iracing.com

• Thread starter red7
  • 21,570 comments
So... what can I do to get this computer to run iRacing at pretty much max graphics (I am useless with computers)? Or at least anything I can do to make this more powerful?
Trade it in for a desktop pc ($1000 built yourself or $1500 pre built) to get close to max graphics. Your getting all your gonna get out of what you have.

So... what can I do to get this computer to run iRacing at pretty much max graphics (I am useless with computers)? Or at least anything I can do to make this more powerful?
Upgrading laptops is next to impossible. I'm surprised that you had anything above 30 FPS with full graphics before hand. I suggest setting a reasonable budget and building yourself a desktop. Maybe get everything setup and ready for black Friday or post 1080ti release. Then make your purchases.

Something along these lines would be great. You could even spend $50 less on a cooler and still have an excellent cooler. Also save $20 by getting a 1 Tb HDD.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NdF7RG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NdF7RG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: *GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: *Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($399.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1331.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 18:44 EDT-0400

Last edited:
I'm not running full graphics, the cockpit mirrors and any digital RPM (that shows the RPM number) is what makes the framerate 🤬 itself. I'm getting about 38-45 FPS in the RUF GT3.

I'm not running full graphics, the cockpit mirrors and any digital RPM (that shows the RPM number) is what makes the framerate 🤬 itself. I'm getting about 38-45 FPS in the RUF GT3.

The in car mirrors always have been a frames killer. I've always used the virtual mirror or whatever it's called. Regardless if you have to use dx9 to even make it playable your going to have to look into upgrading because in the next build in December they are doing away with dx9 and it will be dx11 only.

Hey now...

Don't know if you've been on today, but they released the car this morning when they released the patch. I haven't had a chance to get on and drive it yet won't be until little while later, but looks like it's going to be awesome!

I don't get much time on iRacing at the moment, so didn't even know they were releasing the Audi and the Nissan. Managed to get online last night and saw the Nissan, was surprised to see it there, so I purchased it (because I cant help myself :lol:).
Just did a little test session around Philip Island in the Nissan...Wow that car is incredibly fast !!
I am pretty rusty with my driving at the moment, but was pretty much taking turn 1 at Philip Island foot flat to floor at 260+ kph :eek:

If you're in a practice session with faster guys just switch views to ride with them for a few laps to see what they do different to you.
It does take a while to figure out the fast long corners there, just watch others, be patient and practice, you'll get there :)

Also, sometimes it helps me switch to a noticeably faster or slower car for a short while then come back (otherwise I feel like I am beating my head against a wall) but it depends on how you think you'll react. Everyone is different. The Skip Barber car is a good one to try for a little bit.

Bit of a first day rant, but it's meant to be funny.

So I'm brand new to iracing, a grand total of 5 races in the last 24 hours in which I have had my membership. Now, my first question is, what the poop? Seriously, I have been crashed out completely not of my own doing in 4 of my 5 races. I've attempted to avoid where I could but I was either too close or everything was happening where I could not see and I was totally blindsided. 4 races have been at Charlotte and 1 at Lime Rock, and I came 2nd at Charlotte in the race I didn't get obliterated.

Race 1: Charlotte - Qualified 6th and stayed with the lead pack, not in it. I more or less watched things happen since it was my first race and I wanted to get a feel for things. Running 4th a few lengths behind the battling podium places, the race passes lap 15 I think it was and I think, "Right, time to see if I can make a move." So I went hammer down and pulled up to 3rd place's bumper, the very next corner 1st and second come together and take out the whole group in the process because we were all so close.

Race 2: Charlotte - Qualified 4th this time and was again with the lead pack, being a little more aggressive but much more wary of my opponents now. The leader wasn't exactly of the sporting attitude and was constantly trying to run people onto the apron or way up the track when a pass was attempted. This was duly noted in my head, but for reasons of wanting to win I had to attempt moves. On lap 14 or 15 as the lead 5 this time are really tightening up the pack the unsporting leader takes to the apron in the middle of turn 3 and 4 and just comes up into the pack and smashes us all up pretty badly.

Race 3: Charlotte - (I've been deprived of oval racing, leave me alone okay? :P) This was the good one, a real cracker of a race, having started 3rd I shoved the pole sitter and I out to the lead and stayed in line for a couple laps waiting for the inevitable huge crash the rookie class is known for. It happened and then it was just myself and the leader for a while, I managed to get to the inside line thanks to a mistake on the leader's part but they stayed to my outside due to the wonderful simulation of side drafting. Having watched this and eventually making a mistake that put me back to second I mirrored this technique. A pair or rivals did eventually creep up behind us but being 2 wide pretty much the whole lap every lap gave little opportunity for them to make a move. With 3 to go the leader and I made door to door contact which nearly got me into the wall but easily put me back to 4th. On the start of the final lap I let off the throttle thinking it was over because the flag was only in the corner of my eye, I quickly realized it was not but the mistake turned out to be genius. In turn 1 and 2 there was a very odd "coming together" of 2nd and 3rd, quite literally the cars morphed into 1 and my extra gap gave a new found run up to get me past them. I didn't quite have enough run left to get the leader who I finished 0.15x seconds behind.

Race 4: Charlotte - My buddy from the previous race was also in this one starting 4th while I started pole. I managed to keep the lead for a little while but a few laps after the start my new friend got an incredible run on the outside lane and cleared me completely. 2 laps later I duplicated the move but alas we had a couple of very hungry hounds right with us who mixed things up heavily. One of them I should have known to not trust, it was the exact orange of the Donald's face, anyway he went to the middle to make it 3 wide between myself on the outside and the 4th person in our pack on the inside going into turn 3, not cool. My friend decided on the front straight to attempt to break up the 3 wide by giving the car on the inside a push, which in turn got him a little loose, the Donald got scared and veered right just enough to hit me and send me into the wall. At this point everyone was so close that a massive crash was inevitable, and indeed it was. I got the worst of it by slamming into the pre-turn 1 wall, flipping, and spinning on my top into the inside wall and coming to rest on my side, game over.

Race 5: Lime Rock - I decided to give the MX-5 a go to see what it was like. I entered the practice session with pretty much all the time to use, and smashed up a few cars in the process of getting braking points and throttle stuff established. I smashed the crap out of my car in qualifying so I started from the rear, which I thought would be for the best, I was wrong. I stayed to the outside on the initial start just to kind of see what happens but apparently I got a good launch and was sort of in the pack. Anyway this blue MX-5 decided it would be a great idea to make it 4 wide on the very inside of turn 1, he promptly clipped the grass and went headlong straight into my right front wheel. His car was fine somehow but mine was burnt toast. I was so angry I may have purposely called him a bad name in the chat, anyway that was that race over before it really even got going.

So yeah, that was my first day on iracing, it is certainly not my last as I love the way everything feels, I just need to find my way out of the Rookie classes very quickly.

I just need to find my way out of the Rookie classes very quickly.

Yes!

Don't worry, it does get better - particularly when you get out of rookies. Sure, there's still going to be occasional idiot around but over time you get to recognise them and learn to keep out of the way for the most part.

Whilst you're in rookies make it your aim to to finish each race and don't worry too much about your finishing position. You'll be in D class in no time and then the fun (in a good way!) begins.

If I remember rookies correctly, the best plan to get out was to either start in the pits and stay in the back and avoid crashes, or qualify first and have the pace to gap the field by a couple seconds a lap. With either motion always drive extremely defensively, don't fight for position. Just let them overtake and overtake them back when they crash into someone else.

If I remember rookies correctly, the best plan to get out was to either start in the pits and stay in the back and avoid crashes, or qualify first and have the pace to gap the field by a couple seconds a lap. With either motion always drive extremely defensively, don't fight for position. Just let them overtake and overtake them back when they crash into someone else.

This!

There are people still in rookie class from when I first signed up 3 years ago, only because they don't know how to play the game properly,

Bit of a first day rant, but it's meant to be funny.

So I'm brand new to iracing, a grand total of 5 races in the last 24 hours in which I have had my membership. Now, my first question is, what the poop? Seriously, I have been crashed out completely not of my own doing in 4 of my 5 races. I've attempted to avoid where I could but I was either too close or everything was happening where I could not see and I was totally blindsided. 4 races have been at Charlotte and 1 at Lime Rock, and I came 2nd at Charlotte in the race I didn't get obliterated.

Race 1: Charlotte - Qualified 6th and stayed with the lead pack, not in it. I more or less watched things happen since it was my first race and I wanted to get a feel for things. Running 4th a few lengths behind the battling podium places, the race passes lap 15 I think it was and I think, "Right, time to see if I can make a move." So I went hammer down and pulled up to 3rd place's bumper, the very next corner 1st and second come together and take out the whole group in the process because we were all so close.

Race 2: Charlotte - Qualified 4th this time and was again with the lead pack, being a little more aggressive but much more wary of my opponents now. The leader wasn't exactly of the sporting attitude and was constantly trying to run people onto the apron or way up the track when a pass was attempted. This was duly noted in my head, but for reasons of wanting to win I had to attempt moves. On lap 14 or 15 as the lead 5 this time are really tightening up the pack the unsporting leader takes to the apron in the middle of turn 3 and 4 and just comes up into the pack and smashes us all up pretty badly.

Race 3: Charlotte - (I've been deprived of oval racing, leave me alone okay? :P) This was the good one, a real cracker of a race, having started 3rd I shoved the pole sitter and I out to the lead and stayed in line for a couple laps waiting for the inevitable huge crash the rookie class is known for. It happened and then it was just myself and the leader for a while, I managed to get to the inside line thanks to a mistake on the leader's part but they stayed to my outside due to the wonderful simulation of side drafting. Having watched this and eventually making a mistake that put me back to second I mirrored this technique. A pair or rivals did eventually creep up behind us but being 2 wide pretty much the whole lap every lap gave little opportunity for them to make a move. With 3 to go the leader and I made door to door contact which nearly got me into the wall but easily put me back to 4th. On the start of the final lap I let off the throttle thinking it was over because the flag was only in the corner of my eye, I quickly realized it was not but the mistake turned out to be genius. In turn 1 and 2 there was a very odd "coming together" of 2nd and 3rd, quite literally the cars morphed into 1 and my extra gap gave a new found run up to get me past them. I didn't quite have enough run left to get the leader who I finished 0.15x seconds behind.

Race 4: Charlotte - My buddy from the previous race was also in this one starting 4th while I started pole. I managed to keep the lead for a little while but a few laps after the start my new friend got an incredible run on the outside lane and cleared me completely. 2 laps later I duplicated the move but alas we had a couple of very hungry hounds right with us who mixed things up heavily. One of them I should have known to not trust, it was the exact orange of the Donald's face, anyway he went to the middle to make it 3 wide between myself on the outside and the 4th person in our pack on the inside going into turn 3, not cool. My friend decided on the front straight to attempt to break up the 3 wide by giving the car on the inside a push, which in turn got him a little loose, the Donald got scared and veered right just enough to hit me and send me into the wall. At this point everyone was so close that a massive crash was inevitable, and indeed it was. I got the worst of it by slamming into the pre-turn 1 wall, flipping, and spinning on my top into the inside wall and coming to rest on my side, game over.

Race 5: Lime Rock - I decided to give the MX-5 a go to see what it was like. I entered the practice session with pretty much all the time to use, and smashed up a few cars in the process of getting braking points and throttle stuff established. I smashed the crap out of my car in qualifying so I started from the rear, which I thought would be for the best, I was wrong. I stayed to the outside on the initial start just to kind of see what happens but apparently I got a good launch and was sort of in the pack. Anyway this blue MX-5 decided it would be a great idea to make it 4 wide on the very inside of turn 1, he promptly clipped the grass and went headlong straight into my right front wheel. His car was fine somehow but mine was burnt toast. I was so angry I may have purposely called him a bad name in the chat, anyway that was that race over before it really even got going.

So yeah, that was my first day on iracing, it is certainly not my last as I love the way everything feels, I just need to find my way out of the Rookie classes very quickly.

Well, the thing is this:

You need to learn how to drive in traffic.

Try and gain as many positions in the race as possible, but don't make stupid moves that rookies won't expect... those end in crashes.

Never start from the pits... because that counters what the rookie series is for: learning how to drive in traffic. You need to learn that... otherwise you're not ready to get out of rookies.

Basically everything that I'm saying can be summed up into this video series here (watch it, you need to in order to be the best off you can):

Also don't drive in RUF GT3. Everyone dies. Including me.

RIP my SR... going down the toilet at the moment.

On the other hand, if you don't die, you'll do extremely well! (I finished P5 out of 9 cars finishing on the lead lap)

Also 1800 iRating! Getting there!

So I was just scrolling through iRacing's car list today and saw "Dirt Super Late Model."

This may be my last league season on GT6. I had a short running with iRacing 2 years ago and I loved it. I think it is finally time for me to take the switch!

DIRT SUPER LATE MODELS :dopey:

EDIT: OMG :drool:

@kolio They are trying to get dirt out in the next build in December. No confirmation yet though. There will be 3 versions of the late model, limited, lm stock, and the super. Same car just different engine sizes. Also going to be a dirt version on the street stock and dirt tires/version on the NASCAR truck as well as the sprint car in the tweet you posted.

They have scanned both eldora and Williams grove but no word whether both tracks will be available when dirt is released and they are going to make a dirt version of USA speedway which is already on the service but the track isn't there in real life anymore.

They are also going to have a Ford Fiesta rallycross car as well with rallycross courses built within existing tracks like Daytona.

@kolio They are trying to get dirt out in the next build in December. No confirmation yet though. There will be 3 versions of the late model, limited, lm stock, and the super. Same car just different engine sizes. Also going to be a dirt version on the street stock and dirt tires/version on the NASCAR truck as well as the sprint car in the tweet you posted.

They have scanned both eldora and Williams grove but no word whether both tracks will be available when dirt is released and they are going to make a dirt version of USA speedway which is already on the service but the track isn't there in real life anymore.

They are also going to have a Ford Fiesta rallycross car as well with rallycross courses built within existing tracks like Daytona.
Wow. Now this is some serious news for me! Holy cow!

I am super excited for this. And I don't even have a current iRacing subscription!

I finally found the news articles on their website to read more about it. I even watched the videos they posted on YT.

Whether I get to have iRacing by then or not, I am going to be excited. I just want to see it. Now! :D

I'm also led to believe that there will be a dirt variance of the current 'wingless' sprint car,

Well guys the video I posted was of Iracing announcing the Ferrari 488 GTE coming soon but now they have deleted the video off YouTube and also their tweet about as it as well. Kinda strange :confused:.

Edit: After a quick browse on the Iracing forums it seems the car in the video was a GT3 not the GTE so guess that's why they took it down. Blog post about the car coming is still up.

Last edited:
Well guys the video I posted was of Iracing announcing the Ferrari 488 GTE coming soon but now they have deleted the video off YouTube and also their tweet about as it as well. Kinda strange :confused:.

Edit: After a quick browse on the Iracing forums it seems the car in the video was a GT3 not the GTE so guess that's why they took it down. Blog post about the car coming is still up.

Honestly I thought it was the Risi competizione teams car from IMSA,

Honestly I thought it was the Risi competizione teams car from IMSA,

I thought so as well which would be the GTE spec or GTLM for Imsa correct? Maybe that's not the reason they took the vid down just something I saw on the forums from a random persons post. Either way we are getting car which is awesome 👍.

$20 for the Ferrari name? :sly:

Haha. I know they said a while back the licensing cost were so much it wasn't worth it for them to do a Ferrari. I guess that's changed.

I thought so as well which would be the GTE spec or GTLM for Imsa correct? Maybe that's not the reason they took the vid down just something I saw on the forums from a random persons post. Either way we are getting car which is awesome 👍.

Haha. I know they said a while back the licensing cost were so much it wasn't worth it for them to do a Ferrari. I guess that's changed.

I think IMSA's GTLM is GTE spec on a cheeseburger diet with a bit more power, but someone like @holdenhsvgtr would probably know better,

Back