iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
In iRacing I almost always use the paddles, but will manually blip on cars that allow it (MX-5, Mustang, etc). From what I see, almost nobody properly heel and toe downshifts in iRacing and instead use paddles or use an H-shifter, but don't blip or use the clutch.

New iRacing development blog highlighted quite a few things coming #soon and future developments
http://www.iracing.com/the-seasons-end-and-half-life-3-confirmed/
  • New UI
  • Nurburgring in December
  • Mclaren due December with DRS
  • WIP Tyre compounds for the Mclaren, due later
  • Potential partnership with the Nurburgring may bring VLR series
  • Pit sharing being added, able to add up to 60 cars at Daytona, Sebring and Spa as well as the Nurburgring. Moe tracks being opdated over time
  • Southern National Motorsports Park maybe due December or soon after
  • Budgeted significant development dollars to enhancing the “sound” of iRacing
  • Next build will feature all new backfires, gravel, grass, dirt, and marbles effects. All of this debris will have corresponding sounds which really make a dramatic difference to livening-up the cockpit environment. The debris is more than “just” an effect. It will be picked-up by your tires and flung-off as it would in the real world, even affecting the traction. That feature may not make the build, but we are planning on making debris visible on the tires as well which will obviously be most noticeable on the open wheel cars.
  • Made some great progress toward its completion. DX11 has actually been a part of the alpha testing process already and we were able to gather some excellent feedback. Several of the alpha testers have been testing with it almost exclusively at this point.

A majority of the shaders and effect systems have been ported over to the new graphics API independent layer. As part of this process several of these systems were re-written for better performance. Of particular note is the post-processing system (which in DX9 implements depth of field) was re-written to make it easier for us to add future effects.

• You’re really going to need to have 6 Gig of RAM to probably even run the Nurburgring.

Last edited:
New iRacing development blog highlighted quite a few things coming #soon and future developments
  • New UI
  • Pit sharing being added, able to add up to 60 cars at Daytona, Sebring and Spa as well as the Nurburgring. Moe tracks being opdated over time
  • Next build will feature all new backfires, gravel, grass, dirt, and marbles effects. All of this debris will have corresponding sounds which really make a dramatic difference to livening-up the cockpit environment. The debris is more than “just” an effect. It will be picked-up by your tires and flung-off as it would in the real world, even affecting the traction. That feature may not make the build, but we are planning on making debris visible on the tires as well which will obviously be most noticeable on the open wheel cars.
  • Made some great progress toward its completion. DX11 has actually been a part of the alpha testing process already and we were able to gather some excellent feedback. Several of the alpha testers have been testing with it almost exclusively at this point.

A majority of the shaders and effect systems have been ported over to the new graphics API independent layer. As part of this process several of these systems were re-written for better performance. Of particular note is the post-processing system (which in DX9 implements depth of field) was re-written to make it easier for us to add future effects.

• You’re really going to need to be running this already and have 6 Gig of RAM to probably even run the Nurburgring.
So excited! But I may need a new PC :)

Shifting up through the gears is easy. It's the downshifts which kill the speed because of the need to rev match. Even the puny MX5 will spin out if downshifting too quickly without matching the rev. Of course I haven't mastered that skill by any stretch, but the best can't compete with a semi-auto transmission on the downshift.

Changing the Setting to remove the Clutch and only use the Paddles seemed to completely eliminate the need to rev match. I could downshift haphazardly without fear of locking the rear tires at all (risking eventually damaging the engine, of course).

Just trying to determine the best settings to be on equal footing with the general population.

There has been bunch of debate on the iracing forums about this topic and the short answer is that for most everyone the fastest way will be using paddles and left foot braking. Shaun Cole from the simpit did a video a while back where he used one car and went through all the different ways to shift and he was fastest using the paddles with left foot braking and using the auto blip to automatically rev match the downshifts for him. I'll post that video below.

There was a transmission guide I had saved that listed all the trans for each car so you know how to properly shift it but I cant seem to find it. You can do more research on the topic on the iracing forums as there have been a bunch of posts about it.

Maybe there is a slight disadvantage to running the auto blip so you don't need to use the clutch but for most people they are going to be fastest using auto blip. You can take the time to learn to heel toe better and run without aids but it really comes down to what car you want to end up racing. At this point the oval stock cars, miata, mustang and maybe a couple others only still have a regular H pattern box. Cars like the HPD, Williams F1, some of the GT3 cars and a few others have full sequential trans so the car blips for you so you can run zero assist and still freely shift up and down with the paddles with no need for clutching or blipping and no assist "disadvantage".

Personally I just use auto blip on the cars that need it and paddle shift with left foot braking. I don't have a shifter anyway but I race oval and road so for oval once your up in 4th your not shifting any so don't matter and the road cars I do drive I use auto blip and no assist on the cars I can like the HPD. I don't drive any H pattern trans cars on road courses really except for the stock cars and I just use auto blip.

• New UI

• You’re really going to need to have 6 Gig of RAM to probably even run the Nurburgring.

I read this yesterday as well and sounds like the new updates are going to be awesome. I'm not exactly sure the Mclaren will be out in December. They don't really say one way or the other, other than the two tire compounds wont be ready in December. I hope it does come out because with the way they are doing it more like real F1 sounds pretty cool.

I know many here wont get to excited for it but I'm ready for Southern National or SNMP as its known. This is one of my home tracks and I will be there next weekend helping out friends at a big race and I'll be racing there myself next season. Track is only hour and half away from where i live now and 30 mins from where I grew up so went there some as kid and now a few of my friends that are fellow iracers have won track championships there this past season and last season as well as another friend works there at the track some and is a spotter for the track owners son. I knew they scanned it a while back since my buddy that works there some told me the iracing guys were there, but wasn't sure when it would come out. Pretty cool deal.

So excited! But I may need a new PC :)

:lol: I'm the same! All the new stuff sounds awesome but I'm going to need to upgrade my ram even before Nurburgring comes out. I've had the same gaming PC since I got on iracing little over 4 years ago with only upgrading the video card shortly after I got it. I'm only running 4gb of ram now so going to step it up to 8gb. Hoping to order it in the next day or so. Been wanting to build another gaming PC the last year or so but trying to get my real race ready has been taking up those funds lol.

I just bought the Tundra (NASCAR Truck). Watkins Glen this week and Daytona next. Nothing like throwing a stock car around a road course! :P

Just found this Sound preview for the McLaren MP4-30:

tumblr_inline_nlvytoMem51qgcxj0.gif

"It’s December: nearly time to ring-in the New Year and 2016 Season 1. But before you break out those noise-makers, silly hats and the bubbly, there’s the little matter of Week 13. Yes, Week 13 is nearly upon us and even as the IndyCar Winter Seriescontinues apace with the Dallara DW12 at Spa-Francorchamps, iRacers can take their pick from an unprecedented variety of official and unofficial series from December 8-14.

The official series offer a final chance for iRacers from Rookie to Class B to climb to the next rung on thelicense ladder in time for 2016 Season 1; not to mention an opportunity for iRacers of all stripes and license levels to enjoy some iRating-and Safety Rating-free sim racing.

iRacers can advance to the next license level in several official road and oval series. The 13thWeek Street Stock series features 30 lap races on Charlotte’s Legends track as well as Lanier, Oxford Plains, South Boston and Thompson International Speedway while the 13th Week Mazda Cup consists of 20 lap races in the Mazda MX-5 at Charlotte (road), Lime Rock, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Okayama (short and long) and Summit Point Raceway (full course and Jefferson reverse).

Street Stocks and MX-5 not your cups of tea? Not to worry. The 13th Week iAnalyze Truck Series will see the Chevrolet Silverados and Toyota Tundras running a different track each day of the week (Daytona 2011, Daytona 2007, Charlotte and Phoenix 2008) the 13th Week iAnalyze Ruf Cup – Fixed has the Ruf C-spec racing seven different road courses (Summit Point, Okayama, Lime Rock, Laguna Seca, Summit Point Jefferson, Charlotte and Okayama short) in as many days.

And speaking of “ringing-in” the new year, as you may have heard, iRacing will be releasing both the Nürburgring’s Nordschleife and GP-Strecke in the new build. So to help everyone learn their Flugplatz from their Pflanzgarden, once the new build is released we’ll be running the Nordschleife Tourist Hot Lap Competition once the new build is released. A solo, single lap qualifying for GT3 cars using the Nordschleife’s “Tourist Configuration,” you might call the Hot Lap Competition a Week 13+ Series as it is slated to run for six weeks, with 20 minute sessions starting every 10 minutes.

Safety Ratings and iRatings are in effect in all of these official series, offering competitors the opportunity to boost their license ratings before promotions for Season 1 are finalized at week’s end. Likewise, rookies who have yet to complete the category-specific minimum participation requirements for graduation to a D license (two official races or four time trials in each category) can do so.

The week’s unofficial competition features the Carburetor Cup at Talladega Superspeedway with the Gen6 Chevy SS, Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry, along with the Pick-Up Cup for the Silverado and Tundra at Phoenix International Raceway circa 2008, while road racers can tackle Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with the 2011 Dallara in the Dallara Dash.

And that’s just for openers. Also on tap are the 13th Week Figure 8 with the VW Jetta TDi and Pontiac Solstice on the Figure 8 layout at Irwindale Speedway and, once the new build is out, the 13thWeek Rumble in the Pines, featuring the Super Late Models in 40 lappers on our latest short track – Southern National Motorsport Park.

Last but surely not least, those hankering for the ultimate challenge will get their wish when the new build is released with the 13th Week iRacing McLaren F1 Winter Sprint. As the name suggests, the series will feature sim racing’s highest tech car in the form of the McLaren MP4-30 on the Nürburgring’s GP-Strecke."

Iracing released a screen shot of Southern National little while ago. It will be it the update next week. They originally weren't sure if it would make it but glad it will be. I was there this past weekend for the big thanksgiving classic race helping a friend and fellow iRacer Clay Jones and he was able to get the win in his class before leaving for Florida to race in the snowball derby against nascar stars like Chase Elliott.

Can't wait to race it on Iracing and will be finishing up my real race car this winter and racing out there myself next year.

image.jpeg

I'm actually hyped for the new effects, you will now actually be able to see people locking up, or I would able to if I could race because my pedals just broke :mad:

I wish they would go back to pre NTM. I had those tires nailed, now that they keep changing them every build I can't get up to pace. Some continuity would be nice for those of us who don't race often.

I wish they would go back to pre NTM. I had those tires nailed, now that they keep changing them every build I can't get up to pace. Some continuity would be nice for those of us who don't race often.

Since about 3-4 builds prior, the physics have really started to go down hill. I don't know what they changed, but now setup adjustments don't work the way they should, trailbraking causes immense understeer, and I have zero feel of what the car is doing in relation to the ground. Honestly it's just awful now. Which is sad because I love the community around iRacing, I love their staff, and I used to love the sim and give it praise unlike any other sim in existence. I'd go as far as to say that Assetto Corsa and even P CARS feels better and more realistic at the moment. Move iRacing back a few builds and it goes back to being at the top, but not with its current state.

Since about 3-4 builds prior, the physics have really started to go down hill. I don't know what they changed, but now setup adjustments don't work the way they should, trailbraking causes immense understeer, and I have zero feel of what the car is doing in relation to the ground. Honestly it's just awful now. Which is sad because I love the community around iRacing, I love their staff, and I used to love the sim and give it praise unlike any other sim in existence. I'd go as far as to say that Assetto Corsa and even P CARS feels better and more realistic at the moment. Move iRacing back a few builds and it goes back to being at the top, but not with its current state.
I have found that the current physics make being competitive much easier than other sims. Most other sims require you to push a lot to set good laps, whereas pushing in iRacing tends to make your laps slower. I think this has to do with trail braking causing a lot of understeer. This could be a good thing to help new people feel better by being closer to the fast guys, but I think it makes it more difficult to improve because you can't just push harder to go faster since that will make you end up going slower.

Also these physics just don't really jive with me very well. I tend to trail brake a lot (at least in other sims) and I find it to be a lot of fun to trail brake deep into corners.

Recently, I've been enjoying my time in rFactor 2 a lot more than iRacing. It feels a lot more satisfying to get a good lap in rF2 because I have to push really hard to get them.

Tires still work like NASCAR tires too, they are really fast for 1-3 laps then they fall off drastically, no matter the car, weather, etc. Realistically they should be slow out of the box, and gain speed as pressures and heat rise, and then fall off as the race goes on, sometimes faster than others depending again on car, weather, driving style, etc. I still enjoy it, but don't race on it as much as I used to because I'm always busy, so maybe I don't notice the changes as much as someone who plays it more frequently?

On a positive note, Nurburgring! Sadly, my dinosaur PC I don't think will be able to handle it and I don't have the $$$ for a new one.. A VLN series would be amazing.

Hello, I'm thinking of buying iRacing, and I'm looking at reviews, asking questions, but I've not seen a iRacing video on bonnet cam. Does it exist? I am one of the top players on GT6 but I've never used the cockpit cam, so I'll be having a hard time to get used to it if it's the case.

Hello, I'm thinking of buying iRacing, and I'm looking at reviews, asking questions, but I've not seen a iRacing video on bonnet cam. Does it exist? I am one of the top players on GT6 but I've never used the cockpit cam, so I'll be having a hard time to get used to it if it's the case.
Cockpit cam is the only camera you can drive with in iRacing. You can have other angles in replays though.

Back