50 lap race at Daytona in the Gen 6 for practice for the upcoming Pacific majors Daytona 500. I WON! I haven't won since legends on the Figure 8 quite awhile ago. I was planning on running in second or third the whole race after the pitstop and make my move on lap 50 but the leader slipped and I took the lead on lap 44 and managed to win. It was a lot of fun, it's like a game of chess in a way.

I'm not sure, I asked him what version of Microsoft Net he was running. I'm not sure if it Matters but I believe TP runs on MS Net. I just happened to find an update for that through ninite. I don't know if that will fix any problems though. There is a recent update to TP also, I think we're on 1.2.0 now.

Update: I meant 1.2.0

Last edited:
I'm not sure, I asked him what version of Microsoft Net he was running. I'm not sure if it Matters but I believe TP runs on MS Net. I just happened to find an update for that through ninite. I don't know if that will fix any problems though. There is a recent update to TP also, I think we're on 1.2.0 now.

Update: I meant 1.2.0

Is the old way still a possibility? Adding it into the paints folder with your user ID as the name.

Yeah but other people can't see your paint scheme of you do it that way or you won't see theirs. That's typically only used to see what your paint looks like as you work on it using alt + tab to switch between the sim and your image editor.

After being an Oval only guy and Mazda cup, I was thinking about slowly making the switch over to GT3 as I love the participation and how the teams are set up. My big thing I just like having the best competition I can get. Anyways what series would you guys recommend as a stepping stone that will help most with GT3? For D Class and C Class.

After being an Oval only guy and Mazda cup, I was thinking about slowly making the switch over to GT3 as I love the participation and how the teams are set up. My big thing I just like having the best competition I can get. Anyways what series would you guys recommend as a stepping stone that will help most with GT3? For D Class and C Class.
Ruf Cup or Global Challenge I would think. I started getting into leagues in iRacing because the GT3 racing is much more cleaner and people get penalized for stupid driving in the series i run in atleast.

For D class Grand Touring Cup is a lot of fun with the Solstice, Jetta, and Mustang. It's become even more popular this current season for some reason. I have a fairly blunt question regarding iRacing being on Steam, without wishing to sound like an elitist, how has it been? Is the driving any different? I've been away from iRacing for over a month so I'm curious..

For D class Grand Touring Cup is a lot of fun with the Solstice, Jetta, and Mustang. It's become even more popular this current season for some reason. I have a fairly blunt question regarding iRacing being on Steam, without wishing to sound like an elitist, how has it been? Is the driving any different? I've been away from iRacing for over a month so I'm curious..

Considering the way most Steam users are, the areas with free content may have gotten worse but, the places where you have to put in some good money to get to, most of the Steam users will have shy'ed away from that I assume.

Considering the way most Steam users are, the areas with free content may have gotten worse but, the places where you have to put in some good money to get to, most of the Steam users will have shy'ed away from that I assume.

There does seem to have been an increase in numbers recently, it's been noticeable in all the d-class series. In the UK&I forums, we've had several people who've joined recently say that they'd never heard of iRacing before, so it may be the Steam exposure is spreading the word.

I've been racing mainly in the Skippy, and I'd have to say I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the driving.

After driving my first GT car this past week (can't say what quite yet :( but good news is coming soon :) ), I definitely have some things that I want to try on the GT3 cars in iRacing. Specifically the ABS. If it works like in real life, rather than using a formula car style modulation braking technique, I should press maximum pressure until the apex and release all at once. If there's locking, then I need to up the ABS setting. If not, lower it until I get locking and then up it one to release locking. Hopefully that should help gain time but, I'll have to test things. Otherwise, I may have to write a letter to iRacing on where there ABS system may need improvement.

Yeah Shinya whenever I drive the Z4 I just stamp on the pedal when I brake.

Yeah Shinya whenever I drive the Z4 I just stamp on the pedal when I brake.

It's possible it changed because a few seasons ago, if you stamp the brake pedal, the car would just not stop. I'll do some testing, then look at data to make sure before I make any clear statements for iRacing.

Usually I use Medium or Low because the High is just terrible. You get no feel at all with those pads to me, and I usually get tons of locking.
Same here, when the GT-3 Ford came out the High was way over the top and I would get the same result you describe, since then they have tweaked them and they actually felt good at Daytona.

Hello gentleman. I'm looking to install this on my HP for the first time after the previous few times of installing it on the Acer. Am I allowed to install this on multiple computers?

Also, you may recall one of those races featuring the New NCWTS Trucks (The Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra). Since I bought the older Silverado some time ago, will I have to buy those new ones or will I get to have them for free?

Last edited:
Hello gentleman. I'm looking to install this on my HP for the first time after the previous few times of installing it on the Acer. Am I allowed to install this on multiple computers?

Also, you may recall one of those races featuring the New NCWTS Trucks (The Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra). Since I bought the older Silverado some time ago, will I have to buy those new ones or will I get to have them for free?

You can install it on as many computer as you like, as long as you're a member!

You can install it on as many computer as you like, as long as you're a member!

Ok, great to know.

Now what about the Trucks? I remember when they introduced the new Dallara DW12, that people who had the old Dallara IR-05 within the last 90 days got 6 credits back. Will it be similar with this or will it be different?

Now what about the Trucks? I remember when they introduced the new Dallara DW12, that people who had the old Dallara IR-05 within the last 90 days got 6 credits back. Will it be similar with this or will it be different?
It will most likely be that way, that's how they've always done for every superseding car model.

Back