Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Thread starter Joel
  • 400 comments

Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Total voters
I don't know if the American Council Of The Hot Dog is different from the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, but I already posted this in December that they said no:

Looks like we’ll have to pit them against each other if the lasted verdict is different from the previous.

The question is slightly unfair.

The hotdog may be technically a sandwich, but you would never offer a friend or family member a sandwich then snub them with a hotdog.

Don't analyze it, eat it!
Exactly. You do not want to know what is in a hotdog. Its origins are said to be in the sweepings off the butcher shop floor after the days work was done. Tradition has it this includes sawdust, snot, human hair and all manner of offal fallen to the floor during the day.

Exactly. You do not want to know what is in a hotdog. Its origins are said to be in the sweepings off the butcher shop floor after the days work was done. Tradition has it this includes sawdust, snot, human hair and all manner of offal fallen to the floor during the day.
Bon appétit.

After years of intense internal debate with my own self, I have now finally made my decision that a Hot Dog is just that....

.... If we start labelling a hot dog as a sandwich, then what is stopping us from putting the taco under the sandwich category, when we all know that putting a piece of meat in between some "bread" is not always called a sandwich...

A hot dog and a taco cannot be sandwiched, or can they...

If you hollow out a sausage and use it to drink milkshake you can eat the straw afterwards.

I use these, called Benny's Meat Straws, when I make Bloody Marys. They are life-changing on a Sunday morning when you have a pile of eggs, some toast, an avocado, and a whole bottle of Cholula hot sauce.

bennys_original_straws_product.png

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

balance.png

But no, I think the definition of a sandwich is something between two slices of bread. A hot dog is eaten within a roll so therefore it doesn't qualify. Like how wraps aren't called sandwiches but are still things served within an amount of bread.

Last edited:
The question is slightly unfair.

The hotdog may be technically a sandwich, but you would never offer a friend or family member a sandwich then snub them with a hotdog.
Snubbed? It's an upgrade. 👍

Middle of the road point of view ...
From a lawyer's perspective:

A sandwich is not necessarily a hot dog,

But a hot dog can be a sandwich....

Last edited:
They have replied! :D
D0C6582C-C945-4466-8AEE-8942E07D96F6.jpeg

Link:
http://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-sandwich

A resounding statement of no, not just from the Hot Dog council, but a laundry list of celebrities. From Matt Damon to the New York Mets (apparently :lol:)

Limiting the hot dog’s significance by saying it’s ‘just a sandwich’ is like calling the Dalai Lama ‘just a guy’. Perhaps at one time its importance could be limited by forcing it into a larger sandwich category (no disrespect to Reubens and others), but that time has passed. We therefore choose to take a cue from a great performer and declare our namesake be a “hot dog formerly known as a sandwich.

Last edited:
In a thread which was dead until I bumped it, to ask a National Hot Dog Council, to answer a question they’d already answered 6 years prior.

I couldn’t be more proud. :cheers:

In a thread which was dead until I bumped it, to ask a National Hot Dog Council, to answer a question they’d already answered 6 years prior.
Their response, which you quoted above.
Limiting the hot dog’s significance by saying it’s ‘just a sandwich’ is like calling the Dalai Lama ‘just a guy’.
If foods can be significant, sandwiches are very significant.
They've added the word "just", suggesting they see sandwiches as something to deride. Jumping to the defence of their raison d'etre in the face of, not a threat, but a request for opinion. I don't trust them.

The Dalai Lama is just a guy.

Don't christians (so about 2/3 of Americans?) believe that all men are created equal or something like that? The hot dog council have effectively just told all those people that a hot dog is a sandwich.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That depends if we accept the (I suspect self-appointed?) "authority" of one specific group.
Of course, we have to accept it. Who are we to contradict the knowledge and findings of The Hot Dog & Sausage Council.

Last edited:
I don't know if the American Council Of The Hot Dog is different from the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, but I already posted this in December that they said no:
Are they like the People's front of Judea vs the Judean People's front?

The first bit no, the second bit yes.

Our 13 millionth post is about day drinking Bloody Marys in a thread about whether hot dogs are a sandwich or not. I hope you're all VERY PROUD OF YOURSELVES.
Well, at least it wasn't about a 2.2 Camry.

Back