Is Iracing cockpit view same as gt5?

United States
North East
zombieassxassin
Is the gt5 cockpit view close to iracings cockpit view? I would like like to start iracing in about 2 months and i was hoping to keep practicing with the gt5 cockpit view assuming they are similar.

Any thoughts?

Well yes and no. Cockpit view is all you can use in iracing which it looks like you already know this. In iracing you can change your field of view to how much dash/steering wheel you want to see. It's nice being able to adjust the FOV. In iracing people use all different kinds of screen from 55 inch tvs to triple 22 inch monitors and everything in between so having just one FOV wouldn't work so well.

Yeah, Papyrus has always had the option to adjust FOV. Even back to NASCAR Racing 4 and all those had that option.

i use 76% just for instance about 90+ is where gt5's FOV is. the BIG FOV is great for a BIG screen, but in iracing its on a much smaller screen, must closer to my seat. i bet FOV is even smaller when you have true triple screens.

I have been using the chase view for a year in gt5. I spent an hour using the cockpit view in gt5 for the first and it was like learning to drive all over again. Seems like the gt5 in car mirrors are off a bit, but i guess it just takes some getting used to. I ran a gt500 car and a nascar.

Changing the FOV too much from default will warp everything, big screen or not.

You mean, changing it from the correct will causing warping right? The default fov is not necessarily the correct one.

You can adjust the fov in gt5 too you know. You change it in quick settings in the pause menu.

You can adjust the fov in gt5 too you know. You change it in quick settings in the pause menu.

Yeah, but in GT5 there's only three settings. In iRacing you can adjust it from like 45 degrees to maybe 160? not sure what the upper limit is.

iRacing maxes at 179 for three screens, and I think 160 or so for a single screen.

The good part about iRacing is that is has a built in calculator that puts you at exactly the right FOV by inputting the width of your monitor(s), angles (if you have triple screens), and distance from the screen(s). The amount it gives you may not feel correct at first, but this is a hotly debated subject on the iRacing forums, USE WHATEVER THE CALCULATOR TELLS YOU TO if you want the best racing experience. If you really don't like it, try moving closer to your monitor. I'd have to look again, but I think with my triple 23" screen setup my FOV is like 128. Normally a single screen, even close to you, will be a much lower number than that.

I like it better because you can turn off the hands which i find distracting

but I don't like how in iRacing you can only adjust the screen in and out and up and down but not side to side ...

Can you move side to side in a real vehicle?

Seat height and fore/aft can easily be adjusted, but I don't know of any cars that allow you to move the seats left and right. iRacing puts you in the driver's position.

My iRacing FOV is at 93 degrees with a single 24" screen, I sit roughly a meter away from it and that works for me pretty neatly, it let's me see the surroundings a lot better, even though I can't see superbly far away, which isn't a big deal for me. People seem to run a lot smaller fov's usually, I don't really understand why, seems like I see the world through binoculars if I set it to something like <70. GT5 Fov is about 75 probably at the widest setting, that's too small for me.

Emponator:

The best explanation that I have seen as to why the iRacing calculated FOV is the technically correct FOV goes something like this:

Imagine that your monitor is your window into the real world of racing. For the most accurate feel, you want things to be life size, this allows you to best judge distances as you would in real life. So take your monitor and imagine it in your car with you sitting 1 meter away. You aren't going to see much at all, but things will be the proper proportions at least.

This is why the two best ways to increase your FOV the correct way is to move the screen closer to you, get a larger screen, or get multiple screens, or any combination of the three.

Hope this makes sense. I didn't really get it at first either, but when explained that way it made perfect sense.

Can you move side to side in a real vehicle?

Seat height and fore/aft can easily be adjusted, but I don't know of any cars that allow you to move the seats left and right. iRacing puts you in the driver's position.

I think if you use that Glovepie program you can adjust all parameters with correct 3D perspective? I have not used this program so I cannot say if it has value.
:dunce:

Back