is GT6's photo mode better than Forza 5?

That is because the Time of Day is fixed and never changes. Saying its updated is obvious, like I said, things get updated.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

This is not the place to get into that, I know the car problems was the case from FM4 to Horizon.
Updated doesnt equal rebuilt from the ground up. Thats what we can expect from a PS4 GT7 in comparison to the PS3 CELL based GT5 engine. Essentially, Forza 5 is Forza 4 at its heart like taking a standard car from GT4 and putting it into GT5. Thats it in a nutshell.

Updated doesnt equal rebuilt from the ground up. Thats what we can expect from a PS4 GT7 in comparison to the PS3 CELL based GT5 engine. Essentially, Forza 5 is Forza 4 at its heart like taking a standard car from GT4 and putting it into GT5. Thats it in a nutshell.
What you can expect, or what is confirmed to happen? I must have missed the memo that said GT is going to be rebuilt from the ground up.

But going off what you said, you should be fine with it, if we are going to talk about standards. I'll stop there though.

I like the logic jump that has one company carrying the same engine across two platforms (T10 apparently just building off FM1's original XBox-based engine all the way to current FM5), while we can "expect" a from-the-ground-up approach from a company that has gone on record saying they've already done just that once before (Kaz originally made comments that even GT5 Prologue had bits of the old bones in it; only did full GT5 truly start fresh from the engine side - though obviously, in the case of assets, that wasn't the case).

Where does CELL fit in to all of this?
GT5 equals CELL engine. Kaz said like creating an OS blah blah (hoping PS4 used Cell)
GT6 engine, however is easily ported to PS4.

I like the logic jump that has one company carrying the same engine across two platforms (T10 apparently just building off FM1's original XBox-based engine all the way to current FM5), while we can "expect" a from-the-ground-up approach from a company that has gone on record saying they've already done just that once before (Kaz originally made comments that even GT5 Prologue had bits of the old bones in it; only did full GT5 truly start fresh from the engine side - though obviously, in the case of assets, that wasn't the case).
Nope, GT6 engine is already built like Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and Sucker Punch's "Jobs engine" where it scales easily to PS4. GT6 game engine IS the GT7 engine just downscaled with low assets to run on PS3.
UNCHARTED 4 uses the Jobs engine from PS3 and did you see that E3 trailer of the game on PS4? expect the same for GT7 with GT6 engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, GT6 engine is already built like Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and Sucker Punch's "Jobs engine" where it scales easily to PS4. GT6 game engine IS the GT7 engine just downscaled with low assets to run on PS3.
UNCHARTED 4 uses the Jobs engine from PS3 and did you see that E3 trailer of the game on PS4? expect the same for GT7 with GT6 engine.

Wait, so you're arguing that GT7 on PS4 will be a brand new design... but then simultaneously saying it'll just be a scaled-up version of the engine already employed (on the PS3) in GT6? You know, the same thing you're complaining about the competition doing (despite not offering a shred of evidence to support that claim, I should remind you).

Glad that's cleared up then.

:confused:

Wait, so you're arguing that GT7 on PS4 will be a brand new design... but then simultaneously saying it'll just be a scaled-up version of the engine already employed (on the PS3) in GT6? You know, the same thing you're complaining about the competition doing (despite not offering a shred of evidence to support that claim, I should remind you).

Glad that's cleared up then.

:confused:
Um. . . . No.
because the engine built in GT6 was designed to feature X86 and GPGPU functionality while the competition is porting a Direct X8 game engine to direct X12 which it was never designed to do. and cant do next gen effects because of that reason.
The Jobs engine was designed for PS4 and scaled down to work on PS3.

In fact Forza's graphics engine supports real-time lighting in some way. It's used in Forza Horizon series, which does have 24h time change. Problem is that overall it's still not as advanced and polished as the GT's gfx engine and XOne can't handle it (rigth now) at 60fps, so Forza 5 still uses pre-baked lighting and primitive shadowing system from FM1 (except for shadows casted by cars). We will se what they can do for FM6.
Overall GT5 and GT6 are light years ahead of FM5 in tearms of lighting and GT7 on PS4 will most probably go even further.
On the other hand.. GT6 still uses that poor physics engine which remembers times of GT4. While driving model at medium-high speed is good or great... low speed physics are pathetic and just unacceptable.

Um. . . . No.
because the engine built in GT6 was designed to feature X86 and GPGPU functionality while the competition is porting a Direct X8 game engine to direct X12 which it was never designed to do. and cant do next gen effects because of that reason.
Thing is, GT6 is running off of GT5's, so being built from the ground up? No, they are doing exactly what you said Forza is doing. They are updating, and they did not start from scratch, build it or the PS4, and then hold back to release it on the ps3. Why would they do that when a game built or the PS3 already had frame rate issues with how hard they were pushing it already?

Where are all these claims coming from.

Um. . . . No.

Please. Just stop.

Please.

I can distinguish them from real thing in one second without any difficulty
Yes and that's the whole point, and it's the same case with both games. He didn't say he was confusing it with reality, he said it looks realistic.

It's blatantly obvious that you are just dismissing it e cause its Forza. The pictures you posted, don't look realistic at all, and yet this picture from forza does. It's like your trying to brainwash yourself.

To be honest, both games looks great. The difference to me is that GT6 photos looks like photographs, while FM5 photos looks more like what you'd see with the naked eye.

GT6 = photorealism. FM5 = realism.

So which is better? Well, if the goal is to produce pictures that look like photos, then I'd pick GT6 as the winner. If the goal is to produce pictures that makes you feel like you are actually there, I'd pick FM5. If the goal is to produce stunning and realistic pictures it's a tie.

Do check out both the photomode forums, there are some great pictures there!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/forza-5-photomode/

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/gt6-photomode/

Pretty much this, what I see in FM5 gives me the feeling of what I would see if I was in person, which is what I feel the direction of gaming should be going to immerse a person. The feeling I get and why people feel weird with FM is that GT gives you clean quality photographic like images that you'd see in a car magazine. Though nice, it's not realistic and thus people are so used to it (since most here are GT fans) so when a transition comes they're not open to the difference that are trying to be achieved by everyone else.

FM5 = realism?

Seriously... no. They got some serious mistakes on materials used in some cases, like the taillights lenses material during certain light conditions. In the photo below, it looks flat/cartoonish.

920f8b45-2a4e-4b2d-9f61-d06b7780cd73.jpg

In Forzavista, outside the track it looks really good. But inside the game/races/track... hmm not so much.

That McLaren P1 picture have very washed colors. Again, headlight material make it look fake. The blinker material looks flat. The only thing that looks good is the carbon material.

getphoto-63-jpg.182931

@diegorborges

The taillight isn't changing what so ever, and the light conditions is not altering it in any way. It's just light, being light. Looking at the left brake light you can clearly see the curvature to it, in the exact same light. The angle has alot to do with that as well.

The colors on the P1 is user set, not game based. The real p1 doesn't even have the light on, that's why.

Either way, it's already been shown many times in this thread, that FM can produce realistic photos as well.

FM5 = realism?

Seriously... no. They got some serious mistakes on materials used in some cases, like the taillights lenses material during certain light conditions. In the photo below, it looks flat/cartoonish.

And there's that word. Sorry, but I can't take the rest of your argument seriously.

I wish one of them was cartoonish. It would be nice to have a game with style to spare like Auto Modelista that didn't completely blow.

Agreed. I've said it before, I'd be happy with a Lego version of GT or FM. All cars and tracks modelled/rendered in legoland with realistic physics. 1/17th scale.

The track creation and car customisation options would be awesome. Standard cars could be modelled with the regular lego blocks, premium cars could have the smooth tile finish. Lego technics under the hood.

So, the GT5 engine can't be ported to the PS4, but the GT6 engine, which is very clearly based on the GT5 engine is easily ported to the PS4.

O_o

Cartoonish? I hate that damn saying. I'll show you some cartoonish.

14635545303_849a7eedea_b.jpg

Game: Real Life. Look at those false light sources, jaggies on the rims, plasticky and cartoonish looks to the panels.

I truly don't understand these discussions. Both photomodes are basically trash with one having more controls and one just having easy sliders. Until both games can capture actual imperfections you'll find in every day photos, they'll never be good. Also, to have even a believable photo you have to have good background geometry which none of these games remotely have. The sharpness and detail on these cars could be to the point where they could give even my balls a close shave but they'll always be letdown by the surroundings.

Also, with all of this plastic and cartoonish talk, shouldn't this just be an everyday GT6 vs FM5 discussion?

Last edited:
Both games look nice, GT deffo edges it, its all about lighting and GT6 has a fantastic lighting engine way beyond the static lighting of F5. Photo mode in GT6 is superior to that of F5 because of the lighting but also because of the functions and realistic camera operations, its a camera simulator really. The important point that is easily forgotten about though is that GT6 is on PS3!!! F5 is on the next gen Xbox One we should not really be able to compare these games at all, its quite incredible.

On a separate note, seeing as GT7 has been mentioned, have any of you seen the latest footage from Drive Club on PS4, its insane, incredibly realistic. I'm just thinking, if a new Dev can push that out of the PS4 imagine what Polyphony can produce ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, both games look fantastic!! Regardless of which is better, we have to admit that GT6 and PS3 sure punches way above its weight on 7 year old tech, and allot can happen in 7 years regarding tech. A huge credit to PD for sure as there really should be no comparison or debate here but there is!!

On a separate note, seeing as GT7 has been mentioned, have any of you seen the latest footage from Drive Club on PS4, its insane, incredibly realistic. I'm just thinking, if a new Dev can push that out of the PS4 imagine what Polyphony can produce ?
DriveClub sacrificed their framrate to get that graphical quality. GT7 will have double the framerate and it remains to be seen if PD can get close to DC + 24? cars on track + standing starts etc.

Back