• 400 comments

Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Total voters
Even Wikipedia agrees with the Council. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog
Or do they :odd:

United States[edit]
Main article: hot dog

In the United States, sausage sandwiches are widely popular. One variety, colloquially known as a hot dog, is particularly popular, especially at sporting events, carnivals, beaches, and fairs.[6][7] They are also sold in many delis as well as food stands on street corners of large cities. Many American hot dog vendors also serve Polish, Italian, Mexican, and German (e.g. bratwurst) sausage sandwiches in addition to their regular fare.

Sausage sandwiches that come on toast, a bagel, an English muffin, a biscuit, or kaiser roll are generally referred to as breakfast sandwiches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_sandwich

:dopey:

I win because the page I referred to is specifically about Hot-Dogs. Yours is about Sausage Sandwiches in general. :D

*sigh*

Create Thread --> "Is A Hot Dog A Sausage?"

I'm sure that would be a much shorter, to-the-point thread, though.

upload_2021-1-27_9-40-19.png

One of my mates sent me this tweet last week and we ended up in an hour-and-a-half debate as to the full metrics of how to designate things as salad or sandwich in this scenario.

Hot Dog did end up classed as a sandwich.

Last edited:
A quick search shows references as far back as 2013. :nervous:
That's where I got my 8 years from ... :lol:

But I didn't search long enough to find the original post.

What I've learned so far:

1. I always thought a Hot Dog (part of it anyway) is that long erected meaty thing.
  2. After a while when reading through this thread I thought that the Hot Dog part was the sauce. Why because I always (during my active career in this thread) misread sausage as a sauce instead of that long erected meaty thing.
  3. A few minutes ago I looked up Hot Dog again and Wikipedia talked about that long erected meaty thing as a sausage. Then it hit me. Sausage doesn't mean sauce but a long erected meaty thing. :eek:
End of story. Thanks for reading and enjoy your popcorn Hot Dog.

What I've learned so far:

1. I always thought a Hot Dog (part of it anyway) is that long erected meaty thing.
  2. After a while when reading through this thread I thought that the Hot Dog part was the sauce. Why because I always (during my active career in this thread) misread sausage as a sauce instead of that long erected meaty thing.
  3. A few minutes ago I looked up Hot Dog again and Wikipedia talked about that long erected meaty thing as a sausage. Then it hit me. Sausage doesn't mean sauce but a long erected meaty thing. :eek:
End of story. Thanks for reading and enjoy your popcorn Hot Dog.

you must not be from America then...

As you finally understoood, the Long erected meaty thing is the sausage...

and when the sausage is inserted within (or SANDWICHED in between) two pieces of bun, it is called a Hot Dog because the sausage is kept nice and warm inside, topped with slimey sauces of different flavor... some like the sauce to be red, some like yellow.... others like both, (and even with relish/chili/bbq etc....)

The whole thing is called for simplicity a HOT DOG... but not a sandwich, a sandwich is another type of food.

Last edited:
The cube rule aims to settle this debate once and for all:

https://cuberule.com/

Number 5 is misnamed; it's listed as "salad" in the key but "quiche" with listed examples. Salad then appears as 0, no structural starch.

If a salad is anything free of structural starch, I'm sure glad whiskey counts as a salad.

Back