Is it me or do controller have the advantage!!?

• Thread starter Racelow
  • 149 comments

Racelow

(Banned)
Germany
Germany
I got the t150 from GameStop. It seem like those controller players keep being wobbly but still keep speed like in forza. I'm on the wheel and if I wobble I will spin-out like in pcars. Do anybody know if they have a slight advantage because this can be annoying and unfair.

I don't know if pad drivers have an advantage, but I know wheel drivers have more fun..
Now seriously, I've always been a good racer with the pad, winning and getting gold at all the licenses. GT 5 I bought a Logitech g25 and was just as quick.
Now I bought the tm t150 after a few days of playing with a pad and there's no doubt (in my mind) that with the wheel I'm faster and even don't have to think as much about what I'm doing.
And as I said, the fun factor is waaay better.

I can play racing games with both a controller and wheel and the difference I notice is that it's much easier to be consistant with a wheel whereas you have to be precise with a controller in order to be consistant- steering wheel and throttle and brakes has more travel on a wheel than a controller so weaving through that S will be almost exactly the same everytime with a wheel.

I got the t150 from GameStop. It seem like those controller players keep being wobbly but still keep speed like in forza. I'm on the wheel and if I wobble I will spin-out like in pcars. Do anybody know if they have a slight advantage because this can be annoying and unfair.

Wheel is faster. More difficult the car is to drive, bigger the advantage.

You just need time to get used to a wheel... it's not instant, and likely will take you a month or so to get proficient.

How long have you been playing with the wheel? Like Stotty said it takes practice to get good.

My take on this is that any wheel will eventually make for better and more consistent laptimes for sim type racing games (I am not sure about arcade racing or rally, however). Even a cheap, non-FFB wheel or motion controls on the PS4 pad should give better results. This is due to the imprecise nature of tapping the directional sticks during turns.

I think over time the wheel is faster just because it is more precise. It is easier to maintain the same cornering with the wheel rather than using DS4 because you have to be really precise there (I'm currently using DS4 and looking for a wheel simply because it takes so much more effort being consistent. BTW I'm using motion control sensor so I guess I won't be needing that much time to get used to a wheel). So basically a good wheel user will be able to handle, for example, RR/MR cars better than DS4 simply because he can be more precise. Another superior advantage, and in my opinion the biggest, is the pedals that wheel users use. They have a greater moving arc allowing precise control of braking/throttling which results in better exist speed of the corners.

So long story short - a wheel will not make you better instantly but it will definitely make you more precise - it might take a week or a few months but in the long term you will be faster due to being more precise and able to control your brake/throttle.

Sounds like you need to get used to the wheel. It takes some time (I almost returned my DFGT when I first got it because I just kept spinning), but once you get there you won't regret it.

Controllers will always have an advantage on racing games because that's how these games are made you don't want millions of people complaining that it's too had to drive with a controller..I remember when pcars 1 got released everyone complained on there that it was too hard to use a controller so the adjusted the hidden assists with a patch

Well it's not unfair - everyone who has a PS4 has a DS4, so "if you can't beat them, join them" and use the DS4.

Anyway, which is more realistic to you? F7 or pCars?

Oh and if you set up a lobby you can limit the assists available - maybe that will help you beat those pesky DS4 users.

Maybe your just not very good? Any racing game with the option of using a wheel, The fastest people will use a wheel these are simple facts that with practice a wheel is faster, Have you tried drifting with a DS4 before the patches? It was the best part of impossible, Wheel users had a huge advantage there and always will in every other area too.

The game is overcompensating for controller.

You can watch people streaming their play, and a controller player can carry a very much less precise line and keep the same result as a wheel driver who is minding every line precisely.

It doesn't matter. Playing with a wheel is a monsterously better experience.

The major advantage controllers have is the wheels go straight when you let go. This can be very wierd sensation when you are used to a wheel.

I always liken this question to the stick vs. pad debates in fighting games. One allows for more precision over the other (stick), which means a higher skill ceiling (takes some practice) but ultimately, improving with it will improve your gameplay.

For me, the biggest advantage of a wheel (aside from immersion, which is the biggest draw, IMO) is that you can be much more fluid in your movements. When you're pushing a car to the limits of traction, controlling the attitude of the car is everything.

Well it's not unfair - everyone who has a PS4 has a DS4, so "if you can't beat them, join them" and use the DS4.

Oh and if you set up a lobby you can limit the assists available - maybe that will help you beat those pesky DS4 users.
It's real hard to want to go back to a co
With assists. It like driving you personal car to work in the morning with a remote instead of a steering wheel.

Maybe your just not very good? Any racing game with the option of using a wheel, The fastest people will use a wheel these are simple facts that with practice a wheel is faster, Have you tried drifting with a DS4 before the patches? It was the best part of impossible, Wheel users had a huge advantage there and always will in every other area too.

I be like in a lobby race on nuburing track and the guy in front is making like 10 mistakes to my zero mistakes and he still wins the race

I've seen a couple of fast guys with controllers and it's funny at times seeing their front wheels twitch rapidly left right left right left right through a corner and they still maintain high speed.

In the end if this game wasn't playable with a controller the online user base would be about 80 90% less than what it is now. It should be all about having fun and if they get an extra hidden assist or two to help them out then whatever. Also every controller guy I know of who moved to a wheel is just as fast with a wheel as he was with the controller because it's all about knowing your braking points the correct line Etc

Last edited:
ban aids in sport mode!
or at least tie it to scoring or ratings or something...
i think cockpit should be locked by grouping in sport mode. That to me should be addressed. Driving lines and cones should be included as well. PD hadn't thought a lot of this minor stuff through.

sony bravia 40inch. Just nice to put it that close. tried my other tv ,50inch ...but gone back to 40inch...
perfect ...in the process of building a single screen rig and this was something i needed to know.. it seems not many people discuss size outside of trips. Your viewing angle looks narrow, how do you manage with no rear view?

Last edited by a moderator:
i
perfect ...in the process of building a single screen rig and this was something i needed to know.. it seems not many people discuss size outside of trips. Your viewing angle looks narrow, how do you manage with no rear view?
i sit a bit low..more to formula style, but my wheel is like v8sc position.

so I need to use tilting vesa mount so I can maximise the view.

I use radar if cockpit cam dont have rear mirror

i

i sit a bit low..more to formula style, but my wheel is like v8sc position.

so I need to use tilting vesa mount so I can maximise the view.

I use radar if cockpit cam dont have rear mirror
The radar is so unnatural...guess I'll try it again.

Never mind people. I was riding withe hardly no assisist and I added all those assists and now im doing better. Thank you.

Last edited:
Peeps, I was going to start a thread about this until I saw this one.

A couple of evenings play over the holidays, saving replays and watching other players from the onboard view has me convinced that in certain areas the way GTS is configured for the controllers means the controllers have the advantage. In *some* areas. Examples:

1) Long up hill L-R-L-R sections at Kyoto driving park – Yamagiwa and long uphill R-L-L-R at Maggiore GP: With a wheel (I have Logitech G29) the slightest correction means you stop gaining speed and/or lose a couple of MPH. With a controller I watched them twitch constantly whilst GAINING speed.
2) Trail braking zones: Most recently the Daily race yday at Kyoto/Yamigawa. Trail braking into T4 (the hairpin Left-hander) . There was a guy following me who kept over-speeding in, running wide and then was able to pretty much keep the same distance to me once we were up through 2nd, 3rd gears. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Over speed in with a wheel, you just have to wait wait wait for the car to straighten before you get on the power.

Anyway, just an observation. I think the more we play the more we see the odd tiny glitch in what is a totally immersive 10/10 game. I for one think this is the best racing game ever. I'm sure this is the final version that doesn't lead with VR also. I guess next one will be on PS5 and be mainly developed for VR mask with just 2d screen 2nd.

I'm sure this is the final version that doesn't lead with VR also. I guess next one will be on PS5 and be mainly developed for VR mask with just 2d screen 2nd.

Apparently this is the 'next one' as I'm sure I read somewhere that everything has taken this long as they designed this game to run on the next PS update (meaning PS5) so I can't really see a 'next one' for at least another 5 years or so (assuming PS5 is expected in 2020). I'd suggest the plan is to continue to add more content and features, such as weather/time etc. as time goes by and by the time the next gen PS is out they'll release a patch which will add VR for that platform using the same game.

I got my T150 (first wheel) in September. A little over two weeks ago my gas pedal
spring broke. Currently waiting on Thrustmaster to send me a new spring.

Now that I am using a controller again, I found every car extremely tight. In some cases, I am up to two seconds slower and struggling significantly.

What is DS4?

Last edited by a moderator:
and first post after a long time :)

So my G25 does not work but I am OK with that - been playing GTSport with controller and having a great time. I am not able to beat folks on my friends list times - whom I know have wheels but still getting gold where I need it.

Wheel is better for feeling part of the game but it is not ruining my experience not having a wheel.

Going to have my first online session shortly as the house is all mine.... :)

loving this new GT though :)

Back