Is GT Sport a good game?

Yes

Edit: I figured you were probably looking for something more than a one word answer so here it is:

I tried GT2 Aspec (I think that is the correct version) years ago when I had a PS2 and loved it. PS2 died and the racing experience died with it. Thanks to COVID19 I had spare time to waste so in come a PS4 and GTS. I enjoy racing!

In my opinion GTS video quality is superb (comparable to PC Cars 2 which is my only other comparative racing simulator), and cars and track quality is superb. Offline racing against AI cars can be easy at times, other times quite hard.

Online racing can try a racer's patience with the current rules and some crappy driver's but for me I treat this as a game to have fun with. I really only give a crap about my SR, my DR can go to crap and I really don't care because it is a GAME which I play to have fun and meet awesome friends. Besides I have been racing for a few months so racing and can't really compete with people who have been racing for years.

The answer is YES, I like GTS but probably not like others. I don't get serious because it is a game.

Last edited:
Yes.

In single player, it feels as challenging as past versions. I've done Circuit Ex. and Missions twice. Finished GT League just recently. I do the Daily Mileage almost every day, still haven't got every car. And I still spend too much time on liveries and photos.

It's got a good platform for online play. Sports Mode can be hit/miss but that's on public gaming behavior. Organized lobby races are especially a blast.

Also I think 1 vs 1 is super under-rated. It's so much fun. It's what we all wished for long ago when playing split-screen. But we jumped in technology to 16 players. So 1 vs 1 gets no love. :lol:

It's just realistic enough that the cars handle predictably without being intimidating or impossible for casual gamers on DS4 to compete, while also offering endless ability to improve and get faster.

With a penalty system that made sense and the FF cars moved out of Group 4 it would be a great game.

A big yes. When COVID arrived GT Sport help fill that gap. I have been playing the online part for about four months.

1. It works on a console so there is no PC or graphics cards to futz around with. The investment is 400USD for console + game and an additional 50USD/yr for online access,
  2. The graphics are outstanding.
  3. The cars types can be distinguished by the physics model and there are resources like GTPlanet members that can explain it better than the instructional videos in the game.
  4. The online mode is a blast. Playing against other people has both good and bad aspects but it highlights the emotions that make us human.
  5. People gripe about the penalties and lobby appropriateness. Improvements are needed but the game gets it right more often than wrong.
  6. The Driving School and Circuit Experience sections provide decent training material allowing you to transition into the sport mode (online).
  7. I have played only the Daily races and there is an event on right now! Actually there are eight events per hour, three in parallel, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Enjoy!

I picked it up a few months ago for $15.00. Bang for buck it's the best $15.00 I've ever spent. I hadn't played a GT game since GT4.

The campaign mode is fun, but not as immersive as the older games, but it's fine.

When I got it I didn't really have much interest in the online mode, I felt a bit intimidated running against other people. Then I thought I'd give it a try. I love it, sure the penalty system is a bit of a mess, and it's frustrating when you cop a penalty for something not on you or you get wiped out & the guilty party only gets a few seconds, but it is what it is. I'm not a fast driver compared to most, but I try to be clean. I've only won a handful of races, but I still have a blast battling mid pack. I seem to have hit a wall with my laptimes, a few seconds a lap off the fast guys & I have no idea where I can get quicker when I nail a lap, I guess the penny will drop eventually. In the meantime I'm having a great time racing with the other drivers of similar skill to me.

I've found when there is a week with a daily race I enjoy I can't keep off it. The weeks where they are tracks/cars I dont like that much I play the single player mode.

I've also only just discovered replays. Wow. How good is that ****? My Dad came over the other day & I was watching a replay of a daily I'd just done. Dad thought I was watching a real race. lol.

Good compared to newer racing "simulators" such as Project CARS 3, yes. Good compared to past mainline entities in the Gran Turismo series such as... any one before, no.

What's considered good is merely subjective, so here are my opinions on the matter. Overall, no, it's not a good game. However, there are many good aspects to it, in the form of some useful content & features, etc.

There's a laundry list of things that should be fixed and can be fixed very easily however will most likely will never be fixed.

The engine, models, lighting and framework is amazing. Its the poor utilisation of these assets that lets things down.

I feel like GT7 building on GT Sport will be amazing but GT Sport being the 1st use of this engine means that many things are still very primitive.... and worse, they shouldnt be.

Sadly I dont see much in the way of fixes updates to get the game up to a really impressive standard.

In a way I feel like success is breeding stagnation.. in the same way I can point to issues with the way Rockstar Naughty Dog and other superstar companies are on a tired formula then PD is also on that path. I'm hoping GT7 fixes everything wrong with GT Sport because I dont expect GT Sport to progress much from May.

Unfortunately GT Sport is on its last legs as far as a game with updates goes. It's clear that PD have little intention to further improve GTS, however that in itself shouldn't be something that will make one not want to play the game, because overall it's a good experience.

Yes, it is a game worth playing, but not perfect.

It already has an impressive array of cars (imagine the growth of the roster in GT7) each with impeccable detail and sounds. Physics are arguably the best in any GT game (GT6 was too grippy; while GT4 was understeer hell). The Livery Editor is a GODSEND - you basically have limitless options and even have the capability to upload your own decals! And as well as being able to share your creativity. Photo Mode has vastly improved, with numerous filters to play with, and personally this saves me a lot of time editing the photos in the Photoshop. Porsche is a very welcome addition, and I'm always in utopia whenever I drive the 911s in the game.

Now, what are the faults?

The BoP and class system could seriously use a lot of tweaking. Thankfully GT7 will have Performance Points back. My main beef with balancing is that there are cars that are overwhelmingly dominant on certain tracks, and did not use the real-life BoP based on the circuit - a prevailing issue among the Group 3 class. N Class is a nightmare, mainly because there are certain cars that tend to dominate over others despite the BoP (I'm talking to you, 911 GT3 RS and GT40). Group 4 is the lesser evil.

Verdict? Well, it started out with a few problems, but time passed by and it blossomed into greatness.

I really like the offline portion of the game, but it gets boring after a while. The online part is much better and more fun, it does have its problems with the penalty system though since you can really abuse it to destroy people's races and get away with it. As I said the other day, your time penalty should be equal the time lost by the person you took out or you could be disqualified altogether.

Overall it is a incredibly polished game in terms of presentation and gameplay.

Yes, it is a good racing game.
It has personality and style.
Compared to Forza 7 which seemed too mechanized, you could instantly notice GTSport had a lot of thought.
The actual driving feeling is one of the best from the industry.
Still there is a lot of things it could improve (damage).

yes, both online and offline are really fun

if you love collecting cars and racing this game is just for you. If you also set goals to buy a car every day the game just gets more and more fun each time. BUT it needs more tracks, as racing on the same track just gets tiring, also if you plan to use it on a PS4, I recommend using the motion sense function for steering to make it easier if you don't have a steering wheel. To make it simple YES

Not so much a problem with games ,but players managing their time. Only reason the same tracks may feel tiring, is that many players race so much in on day.

Real racers and people that do track days, only race on the weekends. Players may be covering 200kms a day, at one circuit. There are plenty tracks in GT Sport. If players only raced on weekends, there'd be plenty to cover. ;)

For me sadly not,

Offline isn't good as older GT was, AI is quite bad and slow..it's always Chase the rabbit style.
You have to permanently be connected to internet even to save your progress offline.

Sport mode has problems in penalty system and driver rating, ACC for consoles is much better than GTS and serious in their rating system.

Normal online lobbies has a lot of bugs and issues (car stuck on start, autopilot not disengaging, players that don't see them between them on track or lobby...)

So for personalized lobbies I prefer Pcars 2, AC , and ACC

All of them don't need permanent online connection either.

Physics , damage isn't on top either if you're interested in simulation

Rally mode seem stuck in the 90's "sega rally" style instead of opting for modern rallycross style if they want to mantain car racing on dirt tracks

GT SPORT is bit more accessible to starters and pad users,nice graphical but don't have dynamic weather and day night cycle anymore,good photomode,replays and livery editor..but that doesn't make it for me a good game nore a good GT.

Hopefully GT7 get it right and lot of things fixed.

Back