iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
Reigniting the GT1 series, I wonder if they will also make a GT1 Ford GT?

I imagine they'll just do the same thing they did with the Ford GT3 if that happens: Just manipulate the performance and slap different parts on it.

astonmartin_gt1_clay.jpg

Current Ford is GT2 & 3 spec, Corvette is GT1
Matech-Ford-GT1_3.jpg

Matek GT1
4945150643_eba5aba15c_z.jpg

Doran GT2
nygaard-gruber-ford-gt.jpg

Matek GT3

Its worth pointing out that Matek don't exist anymore, but it didn't stop the GT3 variant being made on iRacing

Yeah there were a few GT1 Fords but they're a different spec to the C6.R and DBR9 in iracing.

Yeah there were a few GT1 Fords but they're a different spec to the C6.R and DBR9 in iracing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIA_GT1_World_Championship_season

They can't have been that much different? I mean, I know GT1 regulations changed a fair bit over time but seeing as iRacing has taken some artistic license before with the Ford GT and the RUF to get a series going, it wouldn't be surprising.

Having said that, I'm not sure what iRacing are doing signing up an aging GT car. Why not get the V8 Vantage early for GT3? Having a GT1 series or adding more similar cars but in different series doesn't make sense to me, they already have the problem of trying to encourage participation elsewhere and GT3 is already very popular. Better to add more GT3 cars and encourage diversity in that series rather than spreading participation further into very similar series.

V8 Vantage for GT3? :S

I believe they're getting the V12 Vantage for GT3 but the aim of getting the DBR9 is to get an old style FIA GT GT1 series (before the failed 'new' slower GT1 world championship cars) with C6.R and equivalent spec DBR9.

My one and only complaint about iRacing, minus the bugs that pop up every new build, is the lack of content! I don't want every version of a Miata, but it's lacking in the car's ie: GT3 garage.

I feel the exact opposite about GT3. I feel that some newer series would be cool, like le mans prototypes, or maybe more historical series like Can Am. Also other series could use some updates like legends body styles and setups, mustang/Trans am style cars. I'm tired of GT3 cars to be honest but I'm not saying I don't like them it's just that it has become the go to choice for all big events.

For the record there are 4 GT3 cars and 2 miatas. So the Miata does not dominate the garage like the Nissan Skyline does in GT5.

I think there is plenty of content already in iRacing. They need to be very careful that adding of new content brings in enough new members to counteract the dilution of series participation due to the new content.

I'm all for completely different a new types of car, but I'm not really keen on another GT series, if we have to get more GT cars, make them GT3, otherwise why not focus on the Corvette DP or the Honda Civic NGTC?

iRacing really really needs to stop licensing random race cars and start getting new content for existing classes or content that can fit within existing series.
I'd love to see every new GT-3 car in iRacing, but I would also love to see diversity across the board, For example:
-Continental Sports Car Series, ST/GS(easily done with existing content).
-Revamped/Renovated Proto/GT (IMSA) content(GT-3 cars fit the bill perfectly 2016 onwards regs)
-Touring Cars WTCC or BTCC.
-GP2, maybe Indy Lights(new series)
-DTM/SuperGT(new series)
-More Grass Roots type content in general(put the Jetta/MX-5/Solstice in the same class like they are in real life), please steer clear of US domestic brands, more Japanese content...
So on and so on...

I agree with both sides of this, iracing is a bit lean in aspects of content, but I think that more of the new content needs to be meshed in with the current content, as someone above stated about the continental tire series, yeah there is some current content that would fit and add some new content to make it more appealing, the Global series needs something to go against the Cadillac and as well something against the Kia, then there is also some content that needs updating or outright replacing like the spec racer Ford,

But I think the biggest lack of content comes down to BTCC/ WTCC content, we also need some more LMP2 chassis,

The other thing that needs to happen is massive restructuring of the racing times, in some instances less races would be a better option, and in things like NASCAR B series fixed where there are only 3 races a week it shows in the fields that practice sessions are being done instead of "arriving and driving" and wrecking half the field, I'm not saying all series should be restricted to 3 races a week, but some should be restricted to around 4 races a day, that should encourage people to practice more and qualify prior to a specific race,

Also, with Indy road fixed, I noticed that the first qualifying session was half hour after the first race, what's the deal with that???

I still see Iracing as an awesome simulator and probably the best place to race this days but there's one thing i hate about it and I can't even comprehend how come such a huge franchise like this has only 4 lousy options in the GT3 class, missing icons of that discipline as the SLS, the R8 or the 458!!!
They can't bring this cars into the sim??? Really??? Dang! Cuz everybody else can!!!! Granturismo, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, RFactor, you name it!
Come on Iracing Management... Wake up for Christ's sake!

It's like you said the others are huge franchises iracing is not. The way iracing does their content it's not a straight comparison to the other games. Since iracing sells the content they have to get official licensing from whatever manufacture they are trying to get. So they have to come to a agreed price with said manufacture and figure out if its going to be worth it or not. That's why the Cadillac is a free car because they came to iracing wanting the car on iracing not iracing approching them. Not every member is going to buy a certain car when it comes out so they have to factor that in. I'm not sure how they do about the cars but they give 10% of sales to the tracks they scan.

Since iracing laser scans all the cars and all the cars they have are race cars,except for the ruf, they have to find a race team that going to let them come and do that. The super late model for example is Matt Rolfe's dads car. That's why the Honda HSV never got scanned is because none of the race teams would let them do it. That's why there's no current F1 car. We are getting the new mclaren Honda but iracing already has ties with both companies with the MP4 and HPD already in the sim.

So with all that being said Id like to see more cars too but I know it's a lot more difficult than it seems and I think we need more members about as bad. I've been on iracing nearly 4 years and it was easier to get official races back when it was less series and cars. Now some of the less popular series only go official few races a week.

I dont really understand the need for more and more cars, generally when more cars are released it just dilutes participation from other series.
I would actually like more tracks added rather than more cars. I know some of the cars are out of date and all that but it doesn't make them bad cars or any less fun to drive. More tracks though is fun for every car !

I understand your point but in that prespective aren't all the other games being sold due to the content they have wich is the cars?

Yes but they are not likely officially licensed just granted use of their likeness and logos which i would assume makes it significantly cheaper. I honestly don't know all the ends and outs of the licensing, but that is the way I see it. Plus like I was saying lot of it comes down to the race teams letting them scan the car and get their data. With all the time it takes to get the cars licensed, scanned, and then made in the sim takes quite a while as cars generally come out a 4-6 months after they are announced.

For fun I just looked back and since Ive been on iracing almost 4 years they have only released 7 "new" cars. That's just counting for 1 ruf and not all since its the same car more or less with tweaks with 3 of those being the GT3 class and not counting the ford gt gt3 since its a old car with tweaks. There have been 5 different cars updated, the V8 SC, all 3 top nascar series and the DW12 and that's not counting the multiple cars for the top nascar series since they use the same data and scan just different bodies so they are all the same.

I dont really understand the need for more and more cars, generally when more cars are released it just dilutes participation from other series.
I would actually like more tracks added rather than more cars. I know some of the cars are out of date and all that but it doesn't make them bad cars or any less fun to drive. More tracks though is fun for every car !

I agree. I think they need to focus more on getting tracks than more cars.

I think maybe not so many series but more car options for fewer series.

Ok, dreamland time. Imagine Iracing with this options:
BMW Z4, FORD GT, RUF, McCLAREN MP4, AMG SLS, FERRARI 458, AUDI R8, LAMBORGHINI HURACAN, ASTON MARTIN V12 VANTAGE, NISSAN GT-R, BENTLEY CONTINENTAL and SRT VIPER. Am i missing anything?

Ok, dreamland time. Imagine Iracing with this options:
.... McCLAREN MP4.... Am i missing anything?

Yes the correct spelling of McLaren
Sorry couldn't help it...Being from NZ it's something that bugs me when spelled wrong.

Back