Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Thread starter Joel
  • 400 comments

Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Total voters
Is it? The weird bit about hot dogs is that the sausage is placed in a slotted bun/roll (:lol:). You could slice the bun completely in two and sandwich the sausage, that would transform it into a hot dog sandwich, but it is not typically served that way, not to mention that it becomes considerably more difficult to eat once the bun/roll is in two separate pieces.

I'd say a hamburger is more closely related to sandwiches than a hot dog is, because a hamburger is a true sandwich.

I don't consider a hot dog to be a taco either. I have never seen anything referred to as a taco that didn't at least involve a tortilla of some kind. The hot dog really is quite unique in how it doesn't really fit into either the taco or sandwich category that well.

It depends on how the bun is sliced.

A taco (at least in the way you're using that) is obviously an open-faced sandwich. Obviously. But the question of is a hot dog a taco... well...

What is a taco? Or what is taco? Because taco sometimes refers to the ingredients that go inside the "taco shell". You can get taco pizza for example, or taco salad, or taco wraps.

So there's taco, and then there's a taco. Is a taco salad a taco? This is an area of thought that I've never explored.

Yes a hot dog is a type of sandwich. It's just that it itself is quite a specific item that a broader-but-accurate categorisation seems unsual, even redundant. You might as well ask "Is a hot dog nominally meat protein and bread starch?" Well... yeah but how basic do you want to go?

A pizza is a mixed salad on a very large crouton. It's just not information that appears or is necessary day to day.

I think the technique utilized during consumption plays a significant part in differentiating between a hot dog and a taco.

With a taco, the shell remains upright as the head is cocked. With a hot dog, the bun remains upright (which is to say the cut end remains upright, though the bottom of the bun itself may or may not be at the bottom, depending on how it's cut) and the head remains upright.

I think the technique utilized during consumption plays a significant part in differentiating between a hot dog and a taco.

With a taco, the shell remains upright as the head is cocked. With a hot dog, the bun remains upright (which is to say the cut end remains upright, though the bottom of the bun itself may or may not be at the bottom, depending on how it's cut) and the head remains upright.
Head placement and head angle is certainly an interesting way to go about it. Personally, it has nothing to do with that though. It's about the sausage being placed between the buns (bun?). That's what makes it a sandwich.

If bread is the base, with contents supporting it, it's a sandwich.

Head placement and head angle is certainly an interesting way to go about it. Personally, it has nothing to do with that though. It's about the sausage being placed between the buns (bun?). That's what makes it a sandwich.

I wouldn't think bread is a requirement for a sandwich. I gave some examples earlier, not the least of which is the ice cream sandwich.

I think I'd normally turn my head to eat a hot dog, depending on how much it had piled on top of it.

A taco (at least in the way you're using that) is obviously an open-faced sandwich. Obviously. But the question of is a hot dog a taco... well...

What is a taco? Or what is taco? Because taco sometimes refers to the ingredients that go inside the "taco shell". You can get taco pizza for example, or taco salad, or taco wraps.

So there's taco, and then there's a taco. Is a taco salad a taco? This is an area of thought that I've never explored.

Are you sure? What does it mean to "sandwich" something? Does that involve containing the thing with one object or two? I think if you tried to "sandwich" something with one object, that would be called a wrap, or perhaps a turnover. It depends on whether the slicing creates a slot or completely splits the container.

So maybe we're looking at it the wrong way, maybe hot dogs, subs, calzones and tacos are wraps, and completely unrelated to true sandwiches?

Hilarious thread. :lol:

Are you sure? What does it mean to "sandwich" something? Does that involve containing the thing with one object or two? I think if you tried to "sandwich" something with one object, that would be called a wrap, or perhaps a turnover. It depends on whether the slicing creates a slot or completely splits the container.

So maybe we're looking at it the wrong way, maybe hot dogs, subs, calzones and tacos are wraps, and completely unrelated to true sandwiches?

Hilarious thread. :lol:

Yes a hot dog is a sandwich (the meat is sandwiched between portions of bread). A layer cake is also a sandwich, as is a pizza, a pita, a taco, a burrito, and a twinkie. Most food is a sandwich.

debunked (ice cream sandwich, no bread):

retrieve.cfm

Also debunked (meatball sub sandwich, one piece of bread):

meatball.png

Also debunked (this is a half sandwich made out of one piece of bread):

IMG_20121015_121613.jpg

Here are 15 examples of sandwiches with no bread:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalo...ead-sandwiches?utm_term=.nrzb9x3Q4#.wwZkDa6m9

Here are 13 more:

http://www.minq.com/food/19649/13-ways-to-make-your-favorite-sandwiches-without-using-bread/#page=1

The lists go on and on. Of course I think you're wrong to classify the ice cream sandwich as not a sandwich - given that it's ice cream sandwiched. I also think the dude holding the sandwich board is a sandwich.

You can define only a "traditional" sandwich as a sandwich, but you'd be ignoring over a century of common usage. Once sandwich became a verb, anything resulting from the verb can be nounified from the verb. So although a sandwich originally was meat and bread (as apparently coined by Mr. Sandwich), once "to sandwich" referred to everything under the sun which has been smooshed between anything else, you can then referred to anything which has been "sandwiched" correctly as a "sandwich" referring to the verb.

You're trying to tell me that if you smear peanut butter and jelly on a piece of bread, and fold it over, you have not made a half-sandwich. Seriously? You don't think a sub sandwich is a sandwich. It's in the name. You don't think an open-faced sandwich is a sandwich... it's in the name.

The folded PBJ is a wrap or taco until you slice it along the seam and then it's a sandwich? No.

I wouldn't think bread is a requirement for a sandwich. I gave some examples earlier, not the least of which is the ice cream sandwich.
I don't recall reading your post about that. But I wasn't saying bread was required either. But more implying since a hot dog sandwich has bread and a hot dog, that it is a sandwich, along with many other things.

Google, from some other source I don't particularly care to look that much into:

verb
  1. insert or squeeze (someone or something) between two other people or things, typically in a restricted space or so as to be uncomfortable

This could also be used to define sandwich of sorts. This works well for the ice cream sandwich. Thing(s) being place between something else.

I've eaten waffles as a sandwich before with just peanut butter between.

Now that I think if it, baked potatoes are also sandwiches when cut in half and filled with condiments.

This thread sounds like it would be a Vsauce video. For a serious answer, I'd say a hot dog is a sub.

Oh you better believe that's a paddling.

But I never paddled the school canoe. I've paddled a canoe before, but not at school. My mom does teach at a university but she doesn't teach about canoes.

You're trying to tell me that if you smear peanut butter and jelly on a piece of bread, and fold it over, you have not made a half-sandwich. Seriously? You don't think a sub sandwich is a sandwich. It's in the name. You don't think an open-faced sandwich is a sandwich... it's in the name.

The folded PBJ is a wrap or taco until you slice it along the seam and then it's a sandwich? No.

The established name doesn't matter, it's the action that results in the sandwich that's important. The sandwich was born when someone took two (not one, but two) pieces of bread to contain additional food. So no, your folded-over PBJ is not a sandwich yet, not until the container is two pieces. Two objects containing something else, that's what "sandwiching" means. The (one) slice of bread is wrapping the PBJ. Not a true sandwich. :lol:

someone took two (not one, but two) pieces of bread to contain additional food. So no, your folded-over PBJ is not a sandwich yet, not until the container is two pieces.

I think every hot dog I've ever had has been on a single piece of butterflied bread rather than two individual pieces. This would suggest that it is not a sandwich and instead more of an open calzone. That is unless a butterfly sandwich is accepted as a variation of sandwich.

If someone calls a hot dog a sandwich, then to them it is a sandwich. If someone says that hot dog is not a sandwich, then to them it is not a sandwich. Ultimately what matters for communication purposes is that each individual is able to understand what the other means when they say "a hot dog". Since whether or not a hot dog is a sandwich is highly unlikely to effect this, the argument is essentially pointless.

I could declare that in my own personal dialect of English that a hot dog is a type of nuclear power station and I'd technically be correct. But since no one would understand what I meant when I used a definition of "nuclear power station" which includes hot dogs I would only be impeding my own ability to communicate with others when doing so.

Pedantically trying to push one's own personal definition of a term as being the one true correct one runs counter to reputable linguistic standards and is a practice deeply rooted in classism, xenophobia, racism, ableism, and religious intolerance. That doesn't mean that saying "a hot dog is/isn't a sandwich and you're wrong if you say otherwise" means one is being a bigot of course (that would be absurd); but it rapidly becomes the case when, rather than being prepared to accept that a different group of people use language differently to one's own group, one instead chooses to push their own personal version as the one true correct definition or usage.

Perfect communication is impossible, but accepting differences in how people communicate and how people percieve the world is essential to ensuring that communication is achieved as effectively as possible. Whenever the question "is a hot dog a sandwich?" comes up, there are likely to be two outcomes. In one outcome opposing parties accept each other's differences and try to understand their conflicting viewpoints in order to improve their ability to communicate with each other. In the other they have a circular argument shouting "nuh uh you're actually wrong" at each other and nothing of value is gained.

In the hot dog discussion it is easy to remain civil since the subject matter doesn't really matter all that much. But when the subject is, say, how to refer to the archipelago which contains both the island of Ireland and the island of Great Britain, suddenly things can become far more heated. (Fortunately in that case it seems that the respective governments within said archipelago have found the relatively neutral solution of just saying "these islands" whenever possible rather than some more politically loaded term.)

It's about the sausage being placed between the buns (bun?).
In the bun. Yeesh. Don't hurt yourself.

:P

That's what makes it a sandwich.
But I was talking about tacos.

Bases are themselves support structures.

You don't think a sub sandwich is a sandwich. It's in the name.
You're my hoagie hero.

The established name doesn't matter, it's the action that results in the sandwich that's important.
Like a stew.

If someone calls a hot dog a sandwich, then to them it is a sandwich. If someone says that hot dog is not a sandwich, then to them it is not a sandwich. Ultimately what matters for communication purposes is that each individual is able to understand what the other means when they say "a hot dog". Since whether or not a hot dog is a sandwich is highly unlikely to effect this, the argument is essentially pointless.

I could declare that in my own personal dialect of English that a hot dog is a type of nuclear power station and I'd technically be correct. But since no one would understand what I meant when I used a definition of "nuclear power station" which includes hot dogs I would only be impeding my own ability to communicate with others when doing so.

Pedantically trying to push one's own personal definition of a term as being the one true correct one runs counter to reputable linguistic standards and is a practice deeply rooted in classism, xenophobia, racism, ableism, and religious intolerance. That doesn't mean that saying "a hot dog is/isn't a sandwich and you're wrong if you say otherwise" means one is being a bigot of course (that would be absurd); but it rapidly becomes the case when, rather than being prepared to accept that a different group of people use language differently to one's own group, one instead chooses to push their own personal version as the one true correct definition or usage.

Perfect communication is impossible, but accepting differences in how people communicate and how people percieve the world is essential to ensuring that communication is achieved as effectively as possible. Whenever the question "is a hot dog a sandwich?" comes up, there are likely to be two outcomes. In one outcome opposing parties accept each other's differences and try to understand their conflicting viewpoints in order to improve their ability to communicate with each other. In the other they have a circular argument shouting "nuh uh you're actually wrong" at each other and nothing of value is gained.

In the hot dog discussion it is easy to remain civil since the subject matter doesn't really matter all that much. But when the subject is, say, how to refer to the archipelago which contains both the island of Ireland and the island of Great Britain, suddenly things can become far more heated. (Fortunately in that case it seems that the respective governments within said archipelago have found the relatively neutral solution of just saying "these islands" whenever possible rather than some more politically loaded term.)
Lawyered.

I can't believe that I never posted in this thread. Anyhow, a hot dog is a sandwich. What else is it? You can't call it a sub because they tend to be bigger and are filled from the side, not the top. You can't call it a roll either because rolls tend to be round. The sausage is contained in a bun, in the same way that two pieces of bread contain the food in your sandwich.

We're answering the real questions here on GT Planet aren't we?

In Kentucky this is a sandwich. Jordan can back me up on this. ( I grew up in Louisville.)

Kentucky Hot Brown open faced sandwich.
tousey_house_hot_brown_9325638e-b703-45c4-8116-80cea8629f93.jpg

There is s slice of toast under that.

Now that I think if it, baked potatoes are also sandwiches when cut in half and filled with condiments.
Eh, maybe.

Potato open faced sandwich?
0pJXTIm.jpg

open faced Chilli cheese dog sandwich

IZigiXD.jpg

“Open faced sandwich” is a particularly broad term isn’t it?

Realistically, any material, contained by another, but in such a way that a large portion of the filling is still visible (open faced), could be an “open faced sandwich”. Hot Dogs, Tacos, Subs, Philly Cheese Steaks, roast meat rolls... potted plants?

Is an “open faced sandwich” a sub-category of sandwich? Or, due to the definition of a sandwich, is it something else entirely? :odd:

You can use sandwich as a verb outside of cuisine. Some examples:

- You could be sandwiched between multiple cars in a car accident
- You could be sandwiched between two strippers
- You could be sandwiched in a conga line

The word "sandwich" became so synonymous with something being placed between two (or more) other things, that we found it useful to apply outside of culinary use.

Where I think the confusion for the hot dog is coming from, is that some people probably see the sausage being placed between the two connected halves of the bun as "sandwiching." In other words, although the bun itself is still one object, it has "two halves" from the partial slicing, so it comes down to abstract thinking. Of course, if someone were to completely slice the bun in half, the hot dog becomes a bona fide sandwich at that point.

Additionally, if someone were to place something between two nonidentical objects, they might see that as "sandwiching." For example, butter in between one slice of bread and jam.

So it comes down to personal preference.

So...I'm just going to put this here.

A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein bread serves as a container or wrapper for another food type.
Take from it what you will.

In Kentucky this is a sandwich. Jordan can back me up on this. ( I grew up in Louisville.)

Kentucky Hot Brown open faced sandwich.
tousey_house_hot_brown_9325638e-b703-45c4-8116-80cea8629f93.jpg

There is s slice of toast under that.

Eh, maybe.

Potato open faced sandwich?
0pJXTIm.jpg

open faced Chilli cheese dog sandwich

IZigiXD.jpg

If you can't eat it with a single hand, without using cutlery and without getting that hand covered in food then by the original definition it isn't a sandwich. :)

That's not to say that other food that can also be eaten that way are sandwiches.

The established name doesn't matter, it's the action that results in the sandwich that's important. The sandwich was born when someone took two (not one, but two) pieces of bread to contain additional food. So no, your folded-over PBJ is not a sandwich yet, not until the container is two pieces. Two objects containing something else, that's what "sandwiching" means. The (one) slice of bread is wrapping the PBJ. Not a true sandwich. :lol:

Your definition of what sandwiching means is too narrow. It eliminates a lot of accepted uses of the word sandwich. Which is why you're fighting notions of a folded half-sandwich, open-faced sandwich, sub-sandwich, breakfast sandwich, wrap sandwiches and on and on. You can sandwich something between two of anything, including two halves of the same layer.

delish-sheet-pan-quesadillas-still002-1525448942.jpg

This is cheese sandwiched in a folded tortilla. Now you might think I'm wrong to use the term that way, but did anyone misunderstand me? Did anyone have trouble reading or understanding that sentence? I'm using English, and it seems to be working correctly. You think people would have no idea what I'm talking about until someone takes a bit out of the seam, and then people would be like "oooooh, yea now it's sandwiched".

Comeon.

Edit:

BTW, nobody is going to believe this but... this conversation is very nearly what I do for a living.

Last edited:
So is the Hot Dog I posted previously in the quote below (in all it's crowning glory hehe @TexRex) the only true hot dog? The roll (yes, we call them hot dog rolls where I'm from) isn't sliced at all so I'm not sure it qualifies as a sandwich. These are more often than not the cheapest versions available and once you want to add more exotic toppings other than butter, sauce or mustard they do need to be sliced, then becoming more of what could be called a sandwich?

Just asking :sly:

They're not always sliced ;)

View attachment 950801
A cheap and nasty hot dog maker.
UTB8pbGsw8ahduJk43Jaq6zM8FXaM.jpg_350x350.jpg

And hot dog rolls. :D
026162.jpg

Last edited:
So, conclusion: a Hot Dog is sandwiched between two half of a bun.
And the end result is itself a hot dog (the link/frank/sausage/weiner is itself commonly referred to as a hot dog), which may or may not be a hot dog sandwich.

If you can't eat it with a single hand, without using cutlery and without getting that hand covered in food then by the original definition it isn't a sandwich. :)

That's not to say that other food that can also be eaten that way are sandwiches.
Slow your roll.

Some sandwiches can easily be eaten single-handedly. We're talking things like a peanut butter and jelly, a grilled cheese, a cucumber sandwich (in its simplist and tastiest form, it's just bread, cream cheese, sliced cucumber, salt and pepper)...things of this nature. The contents actually help to keep the whole package together.

But take a good turkey club. It meets the classic definition of a sandwich. You've got toasted slices of crusty bread, which are themselves quite sturdy. And directly on that bread, you've got mayo and mustard. No problems so far. Then you add your sliced turkey, which is ideally sliced somewhere around an eighth of an inch, your sliced tomato, your lettuce and your bacon. All of these things simply rest on one another. There's no melted cheese helping to keep things together. So you cut it in half and make it easier to handle, right? Not so fast. The crust actually increases the strength of the bread. Removing that reinforcement doesn't make things easier, rather it pretty much balances out because it's now two smaller, weaker things.

And that's just a single club. It's common practice to double the contents and add a single toasted slice. The single isn't a drippy mess, but you still need two hands to eat a good one.

So is the Hot Dog I posted previously in the quote below (in all it's crowning glory hehe @TexRex) the only true hot dog? The roll (yes, we call them hot dog rolls where I'm from) isn't sliced at all so I'm not sure it qualifies as a sandwich. These are more often than not the cheapest versions available and once you want to add more exotic toppings other than butter, sauce or mustard they do need to be sliced, then becoming more of what could be called a sandwich?

Just asking :sly:

A cheap and nasty hot dog maker.
View attachment 951088

And hot dog rolls. :D
View attachment 951091
Wait, they're...inserted?! You just cram your meat into those soft buns.

tenor.gif

"Made with Love"? That's not love...

Last edited:
So...I'm just going to put this here.

Take from it what you will.
This is clearly some kind of psyop intrusion against those dear and harmless dictionary people by venomous sandwich globalists who just wanna turn every darn thing that's pure and beautiful into one big grey featureless sandwich.

Hot dog truth NOW!

Back