IRS Indy Lights Season 5 | Saturdays 9PM Eastern | Noir wins the Finale and the Championship

• Thread starter aceboy127
  • 150 comments
The only problem I had after last night the car was a little loose on throttle in the long sweeping turns other than that I think. I will be running some more practice laps tonight. Gotta get braking points down

5/25/5 felt good for me
Already went through similar settings and didn't notice something got better. LSD settings are really very subtitle in the Junior. But I'm a karting boy most of the time and too much used to it, everything else just feels strange to me :lol: But thanks for your reply, appreciate that 👍:cheers:

Did quite some testing yesterday and finally getting closer to the settings. Also consistency got way better. I think I have a long way to go to keep up with the faster guys here but really enjoying to drive the Junior and looking forward to saturdays race 👍

@aceboy127
Couldn't find the Indy Lights decal, I really tried hard. Did I something wrong?

@seslab

One thing I did find near the end of my practice and it shaved almost a second off my lap times was instead of my normal technique of brake-turn-coast-gas, I found that if I braked late and stayed on the brakes while turning through the apex I could keep the car much tighter to the apex and drive out clean without using runoff. Also holding a higher gear through the corners helped with stability so 3rd instead of 2nd or 4th instead of 3rd. Was good enough for low 6’s pretty consistently.

The guy with the real answers though is probably @Antares26. I am sure he has it all figured out by now. Wonder if he has any input he would like to share. Like my 5 year old throws in my face any time I have something he wants, sharing is caring, lol.

@aceboy127

Thanks for the link, looks like it worked, will have a look later in the evening 👍

@Whitey093

Thanks ones again for sharing 👍 I already tried late brake into apex and also worked for me. Still need to make it a "standard" in my brain in order to get used to it :lol:
Also the higher gear helps me, but not always for some reason, still some work to do here as well . I was racing karts for 99% of the time since December 2017 and had a GTS break for pretty long time now. I'm trying to get all this amount of information in the right drawer right now, saturday is approaching quick, it's not going to be easy :D
Other than that, I dougt Antares will give me some kind of information on that. He wants revenge for the karting league, I've to give him that :D I guess it's the same for Dylan and Ace, they all would love to kick my ass :lol:

Thanks a lot for your comments, I'll definitely go deeper into that :cheers:

Last edited:
So, as of now the updated results and points are now posted. Now time for the championship victory scenarios (excluding bonus points).
@Antares26 will be champion if he finishes ahead of @Dylan and finishes 3rd or better.
@Dylan will be champion if he finishes ahead of @Antares26 and finishes 3rd or better.
@Michelin will be champion if he wins and @Antares26 and @Dylan finish 4th or worse.
@aceboy127 will be champion if he wins and @Antares26 finishes 6th or worse and @Dylan finishes 5th or worse.

So, as of now the updated results and points are now posted. Now time for the championship victory scenarios (excluding bonus points).
@Antares26 will be champion if he finishes ahead of @Dylan and finishes 3rd or better.
@Dylan will be champion if he finishes ahead of @Antares26 and finishes 3rd or better.
@Michelin will be champion if he wins and @Antares26 and @Dylan finish 4th or worse.
@aceboy127 will be champion if he wins and @Antares26 finishes 6th or worse and @Dylan finishes 5th or worse.

I'm probably not making tomorrow because I got a birthday party to attend. :/

I'm struggling with my setup. I can't tune out the massive oversteer in the final two turns, and I'm just slow off of every other corner. My lap times are all over the place. I just can't get any consistency.

Last edited:
Downforce ratio of this car is weird and can really mess you up if done wrong. Camber makes a world of difference with these cars though, both on ovals and road courses.
I've found that out last night having some extended testing. Especially camber but also toe. Regarding camber it looks like PD have made improvements compared to GT6, where in most cases one could get best grip with zero camber. But with toe angle it seems to be weird in GTS compared to GT6, at least with the Junior. I'm still working on that.
The aero issue seems really strange since the Junior has been designed by Adrian Newey, the aero master himself. In such cases we could expect a superb balanced aero, just like it was on GT6. Today will also be aero day for me in practice, hope I can find something there ;)
Thanks for your comment btw 👍

I'm struggling with my setup. I can't tune out the massive oversteer in the final two turns, and I'm just slow off of every other corner. My lap times are all over the place. I just can't get any consistency.

I was on the same situation 3 days ago. The Junior has already the tendency to oversteer on turn entry, at least compared to karts, that gave me a hard time. On top of that and as you mentioned, the last two turns make this even wors. The most difficult will be to find a setting that makes the back stable without sacrificing the grip on other turns.
I think at the end it's going to be something between settings and driving by tiny corrections through the steering and changing the way of braking, just as Whitey mentioned above ;)

@aceboy127

Just one question regarding track limits on the Redbull Ring. In particular on turn 1 and in some ways on second last turn. Going off track there can give a huge advantage. In turn 1 I could gane about 0.4s (if not more) by going wide. In F1 they have the same issues there and the Marshalls are controlling that constantly during qualifying and race.
For Saturday's qualifying this is gonna be impossible and in race only after viewing the replay, 56 laps and +10 racer, gotta be a long day ;)

Should we count on the honesty of every one? Or activate track limits penalties?
Or simply forget the track limits for these two turns in a exeptional way?
Didn't try track limits penalties on this particular track, will try it tonight. If they are like at Monza in the past it's going to be a penalties festival :lol:

I thought about track limits too the other night. The big issue I saw is that the cars using the runoff just slammed into my rear under braking because I was braking sooner and harder to stay on track. The corner speeds are vastly different if you plan to use runoff or not. Could be an issue during the race. I wish pd just implemented tire walls to contain people to the actual track limits. Would end the debate.

Tried the shortcut penalties right now and they have no effect on this track. Even shortcutting the turns, which is not really fast, did have no effect, nothing zero nada.

Edit: Even trying as hard as I can, no penalties giving. In this case we should maybe allow to beyond the track limits at this point. At least it will avoid any discussions aftermath. What do you think guys?

Édit 2: Managed finally to get a penalty :lol:

2nd turn of the double lefter. Cutted a bit to much the inside curb, had to lift gas to avoid to spin, 8 seconds while losing time anyway by lifting the throttle.

Last turn. Went a bit to wide on the exit loosing time again, 10 seconds.

And miracle, first turn. Went also too wide on the exit and got 2 seconds. BTW got rid of the penalty while braking for 2nd turn, which is kinda pathetic. So weird, wend wide +20 times (for testing purposes of course :D) and never got a penalty. Suddenly I get one. No Idea how PD programed the penalties on RBR but it's very inconsistent.

Last edited:
We've always had the honor rule of just lifting whenever you cut or carry a lot of speed by going wide. It may be better for everyone to just stick to it cause the amount of penalties I got in seslab's lobby was inconsistent and even penalizes you when you've already lost time by going wide.

Btw @seslab, watching your transmission was really helpful. Helped a lot even for full fuel pace. Thanks ;)

You stole my transmission, you thief :lol:
Didn't expect you to learn something from me in this car, you're welcome :cheers:
I mean you're the one who taught me how to set up the gears for karts, it was just common sense for me to assume you had something special in this too, and I was right.

OK everyone, I have gotten everything updated. I didn't get the best laps from the replay yet, but I will plan to do that this evening and get it posted tomorrow. Thank you all for another great Indy Lights Season and I cannot wait for what is coming next.

I can't speak for the administators though I can tell you the Series is great fun and well populated with competition for moderate to staight up alien pace drivers. Expect it to return after the league cycles through a different themed series or two.

Back