Is anyone else disappointed with GT5?

• Thread starter allmoo
  • 2,452 comments
sadly, that won't happen unless someone FORCES those changes to happen.

like Scott Walker from Wisconsin.

worker unions simply have too much power right now and it'll take someone who's willing to ignore the negative feedback that will result from the re-balancing of power

Really? Unions have never had less power than they do today, as is clearly evidenced by laws that prevent strikes, and the fact that CEO's of the S&P 500 make roughly 260 times the average worker. This is up from 40 times in 1980. That doesn't happen if unions are getting stronger, that happens when management gets stronger and stronger, and takes more of the pie for themselves -- because the workers are powerless to stop it.

You can step out of the brainwashing machine any time now -- it seems to be totally clean and scrubbed. 👍

Yup, a little bit. It's still the best driving game out at the minute, though so I still play it, just not as much as previous iterations (however, I was 19 when GT1 came out and therefore had far more spare time to burn)

I just hope PD takes advantage of the possibility of DLC.

How many fvcking Toyota Yaris/Vits are in this game?
I mean, there's a premiun version and a bunch of standards, I'm trying to get all the car and I feel like I've bought 15+ Vitz already.
I can understand the need for a ****load of Skylines and Miata's that have a certain 'pedigree' in the Japanese market, but the Vitz?? really?? does anyone actually likes or use this car for anything other that the event on A-spec?

This is one of the things that baffles me about PD decisions, they decided to model and program the characteristic of God knows how many Vitz wasting memory and resources instead of using it to at least improve the texture of race cars like the Peugeut 905 Race car, that thing is a monster but looks like ****, improving texture resolution isn't a big deal and certainly easier than programing driving characteristic of the same POS car 15+ times.

Caliper
How many fvcking Toyota Yaris/Vits are in this game?
I mean, there's a premiun version and a bunch of standards, I'm trying to get all the car and I feel like I've bought 15+ Vitz already.
I can understand the need for a ****load of Skylines and Miata's that have a certain 'pedigree' in the Japanese market, but the Vitz?? really?? does anyone actually likes or use this car for anything other that the event on A-spec?

This is one of the things that baffles me about PD decisions, they decided to model and program the characteristic of God knows how many Vitz wasting memory and resources instead of using it to at least improve the texture of race cars like the Peugeut 905 Race car, that thing is a monster but looks like ****, improving texture resolution isn't a big deal and certainly easier than programing driving characteristic of the same POS car 15+ times.

Winge winge winge

GT4 Wikipedia
Reviewers criticize the game for its continued lack of rendered damage. Instead of actual damage, the cars (depending on the speed and angle in which the collision occurred) simply bounce or spin off of the car, wall, or obstacle.[16][20][21]

Reviewers complained of the continued ability to take unrealistic short cuts,[20] such as the ones on Fuji Speedway 90's, Driving Park Beginner Course and Circuit de la Sarthe I, where the driver can cut right across the chicane, allowing a player to win by cheating. One reviewer also complained that cars do not have enough grip.[22]

The game has also been criticized for lack of online play which had been promised during early development, but was announced as being removed at the time of release.[23][24][25]

Many reviewers expressed disappointment in the game's AI system,[11][22] noting that "virtual racers will follow their (driving) line with little concern for where the human driver is at any one time."[21] This is more evident during rally races and missions in which a 5 second speed penalty is given for hitting the other cars or the barriers, regardless of who initiated the contact.

Some critics found B-Spec mode to offer little to the overall experience.[20][22]

Read the complaints from the GT4 wikipedia article, compare to complaints on GT5... how the times change. :)

Just thought I would chime in and say that the goverment shoudl be of the people, by the people and for the people which is why it makes no sense when statements like "the people expect free lunches from the government" make no sense... the government should BE the people and so should be providing the people as the people are where the government gets it's money.

And yes governments are doing exactly that... telling the people they can't afford the things the government is supposed to adminstier (again for the people)... but if you look at why they can't afford it, it's not because there isn't enough tax revenue generated, it's because that tax revenue is being funnelled off into all sorts of things that don't benefit the people but tend to benefit military and corporate interests (which are often one and the same or at lesat joined at the hip).

So in the same way alchoholic parents tell their kids they can't afford new shoes for school this year (while not discussing how the money for shoes was blown on bottles of vodka) governments are indeed telling the people there is no money for the people... they just aren't being honest why it's that way.

In the US for example:

tlG0Y.jpg

But it's ok... it'll "trickle down" right?

So this is why you're disappointed in GT5? :confused::confused::confused:

GT5 is a great game with great flaws. The in game economy is all off due to the lack of different ways to make money. The licences test, while done well, literally are useless memory due to the fact the licence race restrictions are gone. The car sounds are terrible, it seems as if the sounds are all premade such as:

tuner sounds: A, B, C
Muscle: A, B, C
ect.

other than that the game owns....oh an rally is gone too :(

Just thought I would chime in and say that the goverment shoudl be of the people, by the people and for the people which is why it makes no sense when statements like "the people expect free lunches from the government" make no sense... the government should BE the people and so should be providing the people as the people are where the government gets it's money.

And yes governments are doing exactly that... telling the people they can't afford the things the government is supposed to adminstier (again for the people)... but if you look at why they can't afford it, it's not because there isn't enough tax revenue generated, it's because that tax revenue is being funnelled off into all sorts of things that don't benefit the people but tend to benefit military and corporate interests (which are often one and the same or at lesat joined at the hip).

So in the same way alchoholic parents tell their kids they can't afford new shoes for school this year (while not discussing how the money for shoes was blown on bottles of vodka) governments are indeed telling the people there is no money for the people... they just aren't being honest why it's that way.

In the US for example:

tlG0Y.jpg

But it's ok... it'll "trickle down" right?

Love it. Clear explanation for those who don't understand that the Internal Revenue Code is a moral, or, in this case, immoral, document.

There is Nurburgring.B-spec is for earning money.I am somehow disapointed too.i dont like the standard car.They made the game for 5years and still having standard cars.The shadow is also bad.In some track there dont even have a man in the pit.The car damage is really fake.i drove my X1 at 400km and hit the wall and nothing happened.the car should be crashed.The last is there are too many useless car.the sound is bad too.I want more dream car like reventon,one-77...... But its great i played gt5 everytime when i open my ps3

This game is a killer driving game, I love the driving part of it.

I am disappointed in the racing part of this game, it's nearly non existant, at least to me. But the game is labeled "The real driving simulator" not "The real racing simulator" So I guess you get what you pay for.

I don't mind the load times, the load times aren't that much worse than Forza (Yes I own them both) at least IMO, if they are it isn't a staggering amount.

The menu is horrible. Not being able to tune your car from the tuning shop is pretty dumb.

The sounds are pretty weak too unfortunately. Not just the engine/exhaust but the sound it makes when you hit another car is pretty lame too right?

The premiums are amazing, the cockpit view in premiums is better than Forza, or Shift etc. It just is. The standards however, not so amazing. And they make up 75% of the car selection right? Roughly? I know they don't have a cockpit view but the standard quality in general

I'm stuck with this game right now sadly, and it's incredibly frustrating, I don't have time to race the endurance races all the way through, and with the horrific things that have happened in Japan, I don't suspect the save feature is coming out anytime soon, and I obviously don't want them to be worrying about some video game with the tragedy that is happening there. So I am just playing something else!

I am disappointed in the racing part of this game, it's nearly non existant, at least to me. But the game is labeled "The real driving simulator" not "The real racing simulator" So I guess you get what you pay for.

So, uh, have you tried all those events when you're on the track with other cars? :dunce:

I'll repost what I've posted elsewhere.

GT5 is fun, yes. However the way they went about it is all wrong. People here have been saying how fun it is to just drive, which I agree to. What I don't agree to is the ridiculous XP requirements, coupled with an A-spec mode that is laughably short in events. It's like PD tried to make it be as slow as possible. Whether or not they used XP, there should be more events period. I don't find it fun racing the same events over and over to gain XP, I want to be able to race a whole slew of events with the large number of vehicles in the game and gain that same XP.

I'd say GT4 had the setup down perfectly. Numerous A-spec races using a variety of vehicles and types (individual races, championships, rally and snow races, one-make races, etc.), along with multiple prize vehicles and making you get licenses to move to the next level.

My issue with the low prize money also relates to the driving fun, in that with more money comes more vehicles that you want to drive. It is rewarding to grind a bunch and finally get that vehicle, but it comes at a cost of your sanity (while mine at least). With multiple races and more money, that win actually is great and you feel like you're making more progress faster.

Granted the fun is subjective for this game, depending on what you look for in it, but artificially lengthening that fun with grinding just creates tension and distrust.

👍👍
Good observation. The combination of atrocious AI ability and not being allowed to use any car in an arcade race is what really drags this game down for myself.
:)

I'm fairly disappointed, yes. I didn't buy GT5 to grind senselessly because my XP wasn't high enough to advance - I bought it to race, have a ton of cars to choose from, and not have to deal with dumb, mindless crap like you'd find in WoW.

Unsurprisingly, I haven't touched the game in a few weeks.

the only part I don't really like is b-spec.. it doesn't make sense that the ai will have to do more laps, if anything, the a-spec should be the one with more laps, it's the one you're playing ~_~ but yeah what the hell were they doing for 3 years.. there's a lot of cars they didn't put in the game that should realllllllllllllly be there. Oh well D:

I'm very disappointed with the lack of events for GT cars and Supercars. And the incredibly slow AI. GT5 probably will be my last Gran Turismo game I don't trust in Poliphony anyomore. Pc sim racing seems to be the way to go in the future. Lot of more contents, user friendly options, better hardware support, professional flag rules, qualifications, save game during championships, no standard cars, better physics..

Last edited:
I think that a lot of the complains are idiosyncratic. Everybody has a different idea of how a game should be and GT5 is the way KAZ thinks the game should be. Now there are some "technical" deficiencies in the game that shouldn't be there like jaggies, slow loads, slip screens,double shadows, AI just to name a few.

Disappointed? No... Yes a little (just like Gru). Wonder what they'll do with GT6 and when they'll launch it.

I still think Sony or some other random investor started to put the pressure on PD to finally release the GT games for both the PSP and PS3. And what we ended up with are games that were obiviously worked on, but never finished as they were intended.

I'm not going to pick each game apart with already said complaints. But I will comment on the lack of creative races/events in the PSP game, and the different direction GT5 went from the GT5 Prolouge. GT:PSP is so basic and simple it's almost a generic game. If not for all of the GT badging would you still consider it a GT game? For how much time was spent it's a pretty tame experience for a handheld.

As for GT5, the game does have a lot going for it. However, after playing GT: Prolouge the final real deal game of GT5 feels so different and unpolished that I'm starting to think Prolouge was actually meant to be the full game. Prolouge didn't offer as much, but it also didn't suffer from the same complaints as GT5.

TopHat
I'm fairly disappointed, yes. I didn't buy GT5 to grind senselessly because my XP wasn't high enough to advance - I bought it to race, have a ton of cars to choose from, and not have to deal with dumb, mindless crap like you'd find in WoW.

Unsurprisingly, I haven't touched the game in a few weeks.

I think thats more on you...What I don't like is lack of challenge, and OTHER racing games that charge 14.99 to uniock the game and have all the racing cars at your disposal, are kind of shameless, and really prey upon peoples utter laziness. It's kind of sad really. It's the Lazy-age!

What I'm 'disappointed' with is the event structure and level system. I'd like the game to respond to what kind of car I'm entering into that event, rather than giving me a list of 'typical opponents'. The fact then that the AI is slow means that the game is forcing me to choose a slower car to have any chance of a decent race. I think it's the game that should have to respond. I want to drive a certain car that fits the event's regulations, then the game should respond with a field of cars that can match my choice, however high or low the car's performance.

The grinding issue is a big one for me too. Why stymie the player's progress so much?

What I'd like to have seen:
Larger championships - 3 races for Super GT is not enough. Make it a ten-round series that you can take a break from (like you could in GT4) and offer a larger payout for winning it. None of the events to me are really ones I'd go back to, and repeat play with different cars etc. is a big factor to me.

Keeping the 'Countries' - In GT4 and previously I liked the fact that the events were split into various regions: Japan, Europe, US, Professional etc. That was good because it gave the sense of having a 'racing career' in each of those regions, even if the tracks in each series weren't exclusively from that country.

Licence vs. Level - I think it should be your licence that opens up new events to the player, like before. Having a level should've been put more to the kind of cars you could 'unlock' within each licence band. If you got all your licences done early, you'd still have to up your level to attain better cars to compete in the events.

Back