Is it possible to hack or cheat?

We can't, sure. Visually it's going to be difficult of course, but PD is able to do it mathematically, if they just want to take the effort.

Well, the idea is that even if they detect something suspicious they can't really claim who is the cheater.

As you may guess the cheat involves replicating another fast lap using its downloadable ghost. How? Well, you'll need to reverse the Hadhoc scripting language which is used internally by the game which is not hard but very time consuming (few hundred of PPC ASM instructions), the full interpreter is embedded on the game binary. At this point you should be able to extract the inputs data from the ghost file. You just need to build a "fake wheel" to send the extracted data instead of real inputs. To make the whole thing less noticeable you could slightly modify the inputs, you can even get a faster lap with some fine tuning.

As I said, some knowledge is required :lol:

ODB
Yeah, according to another thread posted on this forum, just by dropping gears down too fast or using handbrake is already cheating, so yeah, you only have to play the game and you can cheat by accident almost... I mean just... :boggled: I'm first to admit that I sometimes hit the limiter dropping down gears, but I swear it's an accident :eek:

Lol :lol:

Yeah, is it like dark matter-undetectable, or just undetectable by eye?? :D

Nobody said it was cheating. :rolleyes: Damn ODB, get off your high horse. It was referred to as arcade-style tactics, nothing about cheating. I think you are the one that used the word cheating, no one else has. You are making way more out of this than needs be.

Last edited:
Thats what Im sayin dude. It does seem the top competitors have something else adjusted but I dont want to blame anyone for anything or put aside anobody's great effprt of achievement.

Are you using the grip glitch that seems to be on these time trials? Entering the event, leaving and then re-entering can gain you grip for some reason, the top times will all be on the higher grip. (To a point)

Nobody said it was cheating. :rolleyes: Damn ODB, get off your high horse. It was referred to as arcade-style tactics, nothing about cheating. I think you are the one that used the word cheating, no one else has. You are making way more out of this than needs be.

Ok, just only think I can see in this thread is a bunch of people trying to find any reason what so ever to prove that those top guys really don't deserve to be there, witch is rather annoying and disrespectful towards those guys at the top...

Last edited:
ODB
Ok, just only think I can see in this thread is a bunch of people trying to find any reason what so ever to prove that those top guys really don't deserve to be there, witch is rather annoying and disrespectful towards those guys at the top...

Nobody is trying to prove anything of the sort as far as I can see. They are only voicing their opinions of how unrealistic they think these tactics are as opposed to real life. I think everyone here knows that the top guys will be fast no matter what, they just wish things would be more realistic as to what it is in real life, that's all.

Nobody is trying to prove anything of the sort as far as I can see. They are only voicing their opinions of how unrealistic they think these tactics are as opposed to real life. I think everyone here knows that the top guys will be fast no matter what, they just wish things would be more realistic as to what it is in real life, that's all.

Yeah, I get it no problem, sorry for being so harsh :indiff:

ODB
Yeah, I get it no problem, sorry for being so harsh :indiff:

No problems, we're all good. :cheers:

@Growling I see you tagged me but then edited your post before I could see it. :odd: Whats on your mind my good friend? :) Feel free to pm me if you don't want to discuss it openly. :) I'll me more than happy to discuss it with you either way. :cheers:

I just put in my 2p about the whole thing, then I decided It wasn't really my place to say, nor did I want to jump into the discussion, that's all.

I just put in my 2p about the whole thing, then I decided It wasn't really my place to say, nor did I want to jump into the discussion, that's all.

Alright, no problem then. Your input on things is certainly welcomed though. Whether it be right, wrong, or indifferent, everyone is certainly entitled to say what's on their mind. You know, I've been told that many times, that it wasn't my place to say and that I should just keep my mouth shut because I don't have a clue.....sometimes though, I just can't help myself. :lol:

Are you using the grip glitch that seems to be on these time trials? Entering the event, leaving and then re-entering can gain you grip for some reason, the top times will all be on the higher grip. (To a point)
Seriously dude?

Last edited by a moderator:
@eran0004 Be on the lookout in the near future for my GTP_CargoRatt account on the leaderboards in the 3rd round. Getting ready to run a few laps later on, on that account just for, you know, fun. :sly: ;) Everyone here knows my skillset so................;)

Last edited:
Maybe the thread title has him thinking that? :odd:

Alright @eran0004 and anyone else, the bar has been set in Round 3. If you think I'm cheating, prove it. Hell, you can even turn in my account if you so wish. No one will ever know one way or the other, "Is it live, or is it Memorex CargoRatt" ;)

Well, the idea is that even if they detect something suspicious they can't really claim who is the cheater.

As you may guess the cheat involves replicating another fast lap using its downloadable ghost. How? Well, you'll need to reverse the Hadhoc scripting language which is used internally by the game which is not hard but very time consuming (few hundred of PPC ASM instructions), the full interpreter is embedded on the game binary. At this point you should be able to extract the inputs data from the ghost file. You just need to build a "fake wheel" to send the extracted data instead of real inputs. To make the whole thing less noticeable you could slightly modify the inputs, you can even get a faster lap with some fine tuning.

As I said, some knowledge is required :lol:

If so, it would be easy to identify the cheater. The 2nd one in date who did the same time.

id be interested to see if someone could write a code that made the perfect lap, then automaticially invalidated it a fraction before the finish (so it didn't count) and then compare it to what humans can do

I remember hearing somewhere that no matter how late it is real drivers are always trying to regain control thinking theres a chance they can save it. Lol

Back in the CART days before American open wheel was destroyed by one families greed,when drivers lost it in a corner they locked up and prepared to meet the wall (ovals). Then Juan Montoya came along and his responce was to floor it and try to stay off the wall. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but when it did it was one hell of a recovery. Anyone can drive fast but only a chosen few can control a car on that fine line and walk away with the last .001 of the cars capabilities.
Someone that nails the apex at the start of a straight will carry a little more speed down to the end of the straight. But someone 10-20 car lenghts ahead of everyone else in that car sets off all the alarms in my mind. In my mind if I'm scratching my head saying how did that person do that, well to me that means they more than likely didn't do it on their own like everyone else.

As to caring enough to catch cheaters. As I'm new to the online side of the GT series racing I've asked about the cheaters and what i've seen so far and by far the most often given explanation is lag. They have to want to catch it to have a chance to catch it.

Back in the CART days before American open wheel was destroyed by one families greed,when drivers lost it in a corner they locked up and prepared to meet the wall (ovals). Then Juan Montoya came along and his responce was to floor it and try to stay off the wall. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but when it did it was one hell of a recovery. Anyone can drive fast but only a chosen few can control a car on that fine line and walk away with the last .001 of the cars capabilities.
Someone that nails the apex at the start of a straight will carry a little more speed down to the end of the straight. But someone 10-20 car lenghts ahead of everyone else in that car sets off all the alarms in my mind. In my mind if I'm scratching my head saying how did that person do that, well to me that means they more than likely didn't do it on their own like everyone else.

As to caring enough to catch cheaters. As I'm new to the online side of the GT series racing I've asked about the cheaters and what i've seen so far and by far the most often given explanation is lag. They have to want to catch it to have a chance to catch it.
I was 20th last night. I dont see any cheaters in the USA.

I was 20th last night. I dont see any cheaters in the USA.

I would say that qualifies you as one of the chosen few. I wasn't accusing anyone of cheating, BUT, like real world racing where cheating is the norm, there are always those looking to find an edge.

I knew people that walked away a few years back rather then run the grass as most of the top of the leaderboard did. Fixing it after the fact did not undo the damage. Give people a way to cheat and there will be those who use it to their advantage. Ethics, much like common sense are not as common as they could/should be.

Congratulations on your position my best is a low 133:... I have respect for those that take it to the limit.

I would say that qualifies you as one of the chosen few. I wasn't accusing anyone of cheating, BUT, like real world racing where cheating is the norm, there are always those looking to find an edge.

I knew people that walked away a few years back rather then run the grass as most of the top of the leaderboard did. Fixing it after the fact did not undo the damage. Give people a way to cheat and there will be those who use it to their advantage. Ethics, much like common sense are not as common as they could/should be.

Congratulations on your position my best is a low 133:... I have respect for those that take it to the limit.
Currently 21st. Still in range. My codriver in SSR has a 3:26.9. :crazy: I only have a 3:27.79 right now. But I see about half a second that I can gain. And the affect tuning has is amazing. If tuning was allowed I would probably be like 200th. lol

Back